Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

New Age Practices for Christians to Avoid

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In the same chapter of Luke 6
20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

Our reward and treasure is in heaven . A private Jet costing $50,000,000 dollars to spread the Gospel ? Jesus rode on a borrowed donkey .

Benny Hinn may have seen the light .

Benny Hinn quotes .
"I think it’s an offense to the Lord, it’s an offense to say give $1,000. I think it’s an offense to the Holy Spirit to place a price on the Gospel. I’m done with it. I will never again ask you to give $1,000 or whatever amount, because I think the Holy Ghost is just fed up with it."
"
"When I was younger, I was influenced by the preachers who taught whatever they taught. But as I’ve lived longer I’m thinking, wait a minute, you know this doesn’t fit totally with the Bible and it doesn’t fit with the reality. So what is prosperity? No lack…

Did Elijah the prophet have a car? No. Did not even have a bicycle. He had no lack. … Did Jesus drive a car or live in a mansion? No. He had no lack. How about the Apostles? None lacked among them,” Hinn said. “Today, the idea is abundance and palatial homes and cars and bank accounts. The focus is wrong … It’s so wrong."

https://pcpj.org/2019/09/06/benny-hinn-just-denounced-the-health-and-wealth-gospel-but-why/
Php 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Anything above our need is nothing more than wants. Nothing wrong with wanting nice things, but when money becomes your idol you place above God then that is where the sin creeps in. I'd rather have God's riches and store my treasure up in heaven which will be our permanent home.

Belief in Deity
God is the impersonal life force, consciousness, ultimate truth and reality, the incorporeal, formless cosmic order personified within all people and matter. God is all and all are God.

Incarnations
Most believe there are no particular incarnations to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of God.

Origin of Universe and Life
The universe, life, and matter were not created by God but "are" God. The universe and life emerged out of the creative power of the eternal universal life force.

After Death
Some believe in continual rebirth--no death--as life is spirit. Some believe that our souls rest for a time before deciding on a new body (or bodies). Heaven and hell are states of consciousness, self-imposed, due to ignorance of God as all.

Why Evil?
No original sin, no Satan, and no evil. Most believe people make "mistakes" when they are ignorant of the power of goodness, which is God, within themselves and others. Some believe evil is perpetuated through accumulation of past-life wrongs and spiritual ignorance.

Salvation
Salvation lies in the realization of oneness with the impersonal life force. Awareness can be heightened through methods that induce altered states of consciousness, e.g., hypnosis, meditation, music, drugs. Spiritual "tools" include crystals, tarot cards, amulets, channeling, fortunetellers and psychics. Some believe the salvation of humanity will occur when a critical mass is reached, when people converge in experiencing their oneness with God and with each other. This will bring a New World Order or new Planetary Order, resulting in oneness of civilization and one-world government, peace, and harmony.

Undeserved Suffering
Suffering is the result of greed, hatred, and spiritual ignorance in a person's, or humanity's, past lifetimes, which returns as suffering (karma). Suffering is sometimes viewed as occurring for a specific purpose, to further spiritual growth and learn a life lesson. Suffering is also seen as illusory, in that it results from attachment to bodily pleasure and pain, and only the universal life force within, God, truly exists.

Contemporary Issues
Abortion is not condemned, as there is no official doctrine. Generally, adherents are supportive of a woman's right to choose abortion.
Where does the above come from?

I’m part of the New Covenant in Christ. I give heed to His word.

He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:-8
Non sequitor IMHO. How did this become part of the discussion?

Non sequitor IMHO. How did this become part of the discussion?

You made it a part of the discussion, with your question that asks—

So, how's the Old Covenant going?

This is helpful. I would add most talk therapy. Rooted in godless pseudo science and many practitioners lean towards the occult and also towards fraud.

I agree with most of the list (seeing as most of it is related to other religions or idol worship), but a few of the things are....ehh.
For instance, I don't think portrayal of magic or other stuff in fiction is bad so long as we keep it in the realm of fiction and understand that seeking to practice it in reality would be wrong. For instance, Avatar: The Last Airbender (a Nickelodeon series from the 2000's) uses a lot of stuff from Eastern religions (including Hinduism), simply because....the show is based on Asian culture.

