Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Pregnant woman fired for not marrying fiance

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Where does it say? And the verse you gave about following the law of the land, doesn't really work here because marriages are holy unions, not a secular entity (well, to some people they are a secular entity) but I'm talking about what God constitutes what a marriage is.
Look at post #80.

Look at post #80.
My post countered that post.

My point is, when we look to the law of the land, marriage is a secular entity, but when we look at God and how he defines marriage and following His Way - that is a holy union. However, I understand that people are married with a license and also have committed their lives and marriages to God.

It tells you the Scripture on post #80.Got questions which there is a website listed below.
Except those verses don't really say you have to get a secular marriage license. Now if it were illegal to live together as in a marriage without getting the secular license, then those verses would apply. But that's not the case. At least I know of nowhere in the US where it is still required by law for a couple to get a secular marriage license in order to live together. There is no requirement that as Christians we have to do everything the law says we can do, just that we do not violate the law. Therefore I don't see that scripture as applicable to the question at hand.

Except those verses don't really say you have to get a secular marriage license. Now if it were illegal to live together as in a marriage without getting the secular license, then those verses would apply. But that's not the case. At least I know of nowhere in the US where it is still required by law for a couple to get a secular marriage license in order to live together. There is no requirement that as Christians we have to do everything the law says we can do, just that we do not violate the law. Therefore I don't see that scripture as applicable to the question at hand.
That is your choice.

Once again, I want to make it clear that I for one am not saying Christians should fornicate or commit adultery. My contention is only that in scripture as it applies to New Testament Christians there is no requirement that we have to get a secular marriage license in order to God to recognize a couple as married. Should we get one? Sure. As has been said, why not? But is it required by God? I don't see that in scripture.

Once again, I want to make it clear that I for one am not saying Christians should fornicate or commit adultery. My contention is only that in scripture as it applies to New Testament Christians there is no requirement that we have to get a secular marriage license in order to God to recognize a couple as married. Should we get one? Sure. As has been said, why not? But is it required by God? I don't see that in scripture.
That is between you and God.

She worked in the nursery. I have a feeling that was about as visible as my position as a sound technician. One Sunday one of the regularly attending ladies suddenly said to me (Hi! It's so nice to see you've come back to church here after being gone for so long!) I had to point out to her that I hadn't missed a Sunday in over 2 years since taking over the sound tech job. Not exactly highly visible (at least not until I make a mistake. Then they nail me to the big cross behind the lectern for it.)
I think it said that the church has a day care center and that is where she was employed. Not in the Sunday nursery care.
The pastor said every employee gets and signs a handbook, she said she never got one. If she sign it then that page would be in her employee personnel file.

so there is no US law that says people must marry ... so romans would not apply
Exactly. Neither does 1 Pet 3:17 (ESV) "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor." These passages would only apply if the law required the license to cohabitate as a married couple. It does not.

Yes, I believe she was still living with him. But God only claimed fornication and adultery are sins, not living in the same house. When we use "living together" as a euphemism for having sex outside of marriage we are judging unrighteously. I think the best way would be for one of them to live somewhere else until they are married (It doesn't have to take THAT long to plan a wedding) if they can. But if that's not practical right now (financial reasons or whatever) we have to understand that we have no more right to assume they are sinning in their house by having sex anymore than we have the right to assume they are committing any other sin behind closed doors. We also have to remember that not living in the same house rarely prevents any couple from having sex together (whether in sin or not) when they want to.

Added: See Jason, more of the cop logic coming out! :biggrin2
I find it somewhat amusing. On one hand we say that if you fornicate with a person you become one flesh in God's eyes. On the other hand we say if you don't have a piece of paper that says you are married than you are not one flesh in God's eyes.
Correct me if I have misrepresented these beliefs.

I find it somewhat amusing. On one hand we say that if you fornicate with a person you become one flesh in God's eyes. On the other hand we say if you don't have a piece of paper that says you are married than you are not one flesh in God's eyes.
I haven't seen anyone say that "if you fornicate with a person you become one flesh in God's eyes" (and I certainly wouldn't agree with that!) I saw some efforts by some members to twist around some other member's statements to try to imply that's what they were saying, but that wasn't the case.

I think that is the jest of this whole thread

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back