Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Objections to God's Sovereignty Answered..........Some

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Skandelon said:
Good question, you tell me. Did God decide that all men would be born totally depraved as a result of the fall, or was that beyond his control?
The clear warning......dying though shalt surely die was given.Looks like God meant it.

If I clearly warn you if you put your hand in a furnace it will be burned to a crisp.....you do it and get burned to a crisp....do you blame me?
The fire? The maker of the furnace?......or yourself?
#23Iconoclast, Jan 14, 2014

Skandelon said:
Actually some determinists do believe God determined Adam's choice to sin in the same manner he determined your choice to come to Christ...in the same 'compatibilistic manner' (i.e. acting in accordance with ones desire, yet that desire is determine ultimately by God who creates/controls the nature).
My mistake, I was referring to those involved in this discussion on this thread. I should have said "nobody in this discussion." I am well aware that there are some who claim God is the author of sin.

Skandelon said:
And, unless you maintain that God is not sovereignly in control over the results of the fall, then He ultimately is the one who put the ear plugs in their ears of all who came after the fall.
You have yet to respond to the reasons I have offered to prove this line of reasoning is false. God did not design His righteous nature because God IS righteous. God did not design light because He IS light. God did not design LIFE because He IS life. Unrighteousness IS the absence of righteousness and darkness IS the absence of light and death IS the absence of life. God cannot design another God equal to Himself and therefore by necessity all beings created are DEPENDENT upon union with God for life.

God did not design sin but did give permission for the entrance of sin by designing free responsible choice in Adam. Sin is the necessary consequence of choosing contrary to God's revealed will.
#31The Biblicist, Jan 15, 2014
Skandelon said:
You are equating sin with the consequences of sin, as if God has no control over whether or not mankind is enabled to respond to His revelation or not.
You are evading my response. I stated that the absence of life is death (which is inclusive of all of its meaning; spiritual, physical, eternal separation from God) while sin is merely the mechanism that breaks dependency upon/union with God who IS life.
#33The Biblicist, Jan 15, 2014

Skandelon said:
Clearly, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit comes 'when you hear the gospel...having believed.' So, one moves from being 'in the flesh' to being 'in the Spirit,' by hearing the gospel and believing it.
That is not the issue. Just as it is not the issue whether the gospel is the power of God to salvation. The issue is what is it that hears and what does it mean to "hear"? Deuteronomy 5:29 and 29:4 clearly teach that this ability comes WITH the new heart rather than any ability prior to that new heart. We believe to "hear" includes obedience to the gospel rather than merely audible sounds. Neither is this an issue of CHRONOLOGICAL order as I believe new birth and gospel faith are simeltaneous with only a logical order. The grammar in 1 John 5:1 supports this view with the state of being present tense "is" with the perfect tense verb "born" and present tense participle "believeth."

So it is not a Chronological order (1) hearing; (2) gospel conversion; (3) indwelling Spirit but rather WHEN the Spirit of God gives the new heart that IS the Holy Spirit giving a "hearing" ear or heart obedience to the gospel which accompanies the presence of the Holy Spirit. Hence, there is no such thing as an unregenerated believer OR a regenerated unbeliever. This is also supported by the Greek grammar in Ephesians 1:13 as the words "after" are not found in the Greek text but rather this may be translated "when".
#16The Biblicist, Jan 7, 2014

Skandelon said:
EXACTLY! Judicial hardened (from God) is merely his blinding them from the clearly revealed truth for a time. This is comparable to a police officer hiding his presence so that the speeder will continue speeding. The cop is not making the speeder speed, he is only ensuring that his presence doesn't deter him from doing what he already wants to do.

