Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Okay, so your 18 year old says s/he is getting the first tattoo: best placement?

And the fact that things are going downhill morality wise surprises you? Really? Have you not read the Bible where it talks about the end times? :P

Seriously though Societies change, this happens. Still can be argued that there were times in history before where things were worse. We don't crucify people on dead trees and line the roads with them. We don't throw a bunch of people in a football stadium with lions and see who wins. We don't setup temples to roman gods and throw a bunch of prostitutes in them and call them priestess. We have it pretty good considering.

In modern terms of our world we don't have it as bad as Christians in other Islamic countries and the like that regularly throw Christians in jail or kill them. In my opinion we should focus on the good, not the bad.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8"

As for tattoos I had wanted one for many years for faith reasons. I'm not going into what those were because I'm sure someone who doesn't like the idea will sidetrack the topic on it. I prayed about it for 10 years, I kid you not. Finally I was able to come up with a tattoo that fit my focused desires. This is it.
View attachment 2155
It is a band around my right forearm. It's symbolism is pretty clear, though there is some deeper significance to it. The band itself is a crown of thorns representing the suffering of Christ. The nail and blood represents both Christ's sacrifice for my sins and the struggle to die to self and live to God. It serves as a daily reminder for me. It's been 10 years since and I don't regret getting this. In fact I love it. I can not tell you the opportunities I've had to tell people about God and the openings it's brought just by shaking someones hand. It is a statement of faith. A daily reminder not to give up. It's an opportunity to witness. Most of all, it allows me to reach out to people that some can't. It opens closed doors with some groups. "...I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." 1 Cor 9:22

My body is still a temple. We are not bound in the same ways by the old laws, or we wouldn't be eating shellfish or pork. There would still be people getting stoned. And last I knew, temples are decorated. So maybe you don't agree with it, but that doesn't make it sin.

timothy:

Thanks for the comment, and I reckon that you've had a lot of opportunities to talk to ppl about the faith based aspect of your tattoo, right?

This is why ppl get them.

Other ppl don't at first set out to get them, but because they feel they need a cover up of a previous one they don't now appreciate, they will choose a faith based design as a cover up.

BTW: I appreciated Still Blessed comments; as a tattooed lady she was being honest about her feelings so far, and about her personal tattoo journey that she has made up to now.

(PS: Timothy: Your design seems to be generally armband/tribal in inspiration, which can also be applied to a thorn or even barbed wire design.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Timothy, I never said that getting a tattoo is a sin. To be honest with you, I'm not sure. All I can tell you is how I felt about it and that I do believe that God wasn't happy with me getting mine. Now, maybe my feelings would be different if they had of been a faith based design instead of a name and a strawberry, (of all dumb things, lol). It's great that yours has opened doors for you to reach some of those that might not even bother to listen to the average "preacher" look.

As for us having easier times, I don't know about that. Since I didn't live then, it's hard to say, but we do have a banquet of sin spread before us every day. Think of the opportunities we have today that they didn't back then. The internet, for example, television, radio, books, magazines. The list goes on. There is also some good to be found in those things. I guess it all boils down to how we choose to use something. It's all going to come to an end, though, and I won't be sorry to see it come. I am tired of this world and all it's ugliness. Yes, there is beauty, but none that can compare to Glory. All the things that I DO love about this world, will be so much better in Heaven.

Timothy, I never said that getting a tattoo is a sin. To be honest with you, I'm not sure. All I can tell you is how I felt about it and that I do believe that God wasn't happy with me getting mine. Now, maybe my feelings would be different if they had of been a faith based design ..

Still Blessed:

To develop your own theme, would your feelings now be just a bit different, too, if it were a matter of a faith based design for a cover up?

(Just gently wondering where the progression of your thought leads you.)

PS: I really do agree with what you say, too, about the Lord's coming.

farouk,

I do think I would feel better about a faith based design than what I have. At least they would represent something meaningful when I saw them on myself, serve as a daily reminder of my faith rather than a daily reminder of my stupidity.

farouk,

I do think I would feel better about a faith based design than what I have. At least they would represent something meaningful when I saw them on myself, serve as a daily reminder of my faith rather than a daily reminder of my stupidity.

