Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Mental illness

That is where the problem lies, 'a person's ability to determine the nature of the illness truly helps a lot. Most people do not believe such an illness could be a demonic one.
So what do you suggest, when the person incharge does not believe that some of these people are under the torment of the devil?

I'll answer this with what I did. My friend and her son who lived in another state called and said her son was getting violently crazy even though he was on meds for his mental illness and she thought it might be a demon causing this. Her sister and a couple other ladies joined me in prayer to see if this was a demon and in fact it was. We started praying over this young man, but all we could hear was something laughing at us as we all heard it so I asked everyone to stop praying as we needed to regroup and be as one in the Lord as some got frightened and this was hindering our praying as we were not all one in the Spirit anymore and they had no business continuing as this is not something you want to play with.

I knew I needed to pray in private for the Holy Spirit to move in that room and in that young man before we started again so I went to get up and go outside to pray, but the door would not open and was locked on the outside as I tried to unlock it on the inside. I knew it was the demon trying to stop me so all I did was call out Jesus name and the door opened and I got into prayer with Jesus and he told me to go back in and start praying again and as soon as we came together again as one in Christ you could feel the power of the Holy Spirit moving in us and through that young man removing that demon from him. We knew it was gone and as soon as we were done praying and thanking Jesus the phone rang and all we could hear on the phone was it's gone, it's gone and my son is sleeping so peaceably right now.

I right all this to answer your question of what to do when the one in charge doesn't believe it's a demon.....pray anyway.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much, James 5:16.

I'll answer this with what I did. My friend and her son who lived in another state called and said her son was getting violently crazy even though he was on meds for his mental illness and she thought it might be a demon causing this. Her sister and a couple other ladies joined me in prayer to see if this was a demon and in fact it was. We started praying over this young man, but all we could hear was something laughing at us as we all heard it so I asked everyone to stop praying as we needed to regroup and be as one in the Lord as some got frightened and this was hindering our praying as we were not all one in the Spirit anymore and they had no business continuing as this is not something you want to play with.

I knew I needed to pray in private for the Holy Spirit to move in that room and in that young man before we started again so I went to get up and go outside to pray, but the door would not open and was locked on the outside as I tried to unlock it on the inside. I knew it was the demon trying to stop me so all I did was call out Jesus name and the door opened and I got into prayer with Jesus and he told me to go back in and start praying again and as soon as we came together again as one in Christ you could feel the power of the Holy Spirit moving in us and through that young man removing that demon from him. We knew it was gone and as soon as we were done praying and thanking Jesus the phone rang and all we could hear on the phone was it's gone, it's gone and my son is sleeping so peaceably right now.

I right all this to answer your question of what to do when the one in charge doesn't believe it's a demon.....pray anyway.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much, James 5:16.

It is a great testiomony...God's divine intervention! :amen

Normally I wouldn't even entertain a response that it's demon possession because from what I know it is rarely that. Much more often--indeed the vast majority of the time--it is not that.

I would think it would take a professional who is also learned in theology and a Christian to be able to truly discern when it is a demonic spirit, as those spirits are easily discernible, at least to me.

I daresay (and will not argue because I know there are those here who believe what they believe and will not alter) that this is a major problem with seeking counsel only from a minister. You get what you seek, and if the person, person's relatives and friends, and the minister all determine it is only demon possession, then the person will never heal (for lack of treatment) when it is not.

Unless I recognize a demonic spirit, the thought never crosses my mind. And, in patient therapy, there has not been one case of demon possession in my presence. (No, I'm not denying that there is a story of such regarding Christ's casting them out, and surely with the apostles as well. And I am quite most assuredly convinced of even modern day satanic ritual abuse.)

Prayer is always helpful, but can make a person worse whether demon possessed or "merely" schizophrenic.

Thanks, Gazelle:salute
So my problem now is, how can a nonchristian take care of a mental illness caused by a demonic possession - and when the person does not believe in supernatural powers.
--
Can it work?
I am not a demon fan:lol

If what you stated were to be true, that would indeed seem impossible. That scenario would take a knowing disciple to fast and pray and cast that one out.

However, I doubt that someone who is demon possessed doesn't know of supernatural powers in some form. I daresay that today's dabbling in the dark arts draws demons into people's lives.. and some, such as the guy on tv who goes and antagonizes "ghosts" in "haunted" places, ask them to come. Playing with ouija boards, spells, etc., reading the books and watching the numerous films today feeds and allows the demons to come into your life.

Let me be specific here. A born again believer in Christ, one sealed by the Holy Spirit can NOT be possessed by demonic spirits. Not possessed, but oppressed (and for that, speaking with power the Word of God will cause them to leave you alone "for now".) Only those who have not been regenerated can be possessed.

Are you sure there is not a medical problem? When was their last complete physical? Hormonal shifts can cause bizarre behavior and thinking. This can be due to puberty, pregnancy, and other changes in life. Have they had an MMPI to see just what area is their "thinking" irrational? That's a basic psychological inventory that you might be able to have the regular GP or MD request from a clinic. So I guess my main question is how do you know this person is possessed and not oppressed or physically ill or even mentally unwell?

On the other note, I would suspect that the person has to notice something "wrong" or "different" perhaps with their thinking or behavior, or at the very least of the stories others are telling them about being with them. You might help the person realize there is a problem that way. I would continue to witness strongly with the Word of God to them... not argumentative but consistently questioning and reasoning with them and see if the reaction is hyper in any way.

