Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is repentance needed for salvation?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

reddogs

Some people claim that repentance has no place in salvation, that you can believe in Jesus as “Savior” but never repent of your sin. That you can be saved even if you continue in chained to sin and iniquity just as it was before you became a Christian, that no change is needed. So what does Christ say:

Matthew 4:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Matthew 9:13
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 5:32 King James Version (KJV)
32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus even repeated it for emphasis in describing to the people:
Luke 13:1-6 King James Version (KJV)
1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus told his disciples to proclaim “repentance and remission of sins” in his name to all the nations (Luke 24:47).
When the apostles preached in Acts, they called people to repent of their sins in order to be forgiven:

Acts 2:38 King James Version (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 5:30-31 King James Version (KJV)
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Scripture is clear, repentance is absolutely necessary in order to be saved. Only those truly repent and turn to Christ and His righteousness in their lives, and away from their sin, will be saved on the last day.

Some people claim that repentance has no place in salvation, that you can believe in Jesus as “Savior” but never repent of your sin. That you can be saved even if you continue in chained to sin and iniquity just as it was before you became a Christian, that no change is needed. So what does Christ say:

17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

Jesus told his disciples to proclaim “repentance and remission of sins” in his name to all the nations (Luke 24:47).
When the apostles preached in Acts, they called people to repent of their sins in order to be forgiven:

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Scripture is clear, repentance is absolutely necessary in order to be saved. Only those truly repent and turn to Christ and His righteousness in their lives, and away from their sin, will be saved on the last day.
Repentance from sin is absolutely necessary for salvation.

Repentance means to rethink your 🤔 thinking.

So if the "turn from" isn't from sin, God won't hear us...right ? (1 Peter 3:12)
1 John 1:5
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
To rethink your thinking is what it means to repent.
Romans 6:But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. [18] Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
2 Chronicles 7:14

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Bring forth therefore fruits
meet for repentance: and think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. Mat 3:8

John 4:24

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Hope those scriptures help

After hearing the word of God these men asked Peter what to do as their hearts were pricked (convicted) and as in all the other scriptures the first word spoken is "repent".

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Reactions: JLB
1 John 1:5
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Do you realize that verses 5, 7, and 9 are addressed to those who walk in the light, while verses 6, 8, and 10 are addressed to those who walk in darkness ?
If we can walk in God, who is the light, we can most certainly say we have no sin: as there is no sin in God-the light, there can be no sin in us either while we are in Him .
To rethink your thinking is what it means to repent.
Romans 6:But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. [18] Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
If one repents of sin, they are non-sinners from then on.
If they sin again, their repentance from sin as a lie to God.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

meet for repentance: and think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. Mat 3:8

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.​

Help for what ?

Do you realize that verses 5, 7, and 9 are addressed to those who walk in the light, while verses 6, 8, and 10 are addressed to those who walk in darkness ?
If we can walk in God, who is the light, we can most certainly say we have no sin: as there is no sin in God-the light, there can be no sin in us either while we are in Him .

If one repents of sin, they are non-sinners from then on.
If they sin again, their repentance from sin as a lie to God.

Help for what ?
So if the "turn from" isn't from sin, God won't hear us...right ? (1 Peter 3:12)

Paul said he was chief among sinners. With that said, we must have a heart for repentance as we are unable to walk this Earth sinless. Christ will show you as you walk with Him what you need to work on. As He uncovers more sin then that is when it becomes incumbent upon you to repent.
The definition of death: To quit sinning instantly.

Our "turn from" can be from a number of things, but if "sin" isn't among them, God won't hear us.
Paul wrote these words he heard from Jesus..."To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me." (Acts 26:18)
So our repentance is from a few different things, but all of them at once.

Paul said he was chief among sinners.
He actually said he was the chief of those saved.
With that said, we must have a heart for repentance as we are unable to walk this Earth sinless.
You have omitted the results of rebirth for God's seed in your POV.
God's seed cannot bring forth the devil's fruit.
The definition of death: To quit sinning instantly.
That is somewhat true !
As we are crucified with Christ at our water baptism (in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins) into Him and into His death and burial, (Rom 6:3-7), we are in fact killed with Him.
And as baptism is usually done immediately after one hears and accepts the words of this life, which include "repentance", our death occurs at our repentance from sin !

Our "turn from" can be from a number of things, but if "sin" isn't among them, God won't hear us.
Paul wrote these words he heard from Jesus..."To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me." (Acts 26:18)
So our repentance is from a few different things, but all of them at once.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

He actually said he was the chief of those saved.

You have omitted the results of rebirth for God's seed in your POV.
God's seed cannot bring forth the devil's fruit.

That is somewhat true !
As we are crucified with Christ at our water baptism (in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins) into Him and into His death and burial, (Rom 6:3-7), we are in fact killed with Him.
And as baptism is usually done immediately after one hears and accepts the words of this life, which include "repentance", our death occurs at our repentance from sin !
The point I'm making is no one knows all the sins they commit. The Word can quickly be degraded into only a new set of dead laws if there is no relationship with the Lord. If one claims to know all then they only expose the sin of egotistical pride within them. There is no way to know all sin residing in the darkest crevices of even our own hearts unless the Lord reveals it to us as we walk with Him. Isn't one claiming to be sinless arrogance? I would certainly keep someone at arms length who claims such. I forget the verse that speaks of those who claim to be sinless.

Help with what ?

The point I'm making is no one knows all the sins they commit.
Yes they do.
James writes..." But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." (Jaqmes 1:14-15)
How can temptation, lust, enticement, and conception happen without our knowledge ?
The Word can quickly be degraded into only a new set of dead laws if there is no relationship with the Lord.
True.
Doesn't it make you glad that those who have truly repented of sin receive the gift of the Holy Ghost ?
God's word never get's degraded by those who have a portion of God in them.
If one claims to know all then they only expose the sin of egotistical pride within them.
I couldn't agree more.
I don't think I have ever meat anyone claiming to "know it all".
There is no way to know all sin residing in the darkest crevices of even our own hearts unless the Lord reveals it to us as we walk with Him. Isn't one claiming to be sinless arrogance? I would certainly keep someone at arms length who claims such. I forget the verse that speaks of those who claim to be sinless.
If you don't know what is residing in you, it is because you just won't admit it.
I have an idea: turn from sin permanently, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost get reborn of God's seed, and start over with a new vessel in which evil desires have never lived !
Then you will know what and Who resides in you.

Yes they do.
James writes..." But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." (Jaqmes 1:14-15)
How can temptation, lust, enticement, and conception happen without our knowledge ?

True.
Doesn't it make you glad that those who have truly repented of sin receive the gift of the Holy Ghost ?

I couldn't agree more.

If you don't know what is residing in you, it is because you just won't admit it.
I have an idea: turn from sin permanently, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost get reborn of God's seed, and start over with a new vessel in which evil desires have never lived !
No one knows all that is in their subconscious. Ah, I looked it up 1 John 1:8.

Yes they do.

True.

I couldn't agree more.

No one knows all that is in their subconscious. Ah, I looked it up 1 John 1:8
Yes they do.

True.

I couldn't agree more.

So then. you claim to be sinless????

Back