Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Is the Biblical Concept of God Strictly Monotheistic or Does It Allow for a Triune Nature?

I have been trying in other forums to get anyone to answer straightly if the can work the Trinity doctrine into these passages in a truthful Biblical way:

Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD."
Isaiah 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
Isaiah 44:6 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."
Isaiah 45:5 "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me."
Isaiah 45:21-22 "Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else."
Deuteronomy 4:35 "Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him."
Deuteronomy 32:39 "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand."
1 Kings 8:60 "That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else."
2 Samuel 7:22 "Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears."
1 Chronicles 17:20 "O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears."
Hosea 13:4 "Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me."
Mark 12:29 "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord."
Mark 12:32 "And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he."
John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."
Romans 3:30 "Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith."
1 Corinthians 8:4 "As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one."
1 Corinthians 8:6 "But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."
Galatians 3:20 "Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one."
Ephesians 4:6 "One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."
1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."
James 2:19 "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."
God is not triune in nature but in persons
Monotheistic “one God” in three divine persons

As the athanasius creed states:

The father is God
The son is God
the Spirit is God

But there are not three God’s but only one God!

The father is Lord
The son is Lord
the Spirit is Lord

But there are not three Lord’s but one Lord!

Lk 1:43 how is it that the mother of my Lord should come to me.

By no stretch of the imagination can an unborn child in His mothers womb be Elizabeth’s Lord, unless He is the Lord God almighty!

The anti-trinitarians always end up with sabellian modalism which was condemned by the apostolic councils in the early church!

Thanks

he question of whether the biblical concept of God is strictly monotheistic or allows for a Triune nature is a significant theological debate that has persisted for centuries. On one hand, the Shema in Deuteronomy 6:4 clearly states, "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one," which seems to affirm a strict monotheism. On the other hand, passages such as Matthew 28:19, where Jesus commands the disciples to baptize "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," have been interpreted by Trinitarians to suggest a Triune nature of God. How do we reconcile these seemingly divergent viewpoints? Does the New Testament reveal a complexity in the nature of God that the Old Testament does not explicitly address, or is the doctrine of the Trinity an extra biblical development?
Father: Matthew 5:16.
Son: Matthew 3:17
Spirit: Matthew 3:11

Triune God. Not mono.

he question of whether the biblical concept of God is strictly monotheistic or allows for a Triune nature is a significant theological debate that has persisted for centuries. On one hand, the Shema in Deuteronomy 6:4 clearly states, "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one," which seems to affirm a strict monotheism. On the other hand, passages such as Matthew 28:19, where Jesus commands the disciples to baptize "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," have been interpreted by Trinitarians to suggest a Triune nature of God. How do we reconcile these seemingly divergent viewpoints? Does the New Testament reveal a complexity in the nature of God that the Old Testament does not explicitly address, or is the doctrine of the Trinity an extra biblical development?
It's a great question and has been asked lots of times. My own personal opinion: the plural word for "God" originates from a polytheistic culture. God uses the language of the world to convey the fact that He alone is the one true God.

The Bible does not appear to speak of a "3-headed God," as the detractors of Trinitarianism say. Rather, it indicates that God has appeared in theophanies which, by definition, is lower down from infinite Deity.

So can God appear in pluralities? Obviously, the Scriptures have shown Him as such, particularly as He has appeared in Jesus, a man.

It literally means three in one—“tri,” three; “unus,” one. In regards to God, it has always referred to God as Trinity.
Trinity of persons not Gods
One god monotheism three persons

Rocks OP implies that triune is three gods as opposed to monotheism

Jesus Christ is God rev 1:8

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

How can Both be God (oneness) if He sits at the right hand

Oneness modelism was never orthodox but condemned heresy in the early church by authority of Jesus Christ in apostolic council binding on all Christians

Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Oneness?

Back