Israel was rebellious despite God 'holding out his hands to them all day long' (Rm 10:21). So, for God to temporarily hide the truth of Christ's identity to accomplish the Passover is perfectly just, because that is all He is doing. They can still be saved even after being hardened...that is something Calvinists can't seem to understand.
Hardening is the consequence of the NATURAL HEART which has no ability "to percieve, and eyes to see, and ears to hear" (Deut. 5:29; 29:4). Pharoah was a natural born human in possession of a fallen heart. No amount of exposure to light (truth, the word, the gospel) will enable this kind of heart to respond appropriately. If it could respond appropriately there would be no need for a NEW heart. The only kind of response possible for the natural heart is hardening. The more light it is exposed to the more it will harden. The natural heart can RECOGNIZE light and can REACT to light in one way only - hardening as the natural man "will not" come to the light. Thus the light does not provide enablement but exposes the condition of the old heart and brings only condemnation.
#50The Biblicist, Dec 10, 2013

Skandelon said:
I'm not letting you get away with making blanket declarations without BIBLICAL support.
My new thread of Deuteronomy 5:29 provides the Bibical support you declare I am without. If you can point out any of the numerically listed reasons I gave in that thread which deal with both the context and texts - please do.

Skandelon said:
I've shown you specific texts which CLEARLY teach that hardening is something men BECOME after years of rebellion.
However, that is not the real issue as I believe that hardening is a process over extended periods of time. You and I both agree that those being hardened are without the new heart/nature and still unregenerated and thus a response of the fallen nature. Your problem is that the scriptures clearly and explicitly and repeatedly teach that SPIRITUAL perception, ability to see spiritually and hear spiritually is not the product of the old heart/fallen nature whether it exists in the lost or saved man but that ability is the product of the new heart (Ezek. 36;27; Deut. 29:4; 1 Cor. 2:14; Rom. 8:7-8).

Hence, we must both agree that the fallen nature is the only possible source of hardening as the lost man does not possess a new heart. Hence, this hardening is simply the consequence of the fallen natures exposure to light (Jn. 3:19-20; Rom. 8:7; 1 Cor. 2:14).

Therefore, we are not talking about SPIRITUAL ability but NATURAL ability or the functional process of the fallen conscience to exposure to light. The conscience can recognize light but that does not mean it has ability to respond favorably to what it recognizes. Indeed, Deut. 29:4 denies that possibility as that potential comes only with the new heart just as Ezek. 36:27declares.

Skandelon said:
You are PRESUMING onto the text that all people would necessarily rebel against any level of divine revelation (even the powerful gospel appeal) and become hardened. Where does the text say this?
Deut. 5:29 with 29:4; Ezek 36:26 with Ezek 36:27; 1 Cor. 2:14 with Romans 8:7. Romans 3:10-12; etc.

Skandelon said:
Give a specific text which teaches that God's work in fulfilling the demands of the law through Christ and the cross, inspiring apostles to discern these mysteries for us in the scriptures, indwelling messengers to proclaim these truths in languages we can understand, and the commissioning of his Bride, the church, to spread this life giving truth throughout the world to all creation is just not enough...
The very nature of your question presumes the very thing you are trying to prove and demanding that I prove when you say "life giving truth." Only the Spirit of God communicates spiritual life and it is obvious that is not accomplished every time the gospel is preached (2 Cor. 2:14-15) but only accomplished in regard to the elect (1 Thes. 1:4-5).

Skandelon said:
Paul clearly taught, "...otherwise they might see, hear, understand and turn and I would heal them."
Meaning, if the described condition were not true. But it is true and it is always true as the fallen nature responds only one way.
#52The Biblicist, Dec 10, 2013

The Biblicist said:
My new thread of Deuteronomy 5:29 provides the Bibical support you declare I am without. If you can point out any of the numerically listed reasons I gave in that thread which deal with both the context and texts - please do.

However, that is not the real issue as I believe that hardening is a process over extended periods of time. You and I both agree that those being hardened are without the new heart/nature and still unregenerated and thus a response of the fallen nature. Your problem is that the scriptures clearly and explicitly and repeatedly teach that SPIRITUAL perception, ability to see spiritually and hear spiritually is not the product of the old heart/fallen nature whether it exists in the lost or saved man but that ability is the product of the new heart (Ezek. 36;27; Deut. 29:4; 1 Cor. 2:14; Rom. 8:7-8).

Hence, we must both agree that the fallen nature is the only possible source of hardening as the lost man does not possess a new heart. Hence, this hardening is simply the consequence of the fallen natures exposure to light (Jn. 3:19-20; Rom. 8:7; 1 Cor. 2:14).

