Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ok, what's the truth.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Oh and BTW, if you want to see what happens when the government sets unrealistic prices...look no further than Soviet Russia. Or N. Korea. They both, at one time had such governments that felt that they could establish production and pricing.

God bless,
Ted

Hi ezrider
And what truth have you gained regarding the melting glaciers?
Well, I've learned, although I've long suspected it, that this issue that warming temperatures are going to cause 'all' of the ice in the world to melt isn't likely. Yes, a lot of ice will melt. But of all that has so far melted the consensus is that over the last 100 years, the sea has only risen about 6". As far as I know, it would take at least a 1' rise for most coastal areas to see signs of incursion.

Miami and its suburbs are located on a broad plain between the Everglades to the west and Biscayne Bay to the east, which extends from Lake Okeechobee southward to Florida Bay. The elevation of the area averages at around 6 ft (1.8 m) above sea level in most neighborhoods, especially near the coast. From topographicmap.com

I think it's going to be a long time before the sea level gets anywhere near that, if ever. As I say, while some ice may melt in Antarctica, the mean temperature is still waaaaaaay below freezing. So we aren't anywhere near some point where all the ice is going to melt in Antarctica. Even the North Pole temperature rarely if ever, get above freezing. All the ice on the planet is not going to melt!! That's what I believe. Some will, and perhaps there are some countries where a foot increase may make some serious issues, but it isn't here, and if it comes, those places are just going to have to move back away from the coast. There may be some small islands lost, and yes, those people would have to move. But God has never promised any certain sea level.

And of course, neither of us can accurately offer any prediction of what the water level of the oceans will be in 50 years, but I'm pretty confident that this is going to turn out to be 'wolf cry' when we get there.

God bless,
Ted

Hi ezrider

@miamited, Did you have an answer to this question or not?
I'm sorry. When I first read your question, I was asking myself why it mattered. Could you give me some explanation as to why my not being able to tell you how old that David was when Solomon was born, has some bearing on this discussion?

God bless,
Ted

Hi ezrider

I'm sorry. When I first read your question, I was asking myself why it mattered. Could you give me some explanation as to why my not being able to tell you how old that David was when Solomon was born, has some bearing on this discussion?

God bless,
Ted

Because you have a multitude of posts back and forth in this thread with Dorothy Mae where you conclude you can add up all the years to the creation. So, How old was David when Solomon was born?

Because you have a multitude of posts back and forth in this thread with Dorothy Mae where you conclude you can add up all the years to the creation. So, How old was David when Solomon was born?
Are you familiar with history? We don't need an accounting of ages from father to son once we get to the promised land. We have all sorts of historical records that we can go back and account for 'when' the Israelites became a nation. There are even historical records of other nations that account the time once Israel was a nation.

The issue is, and God knows this, that man has no record of time, pretty much prior to the Exodus into Egypt. So, when Moses was given the responsibility to start keeping a written record of all that God has done and would be doing as He worked in and through the nation of Israel, that's when God caused to be written the Pentateuch. And it was in writing the Pentateuch that God told Moses of the genealogies of the first generations. It is the years prior to the Pentateuch where we have no historical accounting of time. God gave it to us.

That's why I couldn't figure out what the ages of David and Solomon had to do with anything. By the time they came on the scene we have loads of extrabiblical accounting of the passing of years. However, God did keep a rough accounting of time even in those days. But that's why I say that the 6,000 figure could be off by a couple of hundred years, because after the exile to Egypt, accounting of years becomes tougher to figure out, but certainly can be figured out.

No, friend, God is wiser than you or I could ever hope to imagine to be, and it was in His directing of Moses to write an accounting of all that He had done, that God puts this little bit of information in there so that future generations would know the truth about the age of the creation.

God bless,
Ted

Hi again ezrider

It's always been my understanding, although this you can't prove from the Scriptures, that it was on that mountain for 40 days that God pretty much dictated the Genesis account. Everything in Genesis, other than gossip and rumor from the Hebrews while captive in Egypt, was an unknown to Moses. Other than scuttlebutt he may have heard in the group in Egypt, Moses didn't know Abraham, or Isaac, or Jacob. There is no way, without God's knowledge, that Moses could have had any idea the words that Abraham spoke to Sarah.

God gave him the truth. Now some of the scuttlebutt may have been true. But when God gave it to Moses to write down for perpetuity, remember Paul said that was the chief reason there even was a Jewish people, He told him of all these people and the things that they had done leading up to the point that Moses went down off that mountain and began writing the history that they were living out.

Now, I do understand that there is a story out there that says that Moses cobbled together the Genesis account from hearsay evidence and some writings, also unprovable, that the Hebrews may have kept up with for all those years in Egypt. Honestly, from what we know in the Scriptures, the Hebrews living in Egypt had no idea that they needed to keep such an accurate historical account. They were a relatively new people group. The generations of the twelve tribes, but that didn't get acknowledged until they were in the wilderness. Scripture seems to infer that the Hebrews in Egypt really didn't do a lot of worshipping of God.

