Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Looking for advice on getting 7 years old potty trained

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Katlyn

Hello everyone I came here hoping people would be able to offer me some advice on getting my daughter potty trained she currently has to wear diapers 24/7 for both needs. I have tried potty training her when she was younger but we made no progress at all later on I decided to take her to a few doctors and therapists but they all told that both mentally and physically she was fine.
I just don't know what to do anymore and feel like I've run out of things to try any advice I could get would be amazing thanks

Hello everyone I came here hoping people would be able to offer me some advice on getting my daughter potty trained she currently has to wear diapers 24/7 for both needs. I have tried potty training her when she was younger but we made no progress at all later on I decided to take her to a few doctors and therapists but they all told that both mentally and physically she was fine.
I just don't know what to do anymore and feel like I've run out of things to try any advice I could get would be amazing thanks
praying

searched for answers and found this info:

this one comes from parents who had 2 children with this problem:

Is the child a boy? I had a hard time training my son. I would stand him in front of the toilet and he would just do nothing. One day, I asked my husband to just show him what to do and that did the trick. Some children are confused. They are told to hold it in the store and then let it go in the bathroom. Other children are willful and are just having a power struggle with their parent. Other children are just afraid. One thing I heard once. "Be concerned, but don't panic. I do not know any college students who aren't trained."

I am glad that you have been able to confirm that she is mentally and physically capable as that seems to be the first place to check in such a situation.

I am not sure what you have all tried as I am sure you've tried a lot of things! Here are a few ideas I have from potty training kids:

Method 1:

-Take them to the store and have them pick out underwear. Sometimes pick out two different ones if you can because finding their sizes at first can be tricky, it kind of stinks to drive all the way home and then them be the wrong size.

-After the undies have been washed and ready to wear, let her pick out what one she likes. Tell her for example, "No pee pee or poo poo on Minnie Mouse/Elsa/whatever it may be." and to come to the potty when they need to go. If your child isn't a talker and/or does better with non-verbal language (or they like something different/fun) then you can teach them the ASL sign for "toilet," which can be found below:

-Set a timer you both can hear because chances of them telling you are often slim (lol). Put them on the potty every 20 minutes. It's a pain and it is time consuming, but if you both can stick with it then it will keep getting easier. They will start realizing when they have to go.

-Accidents will happen, mistakes will happen and that's okay - it's all part of learning! I keep a large bottle of vinegar handy so I can mix it with water for clean ups. Also, a stack of old towels!

-For nighttime, you can put a couple towels under them or buy the large bed mats so if they go they hopefully won't get the sheets wet. Some people use a pull up at night for their own sanity, and there are some that say this is okay and others that say this only confuses the child - it's up to you and what works for you both.

Method 2:

-(Similar concept as above) Get pull ups or keep diapers in their size, but still take them to the potty every 20 minutes so they start understanding when they have to go.

-If this works for you both then go for it!

Some notes:

-Reward them when they go on the potty! Personally I stay away from lollipops as I don't like to use sugar as a reward, but some mom's use them and feel it's a strong motivator. I like to use stickers and somehow my kids always enjoyed stickers more than candy. We'd go to the dollar store and get a few sheets of stickers. Positive praise is good, too, "Good job!" "Yay! You used the potty!"

-With stickers, you can print off or draw your own potty chart and after so many stickers, get a bigger toy (a whole roll of stickers, a doll, bottle of bubbles, whatever works). This may take more than one potty chart before she is fully using the potty.

-If you can, mention you will let them go to the store or go online with you and pick out a toy that they really want when they are only using underwear and making it to the potty. I would think that a 7 year-old would be extremely motivated for this.

-This is a time dedicated process. It may be difficult for parents that work to potty train their children. I've known some people who have had their children in diapers for a while mostly because they worked so much that they didn't have the time to potty train. A trusted family member or friend may be able to help you if you need. If you work and have a few days off, that's a good time to start it.

-A little bit of potty training can be better than none. You can build up from there. Sometimes I notice when my littles are wearing diapers but aren't fully potty trained that when we go out somewhere they ask to use the potty (but not so much at home). You will probably be at home for a while (some people say after 3 days of persistence that kids catch on a lot better) for them to get the hang of it.

-If you have multiple kids, let whoever uses the potty ring a loud bell they hold in their hands and walk around with for a few minutes. An older sibling could help with this, they use the bathroom and ring the bell for you and then your 7 year-old will wonder what it's all about so they get to ring the bell.

