Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Just Got Married! What Indoor/Outdoor Activities To Do?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have been really stressing over this lately. I live near Atlanta and surprisingly I am stuck with what to do as a married couple. Of course we do things. We are going to IMAX theater to watch a movie; just went to a park and visited sub shops around it; went to a new years eve party for a little while at a neighbors house.

But we still felt kind of empty. We run and bike occasionally on a trail near the house; but I find myself looking at other couples that are all decked out on the trail in top of the line gear and bikes and going fast like they are dedicated to the sport and each other.

I am looking for something that my wife and I would love to do together on a beautiful day. I was also very frustrated the other day because it was an extremely beautiful day and we had absolutely no plans.

I know Atlanta is huge; it might be to huge that I do not know where to start. I wish there was a list of awesome activities to do so we can start trying one at a time. I tried searching sites but I have yet to find anything that lists just about everything.

Well anyways I hope everyone here can pitch in some activities, books, and also maybe throw in some great sites to visit to get some great ideas!

Best,
ChristianMaker

What matters is what you do together. For most married couples life becomes more of the general what we have to do, moreso when kids enter the picture, it becomes more just finding time to be alone with your spouse..

Being married, they're are some great activities you should've figured out by now, indoor and outdoor if you're discreet...:lol

You will also learn a happy marriage both need their own lives and will have their own interest outside that of the partner. Sometimes it's hard finding same things you both enjoy doing.

Learn to enjoy simple life with each other as much as activities...

That being said the last time my wife and I went to Atlanta we never tired of finding things to do there or around there. Where we live out in the country we often sit on porches, watch fireflies in the summer, walks, etc....dang near hour to the nearest shopping center.

"I am looking for something that my wife and I would love to do together on a beautiful day."

Why not try asking your wife what she'd like to do????

Sometimes it's the simple pleasures of life that two can enjoy as one. Picnics and walks in the park just holding hands and stealing a kiss makes for an enjoyable time. Exploring new places in your own city that you have never been to before like cultural places of interest, different restaurants, movies, plays. Go bowling, play mini golf. Amusement parks are fun. The list goes on and on. You might not like what the other one likes, but sometimes you have to just pony up and enjoy the fact that your mate does enjoy something different. Like the old saying "try it you might like it'. I'm sure Atlanta has many things to offer that would intrig both your interest.

Well anyways I hope everyone here can pitch in some activities, books, and also maybe throw in some great sites to visit to get some great ideas!
Best,
ChristianMaker

Hi

Thanks for the honest sharing. Let me share my experience.

My wife and I, even though married > 18 years, encourage each other to pursue individual interest (i.e. activities that one party is not involved). She loves reading, shopping, swimming (lap swim alone), read stuff on the internet. I also encourage her to meet her friends for lunch, dinner etc.

And I, as a task-oriented person, always do not have lack of things to do on my own!

And of course, we make time for each other. We play tennis regularly for many years (of course, now we have three daughters joining us), watch movies together, take a walk together or simply have meal together.

Because we each have our own life as well as married life, when we come together, we have lots of things to share and talk about. There are times when we are separated for a whole day (from morning till night) and we really long for each other (after the kids are in bed/chores are done).

Hope this helps.

As one of the other members posted, picnics can be quite romantic if you find a secluded area, and get away from distractions and most of all electronics. Try to turn your phones off during your time together, but don't leave them at home all together. You may end up needing them for an emergency.

One thing that I like to do is go to public gardens. Here in Portland, Oregon there is a Japanese garden that is very beautiful during the spring. We have a rose garden that you can go see, and even areas to have picnics if you want to be in a more public place.

I know most states have aquariums, so try to find out if you have a local aquarium. I like going to aquariums after kids have their out of school breaks, because it insures that there won't be a lot of people there when you decide to go.

Also, if you want to try to have a common hobby together, start looking at something that you both can do together and try to find classes in your area that you can learn these hobbies together.

Another thing that a lot of couples like to do is find a bed and breakfast and maybe have a weekend getaway to spend quality time together. When you go to bed and breakfasts, usually there are other activities in the area that you can do as well.

Maybe you and your wife can take up dancing lessons, like ballroom dancing, or whatever kind of dancing you and your wife would be interested in.

There are a lot of activities you could take up like learning archery, martial arts, survival classes since you like to hike, you might want to take a survival class and learn how to survive in the wilderness if you ever get lost. You could also take up classes to learn about plants and wild animals in the wilderness, so you know what plants to stay away from, and the animals indigenous to the different areas of your state.

I don't really have any more ideas. It just depends on what you and your wife want to do together. That is the key word. You might want to do something that she isn't interested in. So, discuss things that you could do together and explore whether, or not you two would be willing to take up hobbies that you can do together.

God bless, and I hope you find some ideas of things to do!

Ok everyone now I have the exact opposite problem! LOL!

By jotting down everything that I want to do I have come to the conclusion I can’t do everything. I guess I am going to have to decide what I can do and what I can’t do.

Here is just a list of some of the things I would or need to do.

Community College [Doing Now]
Church
Church Community Groups
Spend time with Wife
Family
Xbox + Electronics
Reading Kindle
Working Out
Bible College [One Class A Semester]
Start my own business
Biking
Hang out
Work Part Time Job
Bible Study
Movies

And a ton more at the moment I can’t think of

So how in the world can I do all of these things in my lifetime? From spending time with my wife to getting a degree to doing all the things people have suggested and what’s on my list? I think I need a serious lesson on time management.

Well in any case all of your replies have been amazing and I am jotting them down because they are a great ideas. I will be definitely trying a lot of them! Please keep the comments coming because I always like new ideas and I certainly need help with my time management.

Best,
ChristianMaker

Congrats!!!!

Everyone is talking out of experience:lol

Do you really need outdoor activities? Somewhere in the Old Testament tells you to remain indoors with your wife for a year:toofunny

martial arts is a good one. I myself am a BJJ(Brazillian Jiu Jitsu) blackbelt and instructor/ retired fighter and my better half is working to get her black belt now too, all be it under a different teacher. we've made a game out of it have a "match" where the looser cooks dinner. I lose almost every time, I love that woman but she can not cook to save her life. Atlanta also has a wonderfull restraunt scene try exploring that try new food sharing the experience. Check out Gladys and Ron its in downtown Atlanta they have the most amazing soulfood and chicken and waffles. also Gladys Knight herself(one of the owners) shows up from time to time ya might get lucky and meet her.

hmm interesting. a bjj black belt. if i had the time to train a bit harder in bjj.

you are good in gi or no-gi?

hmm interesting. a bjj black belt. if i had the time to train a bit harder in bjj.

you are good in gi or no-gi?

i compete in both in the naga(North American GrapplingAsscoication) when the knees allow me. but it has been less and less lately. I received my black belt at Gracie Barra Orlando.

hmm if you have heard of the forge then you know where i train and the owner as he fights in ameteur mma and naga.

My wife and I would kidnap each other.
We have the bags packed and are ready to leave when they get off. Drive up, tell her your going on a short trip for the weekend. I've got your bags packed. Are you ready to go?
Of course she's going to ask where. Don't let her know where your going. No blindfolding necessary. The key is to have everything ready for the trip. Reservations, food, all the necessities for the trip.

We enjoy it a lot. Been married 25 yrs!

If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For[SIZE="+2"] one year[/SIZE] he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married. ( Deuteronomy 24:5 ):chin:toofunny

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back