Therefore, we are not talking about SPIRITUAL ability but NATURAL ability or the functional process of the fallen conscience to exposure to light. The conscience can recognize light but that does not mean it has ability to respond favorably to what it recognizes. Indeed, Deut. 29:4 denies that possibility as that potential comes only with the new heart just as Ezek. 36:27declares.

Deut. 5:29 with 29:4; Ezek 36:26 with Ezek 36:27; 1 Cor. 2:14 with Romans 8:7. Romans 3:10-12; etc.

The very nature of your question presumes the very thing you are trying to prove and demanding that I prove when you say "life giving truth." Only the Spirit of God communicates spiritual life and it is obvious that is not accomplished every time the gospel is preached (2 Cor. 2:14-15) but only accomplished in regard to the elect (1 Thes. 1:4-5).

Meaning, if the described condition were not true. But it is true and it is always true as the fallen nature responds only one way.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Skan, can you or any of those who defend your position claim the above verses are descriptive of the new regenerative nature??? I do not believe you would attempt to defend that idea.

Now, the only other state or condition possible is the unregenerated nature. Please note the explanatory verse 8 claims this is characteristics of those "in the flesh" and why they "cannot please God." Note, he did not say this is characterized of SOME or a PARTICULAR CLASS of lost men but those "in the flesh" which is used in contrast to those "in the Spirit" (Rom. 8:9).

Your position is a simple denial of what Paul says the fallen nature "IS" as a STATE or CONDITION (the double "is" are STATE OF BEING verbs).

Your position requres a THIRD kind of man who is neither "in the flesh" or "in the Spirit" which "IS" not being described in Romans 8:7-8. No such man exists.
#53The Biblicist, Dec 10, 2013

This small sample shows how easily Skandelon [aka, Leighton Flowers}was handled by every Cal on the site. There were several more who easily and scripturally refuted him.

God is sovereign only within his just holy nature. God is not a sinner, nor can he be unrighteous.
An Omnipresent God is The Absolute Sovereign of the Universe.

Psalm 139

King James Version

139 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139​

King James Version​

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
God did not create robots. God created man with a free will. Everyone has the ability to make choices. Adam by his own free will chose to sin against God. He did not lose his free will in the fall. Where does it say that he did? You rob God of his glory when you say that he did not create man with a free will. You believe terrible things about God and his Son Jesus Christ. It is not going to go well for you in the judgment.

God did not create robots.
Of course not. He created man as an image-bearer, who was upright and very good.
God created man with a free will.
Men have self-will. Originally man had an original righteousness that was untested. Some suggest he was in a covenant of works.
Everyone has the ability to make choices.
Yes by all means. We are free moral agents, we make choices every day. Sin and death leave us spiritually dead and bound in sin, alienated from the life of God. These words have meaning, Robert.
Adam by his own free will chose to sin against God.
He did sin and rebel. He lost original righteousness, breaking the original arrangement with God. He fell into sin and death as our representative men. We all are born dead in Adam.
He did not lose his free will in the fall.
He lost the ability to commune with God. Sin caused a seperation
Where does it say that he did?
The bible never says man had free will. Not one verse! The teaching of it is not found inscripture. Free will is a philosophical idea, from unsaved carnal thinkers who do not submit to God, that is why biblical persons reject this anti Christ idea that calls upon bound men to think they can bring themselves to life or God does His part, then we do our part! Jonah said it right...salvation is of the Lord.
You rob God of his glory when you say that he did not create man with a free will.
Not at all and let me explain why . man was originally made an image bearer of God, the fall broke that image.
When we are saved and glorified that true Image is restored to the highest height IN JESUS; look carefully

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy:
and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
Robert...I know you want to oppose this idea of reformed truth, but reformed truth is derived from the scriptures.
What does God say gets restored and in fact improved? man as Image -bearer, or a mythical free will? Read this passage 20x in a row....physical, then spiritual, temporal, then eternal, earthy, then heavenly...do you see it?

