Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

New Age Practices for Christians to Avoid

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

hawkman

Staff member
As many as I have listed here there are more to be found . Your input to this thread is welcome :) .

1. Aliens - Trying to access aliens can open the door to demons in your life .

2. Angel Cards - A mixture of truth and lies from the demonic realm .

3. Angel Readings - No we don't pray to or for angels . God directs them for our needs .

4. Ascended Masters - We do not need help from deceased teachers . Ain't happening .

5. Astral Projection - Do not seek an out of body experience .If God wants to give you an out of body experience he will without you seeking it .

6. Astrology - Using the stars and planets for divination is forbidden . Horoscope ,you know "What sign are you ? "

7. Chakras - A spiritual power point used in yoga and Eastern Mysticism . A spiritual experience from the wrong place , not of God .

8. Channeled Books - An author writing a book with a spirits help , need I say more .

9. Channeling - Empty yourself out and have a spirit speak through you , are you kidding me !

10. Crystals - "Amplify healing energy " no they do not .

11. Cults - I think you have heard of this one . Moonies , Heavens Gate , Manson Family , etc.

12. Deities and Divinities - Little "g" gods and goddesses , stay far away from these .

13. Divination - Another way of saying fortune telling , you will receive lies and info from demons .

14. Dream Catchers - No we don't need to catch our dreams .

15. Drumming Circles - Beating on a drum under the full moon and go into a trance state . What could go wrong here ?

16. Energy Healing - No you are not a conduit for " universal energy " .

17. Entity Group - A group of spirits who speak through channelers , guess where their power comes from ?

18. Fairies - You already know this right ?

19. Feng Shui - Spiritual furniture rearranging , no way .

20. Harry Potter - An intro to witchcraft , need I say more ?

21. Horoscopes - Do not place your faith in things other than God .

22. Idols - Remember about the Golden Calf ?

23. Journeying - A mental trip through meditation , drumming , chanting or using drugs . This will not end good .

24. Mandalas - Supernatural power from wearing patterns ? NO !

25. Manifesting - No we can't create and attract whatever we want if we are positive enough .

26. Meditating without God - Do not attempt to empty your mind , in comes the demonic .

27. Mediumship - Don't try to contact the dead , haven't we already said that ?

28. Numerology - Sure the bible has number symbology but don't use numbers for fortune telling .

29. Oracle Cards - No we do not need cards to predict our future .

30. Paganism - It is still going on .

31. Pantheism - God is everywhere but He is not everything .

32. Past-Life Regression - Reincarnation , not happening .

33. Peace Sign - Is an upside down broken cross , this can't be good .

34. Pendulums - Trying to get a yes or no answer with a pointed crystal at the end of chain , again are you kidding me !

35. Polytheism - Many gods , no that is a lie .

36. Power Animals - Spirit animals for our protection , NO .

37. Prosperity Gospel - God is NOT your magic genie .

38. Psychic Readings - Some truth to reel you in and mostly lies from you know where .

39. Reiki - Casting healing symbols toward people , NO , not from God .

40. Shamanism - Their power does not come from God .

41. Sorcery - Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

42. Spirit Guides - Benevolent spirits that guide you through life , no it ain't happening .

43. Statues - See idols .

44. Sweat Lodges - Another new age idea to seek visions . You could sweat to death by the way .

45. Tapping - If you are out of balance pray instead , no tapping .

46. Tarot Cards - Cards telling the future yet again , not happening .

47. Universalism- Everyone goes to heaven ? You must be born again to make it !

48. Wicca - Spells and magik , need I say more ?

49. Witchcraft - 1 Samuel 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

50. Yoga - It comes from deity worship and the poses are directed to a specific god or goddess . Also told to empty your mind and meditate . Do Pilates instead of yoga .

51. Zodiac Signs - Signs from astrology , no future telling using the stars and planets . Place you faith in God .

52 Gaia worship - Worship the Creator not the creation .

https://doreenvirtue.com/2019/07/21/an-a-z-list-of-new-age-practices-to-avoid-and-why/

You can always live in a closet in a remote cabin where you'll be safe from the above. Can't your faith lift you above these fears?

