Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ok, what's the truth.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
He @ezrider

No, I'm not making an assumption. There wasn't anyone else for Cain to marry.

Now, you can believe some account that says, "Oh, God just stepped into the middle of some trillions of years old universe and then He recreated everything, or just explained to us how He made man, but everything was already out there, despite the 'fact' that the Scriptures do say that the earth was created as the first heavenly body in all of the universe.

I guess by your account then, God himself is only 6000 years old, staring out into an empty abyss for trillions of years until one day he said, I think I'll create a universe.

You're just assuming, you know, that he got his wife from somewhere else...also. I do have the 'facts' of God's word to support my 'assumings'.

I am not assuming anything. You have been making assumptions and calling them facts, when they are not fact, but only assumptions. I have not made an assumption here, I have made no declaration of fact. I have only allowed myself the possibility that we don't fully know or understand. On the 6th day, God created man and women. When Adam was formed from the dust of the earth, he had no women. Eve came later.

Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Who is this that darkeneth counsel
by words without knowledge?
Gird up now thy loins like a man;
for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth?
declare, if thou hast understanding.
Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest?
or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Ted, did you know in the scripture it is written a day with the Lord is a thousand years and a thousand years as a day? Yet your insistence is creation took place in 6 literal 24 hour periods. Could have been 6000 years, or 6 periods of time, whatever God determined that period to be.

But I do see another problem with your theology. While you insist that the earth was created in 6 consecutive 24 hour periods, you seem to have no problem separating out the final week of years from the prophecy in Daniel 9.

And of course, to turn the discussion on its head with your logic. God didn't tell you that it took millions of years either. So, on what written prose of God do you base your understanding that the universe must be 50,000 years old, or 10 million years old, or billions and trillions of years old. Show me your evidence!

Science has given you the evidence. Evidence you reject because you think you know better.

Hi Dorothy Mae

While I understand that your mind refuses to allow you to understand and believe the implications of the genealogies found in God's word, the words are there.
Since you’ve chosen to accuse my mind of that which appeals to you personally, it is more likely that I simply much better educated in mathematics and science than you are. The gross assumptions foolish men make, one after the other in calculating based on very loosely described genealogies (names are also left out same as Jesus us called the Son of David) doesn’t bother less educated minds.
Why do you think the earth existed long before man? I mean, for me, the whole purpose of God's creating this realm of existence was that on day one He knew that the last step of the process was to create man, and that's what all of His work of creating was for.
Frankly speaking, I care about obeying God, not wasting time on matters God doesn’t direct us to be concerned about.
Do you really think that God has some big picture window before His throne and He got some great enjoyment watching all the inanimate objects in the universe to just swirl around for trillions of years.
No, I know Him pretty well compared to many and so, no.
Because why? He didn't really know what He was starting when He spoke the first words to bring about this realm or our existence? Really??
Again no.
God is a God of love. It's what He is. He doesn't love fixed bodies in the universe. I mean He made them and I'm sure that He's satisfied with the work He did in making them, but He doesn't 'love' them.
Did He say this in scripture? Where? He said it was good.
God loves people and the whole purpose of His creating this realm in which we now live, with the opportunity that God has given all mankind to know Him, was to create a place where man could live.
So why focus on rocks?

He surrounded it with an atmosphere that holds the oxygen that we need to breathe. He covered it with a dirt that could be plowed and seeded. From which food for that creature called man could eat and live.

Friend, why don't you want to believe the Scriptures.
Why do you think I don’t? If you are sufficiently obeying Christ, which you aren’t when you decide to attack my mind, such that He is satisfied, then you can talk. Gof made the world and made it operate under scientific laws. These are very complex. Best not make speeches about science.
What 'proof' do you have that causes you to deny the plain, simple truth that God has told you about 'how' you and I got to be sitting here at some computer or device 6,000 years after the event. I'm sorry, but I believe that God has given those He loves and cares for a full and complete account of 'how' and 'when' this realm of existence began and as I have said, one day we're all going to see Him do it again.
I could ask some fairly complex questions about the life forms He made and I bet you won’t be able to answer them despite your claim that the Bible gives you exact a “full and complete” knowledge of the details of creation.
And I'm sorry, but I'm missing the point about 'this is because the year the son was born was stated'. Friend, God is wiser than you or I will ever think to imagine to be, The only way that one can give an account that would add up the years would be through the birth ages of the fathers. I mean if I write, Seth had a son named Enosh. Then Seth lived to be 807 years old. Enosh had a son named Kenan and Enosh lived 905 years.
You claim post flood exact birth years and they aren’t there.
Now tell me. With the account as I gave, how old was the earth when Enosh died? You don't know. You don't have enough information. But God is wise!!!! He gave us exactly the information that we need to figure this out. You know, God didn't tell Daniel that the decree he was writing about would be proclaimed in 458 B.C. God didn't tell him that Jesus would be born in 5 B.C. What God did was set up a line of weeks for the Israelites to count out. That's exactly what God has done for us in the genealogical accounts. He has given us the tools and information that we need to work out these questions.
How old was Ham when Canaan was born? You got the tools for that one?
Remember that Jesus said there was a purpose also that he spoke to the people in parables.
He didn’t tell us the age of the earth. Why not?
I think that one thing that people today don't understand is how dates and the passing of time was accounted for.
I assure you, they do.
You know today we have years numbered and we can print a calendar for the year 2050 if we like. We know right now today how the Sunday - Monday weeks for 2050 are going to be accounted, unless someone comes up with a new calendar idea. We have bills that we can schedule to be paid 6 months from now.
Yearly calendars are not arbitrary. A year is the time it takes for the earth to rotate around the sun. We didn’t make this up. (Can’t believe I have to write this.)
Early man had none of that. The sun rose and it was another day. Adam didn't realize that he was living in the year 4,044 B.C. Daniel didn't know that he was living in 500 B.C. So God couldn't write to them things like, "Well, in 434 B.C. this is going to happen". No one would have had a clue what that even means! So God had to devise some other way to allow for dating of the things that happened in the old covenant Scriptures. In this case, He did that by listing these genealogies for us.

