Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is God...sexist?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Honestly, as a woman, I really didn't think too much of it.

Edit: As far as the topic of discrimination is concerned. It's a patriarchal system which I'm completely okay with. I love my Father and will listen to Him.

This is a wonderful post, and demonstrates a few things that will characterize a woman of God.

So you understand, Habracha, the woman who posted the OP eventually admitted in another thread that she was a Satanist. The arguments she was presenting in this one are typical of those who serve the enemy. Even when being subtle about it, their words are actually a direct attack upon the character of God, because this is what they wish to think about constantly. Believers in Christ Jesus see the good in their heavenly Father, and in their brothers in Christ as well, and as a result don't give such questions much thought, for good reason.

Blessings in Christ.
Hidden In Him

Does the Bible ever approve Abraham's taking of many wives? No. We see instead the harm it caused in the case of Hagar, the biblical account not shading the details of what Abraham did in favor of polygamy.
No, there is neither approval nor disapproval of polygyny in the bible. In fact, it is actually commanded in certain rare instances in the Law of Moses. **

In Abraham's case, there was a specific way God wanted to provide a son and heir, and the incident with Hagar was a side-stepping and derailment of that plan. If you note, 2 generations later Jacob had the same thing happen with the slaves of his 2 wives. No criticism there at all.

*** In Duet 25 we have the command that if a man dies without leaving an heir to inherit his land and possessions, his brother is commanded to marry his widow and raise up heirs to the deceased brother. And this applies even if the surviving brother is already married. It actually predates the Law in that we see that happening in Genesis 38 where Judah's son Er died but the next brother Onan refused to get his widow Tamar pregnant; so God killed Onan. We also see it (after the Law was given) in the story of Ruth.

No, there is neither approval nor disapproval of polygyny in the bible.

I think God's view is pretty clearly indicated in Scripture, whether explicitly or implicitly. One has only to consider that God made Adam only a single woman to love as his wife, not a harem of them.

The king over Israel was not to multiply wives (Deuteronomy 17:17). There is no record in Scripture of a high priest of Israel having more than one wife. An Elder in the NT was to be the husband of one wife (1 Timothy 3:2). Jesus pointed to Adam and Eve as God's intended design for marriage (Matthew 19:4-5). In speaking of marriage, Paul never indicated polygamy was appropriate (1 Corinthians 7). As far as I'm aware, none of the apostles over the Early Church were polygamists.

Polygamy, thats another thread .I know a bit on it as I saw it first hand .one women drives me insane .no way would I want two or more they fight ,get jealous and you have to house them seperately.

Nothing good about it .

I think God's view is pretty clearly indicated in Scripture, whether explicitly or implicitly. One has only to consider that God made Adam only a single woman to love as his wife, not a harem of them.
Paul warned the Corinthians to not go beyond what is written. 1 Cor 4.6. That coming from a Pharisee, and the Pharisees had a reputation of routinely going WAY beyond the written word.

When we start trying to figure out what is hidden or implied in the text we can run into trouble since we use western logic and the bible was not written (even the NT) from a western viewpoint.
The king over Israel was not to multiply wives (Deuteronomy 17:17).
To the royal family, NOT the general public. Nowhere does it say that "multiply" meant more than one. In fact God told David that He gave him (as king) all of Saul's wives. 2 Samuel 12:8. And David already had at least 2 other wives at the time.
There is no record in Scripture of a high priest of Israel having more than one wife.
True. There is also no record or command to limit him to only one.
An Elder in the NT was to be the husband of one wife (1 Timothy 3:2).
True. Deacons as well. 1 Tim 3.12.
But that ONLY applies to congregational leadership.
Jesus pointed to Adam and Eve as God's intended design for marriage (Matthew 19:4-5).
I agree.
In speaking of marriage, Paul never indicated polygamy was appropriate (1 Corinthians 7).
Or inappropriate.

Do I like the idea of polygyny? NO. (BTW, polygyny and polygamy are NOT exactly the same thing) And YES, I believe God's intent was "one man one woman."

But HE knows that life in this fallen world has to be accounted for and has made provision for when things go south.

Paul warned the Corinthians to not go beyond what is written. 1 Cor 4.6. That coming from a Pharisee, and the Pharisees had a reputation of routinely going WAY beyond the written word.

Uh huh.

When we start trying to figure out what is hidden or implied in the text we can run into trouble since we use western logic and the bible was not written (even the NT) from a western viewpoint.

I said nothing about what was "hidden," only what is evidently implied in Scripture concerning the marriage state God intended. This doesn't require a non-western viewpoint, only a simple scrutiny of the biblical text. And as far as logic is concerned, well, it is not geography or culture-dependent but universal in the way that mathematics are. Logic can be twisted, or ignored, in a particular way in a particular region, but it's not logic when it is.

And YES, I believe God's intent was "one man one woman."

