Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is there any hope ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

dave91

Hello all. This is my first post. I haven't introduced myself, I don't know if I had before posting a anything else but I'll share my testimony anyway. It will be long, I apologize in advance.

I live in Quebec, in Canada. English is not my first language, so I hope that I won't make too many mistakes. I'm 31 years old, I grew up in a christian home so I've always been aware of the Gospel. But the drama is that in spite of the knowledge that I've always had, I've lived a sinful life nearly all my life, and I found out very recently (like 2 weeks ago) that I have actually never known God, even though I thought I had a relationship with him. I was totally deceived, and I was deceived all my life about many things actually. I neglected him all my life, I sinned very badly, and now I truly believe that it's just too late for waking up.

As a child, I "accepted Jesus in my life". So I thought I was christian because I would pray, I understood his sacrifice on the cross for me and I "accepted it".... At some point I tried to please him by not sinning too much and when I did, I would ask for forgiveness and try to not do it again ... But the problem is that I hadn't commited my life and my being totally to Christ, and I hadn't totally put my faith on what he did for me on the cross. Without I realised it, I wasn't basing my salvation on the cross, but on my works. So even though I prayed as a child and all, I wasn't actually christian. I would pray a God from my imagination.

As a teenager, sin began to influence me more and more, and I just quit praying and all the stuff I did as a child to please God... or rather, to please the God from my imagination. So I just quit praying, going to church, etc and got involved in sins (drug, partying, sexe, etc).

When I was 19 years old, I began to be conscious that I wasn't on the right track. So I restarted to interest myself to God... or rather the God from my fleshy imagination... I started to go on a christian website, I would read stuff... I was starting to feeling more and more sensitive, started to pray again. One day while I was driving in my car I had some christian music on in my radio. And the lyrics were about the love of God and they made me burst out crying. I realised all the wrongs that I commited against a Holy loving God and I asked him for forgiveness and told him I wanted to stop sinning and live for Him. I am pretty sure I actually had the godly sorrow because from that day I really think that my heart had changed. I started to enjoy praying, enjoy going to church, enjoy read His Word, enjoy worshipping, loved people, hated sins. I quitted my sins without difficulties because my heart had changed, and I started loving rightouness and having desires for the Kingdom of God. I remember when I prayed, I would always ask God to make me more and more like Jesus. I felt close to God.

But in spite of all that, I don't think I was genuinely saved. Maybe I was but today, thinking back of that time, I'm 95% sure I wasn't. At the time I really thought I had given my life to God and was walking with Him, but today I think I hadn't fully surrendered to Jesus and hadn't put my faith 100% on the work the cross. The reason that makes me think that is because I never really had a full insurance of my salvation. I remember that I would often doubt because of all the bad things I had done in the past. Plus, a few weeks after my "conversion", I found out about the blaspheme against the H.S and it terrorized me. From when I found out about this sin, I started to be very scared that I commited. And since I was now aware that there was an unpardonnable sin, I started to have intrusive thoughts that I really didn't want to have, and making me believe that I truly commited it. Had I fully understood that salvation depends only on faith in Jesus-Christ and not on what you have done or haven't done, I would have understood that I hadn't committed it. I understood in my mind that salvation was only about the death of Jesus on the cross, but I think I hadn't received it in my heart, for the reason I just explained. To be perfectly honest I think that without I realised it, I still had a certain pride left that made me base my salvation onto my works, onto the changes that occured in me. I can't believe I was deceived like that because I truly believed that I was Christian.

So in spite of my doubts and my fears, I would continue my so-called christian life normally. I was still able to function normally. But about 1 year after my "conversion", I little by little restarted to make the sins that I previously had got rid of. The reason ? The doubts that I had about my salvation didn't help at all with my relationship with God. But in addition to doubts, there were things in my life that weren't going to my liking. I was starting to become bitter and jealous for the things that some had that I didn't. Over the years, I would sin more and more, and repent less and less. One night, I had sexe with a girl I didn't know that I met at a bar. And instead of repenting, that made me feel like restarting. I started wanting to sleep with women. That's what led me to consciously forsake God and to stop repenting. I feel so bad and so condemned for what I just wrote and for the other things that I am about to write.

In my mind, I never meant to forsake God for a long term. I had those very bad fleshy selfish lust that I wanted to fulfill, and I thought that I could temporarily leave God, and come back later on. I thought that it would last only a few weeks or a few months and then after that I would come back fully to him. But I was such a fool. I went on like that for 5 or 6 years actually. It started with wanting to date women, but one bad desire led to other sins. I made myself a slave of sexe, I became perverted. I just can't believe how pathetic I was for leaving God for that. During those years, I was perfectly aware that I was very wrong, but I kept getting stubborn and telling myself that I eventually would repent. There were actually a few times where I had asked God for forgiveness and tried to come back at Him and quit my sinful life. But in my heart I would not be sincere enough so I would go back to my sinful lifestyle.