Still Blessed:

Well, I see.

I guess there is a logic to it.

So is it a case of how you would feel theoretically about a faith based cover up? or are you actively prepared to go do it?

(Wishing and doing is different, right? at least for some ppl, when it comes to the prospect of the needle pain.)

Still Blessed:

Well, I see.

I guess there is a logic to it.

So is it a case of how you would feel theoretically about a faith based cover up? or are you actively prepared to go do it?

(Wishing and doing is different, right? at least for some ppl, when it comes to the prospect of the needle pain.)

I will probably go do it, just not right away. I have decided to pick a design I like, and think on it for a few months. If I still like the idea by September, I will go and do it.

I will probably go do it, just not right away. I have decided to pick a design I like, and think on it for a few months. If I still like the idea by September, I will go and do it.

Still Blessed:

Best not to rush into anything, right? Caution is good, right?

Is there a good parlor that you can check out, without committing yourself?

It may be a while since you last were inked, so it's always worthwhile checking out the parlor thoroughly and making sure you feel comfortable about it, first, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
well if i had a child that wanted one. and she was an adult. she could get one and that her right legally, but i aint driving her to get one...

j:

Okay, this is fine.

On the other hand, some folks would think it would be helpful to go check out the parlor, to see if it was okay; clean; regulated, etc.

"What do people think?"

This "people" thinks that it's a really foolish thing to go into a place where some person will take you MONEY in exchange for the purpose of repetitively plunging an ink-coated needle into your skin.

But hey!!!! - all my kids have tattoos - mostly gotten while in alcoholic hazes.

I'd rather waste my money on banjo strings.

to go into a place where some person will take you MONEY in exchange for the purpose of repetitively plunging an ink-coated needle into your skin.
Well, I guess they wouldn't — and you wouldn't, either, :) — do it for free...
But hey!!!! - all my kids have tattoos
I guess this is my basic point. If they are going to get them anyway, would a bit of placement advice be sometimes suitable?

"I guess this is my basic point. If they are going to get them anyway, would a bit of placement advice be sometimes suitable?"

They're gonna put 'em where they want 'em anyway. And if the kid is so "far gone" he wants his Girlfriend du jour's name on his forehead, he's already WAY beyond taking any "advice" about things.

"I guess this is my basic point. If they are going to get them anyway, would a bit of placement advice be sometimes suitable?"

They're gonna put 'em where they want 'em anyway. And if the kid is so "far gone" he wants his Girlfriend du jour's name on his forehead, he's already WAY beyond taking any "advice" about things.

BC:

Well, I'm sure I wasn't talking about forehead as a placement, anyway.

In fact, some tattooists even refuse to do facial tattoos.

Hi Still Blessed:

How are you doing, and did you have any more thoughts about the faith-based cover up design?

Blessings.

Hey farouk....longtime no see.

I've missed the proliferation of tatt threads. As of now we have a superabundance of Calvinist threads.

...Tatt threads are far more fun. ;)

Hey farouk....longtime no see.

I've missed the proliferation of tatt threads. As of now we have a superabundance of Calvinist threads.

...Tatt threads are far more fun. ;)

handy:

Well, I see. Did you ever consider one?

Blessings.

Tattoos have been used by Christians for centuries. The examples off the top of my head come from French-Canadians of 17th-19th century Canada (used for ensuring a Christian burial if body was found) and among the Coptic Christians of Egypt.

AFA placement, nowhere normal business attire allows it to be seen. Also, one should never get a name tattooed (either their own or someone else's).

I have a few designs on the drawing board. Some faith-based (like the Cross of St. James), others based on my life journey.

My humble opinion. Take it as such.

Mario

Matamoros:

Yes, I understand about the idea of keeping in mind covering tattoos during some business contexts.

Still Blessed: You said you were considering a cover-up in a faith based design. So how are you plans going?

Back