Even if there is demonic activity of some sort, you might need to get them medicated, at least for a while, before they get the process of getting cleaned up and saved underway. In my own experience of madness, I opened myself up to demonic activity in my life (I'm not saying I was possessed--I mean, I wasn't turning my head 360 degrees or vomiting up green stuff), which made my mental problems worse. That being said, it was a combination of factors--brain structure abnormalities (in my case, brain damage), stress, psychological issues, social issues, family issues, and demonic activity--that got me to the point where I was hospitalized and diagnosed first with some weird kind of schizophrenia with a "psychosomatic regression and dissociative features" (don't you like shrink-speak?). That diagnosis was changed to "Bipolar I with psychotic features," probably because white people from respectable white-collar families don't get diagnosed with schizophrenia these days.

Judging from the "crazy" people I've known in all sorts of contexts--support groups, friendships, cellmates during my stint in jail, people I knew at Christian Rehab--my situation was similar to those of other "mad" people, except most of them probably didn't/don't have as much brain damage as I do. Common factors: sexual immorality, drug and/or alcohol misuse, rejection of Christ, self-centeredness, family problems, being either too socially adept (making it easier to get into trouble AND get away with it, for a while) or socially awkward (resulting in social isolation and all the craziness that comes with it).

I can't really offer a solution to madness--my own healing/restoration is ongoing--but my own progress has involved: social interaction, a normal sleep/wake schedule, minimal medication (but using effective doses; just avoid cocktails and heavy doses), (re)building good family connections, pursuing interests, physical activity, healthy diet, supplements (you know stressed out "crazy" people need some vitamins), and, of course, Jesus.

If what you stated were to be true, that would indeed seem impossible. That scenario would take a knowing disciple to fast and pray and cast that one out.

However, I doubt that someone who is demon possessed doesn't know of supernatural powers in some form. I daresay that today's dabbling in the dark arts draws demons into people's lives.. and some, such as the guy on tv who goes and antagonizes "ghosts" in "haunted" places, ask them to come. Playing with ouija boards, spells, etc., reading the books and watching the numerous films today feeds and allows the demons to come into your life.

Let me be specific here. A born again believer in Christ, one sealed by the Holy Spirit can NOT be possessed by demonic spirits. Not possessed, but oppressed (and for that, speaking with power the Word of God will cause them to leave you alone "for now".) Only those who have not been regenerated can be possessed.

Are you sure there is not a medical problem? When was their last complete physical? Hormonal shifts can cause bizarre behavior and thinking. This can be due to puberty, pregnancy, and other changes in life. Have they had an MMPI to see just what area is their "thinking" irrational? That's a basic psychological inventory that you might be able to have the regular GP or MD request from a clinic. So I guess my main question is how do you know this person is possessed and not oppressed or physically ill or even mentally unwell?

On the other note, I would suspect that the person has to notice something "wrong" or "different" perhaps with their thinking or behavior, or at the very least of the stories others are telling them about being with them. You might help the person realize there is a problem that way. I would continue to witness strongly with the Word of God to them... not argumentative but consistently questioning and reasoning with them and see if the reaction is hyper in any way.

It is like I did not specify anyone in my last post. I was trying to ask, 'How could a doctor treat a person who is under a demonic bondage? The doctor does not believe in such things as 'demon-possessed', the demon-possessed is seen as mentally m*d (not in all cases).
--
such people exist (I don't promote demons...I have seen people perish in their attempt to assist or cure such a condition). Is the same treatment applied?:dunno

OIC a truly general question...if someone is seeing anyone who is Christian, guaranteed the treatment will include prayer. :D But no, if there's a psychiatrist or MD only involved odds are they will receive medication as their primary treatment, imo. Unless the doctor is a real Christian and God leads them in their diagnosis, that is.

If they see a counselor, psychologist or such the diagnosis might go towards a personality disorder or maybe schizo-affective, or if the demon speaks to them then possibly even a dissociative disorder might be given. Of course, if the demon is true to form, even a non believing counselor or minister etc would probably believe. (Just my pov.) If someone stays in therapy and doesn't progress they generally quit going (and who could blame them) ... the psychologist that doesn't see any progress or hope for such more than likely will refer them to someone more skilled, or even ask a psychiatrist for help if the patient is truly suffering.

I really think it also depends upon what country and where in the country (like in the USA) a person lives and practices. There are pockets of activity along the realms of demonism and voodoo etc where a professional would at least be aware of the possibility. As for the general city person, I doubt it. The Christian professionals I know, well, I'm pretty sure they would have what they might first call a gut feeling, that being the Holy Spirit discernment, about with what they are dealing, and questioning might follow that line as well. (Do you consider yourself a religious person... have you had any experiences positive or negative...etc.)

I'm probably rambling here... but psychotherapy for dissociative disorders can be long term with progress that ebbs and flows throughout. Often the ones who have suffered from satanic ritual abuse suffer with what used to be called multiple personality (now dissociative identity disorder) where the brain segregates the horrific traumas off individually in effort to survive. Breaking down those barriers, even to realize the disorder can take time. There may also be an alter or personality who takes on the evil aspects, perhaps even acting out the abuse, and this could appear as being demonic itself, when it isn't....

Back