You believe terrible things about God and his Son Jesus Christ.
I believe what is written, with understanding.
It is not going to go well for you in the judgment.
My sins have already been judged at the cross and paid in full by my Lord and Saviour. I will not be found being judged at the white throne, that is a lie of Satan...
I have these promises; rom8

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited:
Hello Tenchi
I am more than well aware of Leighton. I interacted with him for over 4 years.
He is a nice guy. I knew him before he started his 101.
I know what he does, inside out. I literally posted with him for almost 4 years in a row .
I know all about his "response"- able"...his choice meats, etc.
I encouraged him when he was supposed to debate Dr.James White, on Romans 9.
He showed up physically but was quickly exposed as he could not exegete the passage.
What he did was a disgrace, I will post it for you.

Y'know, when I watched the debate between Leighton and James, it didn't seem to me that Leighton was "disgraced" in the least. In any case, I didn't post the link for you but for those looking for a more rational and biblical soteriological alternative to Reformed doctrine.

Dr. White corrects his errors on the Alpha and Omega Dividing Line podcast.
enjoy;

I'm familiar with James's podcast. They're...difficult to watch. Mainly because James seems oblivious to the myriad logical fallacies he employs and because he adopts such an ugly, condescending attitude toward Leighton. When I watch James's podcasts, I'm reminded of Paul's words:

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 (NASB)
1 ...Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.
2 If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know;

I do not doubt he believes he was a Calvinist, however when we would go back and forth with several other people...he said things that NO Calvinist would ever say.
he went by the handle...Skandelon from 2011- 2015

This sounds an awful lot like the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Regardless, even if Leighton was not properly a Calvinist "way back when," he takes pains now to address Reformed doctrines as they are laid out by present and past prominent proponents (how's that for alliteration!) of the systematic. Leighton doesn't rely on a former, personal conception of Calvinism in framing his arguments, but offers quotations from books and clips of podcasts and sermons from the likes of Sproul, Piper, MacArthur, Baucham, Durbin, Chandler, and, many times, Calvin himself. In light of this, the "he was never truly a Calvinist" objection to Leighton seems pretty vaporous, to me.

Some objections are about the doctrine itself.

For some people the doctrine itself is different than anything they have heard in this world, or in school, or Tv news and talk shows.
7._____ The doctrine of the high mystery of predestination is to be handled with special prudence and care, that men attending the will of God revealed in his Word, and yielding obedience thereunto, may, from the certainty of their effectual vocation,
be assured of their eternal election; so shall this doctrine afford matter of praise, reverence, and admiration of God,
and of humility, diligence, and abundant consolation to all that sincerely obey the gospel.

( 1 Thessalonians 1:4, 5; 2 Peter 1:10; Ephesians 1:6; Romans 11:33; Romans 11:5, 6, 20; Luke 10:20 )

Y'know, when I watched the debate between Leighton and James, it didn't seem to me that Leighton was "disgraced" in the least. In any case, I didn't post the link for you but for those looking for a more rational and biblical soteriological alternative to Reformed doctrine.
what i mean by disgraced is that he did not do any exegesis at all.
He attempted to "lecture" Dr. White on his personal philosophy of how he{Leighton} views the world.
in doing this he disgraced himself as an academic failing to face the text.
I'm familiar with James's podcast. They're...difficult to watch. Mainly because James seems oblivious to the myriad logical fallacies he employs and because he adopts such an ugly, condescending attitude toward Leighton. When I watch James's podcasts,
My friend, you are free to call the dividing line and speak directly to these concerns. You can offer correction to Dr.White who does not shy back from being open to critics in the public forum. Do you understand that critics pop up from everywhere,and have made vile personal attacks against Dr,White and his family?
I am not saying you are doing such things, but you are free to engage Dr, White openly, live on the phone, or if really concerned...face to face. He makes known his scheduled speaking and preaching times and locations.
Dr.White is a friend of mine. I have seen him preach and debate several times, at my former church,other local churches, and debates.
I have seen several approach him with sincere questions.he did not bite their head off, but was very grace filled in offering biblical responses. Most people are satisfied with his biblical answers.

I'm reminded of Paul's words:

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 (NASB)
1 ...Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.
2 If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know;
Knowledge can do that. But a solid biblical confidence can come across that way, to the person who is being corrected by truth. They feel over run as they try and hold on to error as truth comes in like a flood.
Dr. White does not need me or anyone else to defend himself. I just offer this as a firsthand eyewitness.
Dr. White has a sense of humor and is kind to people. When in a debate setting with people who are adversarial he still exhibits grace, but is quite firm against error.

