Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

LUCIFER

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
As I have said previously, Satan is the name of specific, personal being in the NT (and at least some of the OT), not a general word meaning “adversary” that can be applied to anything or anyone else that is adversarial. The inspired writers of the NT didn’t do it and we shouldn’t either.
The inspired Holy Spirit wrote the book. He calls certain people "adversary/Satan" in Scripture.
Me brother, Peter, was one of them.
You work it out.

Your freedom is relative. Just like you believe truth is relative.
Before God man has no free will in spiritual matters. TIME was created by God within the limits of eternalness of God Himself. Man is natural and has no authority over the spiritual realm. Man is dead before God until God quickens the person. And even after that have no authority over spiritual matters. Remember:

Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Mt 6:10.

God is Sovereign.
Not man.
All dealings with God are spiritual sir. Saying relative is simply another way of saying what I said of being within boundaries. Your free will is not without checks and balances Jeremiah, and can have consequences if you extend it outside those boundaries.

All dealings with God are spiritual sir. Saying relative is simply another way of saying what I said of being within boundaries. Your free will is not without checks and balances Jeremiah, and can have consequences if you extend it outside those boundaries.
Of course it has consequences.
If you jump off the cliff willing yourself to fly guess what will happen?
But man has no choice in salvation. It is all a gift and provided by God, not man.
It's monergistic, not synergistic.
If God loves someone He will save that someone.
If God doesn't love someone He will not save that someone.
We cannot know who's name is in the book of life predestined to salvation.
But we can tell who's saved afterwards.

Nothing's changed.
Jesus called Peter the person "Satan."
Jesus was speaking directly to Satan who was exploiting Peter's natural proclivities.
You sound like one of those people who say that because Jesus said to drink His blood , He was speaking literally of His blood.
We know that Jesus was speaking to the personality Satan directly because Jesus also said to Peter in reference to Satan's targeting of him:

Luk 22:31
"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:"
Luk 22:32
But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not:

This shows the feeble brained claim that "Peter was the person Satan" to be spiritual ignorance on a limitless level.
For such a claim to be true it would then be inherent according to Jesus's words that:

1: Satan was spiritually attacking himself
2: Satan "desired to have" himself.
3: Satan " desired to have" himself because he wanted to "sift himself as wheat"
4: Jesus prayed for Satan that Satan's faith would not fail

Last edited:
Dau
Jesus was speaking directly to Satan who was exploiting Peter's natural proclivities.
You sound like one of those people who say that because Jesus said to drink His blood , He was speaking literally of His blood.
We know that Jesus was speaking to the personality Satan directly because Jesus also said to Peter in reference to Satan's targeting of him:

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:"

This shows the feeble brained claim that "Peter was the person Satan" to be spiritual ignorance on a limitless level.
For such a claim to be true it would then be inherent according to Jesus's words that:

3: Satan " desired to have" himself because he wanted to "sift himself as wheat"
4: Jesus prayed for Satan that Satan's fa

ith would not fail
Just for an exercise in drawing conclusions:
Jesus knocks at the door of our being.
Revelation 3:20
Jesus lives off our sacrifice of praise.
Our blood is his blood (I can’t write a 500 word description).
Romans 12:1

Once our sacrifice is made we are using his body and blood in Gods service.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

4: Jesus prayed for Satan that Satan's faith would not fail
You don't get it.
Any opposition to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit means "Satan" just as the word is defined: Adversary.
You put too much stock on satan being an entity. It is a characteristic.

Look:
The Father is set against the world:
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 1 Jn 2:15–16.

The Son is set against the devil (meaning lies and untruth as the word is defined. It's an adjective here):
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1 Jn 3:8.

The Spirit is set against the flesh:
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. Gal. 5:17.

One more nugget of truth that takes time to develop and experience is this:

When you are being attacked naturally or spiritually learn the source so that you may take it in prayer to the right Person. It's like the gifts of the Spirit in a Church that exercises the gifts of the Spirit. Everyone knows everyone else's spiritual gift in a Biblical church. If you need counsel as to marriage, take it to the pastor who is married to the church. You wouldn't take it to the evangelist (unless of course you are led by the Spirit to a particular person for counsel.)
But a Christian need to know the truth of the Doctrines of Christ. Knowledge is key. Too bad Christians shun knowledge in order to lean on their own understanding to say and doing things in the vanity of their minds.

The inspired Holy Spirit wrote the book. He calls certain people "adversary/Satan" in Scripture.
Me brother, Peter, was one of them.
You work it out.
No, he didn't call Peter "Satan." Jesus was actually referring to the being who is Satan (who also tempted Jesus in the wilderness) and was using Peter. There is a difference. Nowhere in the NT is "Satan" used of a person or the flesh. It always refers to a specific, personal being who is in opposition to God, namely, the devil.

