Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is Playing Mature Rated Games Alright?

Armor of God said:
[quote="Twisted Hawk":2ry6otce][quote="Armor of God":2ry6otce]
Please explain to me how filling your mind with a franchise like Grand Theft Auto, a game based on organized crime, murder, carjacking, and rape is profitable to your Christian Walk? Or pick any other "M" game based on simulations where the character you are controlling is participating in graphic murder as entertainment.

He never said what kind of M rated games he enjoys. I presume quite a few christians would not enjoy a game like GTA.

Armor of God said:
Would you feel comfortable with your senior pastor sitting next to you as you hack and kill your way across the screen? Or the Lord himself?

If it is a simple online shooter, then yes. I see no harm in online gaming.

Armor of God said:
Also have you considered Psalm 11:5? The LORD examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates.

If it's an online shooter, I can hardly call that loving violence. I can understand in some cases though. Also, if your a poor sport while playing, this applies to you.

Armor of God said:
Sorry, but for anyone who claims to love the Lord yet uses graphic violence as entertainment is showing an immature attitude.

See Romans 14[/quote:2ry6otce]

1) He said "M" rated games but then backpedaled a bit and qualified it after I challenged him. So there are some "M" games Christians shouldn't play which contradicts his original statement.

2) Same thing as #1. Most (if not nearly all) "M" games are inappropriate for Christians. I'm sure I can pick an "M" rated on-line shooter game that is full of profanity and extremely bloody and you would not play for the pastor. So once again, this shows there are limits a Christian should take with the proper spiritual discernment.

3) If you live for shooter video games, as many do, how can you not call that loving violence? What does being a poor sport have anything to with it?

4) Romans 14 has to do with liberty in Christ. Scripture says all things are allowable but not everything is profitable. If there is even a doubt, a doubt by the way many other believers share with me, that bloody & violent video games are inappropriate, then why even go there? Nobody is saying to quit gaming altogether but perhaps it's worth listening to brothers and sisters who say your not making the best decisions being engrossed in violence when our Lord is emphasizing peace and love so much.[/quote:2ry6otce]

A couple of thoughts...

1. I did not back pedal. You claimed that me playing M rated games was bad and moving away from my walk with God. I challenged you and presented some examples of M rated games I do play. You have not responded on whether you still think that these specific games do what you claim.

2. I disagree. No game is innappropriate for Christians. They have to discern for themselves what could lead them astray. I can firmly say that no M rated game that I have played has led me away from God and my walk with him. Why? Because it is nothing but entertainment. When I turn off that video game my behavior and life is not impacted negatively. My morals are not impacted nor what I say and do.

3. I can play shooters and deplore violence. I play video games for a couple of reasons. Sometimes it's to be told a story other times to hang out with my friends and play some objective based games. Most of the time to get a welcomed distraction from the enormity of life sometimes so I can destress and get a bit of a break. Nothing wrong with any of these things. I am not shooting real people when I play video games. I deplore violence in the real world. There is no room for it. That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a great action flick or first person shooter.

4. Again, playing video games is not being engrossed by violence. It's a freakin video game for crying out loud. :)

Aero_Hudson said:
My second question is how are video games any different from movies or books? The only difference is that you get to experience the action being described or viewed in the other two media and in some cases you get to move the story in the direction you decide to take as you progress through the game.

I like your points, and I am sorry for not replying to my own post for a while but I was enjoying what you guy s were saying but I must say something here, videos are very different because you are a lot more involved than a book or movie for you put your whole self in the characters shoes, in a way you become that person for a short period of time, and for some they remain that person afterwards.

All I'll say is that you should never get involved in anything that might cause you to sin. So if a video game makes you angry and want to curse, then don't play it. If a woman makes you think in a way you shouldn't (this happens to me all the time and causes me to sin often...there are so many influences on TV, but that's the world.) then look away. As Jesus said, if your hand causes you to sin cut it off and if your eye causes you to sin then gouge it out. It's not just about staying out of hell and away from God's severe judgment, but also keeping in fellowship with Him otherwise you will most likely be miserable. And I say this knowing exactly what it's like...I hate sinning.

I like to study warfare part of my time, and some war games give me an idea on what battle meothods and don't work. But I'm disheartened by all the extra violence in the realistic war games these days. And most of them don't even protray war correctly,so...

What does it mean to have fun?
Adults can have "fun" mature relationships, but that does not mean that they should.

Paul cautions us that while we have freedom in Christ, not everything is profitable.

You're comparing direct involvement with a sexually immoral relationship to indirect involvement as a player in a world that is not tangible or real. I would say it's not in the same ballpark.