As a single example, it's a good thing that the three men from the East didn't know about using the stars and planets for divination.

Or emptying yourself out and have a spirit speak through you, which is the basis of being born from above and being guided by the Holy Spirit.

You can always live in a closet in a remote cabin where you'll be safe from the above. Can't your faith lift you above these fears?

As a single example, it's a good thing that the three men from the East didn't know about using the stars and planets for divination.

Or emptying yourself out and have a spirit speak through you, which is the basis of being born from above and being guided by the Holy Spirit.

That's exactly what Enoch did. He went and lived in a cave. When his family wanted to visit him, they journeyed to him in the cave. And Enoch was so cool that God just took him away from all of this insanity funhouse that we call earth.

Oh that my faith was such as Enoch's!

As many as I have listed here there are more to be found . Your input to this thread is welcome :) .

3. Angel Readings - No we don't pray to or for angels . God directs them for our needs .

4. Ascended Masters - We do not need help from deceased teachers . Ain't happening .

5. Astral Projection - Do not seek an out of body experience .If God wants to give you an out of body experience he will without you seeking it .

6. Astrology - Using the stars and planets for divination is forbidden . Horoscope ,you know "What sign are you ? "

7. Chakras - A spiritual power point used in yoga and Eastern Mysticism . A spiritual experience from the wrong place , not of God .

8. Channeled Books - An author writing a book with a spirits help , need I say more .

9. Channeling - Empty yourself out and have a spirit speak through you , are you kidding me !

11. Cults - I think you have heard of this one . Moonies , Heavens Gate , Manson Family , etc.

12. Deities and Divinities - Little "g" gods and goddesses , stay far away from these .

13. Divination - Another way of saying fortune telling , you will receive lies and info from demons .

15. Drumming Circles - Beating on a drum under the full moon and go into a trance state . What could go wrong here ?

17. Entity Group - A group of spirits who speak through channelers , guess where their power comes from ?

23. Journeying - A mental trip through meditation , drumming , chanting or using drugs . This will not end good .

25. Manifesting - No we can't create and attract whatever we want if we are positive enough .

26. Meditating without God - Do not attempt to empty your mind , in comes the demonic .

28. Numerology - Sure the bible has number symbology but don't use numbers for fortune telling .

34. Pendulums - Trying to get a yes or no answer with a pointed crystal at the end of chain , again are you kidding me !

38. Psychic Readings - Some truth to reel you in and mostly lies from you know where .

41. Sorcery - Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

42. Spirit Guides - Benevolent spirits that guide you through life , no it ain't happening .

44. Sweat Lodges - Another new age idea to seek visions . You could sweat to death by the way .

49. Witchcraft - 1 Samuel 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

50. Yoga - It comes from deity worship and the poses are directed to a specific god or goddess . Also told to empty your mind and meditate . Do Pilates instead of yoga .

51. Zodiac Signs - Signs from astrology , no future telling using the stars and planets . Place you faith in God .

https://doreenvirtue.com/2019/07/21/an-a-z-list-of-new-age-practices-to-avoid-and-why/

Great example for Christians to understand and avoid, especially teaching our children about these things.

God has always warned His people of things that will cause them to go astray.

Great word. Amen!

Dont be dismayed of those who mock and downplay the importance to heed these things.

“If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods’—which you have not known—‘and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the LORD your God is testing you to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
Deuteronomy 13:1-3

JLB

Agreed with the exception that I do believe scripturally in the prosperity gospel. Not that wealth should be the focus, but throughout I see that many righteous men such as Abraham (Genesis 20:14-16), Isaac (Genesis 26:13-15), Jacob (Genesis 30:43), Job (Job 42), Solomon (1 Kings 10:14-25), and Esther were abundantly blessed. Even Christ on birth was given gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And even probably having to leave that behind Joseph was a carpenter and I am sure their needs were met. The Bible also talks a lot about prosperity such as in Proverbs.

Promises with conditions:

I can look up the scriptures and post them in request... My brain is just mush right now and I'm tired. :biggrin If you give, it will be given to you good measure.

