Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Post a Life Hack that you think will help someone

Today's gasoline has ethanol in it. And over time it absorbs moisture and causes corrosion. Supposedly gas additives area available that are designed to prohibit that corrosion. Don't ask me how. I may be a double knot spy and a brain surgeon but I don'ts know how that stuff works.
Ha, so I better drain the gas on the zero turn before storing for winter.

What about fuel stabilizers, do they work?

I would do this in my Corvette when I stored her for the winter.

Admittingly it started rough in the Spring, used a battery tender as well.

Ha, so I better drain the gas on the zero turn before storing for winter.

What about fuel stabilizers, do they work?

I would do this in my Corvette when I stored her for the winter.

Admittingly it started rough in the Spring, used a battery tender as well.
You can drain it and run it out of gas . I ran that generator until I stalled out from no gas . Even boat gas goes bad in a year .

Today's gasoline has ethanol in it. And over time it absorbs moisture and causes corrosion. Supposedly gas additives area available that are designed to prohibit that corrosion. Don't ask me how. I may be a double knot spy and a brain surgeon but I don'ts know how that stuff works.
In my own experience, this has not proven true. There might be others that have different experiences, but I assure you this is the absolute truth.

I have been using 87 octane 10% ethanol in every gasoline engine I use for decades.
  • 2012 90hp Evinrude Etec outboard purchased new
  • 2011 Cub Cadet 50" riding lawn mower purchased new
  • Push lawn mower given to me by my mother some 30 years ago
  • Montgomery Wards garden tiller that I purchased used about 30 years ago
  • Jiffy ice auger purchased new about 20 years ago
  • Stihl 028 chainsaw I purchased new in 1985 and used professionally for 5 years
I keep the mixed fuel for my chainsaw in an old anti-freeze bottle and because I don't use the saw very much anymore, it can get to be a couple years old, but it has always worked when I needed it.

I maybe use my push mower two or three times a year and any gasoline left over is left in the tank over the winter. Same is true with my garden tiller which is used maybe once per year.

When I park my riding lawn mower in the fall, I just leave whatever gasoline is in the tank sit until the next year. Starts right up every spring.

In all those years, I've only experienced gasoline going bad one time. It was in the fall one year with an old Ice King ice auger I got from my step father. I'm guessing it was a 1970's vintage. One fall before freeze-up, I pulled out my ice auger and tried to start it to be sure everything was good to go. When it wouldn't start, I opened the tank, and the gasoline smelled like diesel fuel. I drained it out, replaced it, pressed the primer about 5 times as usual, and started the auger. That was about 25 years ago.

I will say this. Never had a problem so the only reason for this is probably just a habit since it was required by the manufacturer to maintain my warranty for the first five years, but every fall when I winterize my boat motor before winter, I do put a fuel conditioner/stabilizer in the tank. That motor is now 12 years old and has never failed me.

The only other thing I do and again this is just a habit that I picked up over the years, is that I do add a carb/injector cleaner to a tank of fuel probably once every year or every other year. I have experienced improved fuel economy and performance in my truck by doing this.

Here's something else. Ethanol does not cause water to accumulate in the fuel. That is a myth that has been going around for years. In fact, it is actually beneficial to help prevent fuel line freeze-up and is one of the alcohols used in fuel system antifreeze along with methyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol. The water can accumulate even in a tank with no ethanol as it comes from condensation that forms in the tank from temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Last edited:
Here's another one. When unleaded gasoline first came on the scene, the rumors were that it was necessary to add a lead substitute and of course, there were plenty of them hitting the store shelves.

In 1992, I bought a 1947 Farmall M tractor to use for moving snow and making hay. When I bought gasoline for it the first time I wasn't sure what I needed to do. This tractor was designed and built 30 years before unleaded gasoline even existed. Also, shortly after I bought that tractor, 87 octane fuels were blended E10 in Minnesota so that too was a concern for me at the time.

Okay, so I was buying a lead substitute for my tractor (this was in the 1990s) and paying about $5.00 per quart. One day, I was looking at the bottle and happened to notice the ingredients. I was expecting to see petroleum distillates listed but that is not what I found. There was only one ingredient listed....kerosene. I was buying kerosene at $5.00 a quart at a time when I could get it at the local service station for $1.85 a gallon! What a rip-off that was! Since kerosene and #1 diesel fuel are roughly the same thing and #2 diesel was nearly the same, I decided to use #2 diesel at $1.10 per gallon. Over the years, I have learned that not only was the lead substitute (or diesel fuel) not necessary, my tractor performs just fine on E10 87 octane fuel and that's what I use today. The engine is still original and has never been rebuilt and trust me, that tractor has a lot of hours on it.