As for your second question, the mature content in most video games does not even come close to the content in the Bible. Think about it, war, killing, murder, the crucifixion of Christ alone would get an M rating if it were in any video game.

If you can learn a lesson or stimulate your brain with a video game and if you are firm in your faith, I would say it's not wrong. I play Call of Duty games because I think they're challenging and I enjoy the sportsmanship. Are there other challenging sportsman like games? Sure. Would I ever pick up a gun and start blasting away at people? No.

You're comparing direct involvement with a sexually immoral relationship to indirect involvement as a player in a world that is not tangible or real. I would say it's not in the same ballpark.

Why did God flood the world?

Genesis 6:5And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 7And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Confirmed after the flood:

Genesis 8: 20And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. 21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. 22While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

What Christ did because of it:

Colossians 1:20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

What we are called to do with our minds:

2 Corinthians 10:4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Philippians 4:7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Now we know this truth:

1 Corinthians 6:9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 12All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10: 23All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 Corinthians 15:33Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. 34Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

If a person lusts after a woman, he has already committed adultery in his heart.

If God cares about the inside more than the outside: maybe we should pay attention if certain enjoyment or pleasure is feeding the old nature of sin.

James 1:14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16Do not err, my beloved brethren.

I reckon if the peace of God is missing in the life of a believing game player: take a break from playing and see if that is not the cause. If so, then read His words.

John 8:30As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Hebrews 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

If God would judge us by our wicked imaginations: how would He spare those that are His for playing somebody else's wicked imagination and be entertained by it?

Matthew 6:22The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

John 8:11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. 12Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1 John 1:6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

John 11:9Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world. 10But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Ephesians 5:1Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

Should playing wicked video games be named among the saints?

To be honest, I've had a different outlook on all video games during these last few days, and I am going to purge almost my entire video game cabinet. Only the most pure sports and racing games shale remain. Not one game with a gun, nor not one game with an unclean spirit, nor one game with a word of cuss, nor one game with an unmoral action, nor one game with violence, nor any other game that go against the word of the lord shale remain.

It depends on the person, the game, and why you are playing in it.

If you are mentally mature enough to clearly see the line between good, evil, reality, and fiction, then yes, I think it is alright. For instance, I have played quite a few M rated games, such as Halo, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Red Faction, ect. I am also a devout Christian, who reads the Bible, prays to God, and generally tried to do what I believe to be the "Right" thing in life. Has playing violent video games negatively impacted my life or religion in any way? I do not think so. When I do play games, I try to place myself in the character, if possible. For instance, in Mass Effect, where there are thousands of dialogue options, and you can be good, evil, or both. I just did what *I* would do in real life. I tried to settle every dispute peacefully, and only fired a weapon when absolutely necessary. Even when I did, I was always fighting the "Bad guys", rather than turning on civilians, allies, or the like. I even put myself between an ally and an enemy once, to save the ally at my own risk of being killed. In a way, video games can even be used to test you. Games like Mass Effect offer complex moral decisions sometimes, that if you are playing like me by putting yourself in the shoes of the character, you can even discover what you would do in a situation like the one in front of you. Of course, if I had played this game five years ago, or even three, I doubt I would have put much thought into any of it, or even played the hero, simply because I wasn't mature enough to do anything in a game besides what looked like the most "Fun" at the time. This is where age and maturity come in. I believe it is *very* important not to let young children play certain games or watch certain movies before they are "Ready". I have an older brother who decides when and what I can play, and I am grateful for that, even though I didn't use to be. A few years ago, I was annoyed with him that I couldn't play more games, when I thought that I should be allowed to. Back then, it was just about what was fun to do, and no thought was put into it. If I had played Mass Effect, or Jade Empire when I was twelve, I probably would have just slaughtered civilians, and most of the other people. I understand now why my brother didn't let me play certain games for so long, and I am grateful.

It also depends on the game itself. Games like Mass Effect, Jade Empire and KotOR are made so well that you actually think about what you're doing. I feel bad when someone dies in those games. Take a different game, such as Red Faction: Guerrilla for example. The game is about destruction, rather than story or choices. The AI is so bad, that the NPCs don't feel real enough to care about. When I kill an NPC in that game, I don't feel anything because it didn't feel like a real person at all. I see those NPC's as pixels on the screen for me to conquer, whereas in other games you might actually think of them as a real person.