You don't get it.
Any opposition to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit means "Satan" just as the word is defined: Adversary.
"Satan" isn't even always used of Satan:

1Pe 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary [antidikos] the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (ESV)

antidikos; from G473 and G1349; an opponent, adversary: — adversary (1), opponent (3), opponent at law (1).

No, he didn't call Peter "Satan." Jesus was actually referring to the being who is Satan (who also tempted Jesus in the wilderness) and was using Peter. There is a difference. Nowhere in the NT is "Satan" used of a person or the flesh. It always refers to a specific, personal being who is in opposition to God, namely, the devil.

"Satan" isn't even always used of Satan:

1Pe 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary [antidikos] the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (ESV)

antidikos; from G473 and G1349; an opponent, adversary: — adversary (1), opponent (3), opponent at law (1).
Who's to say Satan wasn't Jesus' human side?
Jesus even went so far as to put Himself on the pinnacle.
4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
Mt 4.

Little "d." It's not inconceivable that the humanity of Jesus Christ had to be subdued.

How can adjectives be entities?

You don't get it.
You put too much stock on satan being an entity. It is a characteristic.
The King's English is what you are not getting.
Reconcile the English language identifying a "characteristic" as a "he" ?

".... that he may sift you as wheat:"

Then reconcile the English language referring to a single entity characteristic as both "he" and "you", in the same sentence ?
You can't do it .
That is why you will not even attempt to.

You must have been home sick the day they taught the applicable usage these terms in grade school ?

Then reconcile a "characteristic" desiring to have itself, and then sift itself as your proclaimed single entity Satan & Paul being one and the same then demands ?

",,, behold, Satan hath desired to have Satan, that Satan may sift himself as wheat.

Last edited:
The King's English is what you are not getting.
Reconcile the English language identifying a "characteristic" as a "he" ?

Then reconcile the English language referring to a single entity characteristic as both "he" and "you", in the same sentence ?
You can't do it .
That is why you will not even attempt to.

You must have been home sick the day they taught the applicable usage these terms in grade school ?

Then reconcile a "characteristic" desiring to have itself, and then sift itself as your proclaimed single entity Satan & Paul being one and the same then demands ?

",,, behold, Satan hath desired to have Satan, that Satan may sift himself as wheat.
The flesh will not follow us into glory, not in its present condition.
I understand what you're saying. I'm saying that anything or anyone in opposition to God is an adversary [satan] - capitalized or otherwise. Our flesh is contrary to the Spirit. This qualifies it as satan/adversary. The world is contrary to the Father. This qualifies it as satan/adversary. The devil is contrary to the Son. This also qualifies it as satan/adversary. For a male the flesh would be called a he. For a female the flesh would be called a she.
You seem to think that satan is a person, a being. And that this being can do whatever it wants. It can do nothing unless given permission by God whether flesh or otherwise. There's no way a spirit-being, especially fallen angels who sinned against God before man came on the scene, and who are kept in everlasting chains of darkness can exit their captivity, sprout penises, have complimentary sperm, and marry human women which is a holy institution. Why are there no passages that fallen angels who hate God and man raping human women? Because sex between angels and humans are impossible.
God ordained that dog's mate with dogs, cats with cats, after their kind. Angels and human women are NOT after their kind.

Of course it has consequences.
If you jump off the cliff willing yourself to fly guess what will happen?
But man has no choice in salvation. It is all a gift and provided by God, not man.
It's monergistic, not synergistic.
If God loves someone He will save that someone.
If God doesn't love someone He will not save that someone.
We cannot know who's name is in the book of life predestined to salvation.
But we can tell who's saved afterwards.
The reason I said may have is that sometimes we get away with it. You mentioned jumping off a cliff, did you hear of the recent man who drove off a cliff to kill his family and himself, they all lived.

The most committed sin is immorality, but it doesn't always end up with pregnancy, or a disease. But one thing is for certain, if we choose to sin, we should not cry to God if we do have consequences from it.

You seem to think that satan is a person, a being. And that this being can do whatever it wants.
I knew you would not try to rationalize you assertions with the Kings English .
It is not me who identifies Satan as a person, but Jesus Christ whom you dismiss as being a liar.

Luk 10:18
" I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."
Tell me Mr. Characteristic , what does a Characteristic look like when it is falling ?

What characteristic is it that has you calling Jesus Christ a liar?