This sounds an awful lot like the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Regardless, even if Leighton was not properly a Calvinist "way back when," he takes pains now to address Reformed doctrines as they are laid out by present and past prominent proponents (how's that for alliteration!) of the systematic. Leighton doesn't rely on a former, personal conception of Calvinism in framing his arguments, but offers quotations from books and clips of podcasts and sermons from the likes of Sproul, Piper, MacArthur, Baucham, Durbin, Chandler, and, many times, Calvin himself. In light of this, the "he was never truly a Calvinist" objection to Leighton seems pretty vaporous, to me.
What he actually does the majority of the time, is take out-of-context quotes, and attempt to pit one against the others. A target is often John Piper who while a good man is not the best in explaining some of the truths.
When he does his flawed podcast no one is there to correct this. DR.White will give Leightons the whole quote then give correction from the greek text, or facts from church history.

Probably this is a case of the OP poster personally deciding how “sovereignty” is defined and anyone with a different definition just doesn’t believe God is sovereign at all. Seems to be the case.

I’ve read similar in how some have decided God has to behave. If He actually doesn’t do as they’ve dictated he must, He just isn’t God at all. They are the Master and He must perform as required.

The alternative, of course, is to let God define how He sees himself and his sovereignty.

Last edited:
what i mean by disgraced is that he did not do any exegesis at all.
He attempted to "lecture" Dr. White on his personal philosophy of how he{Leighton} views the world.
in doing this he disgraced himself as an academic failing to face the text.

This is a great example of how bias blinds. From my perspective, I saw Leighton refusing to debate on James's terms. That's an important debate strategy, in my opinion. Though it's been awhile since I watched the debate, I don't recall Leighton refusing to do any exegesis at all. I'll have to take a look at the debate again and see if what you've asserted is actually so.

My friend, you are free to call the dividing line and speak directly to these concerns. You can offer correction to Dr.White who does not shy back from being open to critics in the public forum.

I've watched enough of James' podcasts and online exchanges with folks to be...extremely disinterested in talking with him about anything. I don't know why you are unable to see it, but James comes off as very pedantic and patronizing, a combination toxic to positive dialogue, as he has demonstrated again and again.

Do you understand that critics pop up from everywhere,and have made vile personal attacks against Dr,White and his family?

And? Is this supposed to justify James' ugly behavior?

I am not saying you are doing such things, but you are free to engage Dr, White openly, live on the phone, or if really concerned...face to face. He makes known his scheduled speaking and preaching times and locations.

But others have done so many times. Leighton has, again and again; but James responds with consistent and astonishing hubris, ad hominem, poisoning-the-well and Strawman argumentation, and so on. In light of this, why would I want to have my own, personal experience of such things with James? He appears to scorn all criticism, though it confronts him from many witnesses. I'm not eager to rebuke such a man and get to myself dishonor (Proverbs 9:7).

I have seen several approach him with sincere questions.he did not bite their head off, but was very grace filled in offering biblical responses. Most people are satisfied with his biblical answers.

Leighton isn't satisfied. And James appears to hate that this is so. You can tell by the sour manner in which he responds to Leighton's challenges to him.

Knowledge can do that. But a solid biblical confidence can come across that way, to the person who is being corrected by truth. They feel over run as they try and hold on to error as truth comes in like a flood.

Biblical confidence divorced from a Spirit-controlled heart and mind inevitably produces "puffiness." James is enormously confident in his knowledge of the Bible, but I see little that indicates that he's under the control of the Spirit of Christ. If he were, his "biblical confidence" would conform to the description of the servant of the Lord that Paul gave to Timothy (2 Timothy 2:24-25). But I don't see such conformity in how James interacts with Leighton. Instead, there's just a whole lot of ugly "puffiness."

What he actually does the majority of the time, is take out-of-context quotes, and attempt to pit one against the others. A target is often John Piper who while a good man is not the best in explaining some of the truths.
When he does his flawed podcast no one is there to correct this. DR.White will give Leightons the whole quote then give correction from the greek text, or facts from church history.

