Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

New member, confused

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi, I’m a 36 year old woman from UK. I had a loosely Christian upbringing (Church of England). Through my adult years, I would say that I’ve alternated between being an atheist and agnostic. However, I had both of my sons christened as it was always a tradition in my family and I felt that I had to do it. I insisted that my wedding was a church wedding, or it wouldn’t have felt proper to me if it wasn’t. At Christmas last year, I had a strong inclination to go to church so I did twice over the Christmas period. I really enjoyed going. When I was doing the school run over the Christmas period, I was questioning my beliefs in relation to God when I noticed a piece of paper on the floor outside with a bible verse printed on it. This led me to look up the verse which then led to me reading some of the bible. I’ve now decided to attend church more often and take my kids along too. My husband has always considered himself Christian although he never attended church regularly so he’s happy to become more involved. I have questions though…why do I feel this way all of a sudden? Am I doing the right thing for my kids? I don’t want them to feel forced into anything although I think it would be good for them. Thanks. Rachel x

I have questions though…why do I feel this way all of a sudden? Am I doing the right thing for my kids? I don’t want them to feel forced into anything although I think it would be good for them. Thanks. Rachel x

Welcome to CF.net, Welsh Lady.

Some people just come to a turning point in their lives where they are more open to the things of God. For some, they have exhausted pursuing the darker side of life, or the things of the flesh. For others, they've just grown tired of the superficiality of modern society, or maybe all the social ills that no one has any answer for, or maybe tired of difficulties in their own lives that they never can seem to solve.

About your kids, don't force them into anything, nor make them feel like that's what you are doing. Just demonstrate that you are becoming more interested in the Christian life, and when they some day want to know why, be ready with an answer (1 Peter 3:15).

Hi Welshlady38 and welcome to CF :wave2

I believe you are feeling the conviction of the Holy Spirit to pursue a relationship with Jesus starting to come to the knowledge that He is possibly is becoming very real to you the more you read and study the word of God. Keep drawing closer to Him getting to know Him and what it means to have Him in your life.

You can always ask us questions to help you by going to the Question & Answer forum for a better fit to ask questions.

God bless and so glad you are here :)

Hi, I’m a 36 year old woman from UK. I had a loosely Christian upbringing (Church of England). Through my adult years, I would say that I’ve alternated between being an atheist and agnostic. However, I had both of my sons christened as it was always a tradition in my family and I felt that I had to do it. I insisted that my wedding was a church wedding, or it wouldn’t have felt proper to me if it wasn’t. At Christmas last year, I had a strong inclination to go to church so I did twice over the Christmas period. I really enjoyed going. When I was doing the school run over the Christmas period, I was questioning my beliefs in relation to God when I noticed a piece of paper on the floor outside with a bible verse printed on it. This led me to look up the verse which then led to me reading some of the bible. I’ve now decided to attend church more often and take my kids along too. My husband has always considered himself Christian although he never attended church regularly so he’s happy to become more involved. I have questions though…why do I feel this way all of a sudden? Am I doing the right thing for my kids? I don’t want them to feel forced into anything although I think it would be good for them. Thanks. Rachel x
Welcome to the forums! That is a very interesting story--how something so small can set you on a different path in life. You may feel that way all of a sudden because God is reaching out to you. Such a little thing as a piece of paper with a Bible verse that leads you to reading the Bible and wanting to attend church is no coincidence. This is often how the process works, or so I've read from numerous accounts, whether it is a small thing, a big thing, or even a feeling, a nudging, that starts a person on that path. It's different for me, having been raised in a Christian home, although I have thoroughly examined Christianity and found it worth believing, being an accurate explanation of reality and, therefore, true.

Are you doing the right thing for your kids? Well, I am biased, but I think you are, and so does research that shows the benefits of religious belief. Although true belief is literally infinitely superior to mere religious belief. If you think it would be good for them, that's because it really is. It's okay to "force" them gently, without being mean about it, and as they grow up, they can and must make their own decision.

Thank you so much for your replies. I’d like to add that during that time and now, I’ve been happy in my life. I’m happily married, I have 2 lovely children, happy in my job and I have good friends.

What some of you have said about God reaching out to me makes sense. At the time of seeing that piece of paper on the floor, I just put it down to coincidence but thought it was a very strange one considering I had been questioning my beliefs at that time. The verse printed on the piece of paper was ‘For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed’. I wasn’t sure what this meant so I looked it up. Ever since, I’ve been interested in learning more and reading the bible.

I felt that by going to church over Christmas made it more special and I was able to learn and appreciate what it’s really about. I have previously just celebrated it as a secular event. I had never really felt inclined to go to church over Christmas before but last Christmas, I felt that I really had to go to church and I was determined to go.

I have found a church local to me that has a Sunday school during the service which we’re going to visit on Sunday. I feel that perhaps a Sunday school would be more appealing to my little one (who is 5) than sitting through a service. My husband, older son and I intend on going to the service whilst my 5 year old is in the Sunday school.

I had been questioning my beliefs at that time.

Ah. That will do it.
I have found a church local to me that has a Sunday school during the service which we’re going to visit on Sunday. I feel that perhaps a Sunday school would be more appealing to my little one (who is 5) than sitting through a service. My husband, older son and I intend on going to the service whilst my 5 year old is in the Sunday school.

Finding a church that suits both you and your family can take a little searching sometimes, but just pray to the Lord that He leads you to one that will be a blessing to all of you.

