Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Poll: earring(s) for one, or both, his ears?

POLL: Earring for one, or both, his ears?

• I would be content if e.g., my teen son, wore an earring in ONE ear only

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I would be content if e.g., my teen son, wore earrings in BOTH ears

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I would NOT be content if e.g., my teen son, wore earrings in either ear

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I don't think Steve is against the idea on religious grounds...at least I've never hear him object to guys wearing earrings due to religion or the Bible.

handy:

I see.

You yourself obviously do think that from the point of view of looks that it WOULD be suitable and appropriate for him. :)

Danny63:

Well, sounds like you're not at all hostile to his double rings in one ear, anyway...

Is he done getting rings put in now, maybe? because anyway many young men do both ears these days.

God bless your family.
I am not sure if he is done or not. I do believe I am done with tattoos and piercings but just because I do not want anymore. I am not against anyone getting any at all that is their choice.

I am not sure if he is done or not. I do believe I am done with tattoos and piercings but just because I do not want anymore. I am not against anyone getting any at all that is their choice.

Danny63;

Well, this seems to be the order of progression with young people, doesn't it?

First piercings, then tattoos. Sometimes they move away from piercings once they have gotten completely comfortable with going under the tattoo needle, and sometimes they from time to time continue doing both.

I think 18 is the age to start getting tattooed, not before. But I think it's perfectly fine for especially ear piercing to start with young men and women who are under 18. (If this makes sense?)

Complete non-issue. If my son (or daughter) wanted to go the complete nine yards (e.g., tats head-to-toe, nose piercings, tongue piercings, etc.) , they're free to go ahead.

Complete non-issue. If my son (or daughter) wanted to go the complete nine yards (e.g., tats head-to-toe, nose piercings, tongue piercings, etc.) , they're free to go ahead.

m:

I guess there would be an age limit there somewhere, though...

Nah. It's more about maturity (i.e., the ability to make well thought-out decisions showing awareness of the consequences).

My 10 year old granddaughter can make well thought out decisions even to show awareness of the consequences, like don't touch the stove or it may burn ya. But that does not mean I let her go and pierce up her body.

As a parent I think it is your obligation, no your duty to put a hold on things like what your saying, even if they can make sound choices. Teens and young teens especially only see whats up today, they can't truly see how much they will or will not like what they have done to their body until it is to late.
It's what everyone else is doing, I want to be cool, but guess what, that tats I got when I was 14 I wish I never did that. And I did it against my parents wishes.

But that is just me.

My 10 year old granddaughter can make well thought out decisions even to show awareness of the consequences, like don't touch the stove or it may burn ya. But that does not mean I let her go and pierce up her body.

As a parent I think it is your obligation, no your duty to put a hold on things like what your saying, even if they can make sound choices. Teens and young teens especially only see whats up today, they can't truly see how much they will or will not like what they have done to their body until it is to late.
It's what everyone else is doing, I want to be cool, but guess what, that tats I got when I was 14 I wish I never did that. And I did it against my parents wishes.

But that is just me.

Danny63:

Some good points, yes.

Better not to be too young, before they can handle it, right.

It's maybe possible that when girls tend to get their second holes done - they often are expected to wait until their early teens, maybe - is also a time that boys can be expected to wait to get their first ear piercing(s). Sounds about reasonable to me, what do you think.

As for the first tattoo, I do think they should wait until 18 before getting it. (Often the 18th b-day is the time for the visit to the parlor anyway.)

When I say "showing awareness of the consequences," I am not simply talking about immediate and short-term consequences. I am talking about all the consequences relevant to the decision (e.g., social, financial, long-term, etc.). Any child capable of making decisions based on such awareness is clearly mature enough to manage the consequences. It's about maturity, not some arbitrary number.

This goes against "showing an awareness of consequences" and "well thought-out decisions."

When I say "showing awareness of the consequences," I am not simply talking about immediate and short-term consequences. I am talking about all the consequences relevant to the decision (e.g., social, financial, long-term, etc.). Any child capable of making decisions based on such awareness is clearly mature enough to manage the consequences. It's about maturity, not some arbitrary number.

This goes against "showing an awareness of consequences" and "well thought-out decisions."

M:

Well, I guess it does depend a bit on the age, too, right?

Some states don't let them get certain piercings or tattoos before the age of 18, anyway. I can see that this is sensible.

Well, I guess it does depend a bit on the age, too, right?
Again, not really. I agree with years lived often comes maturity, but this does not hold consistently enough to be helpful. Thus, I think an arbitrary number which delineates the "age of maturity" is advisable. Thus, if I have a 10-year old child capable to engaging on the level described above, then I would definitely be open to allowing them to have different piercings or even tattoos. (Of course, this assumes the legality of such behavior. It would also be an extremely rare case which I consider unlikely to happen.)

I agree, and 10 yrs old was just a number I used, although I do believe that even if they show maturity at lets say 15 or 16, we need to "step in" as responsible parents if they show in their maturity they can still make a wrong decision. I hold to the idea that 18, on their own so to say, is about the best age to let them make that choice for a tattoo.