Why you are playing it is also important. Are you playing for the fun, the challenge, the competition, or the experience? I play games like Team Fortress 2 and Red Faction for fun. There is nothing to think about, there is almost no storyline, it is just for fun. Yes, I enjoy killing and being killed by my brothers in Team Fortress 2. I don't play it to kill my enemies, or be better than the others, I play it for the same reason someone might play a boardgame. It tests your skill against a friend's in a non-competitive manner. Games I play for the challenge, are games like Mario. Does anyone actually feel like they're "Killing" anything when they push the buttons to jump on the sprite's head? I don't. I play it to beat the game, to challenge my hand reflexes. As for competition, I just don't play games for competition. Games like Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic are for the "Experience", because they let you live as someone else, the way you want to. They give you something to think about, unlike most games.

All in all, I'll just say it depends.

Oh, I just remembered something. Here is something written by a friend of mine, who is also a Christian gamer: Being a Christian and a gamer, at the same time blog - Paradigmthefallen - Mod DB

I'm tired...I hope that all made sense, and I don't seem like some blabbering idiot, lol...

I agree with what Garyn said about the type of person playing etc. I play a whole bunch of mature rated games, ranging from shoot em ups, horrors, games like GTA etc, but even though I enjoy playing them, I'm not going to grab the nearest blunt object and go out and bludgeon people to death. Doing something like that in a game is one thing; it's fiction, not real, but I would never even consider doing the sort of things depicted in these video games in real life.

Actually, thinking about it, I remember asking a Vicar about something like this, only with death metal music instead of M rated games, and she said that it's okay as long as it doesn't negatively effect you. I assume the same goes for video games.

Thou shall note that exposure to sin leads to thy sinning. Indeed, one must see sin's apparent joy to say that sin is enjoyable, and thy exposure shall lead you to it.

:chin WHY is it rated "mature" in the first place? That's red flag right at the start.

I think it's wise to realize that the human brain --your brain-- does not know the difference between real and virtual.

The more you play a game (any game, good or not) you are programming your brain.

This is connected to the Biblical concepts of faith, and of the law of attraction work (and of course the main reason is this is the way God wired our brains.)

Remember the method of politicians and others who keep repeating a lie and finally people believe it. They have programmed their brains to the myth that has now become a 'fact' so to speak.

I would caution that we need to play games that are healthy for us, and not detrimental.

Shooting inanimate things is probably okay, shooting people is not (unless it's training in military etc...for work to make you better and safer etc. That way you also get the safety trainings LOL):salute

No nudity is acceptable. Yes, pornography is a real addiction and it can begin with the idea that it doesn't really affect you personally...

And I arrive back at the WHY ...why is it for adult audiences only? (But truly, since those ratings come from the secular world, you can't rely upon even the lower age ratings either, imo.)

A few questions to ask yourself....

Would you play that with Jesus?

Would you watch that with Jesus?

Would you say that with Jesus around?

Here is the kicker, Jesus is with us, His spirit lives inside us, and he sees all and knows all.

Use your judgment.

God bless

Armor of God said:
[quote="Twisted Hawk":2ry6otce]

He never said what kind of M rated games he enjoys. I presume quite a few christians would not enjoy a game like GTA.

If it is a simple online shooter, then yes. I see no harm in online gaming.

If it's an online shooter, I can hardly call that loving violence. I can understand in some cases though. Also, if your a poor sport while playing, this applies to you.

See Romans 14[/quote:2ry6otce]

1) He said "M" rated games but then backpedaled a bit and qualified it after I challenged him. So there are some "M" games Christians shouldn't play which contradicts his original statement.

2) Same thing as #1. Most (if not nearly all) "M" games are inappropriate for Christians. I'm sure I can pick an "M" rated on-line shooter game that is full of profanity and extremely bloody and you would not play for the pastor. So once again, this shows there are limits a Christian should take with the proper spiritual discernment.

3) If you live for shooter video games, as many do, how can you not call that loving violence? What does being a poor sport have anything to with it?

4) Romans 14 has to do with liberty in Christ. Scripture says all things are allowable but not everything is profitable. If there is even a doubt, a doubt by the way many other believers share with me, that bloody & violent video games are inappropriate, then why even go there? Nobody is saying to quit gaming altogether but perhaps it's worth listening to brothers and sisters who say your not making the best decisions being engrossed in violence when our Lord is emphasizing peace and love so much.[/quote:2ry6otce]

A couple of thoughts...

1. I did not back pedal. You claimed that me playing M rated games was bad and moving away from my walk with God. I challenged you and presented some examples of M rated games I do play. You have not responded on whether you still think that these specific games do what you claim.

2. I disagree. No game is innappropriate for Christians. They have to discern for themselves what could lead them astray. I can firmly say that no M rated game that I have played has led me away from God and my walk with him. Why? Because it is nothing but entertainment. When I turn off that video game my behavior and life is not impacted negatively. My morals are not impacted nor what I say and do.