Not sure what your pushback is about, then... Are you just feeling pedantic?

im gonna add my 2 cents without reading much in this thread-
about 8 years ago i was shown the universal law of gender, how all men and women are composed of a balance of masculine and feminine, and since then, i have been daily, consistiently seeking answers to understand and define masculine and feminine, ending up with realizing that i almost completely lack feminine, and thus dont relate to most people

yes. god represents practically entirely masculine qualities
god is creator and destroyer
god is forgiving
god is honest and straightforward
god is intelligent
god acts in justice
god is objective

i could easily type a very long explanation of each of these points- the point of the matter is that the feminine is quite the opposite, the consumer (but also creator), tends to carry spite for long, operates in the subconcious and indirect, is primarily ruled by emotions which can affect judgement- i guess this last one touches the last 3 points
not to condemn the feminine for being as it is, our emotions are always valid and what we are is simply as it is
we were all given different cards as god shaped us, but how we play those cards- and how well we can play those cards correctly is what defines whether we get heaven or hell.

yes, god is sexist. so is the bible. so is nature! men and women are not the same, we are equal but in different ways. im a very competent person, but theres things im simply incapable of. sexism has mostly just become a political weapon to question and confuse the nuclear family- which is the goal of christianity.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Genesis 1:27).

Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created" (Genesis 5:2).

It is interesting to note that God called both male and female, "Adam" in the day they were created. Adam means "man." Adam and Eve were created with God-ordained differences from each other, but together they made a full "man," or a complete picture of God Himself. There was perfection in their union. Their differences were not a source of discord or inequality, but a beautiful compliment to each other. Together, God gave them the task of overseeing His creation.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth" (Genesis 1:28).

Notice that God gave the above commission to them both. There is no hint that there was anything but equal authority between man and woman as they existed in a sinless state. What changed things? In the next few chapters of Genesis, we find that sin entered the heart of Adam and Eve. The result was a temporary curse placed upon both man and woman, which would affect the whole earth.

Even though "kings" is a masculine term, this is the ultimate destination He desires for all of His people. The Lord often uses both male and female terms to refer to both sexes. Women are to live in the "hidden man of the heart" (1 Peter 3:4). Both men and women in the church are referred to as "the bride of Christ." God has both a masculine and feminine nature. The mother heart of Jesus was evident as he prayed over Jerusalem.

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Matthew 23:37).

Submission is considered to be a feminine trait. However, Jesus submitted to the cross under the direction of the Father. If we walk in the Spirit, we too will possess both the masculine aggressiveness and feminine submissiveness of God.

Both submissiveness and aggressiveness are God-given strengths. Yet, both can be perverted, so that we become submissive and aggressive in the wrong ways, with the wrong attitudes. Because these qualities are so misused and misunderstood by the world, they have become distasteful and despised. If aggression is frowned upon, submission is viewed in an even more negative light in western culture. We equate submission with weakness and lack of spirit. Nothing could be further from the truth. There was never a human being more submitted to God than Jesus Christ-- yet never was there one as completely resistant to the system of the world! It took extraordinary submissiveness and aggression for Jesus to overcome the world. For the Christian, whether we are male or female, He is our model. We are to possess His qualities and use them according to the needs around us.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Genesis 1:27).

Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created" (Genesis 5:2).

It is interesting to note that God called both male and female, "Adam" in the day they were created. Adam means "man." Adam and Eve were created with God-ordained differences from each other, but together they made a full "man," or a complete picture of God Himself. There was perfection in their union. Their differences were not a source of discord or inequality, but a beautiful compliment to each other. Together, God gave them the task of overseeing His creation.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth" (Genesis 1:28).

Notice that God gave the above commission to them both. There is no hint that there was anything but equal authority between man and woman as they existed in a sinless state. What changed things? In the next few chapters of Genesis, we find that sin entered the heart of Adam and Eve. The result was a temporary curse placed upon both man and woman, which would affect the whole earth.

Even though "kings" is a masculine term, this is the ultimate destination He desires for all of His people. The Lord often uses both male and female terms to refer to both sexes. Women are to live in the "hidden man of the heart" (1 Peter 3:4). Both men and women in the church are referred to as "the bride of Christ." God has both a masculine and feminine nature. The mother heart of Jesus was evident as he prayed over Jerusalem.

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Matthew 23:37).

Submission is considered to be a feminine trait. However, Jesus submitted to the cross under the direction of the Father. If we walk in the Spirit, we too will possess both the masculine aggressiveness and feminine submissiveness of God.

Both submissiveness and aggressiveness are God-given strengths. Yet, both can be perverted, so that we become submissive and aggressive in the wrong ways, with the wrong attitudes. Because these qualities are so misused and misunderstood by the world, they have become distasteful and despised. If aggression is frowned upon, submission is viewed in an even more negative light in western culture. We equate submission with weakness and lack of spirit. Nothing could be further from the truth. There was never a human being more submitted to God than Jesus Christ-- yet never was there one as completely resistant to the system of the world! It took extraordinary submissiveness and aggression for Jesus to overcome the world. For the Christian, whether we are male or female, He is our model. We are to possess His qualities and use them according to the needs around us.
Adam to be a husband of the garden before eve was formed

That implies dressing the place and tending it.he alone was given that command .