God bless,
Ted
uh, they had calendars because planting season was not arbitrarily chosen if they wanted to eat later that year.

Hi ezrider
I guess by your account then, God himself is only 6000 years old, staring out into an empty abyss for trillions of years until one day he said, I think I'll create a universe.
Huh? How did you work that out. I mean, I actually said that He created the angelic realm before our realm. How would that limit God to only being about 6,000 years old?
I am not assuming anything.
Oh, well I'm sorry. Where did Cain get his wife from? Show me your evidence that would prove that you aren't just making an assumption just as you claim that I am?

God bless,
Ted

Hi Dorothy Mae

I gotta say, this statement troubles me. Why the 'fact' that God left out the bit where he prepared Eden, has any bearing on the truth of everything else that He has told us. However, as explained above, I can tell you within 3 days when God created that garden.

God bless,
Ted
You know Ted,

I think you're majoring in the minors. Not a single writer of the New Testament cared one iota about those things. And in todays world, you’re fighting the wrong battle. There are battles, the age of the earth isn’t one.

Hi Dorothy Mae
Ooooh, no. It is, as I've previously stated, how God expects us to understand His power and glory and omniscience. My friend, what we see in the universe declares the glory of God. That's what God's word tells us! Knowing all of that is about 6,000 trips around the sun back from where we stand today, just magnifies and amplifies that glory and power and omniscience.

So, you're free to believe that it makes no difference. Me, I believe that pretty much everything that God has caused to be written to us in His testimony, He believes was important for us to know and understand.

God has declared that He made everything in 6 days, and He established the practice of the Sabbath as day1, followed by day 2, followed by day 3, followed by day 4, followed by day 5, followed by day 6 and then spend the next day resting. God's word says that this is established "for in six days God made..."

And of course, to turn the discussion on its head with your logic. God didn't tell you that it took millions of years either. So, on what written prose of God do you base your understanding that the universe must be 50,000 years old, or 10 million years old, or billions and trillions of years old. Show me your evidence!

God bless,
Ted
Ted,

I have bested atheists and I know where the battle is. It is not in the age of the earth. There are others who will tango with you on this.

But I will leave with this. When we stand before Him to give an account of ourselves, the deeds DONE while in the body, we will not be asked if we thought the world was created in 144 hours from start to finish. That won’t matter at all at that point.

Hi everyone,

So today I'm reading this article about the Thwaites glacier and how divers have swam underneath it with sonar devices to explore the ice thickness and that it is thinning and may crack and the oceans will go crazy high. So, I looked up some images of the Thwaites glacier and it is entirely afloat. It is not some glacier running off the side of some land mass. Now, it has always been my understanding that when ice, that is floating in water melts, it does not change the water level because the area that the ice displaces by its weight is the same area as the ice will take when it melts to water.

Ted, perhaps we should get to your OP. In your comments about the Thwaites glacier, you said it is entirely afloat. That is not a correct statement, so the premise for your OP is misguided. The glacier is not entirely afloat like an iceberg. Where did you get the idea that the glacier is entirely afloat? Did you read about it in the Bible?

Ted, perhaps we should get to your OP. In your comments about the Thwaites glacier, you said it is entirely afloat. That is not a correct statement, so the premise for your OP is misguided. The glacier is not entirely afloat like an iceberg. Where did you get the idea that the glacier is entirely afloat? Did you read about it in the Bible?
The Thwaites Ice Shelf, a floating ice shelf which braces and restrains the eastern portion of Thwaites Glacier, is likely to collapse within a decade from 2021. Perhaps the entire glacier is not floating, but this piece that is making the news is.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Dorothy Mae
There are battles, the age of the earth isn’t one.
I'm not trying to fight any battle. I'm just making known my position and understanding and when people respond to my post and say, "well, that's not the way I see it", then I respond with the evidence that I believe justifies my position. However, yes in pretty much any such dialogue, one tends to get defensive about their position... just as you seem to have.