This is a great example of the incredible distortion that bias creates and how vital it is that God is in the mix overcoming such biases and leading us to His truth. When I read what you wrote here, I realized the depth of your investment in Reformed doctrine and the impossibility of any adjustment to your resulting severe bias (save by the work of God).

In actuality, Leighton does not commonly quote Reformed theologians in an out-of-context way but has sometimes read through pages of what they've written, or has played ten, or fifteen, minutes (or more) of their spoken remarks in order to establish the full context of what they've communicated. I've also seen him repeatedly, on his podcasts, go back-and-forth with scholarly Calvinists, giving them plenty of opportunity to fully express their views. It can only be the distortion of a deep bias, then, that could prompt you to describe Leighton in the false manner you did above. What does such readiness to contort the facts in service to your views suggest about the productiveness of discussion with you? Nothing good, I think.

CHS....had so much wisdom, I have all of his sermons. When I was a young Christian I had a pastor advise me if I was ever going to read outside my bible, to read Spurgeon because he as totally Christ centered.
He was right!
Agreed, his writing are inspiring and glorify the Lord.

Hello Tenchi
I am more than well aware of Leighton. I interacted with him for over 4 years.
He is a nice guy. I knew him before he started his 101.
I know what he does, inside out. I literally posted with him for almost 4 years in a row .
I know all about his "response"- able"...his choice meats, etc.
I encouraged him when he was supposed to debate Dr.James White, on Romans 9.
He showed up physically but was quickly exposed as he could not exegete the passage.
What he did was a disgrace, I will post it for you.
Dr. White corrects his errors on the Alpha and Omega Dividing Line podcast.
enjoy;
I do not doubt he believes he was a Calvinist, however when we would go back and forth with several other people...he said things that NO Calvinist would ever say.
he went by the handle...Skandelon from 2011- 2015
Dr White is an excellent Apologist.

For anyone interested ...

https://www.aomin.org/aoblog/

Grace and peace to you.

Psalm 139​

King James Version​

Psalm 139:1–24

This intensely personal Davidic psalm expresses the psalmist’s awe that God knew him, even to the minutest detail. David might have remembered the Lord’s words, “ … the Lord looks at the heart” (1 Sam. 16:7). The exact occasion is unknown.

I. God’s Omniscience (139:1–6)

II. God’s Omnipresence (139:7–12)

III. God’s Omnipotence (139:13–18)

IV. David’s Obeisance (139:19–24)

139:1–6 God knows everything about David.

139:1 searched me. As it has been in David’s life, he prays later that it will continue to be (cf. vv. 23, 24). David understands that nothing inside of him can be hidden from God.

139:5 hedged me. God used circumstances to limit David’s actions.

139:6 too wonderful. Cf. Ps. 131:1; Rom. 11:33–36.

139:7–12 God was always watching over David and thus it was impossible to do anything over which God is not a spectator.

139:7 Your Spirit. A reference to the Holy Spirit (cf. Pss. 51:11; 143:10). See “The Anointing of the Holy Spirit in the OT” at Ps. 51.

139:9 the wings of the morning. In conjunction with “the uttermost parts of the sea,” David uses this literary figure to express distance.

139:13–18 God’s power is magnified in the development of human life before birth.

139:13 formed … covered. By virtue of the divinely designed period of pregnancy, God providentially watches over the development of the child while yet in the mother’s womb.

139:15 secret … lowest parts. Used figuratively of the womb.

139:16 Your book. This figure of speech likens God’s mind to a book of remembrance. none of them. God sovereignly ordained David’s life before he was conceived.

139:17, 18 David expresses his amazement at the infinite mind of God compared to the limited mind of man, especially as it relates to the physiology of human life (cf. vv. 13–16).

139:22 perfect hatred. David has no other response to God’s enemies than that of hatred, i.e., he is not neutral towards them nor will he ever ally himself with them.

139:23, 24 In light of vv. 19–22, David invites God to continue searching his heart to root out any unrighteousness, even when it is expressed against God’s enemies.

139:24 the way everlasting. David expresses his desire/expectation of eternal life

Probably this is a case of the OP poster personally deciding how “sovereignty” is defined and anyone with a different definition just doesn’t believe God is sovereign at all. Seems to be the case.