Like 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Seeking God's kingdom first is what is important, but we are royalty in Christ Jesus. Financially, if you have it, you can help others in that way. Not a lot of people can handle money, because they "love money" too much.

(Ill plug scriptures in, but post, because I have kids and yeh... :biggrin) edited with scriptures

Last edited:
Great example for Christians to understand and avoid, especially teaching our children about these things.

God has always warned His people of things that will cause them to go astray.

Great word. Amen!

Dont be dismayed of those who mock and downplay the importance to heed these things.

“If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods’—which you have not known—‘and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the LORD your God is testing you to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
Deuteronomy 13:1-3

JLB
So, how's the Old Covenant going?

Will this remote cabin have indoor plumbing and internet :biggrin2 ? Fear ? I am ok there .
I would say prophecy not divination was what brought the men . Refer to Daniel 9:24-27 and Numbers 24:17 .
First I have ever heard :chin about emptying yourself out in relation to The Holy Spirit . The Holy Spirit would be the only Spirit I would want speaking through me .

Do you speak/pray in tongues as The Holy Spirit gives the utterance ?

Reactions: JLB

I’m part of the New Covenant in Christ. I give heed to His word.

He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:-8

Can't your faith lift you above these fears?

Faith doesn’t keep from practicing witchcraft, sorcery and divination.

Obedience to God’s word does that.

The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life,
To turn one away from the snares of death.
Proverbs 14:27

Like 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
In the same chapter of Luke 6
20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

Our reward and treasure is in heaven . A private Jet costing $50,000,000 dollars to spread the Gospel ? Jesus rode on a borrowed donkey .

Benny Hinn may have seen the light .

Benny Hinn quotes .
"I think it’s an offense to the Lord, it’s an offense to say give $1,000. I think it’s an offense to the Holy Spirit to place a price on the Gospel. I’m done with it. I will never again ask you to give $1,000 or whatever amount, because I think the Holy Ghost is just fed up with it."
"
"When I was younger, I was influenced by the preachers who taught whatever they taught. But as I’ve lived longer I’m thinking, wait a minute, you know this doesn’t fit totally with the Bible and it doesn’t fit with the reality. So what is prosperity? No lack…

Did Elijah the prophet have a car? No. Did not even have a bicycle. He had no lack. … Did Jesus drive a car or live in a mansion? No. He had no lack. How about the Apostles? None lacked among them,” Hinn said. “Today, the idea is abundance and palatial homes and cars and bank accounts. The focus is wrong … It’s so wrong."

https://pcpj.org/2019/09/06/benny-hinn-just-denounced-the-health-and-wealth-gospel-but-why/

Will this remote cabin have indoor plumbing and internet :biggrin2 ? Fear ? I am ok there .

I would say prophecy not divination was what brought the men . Refer to Daniel 9:24-27 and Numbers 24:17 .

First I have ever heard :chin about emptying yourself out in relation to The Holy Spirit . The Holy Spirit would be the only Spirit I would want speaking through me .

Do you speak/pray in tongues as The Holy Spirit gives the utterance ?
Yes, I do speak/pray in tongues as The Holy Spirit gives the utterance. I received my prayer language shortly after I was healed by Christ in the hospital.

Praise God you were healed !
Yes!! I was in the hospital with an unbreakable asthma spasm. I was also an atheist! A pastor with whom I had been debating the Bible came and asked me if she could read some scripture and pray for me. I agreed, so she read Matthew 11:28-30, then prayed "Jesus, heal this man". Immediately the asthma spasm broke and I became whole and healthy. A day later a Christian friend asked me if I had received my prayer language yet and I said "no". When I prayed for it I immediately began to "speak in tongues" -- a language that made no sense logically but made total sense spiritually.

I have now been a Christian for 44 years and was an elder in a local, non-denominational church until I retired from that position three years ago. I still read the Bible and pray both in English and my prayer language every day.

Agreed with the exception that I do believe scripturally in the prosperity gospel. Not that wealth should be the focus, but throughout I see that many righteous men such as Abraham (Genesis 20:14-16), Isaac (Genesis 26:13-15), Jacob (Genesis 30:43), Job (Job 42), Solomon (1 Kings 10:14-25), and Esther were abundantly blessed. Even Christ on birth was given gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And even probably having to leave that behind Joseph was a carpenter and I am sure their needs were met. The Bible also talks a lot about prosperity such as in Proverbs.