As far as whether or not what we believe about God's word, matters to God. Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Dorothy Mae

I'm not trying to fight any battle. I'm just making known my position and understanding and when people respond to my post and say, "well, that's not the way I see it", then I respond with the evidence that I believe justifies my position. However, yes in pretty much any such dialogue, one tends to get defensive about their position... just as you seem to have.

As far as whether or not what we believe about God's word, matters to God. Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

God bless,
Ted
It matters to God that we believe enough to obey the things that call us to action, not believe something He didn’t teach nor deny.

It matters to God that we believe enough to obey the things that call us to action, not believe something He didn’t teach nor deny.
Well, weather one sees that the Scriptures do actually 'teach' on this issue, is, I guess, how they read things.

The genealogies with dates are in the Scriptures. God's word does 'teach' that. The claim that He made everything in 6 days is also repeated at least twice after it is 'taught' in the Genesis account.

So, this idea that God's word doesn't 'teach' about these things is, for me, rather a disingenuous argument.

God bless,
Ted

Well, weather one sees that the Scriptures do actually 'teach' on this issue, is, I guess, how they read things.

The genealogies with dates are in the Scriptures. God's word does 'teach' that. The claim that He made everything in 6 days is also repeated at least twice after it is 'taught' in the Genesis account.

So, this idea that God's word doesn't 'teach' about these things is, for me, rather a disingenuous argument.

God bless,
Ted
You are making it answer a question no one asks. That God created all is the answer. When is not asked mir answered.

HI again Dorothy Mae

And, on this site, as a general rule I'm speaking to other believers. So let me be clear, this isn't something that I use to start off a discussion with an unbeliever about Jesus. This is a discussion among believers, just like those who ask a plethora of questions like: Well what does it mean that we can't put new wine in old wineskins? I just had a poster ask recently whether there was enough water on and in the earth to have flooded the whole earth? I mean, that's another pretty clear teaching, and apparently at least one believer seems to think that if there isn't enough water contained in the earth, then God couldn't have done what His Scriptures pretty clearly tell us that He did.

So, who would not discuss those issues and offer up the evidences that we find in the Scriptures to answer them?

Look, I believe in a God who has told us the truth about all things. I believe in a God who knows the mind of men and wrote for us in a way that such minds could understand. That's why you don't see in God's word that Israel would be restored in 1948. Nowhere in the Scriptures does God tell us,"In 1948 I'm going to call my people Israel back to their land. Ahhh, but if we read and understand all the prophecies of the Scriptures, then we can figure out that God's hand was the cause in bringing back the Jews to Jerusalem and Israel. If we properly discern what God has told us in His word, we can actually see that 1948 was always when God was going to restore Israel. But it wouldn't have meant anything to people before the modern calendar was conceived for God to put in some statement, "I'm going to restore Israel in 1948. They would have just sat around scratching their heads wondering what in the world did 1948 mean?

Please understand that in the old covenant, which was all written prior to 400 B.C, there was no accounting and adding up some number of the years. Anyway, I've said my piece and I've gotten my answers from this group about the truth regarding melting glaciers.

God bless,
Ted

You admit you have to “add” up numbers although you won’t admit the vast majority are guesses pure.
You're absolutely right! I do not admit that the vast majority are 'guesses pure', whatever that means. There are a lot of very serious biblical scholars that have put pen to paper on a lot of God's prophecies as far as their timing. But honestly, I can't understand why you would think that's a bad thing.

You don't then subscribe to the Scriptural teaching that we should study the Scriptures to show ourselves approved?

God bless,
Ted

You're absolutely right! I do not admit that the vast majority are 'guesses pure', whatever that means. There are a lot of very serious biblical scholars that have put pen to paper on a lot of God's prophecies as far as their timing. But honestly, I can't understand why you would think that's a bad thing.
No man can tell how old the fathers were when they had the son. No man serious or not. The information is missing. They guess each time. No man can tell if a som or two were skipped as the Hebrews did. It might comfort you to think that because they are serious they know what is recorded no where.
You don't then subscribe to the Scriptural teaching that we should study the Scriptures to show ourselves approved?
Ah yes, the personal attack. You make up ages and I stick to what is said, and Im “not studying the scriptures.”

The Thwaites Ice Shelf, a floating ice shelf which braces and restrains the eastern portion of Thwaites Glacier, is likely to collapse within a decade from 2021. Perhaps the entire glacier is not floating, but this piece that is making the news is.

God bless,
Ted

The piece that is floating isn't floating independent like an iceberg in the ocean. It is suspended over and floating on the water, but its entire mass has not displaced the extent of water until it breaks off and floats like an independent iceberg.

Anyway, I've said my piece and I've gotten my answers from this group about the truth regarding melting glaciers.

And what truth have you gained regarding the melting glaciers?

Back