Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Marrying from your own church emphasised

Classik

Marrying from your own church (or at least from a church that shares a common belief/doctrine)

I think this should form a new thread rather than merging it with:
Must a Christian marry a fellow Christian

I have always had this thread in mind. Thanks to Elijah23 for kind of reminding me 'bout it.

We already know we have more than 6 christian denominations in the world today.

How about marrying from another church other than from your own church, i.e from a completely different denomination?

Some doctrines, as we all know, are completely different from the others.

How can a Catholic marry a Jehovah's Witness? Or, can a White Sabbath man marry an Anglican woman? Can a Baptist and an a Non-Baptsist agree in marriage?

A 7th Day Adventist (sabbath = Saturday) vs a church that believes the sabbath day is on Friday or Sunday

My church encourages us to marry from the churches who share the same doctrine! We publicly warn people about this.

I think it is advantageous for Christians to marry Christians. Not only that, but to marry someone from their own church.

My questions:

1. Is marrying from a church with a different doctrine not as dangerous as a chrsitain marrying an unbeliever (although both call themselves christians - and you can see what christianity has suffered today in the name of doctrines)?

(In such a case we notice two christians in a cat race! Mom wants her children to worship at her church, dad disagrees; dad teaches 'this is this' while mom disagrees and teaches 'that is that'.)

2. In a case where this is not a problem, is it okay for a couple to worship in different churches? (Our church is against this. We encourage the two to agree and worship in one church)

Your contribution, please.

"It is good for a man not to marry." (1 Corinthians 7:1)

"...those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this." (1 Corinthians 7:28 NIV1984)

If I sound pessimistic about marriage and all it's potential problems it's because I am. It's one thing to know what you're supposed to do to make a marriage happy, but it takes TWO people who know and practice what you're supposed to do to make a marriage happy, and you pretty much have no control over that other half of the equation. Arguing about what form of religion the family will follow is just another potential misery in married life. It's a crap shoot, and if you don't like taking risks you prolly should not get married.

i disagree, heres why

lets say two persons marry and one is a preterist and the other is a pre-tribber. they both have kids and they want to teach their view. so they must either compromise or decide to teach both.

if both then the proper way of looking at the bible wins as evidenc for both is presented and the best case is made. im going through this in parts as my church is a die hard trib church and im not. and i can handle any tribber argument.

Where I live, many of my Christian friends have married spouses of different churches and denominations and they don't seem to have any major problems at all.

One presbyterian that worships in traditional hymns married an evangelical that worships in modern hip music, but she had no problems accepting the different worship styles.

Another from a non-tongue church married one from a tongue-speaking church and it didn't leave any tongues wagging either ... :lol

A denomination is just that, a part of another with just a different name. In other words, denominations are as plentiful as there are humans in the "named" churches. There are just a certain amount that have actually stepped away from one "named" church to start another.

So with that in mind, the fact is that even if you marry in the same denomination, you will NOT be marrying another with the exact same beliefs as you. Its impossible. And in the off chance that you do find someone with a good number of beliefs as you, the chance that you could find the same person in another denomination are just as great.

Now, should we marry - commit our lives with another - with someone who does not share any of our beliefs? Good luck with that marriage. But its not just limited to "Christians". If a non-believer marries another non-believer with the same life goals and ideas, their marriage has just the same amount of ability to stay together and "work".

But the truth of the matter is that a follower of Christ has the ability to have a successful marriage with ANYONE, given the circumstances surrounding it. Obviously, we are taught that a follower should not form a relationship with a non-follower. But if the marriage comes first, then it is possible for the marriage to work.

What we find NO teaching of is the idea of "denominational" marriage. And there is good reason. Because in the Kingdom of God there are NO denominations and ALL are apart of ONE body.

The end of the matter: Marry someone that is apart of the same body as you...someone who follows Christ - not a man or woman that gets up in front of you two each week and gives a sermon.

Assuming the two people are both Christians and there aren't any major doctrinal differences, I don't see it being too much of a problem. As for raising kids where the parents have differing views of some doctrines, for instance end times, as Jason said teach both and the child can make up it's own decision.

However, regardless of the backgrounds of the married couple, I think it's best for the whole family to go to the same church.