My conscience told me many times that I was playing a dangerous game. I didn't listen it, thinking that I would never got to a point where I wouldn't be able to repent. Again, what I was such a fool. I took God for granted, I thought that at the moment I turn to Him, he would forgive me. But I had no peace at all.

This backsliding period went on for more than 5 years, until the day I became totally distress. All my joy left me, I became depressed, sad. Life became so pointless. Everything I was doing seemed to be pointless. I realised the mistake I made of turning away from God so I tried to come back to Him and since that day I've quitted all my sins and all my fleshy desires.

It's been now 5 months that I have been seeking Him but I can't see Him. Many times I have asked Him for forgiveness, cried out for help, asked Him to take my life and to do whatever he wants with it. The problem is that all those requests I've been asking Him come only from my mind, but not from my heart so I am not restored and not forgiven. I've quitted all my sins and all my lusts, but they haven't been replaced by anything good so I am just totally empty inside. All those years living in sins caused my heart to harden and to become very selfish, evil, proud... My mind fully understand the ugliness of my sins and want to flee them, but my heart still love them despite all the damage that they cause. My mind wants Jesus and God so bad, but my heart resists and would like to do whatever it wants. So there is this division in my being going on, and it makes me suffer. I need God so much, but I am pretty sure that he left me with myself and with my corrupted sinful nature and with my rotten flesh. I simply can't serve God, can't do anything good work and can't have any good thoughts. That's what I get for thinking that I could neglect God, for thinking that I was better than most people.

Anyway... I am just pathetic. I could continue but I'll stop here. I wish I was able to cling on Jesus and on what he did for me on the cross but I can't. I'm stuck with myself and its sinful nature. Is there anything can do to suffer less ?

It's amazing how the Holy Spirit speaks through others, but we don't recognize it, sometimes for years.
It's also amazing how quickly obeying Jesus opens our own minds to his Spirit.
It will be exciting for you to ask our living God to help you as you walk with Jesus and see how your understanding of God changes. 😊
Do you know the joke about the man stranded on the roof of his house due to a big flood?
He prays and prays to God to come to save him.

A boat comes by and offers help, but the stranded man tells them he's waiting for God to help.
After a while a motor boat stops at his roof and tells him to get in...
the man says No, I'm waiting for God to help me.

Finally, a helicopter shows up and throws him down a rope.
He screams up that he's waiting for God to help him and the chopper takes off without him.

Finally the flood waters get higher and the man drowns and dies.
When he gets to heaven he asks God: Why didn't You save me?

God replies: I sent you 2 boats and a helicopter, what more do you want?

We just have to get on the boat.
We just have to get on the chopper.
God is waiting for us to get on.

This is for dave91

What about Hebrews 6 4-6 or Hebrews 10 26-29 ? Sorry, I should have mentionned this in my OP. I match perfectly with those talked about in those verses. You really believe that I still can be saved after all what I've done in my life, in addition of always being aware of the Gospel ? I feel like I went too far and I am terrified. Can you tell me which parables you are talking about ?
What you match with is all those who do not realize it is Satan trying to hold you back by planting doubt in your mind. If your heart was hardened then you would not be here looking for help in your time of need. You are fixated that God no longer will have anything to do with you so instead on running to His thrown of grace you are unknowingly making excuses by using a carnal mind.

You need to run to God's throne of grace humbling yourself accepting and totally submitting yourself to Jesus as your Lord and Savior, start praying, reading your Bible praying and asking the Holy Spirit to teach you, finding a good church or a Bible study group where you can start learning what God has for you to learn. Surround yourself with other Christians and kick Satan in the butt. The ball is in your court. You might have only gone through the act of being a Christian, but I really do not think that you have ever been Spiritually born again and indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

Do you know the joke about the man stranded on the roof of his house due to a big flood?
He prays and prays to God to come to save him.

A boat comes by and offers help, but the stranded man tells them he's waiting for God to help.
After a while a motor boat stops at his roof and tells him to get in...
the man says No, I'm waiting for God to help me.

Finally, a helicopter shows up and throws him down a rope.
He screams up that he's waiting for God to help him and the chopper takes off without him.

Finally the flood waters get higher and the man drowns and dies.
When he gets to heaven he asks God: Why didn't You save me?

God replies: I sent you 2 boats and a helicopter, what more do you want?

We just have to get on the boat.
We just have to get on the chopper.
God is waiting for us to get on.
Yes I've heard that joke.....It's all a coincidence.
It's nice when someone came to a Christian website for answers and grabbed ahold. 😊

. As a result, when we begin to suffer the damage, and emptiness, and dissatisfaction of a life of sin and think to return again to God, we discover that our sinful indulgence has created habits of thought and action that fight fiercely against God's constraining control.
Yes exactly ! That's right what I'm going through that makes me wonder whether I truly repented with my heart or not. Because I really want to live for God, but at the same time I feel there's still this part of me that want to just do and act whatever it wants. As a result to that, I'm still fighting with my vain, selfish and prideful thoughts/desires. Is this even normal ? Because it makes me feel like I haven't been restaured. When I was closer to God, 12 years ago, I remember my heart was very longing to please God, to make his will, to be like Jesus more and more. In short, I loved God, or at least I think I did... I haven't got this fire back yet. I really wish I had, but I haven't. I want to live for Him because he's the only way, and without Him I am totally depraved, dead in my sins and my dead works. So yes, I want to live for Him and surrender all my sinful life forever and do whatever he wants me to do. But I feel that my heart doesn't follow my mind, because I don't really feel the love that I used to have for God, and I don't feel this urge to serve Him. It's like I really want with my mind because I know it's the thing to do and God deserves or obedience and or love, but in my heart I don't see any renewal in my desires... I just abstain from sinning.