Moses didn't seem to think that the people God was sending him to would even know who He was. He asks, "Who do I say sent me?" So Moses obviously didn't know God by name or anything. I think Moses' entire faith started when he saw that burning bush. There is no accounting of any faith practices, in the Scriptures, while the Hebrews were in Egypt. They were kept separated not because they told everyone that they believed in a different God, but because they raised sheep and the Egyptians hated shepherds and shepherding...according to the Scriptures. The last thing we hear about God among the Hebrews in Egypt, was Joseph's account that he knew God. Now, here it is 400 years later, which BTW is about the age of our nation, do you think all those people had kept up with the knowledge of God? There certainly isn't any mention of it.

God bless,
Ted

The Thwaites shelf is not floating in the ocean; it's supported by the coastline and ice blocks under it, which are on the continental shelf. If the supports continue to decay it will fall into the ocean, and would raise ocean levels by a few feet at most. That would be a disaster for millions of people living on coasts, but the real concern is what happens after that.

Thwaites Glacier is “one of the largest, highest glaciers in Antarctica — it’s huge,” Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the Boulder, Colo.–based Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, told reporters. Spanning 120 kilometers across, the glacier is roughly the size of Florida, and were the whole thing to fall into the ocean, it would raise sea levels by 65 centimeters, or more than two feet. Right now, its melting is responsible for about 4 percent of global sea level rise.

But a large portion of the glacier is about to lose its tenuous grip on the seafloor, and that will dramatically speed up its seaward slide, the researchers said. Since about 2004, the eastern third of Thwaites has been braced by a floating ice shelf, an extension of the glacier that juts out into the sea. Right now, the underbelly of that ice shelf is lodged against an underwater mountain located about 50 kilometers offshore. That pinning point is essentially helping to hold the whole mass of ice in place.

But data collected by researchers beneath and around the shelf in the last two years suggests that brace won’t hold much longer. Warm ocean waters are inexorably eating away at the ice from below (SN: 4/9/21; SN: 9/9/20). As the glacier’s ice shelf loses mass, it’s retreating inland, and will eventually retreat completely behind the underwater mountain pinning it in place. Meanwhile, fractures and crevasses, widened by these waters, are swiftly snaking through the ice like cracks in a car’s windshield, shattering and weakening it.

Once the plug is out, the glacier will then begin dumping ice into the Antarctic Ocean,with a slower increase in sea levels that will amount to maybe several meters by 2100. Much bigger deal . Kiss off most of Florida, for example. China would take a much greater hit with a huge percentage of its people and industry in the areas that would be affected.

Hi Barbarian

Thanks for the input. When it gets to where either of the poles warm up enough to melt all of the ice on the poles, then we'll have a problem. But I'm confident that when the earth's atmosphere gets that warm we won't be around to enjoy it anyway.

I remember someone asking in another thread as to whether the earth contained enough water to actually fulfill the task God assigned it in the flood. Now I can respond to him and tell him that the Thwaites glacier alone has enough water to flood the earth at least 2 meters. Pretty amazing isn't it?

God bless,
Ted

I remember someone asking in another thread as to whether the earth contained enough water to actually fulfill the task God assigned it in the flood. Now I can respond to him and tell him that the Thwaites glacier alone has enough water to flood the earth at least 2 meters. Pretty amazing isn't it?
Raising the sea level by 2 meters is nothing compared to the flood that seems to have happened in Noah's time. The evidence shows that when the sea broke though, it put in enough water to produce the Black Sea. There are still remains of flooded settlements at the bottom of that sea. Now that, was a flood.

know that science has a very important role in our standard of living
This is a strongly guarded secret that they don't want anyone to know

except those financing the one world science .

The standard of living , as God Sees all things, has dropped precipitously in our lifetime and previous few generations.

Oh, the filthy lucre, worldly goods, became available to multitudes, but not with good results for their hearts or souls or minds or health.

This is a strongly guarded secret that they don't want anyone to know

except those financing the one world science .

The standard of living , as God Sees all things, has dropped precipitously in our lifetime and previous few generations.

Oh, the filthy lucre, worldly goods, became available to multitudes, but not with good results for their hearts or souls or minds or health.
Hi follower

What? Is a strongly guarded secret. That science has a very important role in our standard of living? Really? Who's hiding it? Everyone I talk to knows it. If you're using a computer or other digital device to post on these boards, it's played an important role in your standard of living, too.

Trust me, it you immediately switched tomorrow to living an existence from 200 years ago, you'd understand that science has improved our standard of living. I'm afraid you may be confusing standard of living with moral standard. They aren't the same thing.

God bless,
Ted

Back