Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] POST HERE TO MAKE A COMMENT ON THE DEBATE

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The Tuatha'an said:
[quote="Darck Marck":75684][quote="Brutus/HisCatalyst":75684]Well Gary, Tua still gets to make his reply.

I hope it is better than his last one. :lol:[/quote:75684]

You guys are like the peanut gallery...when BL says "that was a weak argument" you all nod your head and agree. It's very humorous.[/quote:75684]

I don't recall BL saying you had a weak arguement...I may have forgotten, but can you point it out to me? BL was just telling you that you didn't explain how, you didn't back up how complex unlearned behaviors evolved...I can understand your embarrasment. What BL thinks does not determine what I think. If he was defending the TOE, he would still do a much better work of it than you, and I would admit it. But, you said yuorself that debates are not used to find the truth, right? Don't try to shove an arguement like we just agree with whatever BL says...just accept what you did wrong, and do better next time.....

As BL said, "There was no argument to be declared weak or strong... just a declaration that was not substantiated."

BL also correctly stated that "This is by far your weakest response." There was no "argument" in Tua's response. Hence BL was correct in calling it a weak "response".

See the difference?

:)

P.S. You may even construct a series or a cluster of propositions / declarations but not put forward an argument. (Introduction to Logic - Irving Copi / Carl Cohen ... Chapter 1, Basic Logical Concepts Page 8)

Darck Marck said:
I don't recall BL saying you had a weak arguement...I may have forgotten, but can you point it out to me? BL was just telling you that you didn't explain how, you didn't back up how complex unlearned behaviors evolved...I can understand your embarrasment. What BL thinks does not determine what I think. If he was defending the TOE, he would still do a much better work of it than you, and I would admit it. But, you said yuorself that debates are not used to find the truth, right? Don't try to shove an arguement like we just agree with whatever BL says...just accept what you did wrong, and do better next time.....

Oh I know...and I was embarrassed after I realised what he was saying. I misunderstood what he was asking for, so yes, my argument was weak. It's frustrating, because this is actually my first formal debate with another person, and when people begin ganging up on me....well, I'm only human.

Anyways, I'm formulating a response. It'll be out soon.

Tua: ...and when people begin ganging up on me....

Gary: BL is a gang?

I would suggest that you focus on YOUR end of the debate rather than trying to be the last post on every tread in this section.

In the tennis match analogy, you are trying to play the game, watch the game and umpire.... all at the same time! But you are losing them all badly.... and then you start blaming the spectators (for "ganging up" on you) while you keep coming back INTO the crowd to tell us how to judge the match! You hardly gain support from the spectators, especially when you call us "the peanut gallery."

Why not stick to being a player? Let us comment on the debate. That is how debates are conducted. I thought you knew that. You said you had seen other debates. Obviously not.....

P.S. Truth is not determined by the NUMBER of people who hold a particular position or opinion.

P.P.S. We are waiting for your "serve". Spend less time here..... rather spend the time in research of what to write in the actual debate.

or as you have said...
That's cuz a certain SOMEBODY, not going to name any names....*cough* ........ *cough*....hasn't been posting!
But that's alright, you have your excuse.

:-? :-?

keebs said:
I don't recall BL saying you had a weak arguement...I may have forgotten, but can you point it out to me?

Yep, he definitely said:

[quote:48c8f]This is by far your weakest response.
[/quote:48c8f]

It was a weak RESPONSE. BL didn't say he had a weak arguement.

The Tuatha'an said:
[quote="Darck Marck":86676]

Oh I know...and I was embarrassed after I realised what he was saying. I misunderstood what he was asking for, so yes, my argument was weak. It's frustrating, because this is actually my first formal debate with another person, and when people begin ganging up on me....well, I'm only human.

Anyways, I'm formulating a response. It'll be out soon.
[/quote:86676]

You didn't have a weak arguement....you skipped it altogether!

And what do you mean by "when people begin ganging up on me"? BL is one person, not a gang.

As BL said, "There was no argument to be declared weak or strong... just a declaration that was not substantiated."

Technically, an argument is "a discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate." Tua definitely disagreed with BL, therefore it was an argument. I believe BL meant that it was not an argument because Tua's response had holes in it, but his statement was more rhetorical than literal (BL--NOT GARY, as you are not BL and the "there was no..." statement was not yours--correct me if my assumptions about what you meant by your statement are wrong).

keebs said:

Technically, an argument is "a discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate." Tua definitely disagreed with BL, therefore it was an argument. I believe BL meant that it was not an argument because Tua's response had holes in it, but his statement was more rhetorical than literal (BL--NOT GARY, as you are not BL and the "there was no..." statement was not yours--correct me if my assumptions about what you meant by your statement are wrong).

You like to play with words don't you keebs? 8-)

It seems to me that keebs thinks that it is sufficient to simply disagree with your opposition's view in a debate. Yeah, playing word games, unless he really beleives a debate is just for disagreeing.

It seems to me that keebs thinks that it is sufficient to simply disagree with your opposition's view in a debate. Yeah, playing word games, unless he really beleives a debate is just for disagreeing.

Don't blame me, blame http://www.dictionary.com.

And yes, I love to play with words, if someone plays with words first (and sometimes on my own accord). :-D

"an argument is a set of statements intended to establish a proposition, it's not just saying no it isn't."
"Yes it is!"
"No it isn't!"

lol....

I think the debate is stuck.

Tua said:
That's cuz a certain SOMEBODY, not going to name any names....*cough* ...(Tua)..... *cough*....hasn't been posting!

Will it ever EVOLVE? I think BL is more CREATIVE than Tua.

:roll: :roll:

Once a fruit fly; always a fruit fly..... unless you insert INTELLIGENCE into the equation.

I hope Tua posts the conclusion quickly to the last topic and starts the next one...

I know I took a while once over the weekend, but this debate will go on forever if each reply lasts several days.

BL

Blue-Lightning said:
I hope Tua posts the conclusion quickly to the last topic and starts the next one...

I know I took a while once over the weekend, but this debate will go on forever if each reply lasts several days.

BL

Not to mention the fact that it allows the lovley spectators to digress back to the usual poking. :smt064 8-)

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
[quote="Blue-Lightning":biggrin12b4]I hope Tua posts the conclusion quickly to the last topic and starts the next one...

BL

Not to mention the fact that it allows the lovley spectators to digress back to the usual poking. :smt064 8-)[/quote:biggrin12b4]
I think that's inevitable.

:smt071 :smt072 :smt067 :smt103 :smt068 :smt103 :smt075

Well then. My teams ready. 8-)

tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif

I'd still rather see a comment on the debate rather than the usual bickering. 8-)

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
Well then. My teams ready. 8-)

tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif
tank.gif

I'd still rather see a comment on the debate rather than the usual bickering. 8-)
:smt107 :smt107 You win. :smt107 :smt107

:smt081 :smt081

K, back to the debate.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back