By the way thank you all for your answers, very helpful.

Yes exactly ! That's right what I'm going through that makes me wonder whether I truly repented with my heart or not. Because I really want to live for God, but at the same time I feel there's still this part of me that want to just do and act whatever it wants. As a result to that, I'm still fighting with my vain, selfish and prideful thoughts/desires. Is this even normal ?

Yes, it is "normal." In fact, it's very much what God says happens when we stray from Him. And it's part of why God hates it when we do. We always reap more than we sow, later than we sow. The "harvest" of sin is always a dampened desire for God and an inflamed hunger for more sin. But, God has promised that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). Not physical death, necessarily, and not spiritual death, either (though both of these kinds of death come to the determined sinner eventually). It shouldn't surprise us, then, when our sin "kills" our conscience, and the voice of the Spirit, and our love for God. Fortunately, these things can all be restored to one's life through repentance from the lies we tell ourselves that bring us to sin (James 4:6-10), confession of our sin (1 John 1:9), and constant submission to God (Romans 6:13; Romans 12:1, 1 Peter 5:6).

Because it makes me feel like I haven't been restaured. When I was closer to God, 12 years ago, I remember my heart was very longing to please God, to make his will, to be like Jesus more and more. In short, I loved God, or at least I think I did... I haven't got this fire back yet.

One of the main things God wants from us is a singular focus upon Himself. He wants our eyes fixed on Him, not on our feelings, not on "special experiences," not on our capacities, but on Him, on Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2-3). But, we are so easily distracted by when we felt this-and-that, or had this amazing experience of xyz, or by our lack of power, or will, or passion. God says to us when we get distracted by these things,

2 Corinthians 3:18
18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Get your eyes off of you, off of your feelings and experiences, off of your strengths and weaknesses, and just behold the glory of the Lord, submitting yourself to His will and way, living in honor of Him in every area of your life. As you do, the Holy Spirit will be working to make you like Him upon whom you've fixed your gaze. It isn't, then, a "fire" God is wanting in you but a particular focus - on Himself.

Do you remember what happened to Peter when, as he stepped out onto the sea of Galilee to walk to Jesus, he took his eyes off of Jesus? Immediately, he sank into the sea (Matthew 14:22-33). A similar thing happens to us when we do as Peter did and become distracted by things that are not Jesus. In particular, we tend to get absorbed with ourselves, with our physical desires, with what we feel, with why did something, with our hurts and hardships, and on and on. You have done this by focusing on what you felt in the past and comparing it to what you feel at the moment. But this just turns your eyes from God to yourself. Beware! Looking in this direction, you will sink.

So yes, I want to live for Him and surrender all my sinful life forever and do whatever he wants me to do. But I feel that my heart doesn't follow my mind, because I don't really feel the love that I used to have for God, and I don't feel this urge to serve Him.

Our hearts, our love, follows our investment of our "treasure" - our time, energy and money. Jesus put it this way:

Matthew 6:21
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

One of the ways you can nurture a love for God is to invest in your relationship with Him: Study His word, talk often with Him, obey Him, serve Him. As you do so, the Holy Spirit works to progressively fill you with the love that he is (Galatians 5:22; Romans 5:5) until, one day, you are overflowing with a deep, abiding, consuming desire (love) for God. Too often, Christians want this desire before they walk with God, though. Godly love doesn't work this way.

It's like I really want with my mind because I know it's the thing to do and God deserves or obedience and or love, but in my heart I don't see any renewal in my desires... I just abstain from sinning.

In God's economy of things, our mind leads the charge, so to speak, in our walk with Him.

Philippians 2:5
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Romans 12:2
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Matthew 22:37
37 Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord thy God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

Romans 8:5-6
5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,

1 Corinthians 2:16
16 ...But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 14:19
19 however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.

Ephesians 4:20-23
20 But you did not learn Christ in this way,
21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus,
22 that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit,
23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind,

Colossians 3:2
2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

And so on.

In regards to feelings the following is worth remembering:

"Feelings come, and feelings go,
And feelings are deceiving.
My warrant is the word of God,
Nought else is worth believing."

An increased desire (love) for God develops over time - especially after it has been cooled by a long season of sin. As you remain in a place of submission to God, though, your eyes fixed on Christ, the Spirit will gradually, subtly, but profoundly, deepen and expand your desire (love) for God.

Back