I’ve read similar in how some have decided God has to behave. If He actually doesn’t do as they’ve dictated he must, He just isn’t God at all. They are the Master and He must perform as required.

The alternative, of course, is to let God define how He sees himself and his sovereignty.
God has indeed defined this for us, so your objection holds no water.
Isa46.:9-11...psalm115 Dan4:35 do very well.
I think such an objection seeks to water down the God revealed in all of Scripture.
Those who struggle with grace water down the meanings.Hopefully that was not your intent.

Many objections to the absoluteness of God's sovereignty over life and salvation have arisen and spread over several threads.

Solid answers must be offered to stem the tide of sub-biblical thought being addressed.

Some objections are about the doctrine itself.

Some who have failed to make headway with the doctrine,attack the Reformed people.

Some obscure clear bible verses.

Some offer emotional rather than biblical answers.

Some have been poorly instructed.

Some have not received instruction,

Some have rejected the instruction.

Some object to the means of grace.

Some believe they need no teaching.

Some God has not allowed to welcome truth yet.

Some will never welcome truth at all.They will be religious but fatally flawed.

We will seek to investigate all of these.
I can't say how others view sovereignty of YHWH God but in the Hebrew Scriptures the word Adhonai appears frequently, and the expression ʼAdhonai Yehwih 285 times. Adhonai is a plural form of adhohn, meaning “lord; master.” The plural form adhonim may be applied to men in simple plurality, as “lords,” or “masters.” But the term Adhonai without an additional suffix is always used in the scriptures with reference to the True God YHWH, the plural being employed to denote excellence or majesty. It is most frequently rendered “Lord” by most translators. When it appears with the name of God (Adhonai Yehwih), as, for example, at Psalm 73:28, the expression is translated “Lord GOD” (AT, KJ, RS); “Lord God” (Dy [72:28]); “Lord, my Master” (Kx [72:28]); “Lord Jehovah” (Yg); “Sovereign Lord Jehovah” (NW).

The Greek word despotes means one who possesses supreme authority, or absolute ownership and uncontrolled power. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, 1981, Vol. 3, pp. 18, 46) It is translated “lord,” “master,” “owner,” and when used in direct address to God is rendered “Lord” (KJ, Yg, and others), “Ruler of all” (Kx), “Sovereign Lord” (NW), at Luke 2:29, Acts 4:24, and Revelation 6:10. In the last text, Knox, The New English Bible, Moffatt, and the Revised Standard Version read “Sovereign Lord”; Young’s translation and the Kingdom Interlinear read “master.”

So, while the Hebrew and Greek texts do not have a separate qualifying word for “sovereign,” the flavor is contained in the words Adhonai and despotes when they are used in the scriptures as applying to YHWH God, the qualification denoting the excellence of his lordship.

YHWH God is the Sovereign of the universe by reason of his Creatorship, his Godship, and his supremacy as the Almighty. (Genesis 17:1; Exodus 6:3; Revelation 16:14) He is the Owner of all things and the Source of all authority and power, the Supreme Ruler in government. (Psalm 24:1; Isaiah 40:21-23; Revelation 4:11; 11:15) The psalmist sang of him: “YHWH himself has firmly established his throne in the very heavens; and over everything his own kingship has held domination.” (Psalm 103:19; 145:13) Jesus’ disciples prayed, addressing God: “Sovereign Lord, you are the One who made the heaven and the earth.” (Acts 4:24) To the nation of Israel, God himself constituted all three branches of government, the judicial, the legislative, and the executive. The prophet Isaiah said: “YHWH is our Judge, YHWH is our Statute-giver, YHWH is our King; he himself will save us.” (Isaiah 33:22) Moses gives a notable description of God as Sovereign at Deuteronomy 10:17.

In his sovereign position YHWH God has the right and authority to delegate ruling responsibilities. David was made king of Israel, and the scriptures speak of ‘the kingdom of David’ as though it was his kingdom. But David acknowledged YHWH God as the great Sovereign Ruler, saying at 1 Chronicles 29:11: “Yours, O YHWH, are the greatness and the mightiness and the beauty and the excellency and the dignity; for everything in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O YHWH, the One also lifting yourself up as head over all.”

Back