Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] POST HERE TO MAKE A COMMENT ON THE DEBATE

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
SyntaxVorlon said:
lavosbit.gif
lcore1.gif
lavosbit.gif

Destruction rains from the Heavens.

Aha...that's awesome!!!

Ok, I've been really busy with school (I'm tryin to get my demo reel set up) now that I have some time I'll post it.

3:0.... now for a "quick "shoot out"?

Tua said:
..... I think I’ll come up with one more topic, we’ll do our little exchange, then I’d like to end it with a cross-examining period where you ask me up to 10 questions, and then I’ll answer and ask you up to 10 questions.

After that we’ll conclude with a one paragraph statement.

Umpire: The score is now 3 sets to 0. BL=3, Tua=0. (6:4, 6:2 and 6:0). Tua failed to even reach the net on his last serve.

Now Tua tries to add new rules and conditions. LOL. EVEN if BL accepts them, it would have to be Tua who starts this new "cross-examining" section as BL led the first set. As we say in darts... "mugs away!"

By the way, in this section, why not have the same format as a normal debate? I suggest:
1) 10 questions by Tua
2) BL answers
3) Tua responds and concludes
3) BL responds and concludes

The process is then reversed.

I would suggest that a time limit is placed on the responses. Max=two days?

However, I do think that we have to decide on a winner of the first debate. As there are to be 4 sets, the outcome can only be BL=4, Tua=0 or BL=3 and Tua=1. So already, we have a winner BEFORE the final "set" is played. Tua may want to continue to try recover a small bit of respectability....

:) :)

Well, the debate is slow, and if BL accepts Tua's 10 questions game, then we have an even slower debate to look foward too. Sounds like a diversion, a setup, or both by Tua. Not that I think BL will allow himself to be set up for assault by Tua.

......And Tua's last post was essentially the same one, just changed a little bit?

Gary_Bee said:
Now Tua tries to add new rules and conditions. LOL. EVEN if BL accepts them, it would have to be Tua who starts this new "cross-examining" section as BL led the first set. As we say in darts... "mugs away!"

Uh...it's not new rules and conditions, it's closing the debate up.

By the way, in this section, why not have the same format as a normal debate? I suggest:
1) 10 questions by Tua
2) BL answers
3) Tua responds and concludes
3) BL responds and concludes

No.

The process is then reversed.

However, I do think that we have to decide on a winner of the first debate. As there are to be 4 sets, the outcome can only be BL=4, Tua=0 or BL=3 and Tua=1. So already, we have a winner BEFORE the final "set" is played. Tua may want to continue to try recover a small bit of respectability....

Well, if you want to act like a 3 year old, and decide a winner, Gary, just to appease your smalle intellect, then go for it.

Darck Marck said:
Well, the debate is slow, and if BL accepts Tua's 10 questions game, then we have an even slower debate to look foward too. Sounds like a diversion, a setup, or both by Tua. Not that I think BL will allow himself to be set up for assault by Tua.

Why would it be slow? After our last exchange, with my conclusion, BL lists 10 questions. I answer them, then list 10 questions of my own.

Then we both post concluding paragraphs...that's it...

......And Tua's last post was essentially the same one, just changed a little bit?

Not really, I answered his question (natural selection, and mutation).

Darck Marck said:

Gary: BL may continue. I find it very funny that Tua first claimed that he was having trouble because "we" were "ganging up" on him and then claimed that he was "busy with school"..... but, during the non-response to BL's posts, Tua posted about 30 posts on the board (Sunday Oct 24 to Thurs Oct 28). It reminds me of my son who "forgets" or is "too busy" to do his homework as he watches Cartoon Network! He also ducks his homework when he cannot understand it and blames everything and everyone else.

:)

Winner?.... or kicking butt?

Tua: Well, if you want to act like a 3 year old, and decide a winner, Gary, just to appease your smalle intellect, then go for it.

Gary: In the debates you have seen or read about, is a winner declared? I seem to remember your rather bold claim that Dan Barker "kicked xxx's butt" in debate. Is BL kicking yours or not?

:biggrin :biggrin

Gary_Bee said:
Winner?.... or kicking butt?

Tua: Well, if you want to act like a 3 year old, and decide a winner, Gary, just to appease your smalle intellect, then go for it.

Gary: In the debates you have seen or read about, is a winner declared? I seem to remember your rather bold claim that Dan Barker "kicked xxx's butt" in debate. Is BL kicking yours or not?