I don't think so, God gave us the responsibility as parents to guide protect and teach our children regardless of their ability to make decisions. I do not agree with you there.

I agree, and 10 yrs old was just a number I used, although I do believe that even if they show maturity at lets say 15 or 16, we need to "step in" as responsible parents if they show in their maturity they can still make a wrong decision.
Within the system I have proposed, the responsible parent would be involved in the decision making process. They would ask questions, point out problems, and encourage the child to think through things. The responsible parent would necessarily do these things to gauge the child's maturity and reasoning. Thus, the parent is not aloof as your response seems to imply.

Secondarily, children need to be allow to make wrong decisions. They need to be allow to make mistakes, do stupid stuff, and to fail. If we shelter our children from these things, then we stunt their development and make their lives more challenging.

I hold to the idea that 18, on their own so to say, is about the best age to let them make that choice for a tattoo.
Why?

I don't think so, God gave us the responsibility as parents to guide protect and teach our children regardless of their ability to make decisions. I do not agree with you there.
If a teenager "can't truly see how much they will or will not like what they have done to their body until it is to late," then they are not aware of the consequences. If a teenager is making a decision based on "I want to be cool," then the teenager has not made a "well thought-out decision."

You're not disagreeing with my post. You're disagreeing with the post you thought I wrote.

...10 yrs old was just a number I used, although I do believe that even if they show maturity at lets say 15 or 16, we need to "step in" as responsible parents if they show in their maturity they can still make a wrong decision. I hold to the idea that 18, on their own so to say, is about the best age to let them make that choice for a tattoo.

Danny63:

I agree about the need for parental guidance, especially under the age of 18.

It's true that some states allow tattoos at 16, with parental permission. Many of them don't, though.

But there's nothing wrong with a boy with earrings in his early to mid teens, I would reckon. Girls are often getting their doubles put in then anyway, so for a boy by that age it shouldn't be a problem.

(If this makes any sense...)

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: Danny63:

So are you still basically okay with the idea of age 16 for an earring for a son/grandson? (rather than 18, that is; I think you meant 18 as the age for a tattoo for a son/daughter, right?)

Sometimes they want a dad to go with them and get an (extra) stud put in at the same as they have theirs done; but, then, not all dads/grandads would be prepared to do this, anyway.

God bless your family.

PS: Danny63:

So are you still basically okay with the idea of age 16 for an earring for a son/grandson? (rather than 18, that is; I think you meant 18 as the age for a tattoo for a son/daughter, right?)

Sometimes they want a dad to go with them and get an (extra) stud put in at the same as they have theirs done; but, then, not all dads/grandads would be prepared to do this, anyway.

God bless your family.

Yes I am fine at 16 for the earing, even the second one. But as far as the tattoo well for me I would make them wait until 18 but I am not going to judge someone as a bad parent that allows their kids at a younger age to have them. I don't think for my kids, who are now grown and have kid's of their own now, I would have ever let them get tattoo's before they were 18.

Yes I am fine at 16 for the earing, even the second one.

Yes, I agree; he should be able to go for it by this age. It's a pretty widespread look for them by then, isn't it.

But as far as the tattoo well for me I would make them wait until 18 but I am not going to judge someone as a bad parent that allows their kids at a younger age to have them.
Yes, well, I wouldn't recommend it under 18, but, then, after all, some states allow it at 16, with parental permission, don't they.

The personal reasons behind someones motivation to do something is always a good indicator of what kind of actions might unfold. If a guy thinks it looks cool and wants to look that way, then it's not a big deal. If the guy does it for acceptance or as some sort of image changer, then its not so great especially if it causes negative actions.

Earrings are somewhat harmless in the long run. I know guys that had earrings and the skin ended up healing after the put their hoops away for good. :biggrin
Tattoos are a totally different story. I consider things that are permanent to be considered a mutilation meaning, cannot physically erase. They require much more thought and commitment since your body is permanently changed from its original state. I don't know many people that like the tattoo they got when they were 16. It takes a lot of research and money to get a tattoo and young people have neither in most cases.

The personal reasons behind someones motivation to do something is always a good indicator of what kind of actions might unfold. If a guy thinks it looks cool and wants to look that way, then it's not a big deal. ...

Earrings are somewhat harmless in the long run. I know guys that had earrings and the skin ended up healing after the put their hoops away for good. :biggrin

Igot:

So basically your two cents' are to the young men out there, if they want (an) earring(s), 'Go for it'? :)

Tattoos are a totally different story. I consider things that are permanent to be considered a mutilation meaning, cannot physically erase. They require much more thought and commitment since your body is permanently changed from its original state. I don't know many people that like the tattoo they got when they were 16. It takes a lot of research and money to get a tattoo and young people have neither in most cases.
Well, yes, ink can be a tricky proposition for not a few 16 year olds.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back