Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

No more TV

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I was reading this article today:

Think small steps. "Don't think in terms of all or nothing -- think in terms of a little bit here and there, actually getting creative work done," she says, whether it means waking up 30 minutes earlier or disconnecting the cable. "Know that you are living your priorities, and if you like watching TV every night and don't have time to do other things, there's nothing wrong with that. Just acknowledge that those are your priorities."

And it got me thinking that TV is not a priority for me nor do I have any interest in making it a priority but I still end up watching way more than I should and I end up putting stuff off that should be priorities. Reading to my daughter, the gym, making a real good dinner, reading...simple things that I enjoy a lot more than sitting there, vegging out to some show that really isn't going to make an impact in my life.

Has anyone gotten rid of their TV? I actually don't have cable or anything...I'm a cheap, simpleton and find all that too expensive so I stick to basic TV. NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS. Now that I think about it, I would miss PBS...I love Masterpiece Theater...and all the cooking shows...would I die without them? No but I definitely like a lot of the things I learn about.

I personally don't own a TV and don't want one. 99% of what's on ain't worth watching anyways. And the 1% that is, well it don't hurt me not to see it. Gives me more time to study. Amen?

We had a really sweet deal where we were getting satellite (really good satellite) for only $10.00 per month. While we had all these supposedly great satellite stations, I found that I was watching mainly Fox News during the daytime and the kids were watching way too much of the Disney shows (Hannah Montana and Sweet Life). So, we decided when the satellite deal was finished we would get rid of the TV.

The satellite deal is now finished. There is no way we'll be able to put up an antenna and get the whole converter box thing going until the snow melts in Spring. So, we are without TV except for DVD's.

This Spring, we'll decide if we even want the antenna. We get our news from the Internet and if I really feel like I want to watch something like when I'm doing laundry, I can always pop in a movie. I'm thinking we won't want it until next fall when the Broncos start playing football again.

Timothy and I don't have cable or satellite, nor do we have the public channels. The only thing we use the tv for is some video games and Netflix movies. We don't miss it at all, and if given the opportunity we wouldn't get it.

I find myself watching way too much TV and allowing my kids to do the same..along with all the video games they play.

I really need to put a plan into action to stop all of this.

I don't watch much tv. No time actually. If there is something I really want to see, I buy the box set when it comes out, and a friend of mine has suggested Net flix. Thanks to the internet, 24 hr. news stations are kind of pointless.

Thanks for all the input. TV is not a necessity, I do know that in my head but I guess it's a comfort thing. If I'm bored, I can watch TV. I have the internet as well but I guess I don't use it to it's full potential. The thing is, I don't want to be bored. I want to be out and about being productive doing positive things for my daughter and myself. Getting grocery shopping done. Doing the dishes on time. Those sorts of simple things. TV keeps me from simple things that need to be done.

My wife and I started out without a TV and enjoyed it. We got a lot of reading done. However, we finally caved after a few years when the landlord at the time left her TV there because she didn't need it. We have since bought our own and now I watch way too much.

Having said that, there is something to be said about knowing what is going on the world, paying attention to what is being said and being aware of cultural shifts. These are necessary things for Christians to know so that we can properly address issues. In fact, much of what goes on in society today could have been stemmed or lessened had the Church done it's due diligence, as Francis Schaeffer points out (he was very accurate in the way he saw the world going due, in large part, to the Church's negligence).

As well, there are some shows that are just plain entertaining, educational and informative (Cities of the Underworld, for example). I think that like most things, there just needs to be a balance.

Having said all that, there is nothing wrong if someone feels that they shouldn't watch any TV at all.

I LOVE television. I watch news, movies, sports, cultural shows. Music programs, cooking shows, worship and theological programs.

There, I said it.

Oh, and I forgot: CARTOONS!

Like I said, I don't think all TV is horrible. In fact, I'm watching the Olympics every night and I love it! But it's definitely an issue when I rather sit there and not miss a moment of something rather than go and wash the dishes...

LaMexicana said:
Like I said, I don't think all TV is horrible. In fact, I'm watching the Olympics every night and I love it! But it's definitely an issue when I rather sit there and not miss a moment of something rather than go and wash the dishes...

Oh, I love watching the Olympics! Such fun, I even watch curling!
curling.jpg

I do not understand how curling is a sport or how it made the olympics............. :screwloose

I gave up tee-vee and films years ago. It was a major source of pleasure in my life to watch tee-vee but on the flip side I knew full well the carnality of it. The sin was pleasurable but the price for it was ungodly so I gave it up.

I do find myself in my daughter's room watching spongebob from time to time. I doubt if I could stomach much else

ronniechoate34 said:
I gave up tee-vee and films years ago. It was a major source of pleasure in my life to watch tee-vee but on the flip side I knew full well the carnality of it. The sin was pleasurable but the price for it was ungodly so I gave it up.

I do find myself in my daughter's room watching spongebob from time to time. I doubt if I could stomach much else

Spongebob is cool. I like plankton.
Plankton%2011.jpg

Curling...eh not so much. I wonder what kind of workouts you need to do in order to compete in curling...

Spongebob...use to watch it in high school...now I find it a little too strange for my taste. Funny at times...but quite disturbing.

If curling was full contact, that would rock (pun intended, hehe). But seriously, it needs to be more exciting.

Back