Adam to be a husband of the garden before eve was formed

That implies dressing the place and tending it.he alone was given that command .
Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

I understand these verses as both, Adam and Eve, were given dominion over the garden of Eden as both were also given the command not to eat of the tree of good and evil.

But probably getting off topic.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

I understand these verses as both, Adam and Eve, were given dominion over the garden of Eden as both were also given the command not to eat of the tree of good and evil.

But probably getting off topic.
Adam named the animals and eve was his help meet .

See this is a problem .

Adam was made first ,eve was to help him . This is a reflection of the Trinity .

There's authority the Father alone has .the Son acts under it .the Holy Spirit has no such right to be the Son or Father .

Yet all three are co eternal and co equal.

Man in general are to provide ,women are to nurture .while there are degrees.women these days in general eschew that and women who don't wul have to teach that to the others.

Like wise men who are feminine will have to be taught otherwise .

Jaci is a tomboy .as is Monica And my wife ,yet they ,jaci is a bit young,haven't lost their feminine side .

If I had to correct jaci bullying .I wouldn't put gloves on and grapple her.i could but it's not on general a good way .

If Nathan then it's on .I can show him it sucks to be tapped and mahe him cry but not hurt him

In general doing that to jaci would harm her more then simply scare her into stopping .
That said I have played and grappled jaci .she would start it and attack me .in time perhaps this year I will look into range time with jaci .her mom already has hunted and has guns .jaci will know weapons safety. I didn't like storing a gun on vacation like they did two years ago with her and would clear it and unload the clip from the gun and return it that way .should jaci find it and it would be harder for her to harm herself by playing with it .

But I digress
You can't ignore the fact eve was built to bare children . Each having a role .not equal as in Adam having a uterus .

My wife has gifts that I cant do and vice versa .I am to lead .not her . Sadly she won't believe . It's not bullying her into God .it's guiding her and kids into the kingdom.

A man protects physically , spiritually and provides .

A wife supports the husband In the nurturing of the children into the Lord. To do that which he can't .

Adam named the animals and eve was his help meet .

See this is a problem .

Adam was made first ,eve was to help him . This is a reflection of the Trinity .

There's authority the Father alone has .the Son acts under it .the Holy Spirit has no such right to be the Son or Father .

Yet all three are co eternal and co equal.

Man in general are to provide ,women are to nurture .while there are degrees.women these days in general eschew that and women who don't wul have to teach that to the others.

Like wise men who are feminine will have to be taught otherwise .

Jaci is a tomboy .as is Monica And my wife ,yet they ,jaci is a bit young,haven't lost their feminine side .

If I had to correct jaci bullying .I wouldn't put gloves on and grapple her.i could but it's not on general a good way .

If Nathan then it's on .I can show him it sucks to be tapped and mahe him cry but not hurt him

In general doing that to jaci would harm her more then simply scare her into stopping .
That said I have played and grappled jaci .she would start it and attack me .in time perhaps this year I will look into range time with jaci .her mom already has hunted and has guns .jaci will know weapons safety. I didn't like storing a gun on vacation like they did two years ago with her and would clear it and unload the clip from the gun and return it that way .should jaci find it and it would be harder for her to harm herself by playing with it .

But I digress
You can't ignore the fact eve was built to bare children . Each having a role .not equal as in Adam having a uterus .

My wife has gifts that I cant do and vice versa .I am to lead .not her . Sadly she won't believe . It's not bullying her into God .it's guiding her and kids into the kingdom.

A man protects physically , spiritually and provides .

A wife supports the husband In the nurturing of the children into the Lord. To do that which he can't .
I'm not talking about transgender, but that both man and woman carry a masculine and feminine side, not as a he-she, but the traits/nature as in the character of God that makes us co-equal with each other like that of Galatians 3:28.

I'm not talking about transgender, but that both man and woman carry a masculine and feminine side, not as a he-she, but the traits/nature as in the character of God that makes us co-equal with each other like that of Galatians 3:28.

I'm going to nit pick.

God made directly ,he made eve out of Adam .

The concept of equal is in spiritual relationship but not responsiblities.

The qualifications of an elder list a husband must be of one wife .he must rule his house well ,meaning he can teach ,guide etc well .

God the Father didn't die on the Cross ,Jesus did.these are equal but not acting the same in a relationship.

Hi guys,

I see this is a very, very old thread. Someone must have revived it. So, beginning with the opening premise of whether or not God, the one true and living God of the Hebrew Scriptures, is sexist?

My answer is going to depend on 'how' one defines the word. If by sexist, you mean that anyone who thinks that people have separate responsibilities and functions based on their gender, then yes, God is sexist. He established fathers (men) as the head of the household. This is made quite clear in the teaching on head coverings by Paul. The priests of the temple were always to be men from the line of Levi. So yes, God does see that the man and the woman have different abilities that he created in them to perform specific gender specific functions in life. And the most compelling evidence is that we don't yet have a man who has delivered a baby from his womb.

If, however, the definition follows more along the line of whether or not He has some bias towards one over the other because they have these different functions in life, that he created in them, then no, God is not sexist. He holds each one of us dear to His heart. How do we know that? Because John 3:16 doesn't use gender pronouns.

God bless,
Ted

Back