Well, marrying someone from the same Church as you sort of just makes sense, doesn't it? Where is a better place to meet people than Church? Moreover, there is a saying in my local Church: It takes a Church to raise a child. Parents can get help from other members of the Church when they have children. Marrying out of your Church typically disallows that sort of thing.

Classik said:
My questions:

1. Is marrying from a church with a different doctrine not as dangerous as a chrsitain marrying an unbeliever (although both call themselves christians - and you can see what christianity has suffered today in the name of doctrines)?

(In such a case we notice two christians in a cat race! Mom wants her children to worship at her church, dad disagrees; dad teaches 'this is this' while mom disagrees and teaches 'that is that'.)

2. In a case where this is not a problem, is it okay for a couple to worship in different churches? (Our church is against this. We encourage the two to agree and worship in one church)

Your contribution, please.

There should be no problem in marrying in any denomination as long as he is a true believer of Christ.

The problem however is knowing if a person is a true believer of Christ. For example, a Catholic preach salvation by works. He would have done many good works as his denomination instructs, and yet have no true faith, he is a lost soul. Jehovah witness deny Isa 9:6 from their own Bible making a fool of themselves - it's quite funny when they knock at my door, i ask them to read it from their own bible and they immediately go away. Assembly of God insists that the filling of Holy Spirit must always accompany with speaking in tongues. While their doctrine contradicts 1Cor 12:8-11, there isn't any issues with other statements of faith. Baptists are very traditional when compared to AoG and I haven't seen any issue in their statement of faith. 7th day Adventists stress on the 7th day as worship and originated based on the false prophet Ellen G White. I did not label her as a false prophet but the scripture does due to the false prophecies which failed several times. 7th day Adventists also stress mostly on vegetarian foods to be God's plan (but they forgot God Himself ate meat and 7th day is about rest and not worship). They seem to teach sound doctrine but they are fundamentally wrong right from their origin and motive. There are several denominations who can be labeled as cult, heresies etc. Some good denominations had recently started to ordain gay pastors and reverends as well.

So, in short, I will simply stand by what the scripture says: marriage between true believers.

"It is good for a man not to marry." (1 Corinthians 7:1)

"...those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this." (1 Corinthians 7:28 NIV1984)

If I sound pessimistic about marriage and all it's potential problems it's because I am. It's one thing to know what you're supposed to do to make a marriage happy, but it takes TWO people who know and practice what you're supposed to do to make a marriage happy, and you pretty much have no control over that other half of the equation. Arguing about what form of religion the family will follow is just another potential misery in married life. It's a crap shoot, and if you don't like taking risks you prolly should not get married.

Those are Paul's own idea which Paul writes by his own - not something what God said or inspired by Holy Spirit as we see in verse 6 of the same chapter. (1Cor 7:6) I say this as a concession, not as a command.

Forbid people to marry is a doctrine of demons:
(1Tim 4:1-3) The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

Paul must have referred Gen 2:18 before he is suggesting something which is clearly wrong:
(Gen 2:18) The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

(Prov 18:22) [He who] finds a wife finds a good [thing,] And obtains favor from the LORD.

People who take Paul's words don't realize that by doing so, they reject God's Word and His idea for mankind.

You must also understand that these writing are just letters - which I compare to the letter of a missionary to his churches. These are not Words of God to be taken as such. These must be compared to scripture to make sure God didn't say otherwise. If God had said otherwise, then the idea/topic in that letter must be rejected to give weight to God's Word.

I don't care as long as she's Christian. A real Christian, Mormons and their ilk don't count.

Agreed. And speaking to the OP, JW's are in the same bucket. Interesting that JW's were listed in the context of "Christian denominations". They aren't a Christian denomination.

With respect to marrying in with a different Biblical church denomination, I believe it's fine as long as non-salvific matters are not treated as salvific. Also, there must be an agreement that they will worship the same community of believers. If they cannot agree to one or the other of their church's, they must find another one to worship together with. If one person has the expectation that the other will become a member of their church, and s/he has no intention to, that could create strife. I would venture to say most thoughtful Christians can find doctrines from their church that they disagree with; at least one. But they are able to look past them for the matters that matter.

Back