In my own experience, this has not proven true. There might be others that have different experiences, but I assure you this is the absolute truth.

I have been using 87 octane 10% ethanol in every gasoline engine I use for decades.
  • Stihl 028 chainsaw I purchased new in 1985 and used professionally for 5 years
I keep the mixed fuel for my chainsaw in an old anti-freeze bottle and because I don't use the saw very much anymore, it can get to be a couple years old, but it has always worked when I needed it.

I maybe use my push mower two or three times a year and any gasoline left over is left in the tank over the winter. Same is true with my garden tiller which is used maybe once per year.

When I park my riding lawn mower in the fall, I just leave whatever gasoline is in the tank sit until the next year. Starts right up every spring.

In all those years, I've only experienced gasoline going bad one time. It was in the fall one year with an old Ice King ice auger I got from my step father. I'm guessing it was a 1970's vintage. One fall before freeze-up, I pulled out my ice auger and tried to start it to be sure everything was good to go. When it wouldn't start, I opened the tank, and the gasoline smelled like diesel fuel. I drained it out, replaced it, pressed the primer about 5 times as usual, and started the auger. That was about 25 years ago.

I will say this. Never had a problem so the only reason for this is probably just a habit since it was required by the manufacturer to maintain my warranty for the first five years, but every fall when I winterize my boat motor before winter, I do put a fuel conditioner/stabilizer in the tank. That motor is now 12 years old and has never failed me.

The only other thing I do and again this is just a habit that I picked up over the years, is that I do add a carb/injector cleaner to a tank of fuel probably once every year or every other year. I have experienced improved fuel economy and performance in my truck by doing this.

Here's something else. Ethanol does not cause water to accumulate in the fuel. That is a myth that has been going around for years. In fact, it is actually beneficial to help prevent fuel line freeze-up and is one of the alcohols used in fuel system antifreeze along with methyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol. The water can accumulate even in a tank with no ethanol as it comes from condensation that forms in the tank from temperature and humidity fluctuations.
I have a craftsman 2 stage snow blower that needed repaired, the mechanic told me that I should be putting in 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel.

Can I use 87 octane 10% ethanol in my in my yard machines (Echo backpack blower, echo weed whip, echo chainsaw, craftsman hedge trimmer) that use regular unleaded gas?

Do I need to drain them completely.

I have a craftsman 2 stage snow blower that needed repaired, the mechanic told me that I should be putting in 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel.

Can I use 87 octane 10% ethanol in my in my yard machines (Echo backpack blower, echo weed whip, echo chainsaw, craftsman hedge trimmer) that use regular unleaded gas?

Do I need to drain them completely.
I went off topic, apologies.

Key word winter ,Florida doesn't get winter . Gas by itself left alone breaks down . Ethanol .

Try and yes pre 07 you could run vegetable oil in diesel engines as u know a man who used grease virgin and used ,he filtered it out and it ate his fuel lines .

He had to replace any rubber lines every so often .he retired that truck eventually. It was a mid 80s Chevy 2500 srw with a diesel 6.2

Sitting for six months shouldn't have problems or a year but it does and Florida winter ,,lol.

Cheaper to replace a carb then clean it .
The gas in that generator was not a year old . Some of it might have been older but I would run it once a year for a half hour then as stated ,let it run out once I killed the fuel .it didn't have a gallon in it .

Briggs and Stratton says no to ethanol 15

Shops here say ethanol free .

Small engines are moving away from carburetor to fuel injection.

My job got a new zero turn for slopes and it's fuel injected .you would have to buy the scanner to talk to it if it has a problem .

Since we are talking about keys . Go ahead and make a complete set of extra keys to have on hand , especially if one of the family members is gifted in the keys lost department .
We still have several misc. house keys laying around from when my adult kids still lived at home. Whenever someone needed a key we'd rummage around in the junk drawer for one.

That be expensive.
That be expensive.
4 bucks?
I always have a gallon .

Boat fuel .own a boat you can't use e85 e87 in them .https://partsvu.com/blogs/boating-resources/how-to-choose-the-right-marine-fuel-for-your-boats-engine#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20can%20use%20the,E10%20or%20ethanol%2Dfree%20gasoline.

Been using rec fuel for them all . I mix it .key word corrosive in that article .the slime he mentioned I did see in the generator tank . My wife got regular gas once and didn't tell me .

Back