Btw, if your 5 year old is the one you were concerned about "forcing" your beliefs on, I thought you were maybe talking about teenagers who had already come into their own. A five year old my be impressionable, but there is nothing wrong with making an impression for God. The world will be quick to make their impression against Him the minute they have the chance, so why not give him (or her) a fighting chance. Seems only reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your replies. I’d like to add that during that time and now, I’ve been happy in my life. I’m happily married, I have 2 lovely children, happy in my job and I have good friends.

What some of you have said about God reaching out to me makes sense. At the time of seeing that piece of paper on the floor, I just put it down to coincidence but thought it was a very strange one considering I had been questioning my beliefs at that time. The verse printed on the piece of paper was ‘For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed’. I wasn’t sure what this meant so I looked it up. Ever since, I’ve been interested in learning more and reading the bible.

I felt that by going to church over Christmas made it more special and I was able to learn and appreciate what it’s really about. I have previously just celebrated it as a secular event. I had never really felt inclined to go to church over Christmas before but last Christmas, I felt that I really had to go to church and I was determined to go.

Let us know how it goes.
I think it's so important to go to church with children.
My daughter was saved at 14 years old by going to church.
We would baby-sit the very little ones together and the interaction with
Christians really had a good effect on her.

Hi Rachel,

It is always a good thing to give your children education in the Christian faith. You are not forcing anything on them nor can you do so. So you are doing a good thing and our husband is also happy to be a part of this.

We as Christians, would say that you feel like this because God is calling or drawing you to Him. This is how he works. He calls people to have relationship with Him. The calling is just the beginning.

I could write a book on the benefits of being a christian walking with God but in the interest of brevity I will give you just some points. You obviously love your children. I have walked with God many years and learned to hear his voice to me. So at critical points when I did not know how to respond to my naughty children, I quickly asked God what I should do and He gave me such wisdom that met the need of my children without harming them. God helps mothers be better mothers if we ask Him for help. He has also helped my in my marriage what I ought to do in situations and it was always right and brought peace and grace and love into situations.

My recommendation is to talk to God and ask Him to show you that He is there. Ask Him to show you how He sees you. What do you have to lose?

I can answer more questions as I have asked all the questions atheists ask and sought answers as I want the truth and not just comfort.

The verse printed on the piece of paper was ‘For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed’. I wasn’t sure what this meant so I looked it up. Ever since, I’ve been interested in learning more and reading the bible.
Do you know what Christ being our Passover Lamb means now?

The types and shadows of Christ in the law of Moses is a very interesting and edifying study. God teaches us unseen and not so easily understood spiritual truths through the tangible and readily understood things of this world.

Hi maam, welcome to the forum. Remember satan is very good at what he does, so it is important that you select a church that serves the God of the Bible. A guy posted the other day that there are 44,000 different denominations, and the Bible shows how these came about. Jesus said you would be able to identify his followers by their fruits. We look at those fruits to identify whether they are serving God or not, and of course their teachings is the primary fruit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are feeling this way because apparently God is calling you. Try not to force anything. Just go to church, find sound teaching, read your Bible and pray. As you familiarize yourself more with the Word of God, it will teach you how to live for the Lord. You are doing your children a great service. In this present world, you will have your work cut out for you to raise them well. I will mention you in my prayers. Blessings.

God is calling you. Rejoice and be glad 🙂. You sound like a decent human being who just needed a touch from above to come to their senses. I always try to remember when sometimes following Christ seems too big for me…

My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Come into me all ye who are weary and I shall give you rest.

Rachel,

Just ignore those who lay on you rules at the get go. Lists and lists of do’s and don’t s. Lists and lists of what christians are and aren’t. Read what Jesus said and make your aim to do as he instructs.

(And Christmas is the only event in the Bible where angles sang and celebrated….the only one. We certainly can as well.)

No one is judging you or criticizing you. Ephesians chapter 6 and hosea chapter 5. The parents are responsible for teaching their children to be Christian and learned in God's word. I documented this. What's really sad is, the priests have failed in their capacity to nourish their flocks. Some churches won't teach revelation or old testament. Or give you one or two verses. Then talk for hour about irrelevant things. These hirelings don't feed meat of God's word to their flocks. I'm not knocking churches down. Zephniah chapter 3, the priests have polluted the sanctuary. Malachi chapter 3, the lips of the priests are to have knowledge. Some shepherds have failed in their capacity to nourish their congregations. James chapter 3, those who are teachers of God's word, will be strictly by God. The parents at a lesser degree. Its about accountability.

Thank you all. I really appreciate that so many people have taken time to respond to my messages. I’m sorry I’ve only just responded, I have a very busy life - I am a Mother, a student and I work too. My hubby and I have started attending a church locally, it’s an Anglo-Catholic one. We’ve been made to feel very welcome there and it seems quite popular, people of all ages. As I was baptised in an Anglican Church, got married in one and both of my sons were baptised in one, I feel like I should stick with this denomination. We have both enjoyed the services and my little boy has enjoyed going to the Sunday school there. We have particularly enjoyed Easter and learned a lot.

I have also been reading the bible and I guess the more I learn, the more everything makes sense.

Praying for you. As really just remember lean on the Lord. As He is the one true way. And that your husband and sons and you will always make the right decision as long as God is front and center in you all's hearts and souls. Welcome to the forum. As hope you enjoy your stay on here.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back