**You guys got this! It takes time and patience, but it can be done!**

I hope I have helped.

My mother used to try to convince me that I had a happy childhood but I wet the bed till I was 12. My father was an alcoholic. I told my motherl that I was anxious as a child and she said, "You didn't show it." So just a heads up on the anxiety thing. No innuendo intended. I love the suggestions in the previous post. They are brilliant. I just let my daughter run around the room naked and when she started go I just plopped her on the toilet. Worked quickly. Good luck. You're a good mother and so it'll happen

Reactions: JLB

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

What does she say about using a potty or the toilet?
How does she react when she has an accident?

Is she aware of the signs that she needs to go or is she so caught up with what is going on that she pays them no attention?

If she is aware and wants to be like other girls and not wear special underwear you can find a way to encourage and help her to learn.
If she does not want to change you cannot make her change.

Hello thanks for the help everyone so far but I have already tried getting her stickers and rewards already but that didn't really do much to help out, I have also tried taking her to the toilet thought the day but when ever I took her she just seemed to never actually use it like she would always have an accident a little after I took her off from it. I also actually haven't tried putting her in underwear yet since it does make me a little nervous to try doing that.

As for how she reareacts when she has an accident she doesn't really seem to care to much about them unless other people who don't know she wears diapers notice than she gets pretty anxious or upset about them and than would want to get changed right away. And I feel like she might be able to tell when she has to go but doesn't really seem to I guess act on that need

Are the rewards something that is relevant to your child? I know stickers worked for mine, but they might not work for another child. Get something they like a lot and use it. Surely there is something that she has a strong interest in?

Accidents are part of the process, be persistent in taking her. My own have even done the same thing of not going on the potty and then afterwards they have an accident. It is part of the learning process =)

Oh, I know! Underwear is always nerve racking, my oldest ran out of diaper sizes and the last ones we could find that actually fit her were causing her rashes so we had to jump to underwear. There wasn't much of an option. It can be messy, but that's part of it. She was on board as long as she could pick out the underwear. I dread the underwear, too, but it helps when they realize how uncomfortable it is when they have an accident.

Considering her age, you have it in your advantage to talk to her about this change. Maybe something like: "We're going to learn to use the potty like mommy." You could ask her what she doesn't like about the potty (might be something there you can remedy like loud noise with flushing, feels too high up, seat is uncomfortable, etc).

Some kids develop a strong diaper dependence and it can be difficult to break. There are some children's cartoons that emphasize potty time. There is a Daniel Tiger one that has a song that they sing, "If you need to go potty, stop, and go right away. Flush and wash and be on your way." My kids responded well to that episode. I know it is on Prime mostly, but that episode could be floating around somewhere. Potty training books might be a fun tool if you child likes books.

A few parents feel like a potty training doll set helps. You put the doll on their own potty when they go to the bathroom. Some feel that this helps them transition to using the toilet.

Some parents put food coloring of the child's choice in the toilet bowl to make it look "fun." I haven't tried this, but perhaps some kids are motivated by it.

There is a toy called "Poop N Pull", it is a box with a string that that they pull after a successful potty venture and a prize comes out. It was made by two frustrated parents. Some say this works well.

Potty training isn't a one size fits all type thing. It takes time and a whole lot of patience.

unless other people who don't know she wears diapers notice than she gets pretty anxious or upset about them and than would want to get changed right away.

Have you talked to her about this?
She will be going to school and at her age most teachers do not want to be changing children.

You have to ask her is she aware of needing to go?
Is she aware of when she goes?
Even can she stop a wee and restart?

I would be asking her why does she get upset when other people realise she has been to the toilet and needs to be changed?

Does she have friends her age from nursery or from the church Sunday school?
Just how aware is she of what they do about going to the toilet?

I have always found the times I have been taking one of my children to or from an event a great time to talk and raise awkward issues, there is just the two of us, they know the journey is short yet somehow were far more relaxed and ready to talk.

My wife had good success with our three sons following the book "Toilet Training In Less Than a Day" It requires preparation and quite intensive work for a day, so you have to plan to pretty much devote a full day of your time. I noticed it scores a 4.6 on Amazon.

I know this is an old post, but my daughter is three and currently trying to potty train her. These are some good tips. 20 minutes is probably what I need to try. She never sits on long... She goes better at school (I work there, so I know), so I think it has to do with consistency. Her class is potty trained. I think my hubby and I need to tag team better to get her trained at home.

Back