I knew you would not try to rationalize you assertions with the Kings English .
It is not me who identifies Satan as a person, but Jesus Christ whom you dismiss as being a liar.

Luk 10:18
" I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."
Tell me Mr. Characteristic , what does a Characteristic look like when it is falling ?

What characteristic is it that has you calling Jesus Christ a liar?
Who really fell?
Lucifer?
Another angel?
How can Satan be a proper name and an adjective as Scripture uses both?
Same with "Devil."
Because both are deemed necessary to describe both.
Anyone or anything that opposes God is satan/adversary.
Whether it's Peter or Lucifer or any other angel.

Who really fell?
Lucifer?
Another angel?
How can Satan be a proper name and an adjective as Scripture uses both?
Same with "Devil."
Because both are deemed necessary to describe both.
Anyone or anything that opposes God is satan/adversary.
Whether it's Peter or Lucifer or any other angel.
You of all people are now going to lecture about the proper application of the King's English ?
Why don't you first have the nerve to answer the language application questions I just got done asking you that you have so far failed to even acknowledge ?

4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
Mt 4.
Scripture says so. Again, everything in the NT is against such an idea.

Little "d." It's not inconceivable that the humanity of Jesus Christ had to be subdued.

What’s an adjective? Satan is a noun and devil is both a noun and an adjective.

Mar 3:22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.”
Mar 3:23 And he called them to him and said to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan?
Mar 3:24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
Mar 3:25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.
Mar 3:26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end.

Luk 10:17 The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!”
Luk 10:18 And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.

Luk 13:10 Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath.
Luk 13:11 And behold, there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself.
Luk 13:12 When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said to her, “Woman, you are freed from your disability.”
Luk 13:13 And he laid his hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and she glorified God.
Luk 13:16 And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?”

Luk 22:3 Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve.

2Co 2:11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.

2Co 11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Rev 12:7 Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back,
Rev 12:8 but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Rev 20:2 And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years,

(All ESV.)

All 36 times that Satan is used in the NT, it is used as a noun. The verses above clearly show that Satan refers to a specific spiritual being who is in opposition to God--the one who is also called the devil and "that ancient serpent"--as it does in every NT verse and many OT verses.

Mt 4.

Hebrews 4:15 kjv
15. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

eddif

You of all people are now going to lecture about the proper application of the King's English ?
Why don't you first have the nerve to answer the language application questions I just got done asking you that you have so far failed to even acknowledge ?
I've been reading and studying the Greek and Hebrew of the KJV. I use only one person: Strong's. That's before the heresy of the new age modern translations that flooded the market. I know American English is a bastard language but there is one constant.
The KJV.
The inspired Word of God.
And after 46 years of my Biblical education I know one thing.
I am a child of truth being taught the Word of Truth by the Spirit of Truth about the God of Truth.
That's God's Promise to me and all His kids.
We must all see the same Jesus, we must all say the same thing as God.
To do otherwise is to oppose Him.

15. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

eddif

Matthew 4:4ff.

Scripture says so. Again, everything in the NT is against such an idea.

What’s an adjective? Satan is a noun and devil is both a noun and an adjective.

Mar 3:22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.”
Mar 3:23 And he called them to him and said to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan?
Mar 3:24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
Mar 3:25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.
Mar 3:26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end.

Luk 10:17 The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!”
Luk 10:18 And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.

Luk 13:10 Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath.
Luk 13:11 And behold, there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself.
Luk 13:12 When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said to her, “Woman, you are freed from your disability.”
Luk 13:13 And he laid his hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and she glorified God.
Luk 13:16 And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?”

Luk 22:3 Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve.

2Co 2:11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.

2Co 11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Rev 12:7 Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back,
Rev 12:8 but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Rev 20:2 And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years,

(All ESV.)

All 36 times that Satan is used in the NT, it is used as a noun. The verses above clearly show that Satan refers to a specific spiritual being who is in opposition to God--the one who is also called the devil and "that ancient serpent"--as it does in every NT verse and many OT verses.

The Term “Satan” Applied to a Human Adversary
The word “satan” occurs as a noun at various points in the Old Testament to designate a human opponent. It is translated in English Bibles as “adversary” or “enemy.” For example, King Solomon speaks of the opportunity he has to build a temple because of the absence of any “satan” or “adversary” to hinder him from this endeavor (1 Kgs 5:4). The term is also used by King David to speak of Abishai as an opponent or adversary (2 Sam 19:22).

Humans can be satan:

22 And David said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah, that ye should this day be adversaries [satan] unto me? 2 Sa 19:22.

4 But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary [satan] nor evil occurrent. 1 Ki 5:4.

And this is not exhaustive.

Back