:biggrin :biggrin

I don't care, Gary. Barker does very well in debates. In every debate I've seen, he's made a good argument. And in every debate I've seen, no one is declared a winner.

Come on Gary, just because Tua's latest arguement was pretty weak, doesn't mean he's been getting his but kick the entire debate. Besides Tua has one more arguement to redeem himself. Then we still have the questions should BL except. Nevertheless, I agree that BL is coming up stronger, but It's tua's first time so it can be expected.

... and the last one is on the fossil record.... BL is going to have fun! No need to look for the "missing link" when we have the "missing chain"!

Gary_Bee said:
In the debates you have seen or read about, is a winner declared? I seem to remember your rather bold claim that Dan Barker "kicked xxx's butt" in debate. Is BL kicking yours or not?

The Tuatha'an said:
I don't care, Gary. Barker does very well in debates. In every debate I've seen, he's made a good argument. And in every debate I've seen, no one is declared a winner.

Gary:
Lindisfarne College said:
Debating:
Brad Richard, Jordan Williams and David Hooker won the Russell McVeigh Hawke’s Bay Secondary Schools’ Competition, held at Karamu on Sunday 9 May. They have also won both debates in the local Jaycee Competition. The College has seven teams entered in the local competition, all of whom are doing well. As a result of their performance in the Hawke’s Bay Competition Brad Richards and Jordon Williams have been selected in the Hawke’s Bay Team, and they will travel to Wellington in August to compete in the National Secondary Schools’ Debating Championships.
http://www.lindisfarne.school.nz/newsle ... june04.htm

Winners? Championships? ......... hmmmmmm

All of this is the stuff/essence of debates.

... and in case you think that this is only a school activity....

Michigan State University said:
Michigan State University’s debate team won three major tournaments coast to coast, starting the streak at the University of Southern California (USC) and California State University-Fullerton (CSU-Fullerton) before defeating six of the nation’s top debate teams at the Dartmouth Round Robin in Hanover, N.H.

............They went undefeated, winning 22 debates, at the “California Swing,†which included tournaments Dec. 29-31 at USC and Jan. 2-4 at CSU-Fullerton.

http://newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/1841/content.htm

I wonder how they won if no winner is declared?

:-? :-? :-?

Fossil records are easy to break down, they are simply false. It's been proven that if you take one bone from a dog, and put it with the bones of a cat, you can create a species that doesn't exist. 8-)

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
Fossil records are easy to break down, they are simply false. It's been proven that if you take one bone from a dog, and put it with the bones of a cat, you can create a species that doesn't exist. 8-)
What? You're suggesting that fossils are all false species because their just mixed bones from other animals? How do you explain the differences in the bone structure and the bones themselves in different animals then? Your making an absurd claim, or two rather in saying that it's been 'proven.'

Am I, or am I just having fun? If you take the Bone of a dog, say the skull, and place that skull in the place of the skull on a cats skeleton, you can created a brand new species that never existed. Let's wait and see what Blue Lightning says in response to Tua.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
Am I, or am I just having fun? If you take the Bone of a dog, say the skull, and place that skull in the place of the skull on a cats skeleton, you can created a brand new species that never existed. Let's wait and see what Blue Lightning says in response to Tua.
Paleontologists aren't stupid. They would notice the dog's skull did not belong on the cat's skeleton.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:

Dog and cat bones wouldn't match up, and I think there is a composition test in bone structures to make sure that they belong to the same species.

The complete skull of a dog wouldn't match the top vertabrae of a cat nor would the bone density match. But when you're working with partial bones that have decayed over time...

BL

Blue-Lightning said:
The complete skull of a dog wouldn't match the top vertabrae of a cat nor would the bone density match. But when you're working with partial bones that have decayed over time...

BL

I think we're getting at the same thing BL. 8-)

Blue-Lightning said:

BL

But this is only 6,000 years, right? Would decay be a factor?

I am certainly not an expert in bone decay, however I would appreciate someone discussing the decay difference in bones between 6,000 years and, say 60,000,000 years.

I am also not sure of how fossilization would play into this, or how long that process takes.

Also, it should be noted that BL referred to "carbon-dating" fossils in his response. As far as I know, carbon-dating is not very accurate beyond about 50,000 years, so other elemental dating methods are used on the great majority of fossils, not carbon-dating.

Although I assume he simply used it as a general term for age dating...

would appreciate someone discussing the decay difference in bones between 6,000 years and, say 60,000,000 years.

Would depend on the enviornment they are existing in. Most 6,000 year old bones are long gone...

BL

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back