Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Luke the physician and Divine Healing

I still can't get over the idea that it's supposedly not necessary to take children to the doctor if they develop cancer.

I guess I don't have too much else to say, really.

I still can't get over the idea that it's supposedly not necessary to take children to the doctor if they develop cancer.

I guess I don't have too much else to say, really.

I'm right there with you.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

So, lesjude, if you broke your arm in a car accident or a fall from a ladder - what would be your course of action?
Would you go to the ER or doctor or would you expect God to heal your arm without human intervention?

So, lesjude, if you broke your arm in a car accident or a fall from a ladder - what would be your course of action?
Would you go to the ER or doctor or would you expect God to heal your arm without human intervention?
Jesus is our Physician so the medical system is not necessary.

So if one's children developed cancer, it supposedly wouldn't be necessary to arrange medical attention for them?
We go to the Physician we live closest to. So should everyone. This really is not rocket science just the simple gospel and normal Christianity.

We go to the Physician we live closest to. So should everyone. This really is not rocket science just the simple gospel and normal Christianity.

Well, I wouldn't define ignoring medical treatment for one's children if they develop cancer constitutes evidence of piety, frankly. I'm not trying to put you down personally; I simply don't see how what you suggest can be so.

Well, I wouldn't define ignoring medical treatment for one's children if they develop cancer constitutes evidence of piety, frankly. I'm not trying to put you down personally; I simply don't see how what you suggest can be so.
You can start with Romans 10:9-10, then Acts 2:4 and Acts 19:5 in either order. Having Acts 2:4 makes Jude 20 possible. Then Romans 12:1 so Romans 12:2 is possible. Along the way keep doing this: Romans 10:17.

No. going to doctor for ANYTHING is NOT my position.
Not unless they can pray the prayer of faith!
[/URL]

Poorly worded on my part. I said, "In short, I see where lesjude is coming from. Give thanks to the Lord for any healing and trust in HIM,not the Docs. Furthermore, go to God first, not the Doctor. I agree with that. But God can annoint Doctors DOctors to heal you."

If everything NOT underlined is what Lesjude is saying, I can see that point. The underlined portion is my point. Actually I don't think it was that poorly worded, but it seems the point was missed.

If you are familiar with the scientific method the "practice" of medicine is no where near true science. Even the drug testing and the use of 'tested' drugs is a travesty of true science. I will say again what any competent medical professional knows, ALL drugs are POISON and harm the body in ANY amount including aspirin. If you believe God gives his bride this in place of the name, word, and shed blood of Jesus you are in error.
Read what you had to say and I'm not convinced. :shrug IMO you're making the Bible say something it doesn't actually say. Nowhere does it actually condemn the medical practice. It seems to me that it's one of the issues that the Bible is largely silent on. Which to me says it's not important.

As for James 5:14-15, keep in mind these were letters to specific churches and they can sometimes be circumstantial. Say, at that time in that place there was no practicing physician available? Or there was, but they couldn't use him for some reason or another.

And weren't at least some of the people who made medical discoveries Christians? In fact, a lot of missionaries brought medical help to the people they ministered to.

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/threat.html
Contributions to Healthcare

Healthcare is another area where Christianity has made a positive impact on society. Christians have not only been involved in healthcare; they've often been at the forefront in serving the physical health of people. Although some early Christians believed that disease came from God, so that trying to cure the sick would be going against God's will, the opposite impulse was also seen in those who saw the practice of medicine as an exercise of Christian charity.{26}
God had already shown His concern for the health of His people through the laws given through Moses. In his book, The Story of Medicine, Roberto Margotta says that the Hebrews made an important contribution to medicine by their knowledge of personal hygiene given in the book of Leviticus. In fact, he says, "the steps taken in mediaeval Europe to counteract the spread of 'leprosy' were straight out of the Bible."{27}
Of course, it was Jesus' concern for suffering that provided the primary motivation for Christians to engage in healthcare. In the Middle Ages, for examples, monks provided physical relief to the people around them. Some monasteries became infirmaries. "The best- known of these," says Margotta, "belonged to the Swiss monastery of St Gall which had been founded in 720 by an Irish monk; . . . medicines were made up by the monks themselves from plants grown in the herb garden. Help was always readily available for the sick who came to the doors of the monastery. In time, the monks who devoted themselves to medicine emerged from their retreats and started visiting the sick in their own homes." Monks were often better doctors than their lay counterparts and were in great demand.{28}
Christians played a significant role in the establishment of hospitals. In 325 A.D., the Council of Nicea "decreed that hospitals were to be duly established wherever the Church was established," says James Kennedy.{29} He notes that the hospital built by St. Basil of Caesarea in 370 even treated lepers who previously had been isolated.{30}
In the United States, the early hospitals were "framed and motivated by the responsibilities of Christian stewardship."{31} They were originally established to help the poor sick, but weren't intended to provide long-term care lest they become like the germ- infested almshouses.
A key factor in making long-term medical care possible was the "professionalization of nursing" because of higher standards of sanitation.{32} Before the 16th century, religious motivations were key in providing nursing for the sick. Anne Summers says that the willingness to fracture family ties to serve others, a disciplined lifestyle, and "a sense of heavenly justification," all of which came from Christian beliefs, undergirded ministry to the sick.{33} Even if the early nursing orders didn't achieve their own sanitation goals, "they were, nevertheless, often reaching higher sanitary standards than those previously known to the sick poor."{34}
There is much more that could be told about the contributions of Christianity to society, including the stories of Florence Nightingale, whose nursing school in London began modern nursing, and who saw herself as being in the service of God; or of the establishment of the Red Cross through the zeal of an evangelical Christian; or of the modern missions movement which continues to see Christian medical professionals devote their lives to the needs of the suffering in some of the darkest parts of the world.{35} It is obvious that in the area of medicine, as in a number of others, Christians have made a major contribution. Thus, those who deride Christianity as being detrimental are either tremendously biased in their thinking or are ignorant of history.
This page lists a lot of things Christians have contributed to society, including medical advances such as Clara Barton founding the Red Cross:
http://christiangoodinsociety.blogspot.com/

Paul Brand was another Christian who made some advances in the medical practice. He worked with people who had leprosy.

I have read quite a bit about this stuff as part of my education, sir. My education involves a lot of reading as it is literature based, rather than material gathered together into one textbook. This stuff is fact.

I don't expect to convince you, so I'm not going to debate back and forth with you. This is my last reply to you. Good day, sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back