I'm not one to argue back and forth, so if you disagree.... then disagree. Won't change my opinion none.

amen - well said
Yes, I agree with the prosperity gospel, to a point.
The prosperity gospel is a sad way to describe the blessings of God.
People think it's all about money and to some it is.
But good health outweighs money.
Many would gladly give all their money to have good health.
I could say the prosperity gospel is this; "praise God and pray to him for good health and to meet all your needs, and I believe God will bless you".

I agree with most of the list (seeing as most of it is related to other religions or idol worship), but a few of the things are....ehh.
For instance, I don't think portrayal of magic or other stuff in fiction is bad so long as we keep it in the realm of fiction and understand that seeking to practice it in reality would be wrong. For instance, Avatar: The Last Airbender (a Nickelodeon series from the 2000's) uses a lot of stuff from Eastern religions (including Hinduism), simply because....the show is based on Asian culture.

I'm not one to argue back and forth, so if you disagree.... then disagree. Won't change my opinion none.
The list is here so we can discuss it . Glad you agree with most of it . As adult Christians we should be guided by the Holy Spirit and have the ability to discern what we should partake of .

Odd you should mention Avatar: The Last Airbender . Of course it is fiction and as an adult we should understand that . But what about the children that this show is marketed for , on Nickelodeon a children's TV network ?

Grooming , acceptance of Hinduism as a viable religion , that can't be good .

The premise of the cartoon . "In a war-torn world of elemental magic, a young boy reawakens to undertake a dangerous mystic quest to fulfill his destiny as the Avatar, and bring peace to the world."

There is a man of the supernatural and magic soon to show up in this war-torn planet and bring peace to the world .
Do you know of who I speak ?

The insidious part about this animated TV show is the fact it is aimed at the vulnerable minds of children .

The list is here so we can discuss it . Glad you agree with most of it . As adult Christians we should be guided by the Holy Spirit and have the ability to discern what we should partake of .

Odd you should mention Avatar: The Last Airbender . Of course it is fiction and as an adult we should understand that . But what about the children that this show is marketed for , on Nickelodeon a children's TV network ?

Grooming , acceptance of Hinduism as a viable religion , that can't be good .

The premise of the cartoon . "In a war-torn world of elemental magic, a young boy reawakens to undertake a dangerous mystic quest to fulfill his destiny as the Avatar, and bring peace to the world."

There is a man of the supernatural and magic soon to show up in this war-torn planet and bring peace to the world .
Do you know of who I speak ?

The insidious part about this animated TV show is the fact it is aimed at the vulnerable minds of children .
Sorry you feel that way. Most children know the difference between reality and fiction.

For instance, I was homeschooled, right? We used a Christian curriculum (A Beka). Said curriculum still allowed us to read stories that involved beliefs from other religions, with the disclaimer "we know that this doesn't reflect the truth of Christianity, but it's fun to read it anyways"

So like. It's fine if you don't see it that way. But I'm fine with it and believe it's 100% an individual conscience thing

For instance, I was homeschooled, right? We used a Christian curriculum (A Beka). Said curriculum still allowed us to read stories that involved beliefs from other religions, with the disclaimer "we know that this doesn't reflect the truth of Christianity, but it's fun to read it anyways"
Praise the Lord you received a Christian based education ! I see nothing wrong at all with reading and discussing the beliefs from other religions in an Christian educational setting .

TV is way different from reading . Don't you agree ?

What happens to your brain when you watch TV ?
"In an experiment in 1969, Herbert Krugman monitored a person through many trials and found that in less than one minute of television viewing, the person’s brainwaves switched from Beta waves – brain waves associated with active, logical thought – to primarily Alpha waves. When the subject stopped watching television and began reading a magazine, the brainwaves reverted to Beta waves.

One thing this indicates is that most parts of the brain, parts responsible for logical thought, tune out during television viewing. The impact of television viewing on one person’s brain state is obviously not enough to conclude that the same consequences apply to everyone; however, research involving many others, completed in the years following Krugman’s experiment, has repeatedly shown that watching television produces brainwaves in the low Alpha range."

http://www.iamawake.co/your-brain-waves-change-when-you-watch-tv/

One more link about TV .

"Moreover, when you watch TV you are not able to do any thinking because information is bombarded continuously into your mind. You get no time to process what you are watching.

Your conscious mind is eliminated from the equation and the information that you receive continues to become part of your belief system."

https://www.psychmechanics.com/how-tv-influences-your-mind-through/

Praise the Lord you received a Christian based education ! I see nothing wrong at all with reading and discussing the beliefs from other religions in an Christian educational setting .