Promises with conditions:

I can look up the scriptures and post them in request... My brain is just mush right now and I'm tired. :biggrin If you give, it will be given to you good measure.

Seeking God's kingdom first is what is important, but we are royalty in Christ Jesus. Financially, if you have it, you can help others in that way. Not a lot of people can handle money, because they "love money" too much.

(Ill plug scriptures in, but post, because I have kids and yeh... :biggrin) edited with scriptures
amen - well said

Yes!! I was in the hospital with an unbreakable asthma spasm. I was also an atheist! A pastor with whom I had been debating the Bible came and asked me if she could read some scripture and pray for me. I agreed, so she read Matthew 11:28-30, then prayed "Jesus, heal this man". Immediately the asthma spasm broke and I became whole and healthy. A day later a Christian friend asked me if I had received my prayer language yet and I said "no". When I prayed for it I immediately began to "speak in tongues" -- a language that made no sense logically but made total sense spiritually.

I have now been a Christian for 44 years and was an elder in a local, non-denominational church until I retired from that position three years ago. I still read the Bible and pray both in English and my prayer language every day.

Great testimony!

Thanks for sharing.

The Greek word for sorcery is pharmekia, where we get pharmacy. It means "enchantment of the mind" and specifically refers to "recreational" drug use. Altering your state of consiousness.

If you are getting high or drunk, you fall into sorcery.

Good list BTW!

The Greek word for sorcery is pharmekia, where we get pharmacy. It means "enchantment of the mind" and specifically refers to "recreational" drug use. Altering your state of consiousness.

If you are getting high or drunk, you fall into sorcery.

Good list BTW!
One conservative film maker was talking about visiting a shaman that would "guide" them and give them ayahuasca to drink :eek . I did my best to inform him he was going somewhere God does NOT want us to go ! So sad .

Belief in Deity
God is the impersonal life force, consciousness, ultimate truth and reality, the incorporeal, formless cosmic order personified within all people and matter. God is all and all are God.

Incarnations
Most believe there are no particular incarnations to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of God.

Origin of Universe and Life
The universe, life, and matter were not created by God but "are" God. The universe and life emerged out of the creative power of the eternal universal life force.

After Death
Some believe in continual rebirth--no death--as life is spirit. Some believe that our souls rest for a time before deciding on a new body (or bodies). Heaven and hell are states of consciousness, self-imposed, due to ignorance of God as all.

Why Evil?
No original sin, no Satan, and no evil. Most believe people make "mistakes" when they are ignorant of the power of goodness, which is God, within themselves and others. Some believe evil is perpetuated through accumulation of past-life wrongs and spiritual ignorance.

Salvation
Salvation lies in the realization of oneness with the impersonal life force. Awareness can be heightened through methods that induce altered states of consciousness, e.g., hypnosis, meditation, music, drugs. Spiritual "tools" include crystals, tarot cards, amulets, channeling, fortunetellers and psychics. Some believe the salvation of humanity will occur when a critical mass is reached, when people converge in experiencing their oneness with God and with each other. This will bring a New World Order or new Planetary Order, resulting in oneness of civilization and one-world government, peace, and harmony.

Undeserved Suffering
Suffering is the result of greed, hatred, and spiritual ignorance in a person's, or humanity's, past lifetimes, which returns as suffering (karma). Suffering is sometimes viewed as occurring for a specific purpose, to further spiritual growth and learn a life lesson. Suffering is also seen as illusory, in that it results from attachment to bodily pleasure and pain, and only the universal life force within, God, truly exists.

Contemporary Issues
Abortion is not condemned, as there is no official doctrine. Generally, adherents are supportive of a woman's right to choose abortion.

These things are given that we are not deceived by the world as the carnal man is deceived.

2Thess 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Thess 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2Thess 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

The words of God warning us in the OT are that of what Christ continues to warn us about in the new covenant of Hos grace.

Back