3. I can play shooters and deplore violence. I play video games for a couple of reasons. Sometimes it's to be told a story other times to hang out with my friends and play some objective based games. Most of the time to get a welcomed distraction from the enormity of life sometimes so I can destress and get a bit of a break. Nothing wrong with any of these things. I am not shooting real people when I play video games. I deplore violence in the real world. There is no room for it. That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a great action flick or first person shooter.

4. Again, playing video games is not being engrossed by violence. It's a freakin video game for crying out loud. :)

I disagree about the online shooters. Mainly because the goal of an online shooter is to kill either a certain number of enemy solders in a certain amount of time before the rival team does, or to shoot as many enemy solders in a given amount of time.

Let's ask a few questions:

1) Why do you play these games?

2) How do these games benefit your walk with the Lord?

3) Would you drink a glass of water if that glass of water had just a pinch of dirt in it?

1) Because they're fun.

Additionally, in terms of "bang-for-your-buck" value, almost any video game beats any movie hands down. Movie ticket price: about $10-$12 for about 2 hours, or $5-$6 per hour. Most video games these days are $59 dollars new, and most will give you a minimum of 15 hours playtime, most much more than that, up to 100+ hours. So we're talking a worst case senario of $3.93/hour and up to or over $0.59/hour.

Personally, most of my gaming time, which averages about 3 hours/week, is spent playing on-line multiplayer games with two to four friends who I otherwise never see anymore. It's a great way to do something together when we can't actually get together.

2) They don't, but then again they don't, in and of themselves, hurt it either.

You might as well ask how playing Sorry!, or RISK, or Monopoly benefits your walk with the Lord. Playing games, of any kind, are generally neutral - neither benefiting one's christian life nor enhancing it (I actually think taking some time out to play every now and then will enhance one's relationship with most people, including Christ). The question that everyone needs to answer is whether we, as followers of Christ, must spend 100% of our free time doing "religious" things. I don't think it's necessary. The thing is, most people spend no time at all pursuing a relationship with Christ, in which case spending some time during the week playing video games, or any games, is the least of their problems.

3) Not really a relevant question (and yes, I understand the metaphor).

Are there games out there that are poisoneous to a healthy spiritual life? Sure. Like anything, video games can be abused by their creators and their players, but video games, even M rated ones, aren't spiritually harmful by nature. That a video game contains violence does not tell me whether it's spiritually harmful or immoral, I make such conclusions from the context of the violence. It is my understanding that there are positive uses and expressions of violence, and in some cases violence is not only justified but righteous. But we can only know that from the context.

M rated games for me are a turn off. Same goes for films. Anything with graphic nudity makes me sick to my stomach. :verysick

I can't see how playing a game with nudity in it can be good for anyone. Porn is very addicting to many, especially to men.

M rated games for me are a turn off. Same goes for films. Anything with graphic nudity makes me sick to my stomach. :verysick

I can't see how playing a game with nudity in it can be good for anyone. Porn is very addicting to many, especially to men.

I agree about the nudity, Inzl. I find that that sensual graphic nudity (I have seen other kinds in some films) is far more damaging to the mind than graphic violence. For me, the appropriateness of violence has always been highly contextual - I am far less disturbed by the graphic-ness of depicted violence than I am by amoral or immoral violence depicted in a non-graphic way. Nudity, on the other hand, is far easier to separate from it's context and see simply as titillation, especially for men.

That said, 99% of M rated games out there carry that rating because of violence, not nudity (although, the number that do contain nudity has been increasing of late). And as I said, I have much less of problem with exposure to depicted violence then I do to depicted nudity. Partially because depicted violence always fake, even if it is graphic, while depicted nudity, despite being on a screen, is actually real.

I like playing violent video games like Doom, Call of Duty, Quake, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc etc. However, it does leave me with an unsettling feeling, at times, that simulated violence appeals to me as much as it does. I think its fitting that the company that produces so many of the epic FPS's is called Id software, after the component in the Freudian model of psychology responsible for driving base impulses. Doom might appeal to me, because I have a desire to want to slay all evil in the world. However, this can be really destructive if you're always looking for an evil, external to you, to kill off. I suppose if you see all your classmates in HS as an evil that needs to be offed with shotguns and home made bombs like the Columbine murderers, then you should spend less time playing Doom and more time looking at yourself. If your urge to slay evil is rooted in an urge to slay it withing yourself, then I don't see it as unhealthy. I have mixed feelings about violent video games to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back