Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

No more TV

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I agree with Louis... I love TV too. My favorite channels are CNN, History, Discovery and National Geographic ;)

Free said:
If curling was full contact, that would rock (pun intended, hehe). But seriously, it needs to be more exciting.

A "sport" where guys have a broom. :screwloose :biglaugh

I listened to Chip Ingram today, his program along with this thread has inspired me to go on a 3 day media fast followed by a 10 day media fast later on. :crazy

Dude named Louis said:
ronniechoate34 said:
I gave up tee-vee and films years ago. It was a major source of pleasure in my life to watch tee-vee but on the flip side I knew full well the carnality of it. The sin was pleasurable but the price for it was ungodly so I gave it up.

I do find myself in my daughter's room watching spongebob from time to time. I doubt if I could stomach much else

Spongebob is cool. I like plankton.
Plankton%2011.jpg
I am a serious Sponge Bob watcher, and I kid you not, I really get into that show, as well as iCarley , Zach & Cody :yes

My wife and I just cut out DirectTV. They had some good programming but it was getting to be more and more infomercials and fluff. Even on the family package.

Not like we watch a ton but I'm thinking productivity will boost 2x.

I heard this quote - "TV is the great hypnotist with the internet here to finish us off."

We've done the 30 day caffeine thing before and you'd be amazed at how well you sleep!

Here's to another social experiment!

TV is neither good nor bad, it is neutral. Books, newspapers, magazines, radio, Internet, people all can be shaping influences. To single out television is ridulous. You folks are posting on the Internet, you should give that up as well. :biggrin

I haven't had a TV for five years but not for any holy reason- I am autistic and find it hard to concentrate when both visual and auditory information is on at the same time. So I read the news on the internet. My computer is muted for sound.

I received a gift of a 19-inch TV in 1987. I moved away and put the TV in storage, where it stood until 1998, when I moved to where I am now. I don't think I have watched TV since then. I have a VCR hooked up to it, and all I have watched is movies. When that converter box thingy came out last year, I did not buy one.
I don't miss TV at all. I'm a reader, so I am occupied all the time with my reading and not wasting time in front of the boob tube.
I remember going to my Mom in the early 90's every Sunday afternoon just to watch 'Eastenders.' I felt I was becoming addicted to it, so I stopped.

OK, so last Wednesday I boxed up the DISH TV receiver and remotes and thinngymabobs and sent them back. Since we don't have any converter boxes, and our VCR bit the dust a while back, we have only our collection of DVD's. I think I said before, we had a good deal on satilite before and just don't want to pay the money for it now.

The thing is, this past weekend was our anniversary and hubby and I had planned a romantic getaway to my in-law's little house in town. Nothing special, just some time alone. Well, our "romantic getaway" went south as I started heaving and it took a trip to the Emergency Room and being hooked up to IV's to get me to stop. I finally made it home on Monday, but I feel like I've been set upon by 300lb gorillas wielding baseball bats. I'm weak as a wet noodle and have absolutely NO desire to do anything but lay on the couch and watch TV.

Only we don't have TV. We have some DVD's, all of which I've watched more than once. I've sat at the old PC and played a few on-line games and even managed a snarky comment about whether or not we went to the moon and shared a couple of anecdotes about the kids, but sitting up really isn't all that much fun yet. This afternoon is a little better, but to tell the truth, I'd rather be laying on my comfy couch, with my pillow and blankie and Bill O'Reilly to look forward to in about 20 minutes. :verysad
I REALLY miss TV.

And, we're missing the Olympics.

I REALLY MISS TV.

I'm sorry to hear that handy, I hope you feel much better soon.

Maybe someone can rent some movies for you?

Awww, thanks guys. I am feeling better.

We talked it over last night. We're going to get a converter box and borrow my in-law's antenna. I really want at least some kind of TV that will carry the day's news and have a least a choice of some shows.

My husband and I made the decision to have our cable TV turned off at the beginning of February. We were paying too much for cable, and discovered that we spent way too tmuch time "vegetating" in front of the TV Of course, there are some shows I miss. I really enjoyed the gardening shows on HGTV. That's the channel I watched the most. But, since we stopped the TV, I find myself going to bed earlier and getting a lot more sleep. And, we have lots of DVD's and even left-over videos that we can watch if we want to.

But, I find that I'm spending a lot more time in Bible study and reading good books. And I really enjoy listening to music. We have a large collection of the Bill Gaither videos and I really enjoy putting them in while I do housework and stuff.

We have a debt that we're trying to get paid off, and I send the amount of the cable bill to that debt each month. It will help us pay it off much sooner.

God Bless.

Free said:
Cartoons? lol! How old are you again? ;)

We never grow too old for cartoons!

When we had TV, I watched The Flintstones often the Cartoon Channel. Takes me back to when I was a kid, watching them on Friday nights. And the Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote are timeless classics.

God Bless.

Back