"In an experiment in 1969, Herbert Krugman monitored a person through many trials and found that in less than one minute of television viewing, the person’s brainwaves switched from Beta waves – brain waves associated with active, logical thought – to primarily Alpha waves. When the subject stopped watching television and began reading a magazine, the brainwaves reverted to Beta waves.

One thing this indicates is that most parts of the brain, parts responsible for logical thought, tune out during television viewing. The impact of television viewing on one person’s brain state is obviously not enough to conclude that the same consequences apply to everyone; however, research involving many others, completed in the years following Krugman’s experiment, has repeatedly shown that watching television produces brainwaves in the low Alpha range."

One more link about TV .

"Moreover, when you watch TV you are not able to do any thinking because information is bombarded continuously into your mind. You get no time to process what you are watching.

Your conscious mind is eliminated from the equation and the information that you receive continues to become part of your belief system."

Maybe you don't understand: the curriculum had me read READ FICTIONAL STORIES that presented other religions. In other words THE CHARACTERS IN THE STORY TALKED ABOUT THEM AS IF IT WERE TRUTH. That's not the same as reading "about" other religions.

It's not a problem so long as you understand the difference between fiction and reality. And that's what parental guidance is for

One more link about TV .

Watching TV is an activity that encompasses a wide variety of programs. It is wrong to say that when one watches the news or a documentary, that most parts of the brain, those parts responsible for logical thought, tune out during television viewing.

That is too broad a generalization. One could say the same thing about reading. It all depends on how you use your mind.

One of the best pieces of information that I have ever received was in graduate school: try to prove yourself wrong, as that is what others will try to do.

Maybe you don't understand: the curriculum had me read READ FICTIONAL STORIES that presented other religions. In other words THE CHARACTERS IN THE STORY TALKED ABOUT THEM AS IF IT WERE TRUTH. That's not the same as reading "about" other religions.

It's not a problem so long as you understand the difference between fiction and reality. And that's what parental guidance is for
For example: we read Greek mythology in school, as part of literature class. If you don't know Greek mythology, it's basically stories about the Greek gods.

Watching TV is an activity that encompasses a wide variety of programs. It is wrong to say that when one watches the news or a documentary, that most parts of the brain, those parts responsible for logical thought, tune out during television viewing.
Herbert Krugman did the research and I am trying to locate more info . Would you like more info if I can find it ? Are you reading the links I post ?

I think the network news counts on us tuning out logical thinking .

Do you remember hearing the TV news reporter talking about the mostly peaceful riots with buildings the protesters had set on fire blazing behind them on camera ?

Herbert Krugman did the research and I am trying to locate more info . Would you like more info if I can find it ? Are you reading the links I post ?

I think the network news counts on us tuning out logical thinking .

Do you remember hearing the TV news reporter talking about the mostly peaceful riots with buildings the protesters had set on fire blazing behind them on camera ?
1) No, I'm not interested in more information, as one can find information online that supports their hypothesis regardless of what it is.
2) I don't know what network you watch but those I watch often -- NBC and MSNBC -- depend people to pay attention and think critically. It's the advertisers that count on us tuning out our logical thinking. Are we really expected to buy insurance because a little lizard with a human voice tell us to?
3) No, I don't remember hearing the TV news reporter talking about the mostly peaceful riots with buildings the protesters had set on fire blazing behind them on camera ? That didn't occur on the networks I watch. Perhaps you should watch another source for your news.

1) No, I'm not interested in more information, as one can find information online that supports their hypothesis regardless of what it is.
2) I don't know what network you watch but those I watch often -- NBC and MSNBC -- depend people to pay attention and think critically. It's the advertisers that count on us tuning out our logical thinking. Are we really expected to buy insurance because a little lizard with a human voice tell us to?
3) No, I don't remember hearing the TV news reporter talking about the mostly peaceful riots with buildings the protesters had set on fire blazing behind them on camera ? That didn't occur on the networks I watch. Perhaps you should watch another source for your news.
The truth is in very limited supply now days . The truth is not necessary for good ratings and clicks .

According to this MSNBC reporter in the video .

"This mostly a protest. It is not, generally speaking, unruly. But fires have been started."

The truth is in very limited supply now days . The truth is not necessary for good ratings and clicks .

According to this MSNBC reporter in the video .

"This mostly a protest. It is not, generally speaking, unruly. But fires have been started."

What is your point?

Do you not understand the difference between fires being started and an unruly mob?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back