Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Qualifications For Rapture?

XTruth

As we all know, not everyone will be raptured on earth, so there are conditions. I'm not saying any believer will or will not be left behind, but these seem to be the biblical conditions / qualifications to be a part of the rapture.

1) Be in Christ (1 Thes.4:14, 16; 2 Cor.5:17-18)

2) Be Christ’s (1 Cor.15:23; Gal.5:24)

3) Be blessed and holy (Rev.20:4-6; Heb.12:14)

4) Be good (Jn.5:28-29)

5) Be worthy (Lk.21:36)

6) Be in the Church (1 Cor.12:13; Eph.1:20-23; 4:4-6; 5:27; Col.1:18, 24)

7) Be pure (1 Jn.3:2-3)

8) Be without spot or wrinkle (Eph.5:27)

9) Live and walk in the Spirit (Gal.5:19-21)

10) Walk in the light (1 Jn.1:7; Col.2:6)

As we all know, not everyone will be raptured on earth, so there are conditions. I'm not saying any believer will or will not be left behind, but these seem to be the biblical conditions / qualifications to be a part of the rapture.

1) Be in Christ (1 Thes.4:14, 16; 2 Cor.5:17-18)

2) Be Christ’s (1 Cor.15:23; Gal.5:24)

3) Be blessed and holy (Rev.20:4-6; Heb.12:14)

4) Be good (Jn.5:28-29)

5) Be worthy (Lk.21:36)

6) Be in the Church (1 Cor.12:13; Eph.1:20-23; 4:4-6; 5:27; Col.1:18, 24)

7) Be pure (1 Jn.3:2-3)

8) Be without spot or wrinkle (Eph.5:27)

9) Live and walk in the Spirit (Gal.5:19-21)

10) Walk in the light (1 Jn.1:7; Col.2:6)

i think that qualifies for all to be in the kingdom whether in the trib or not. i am not a pre-tribber as theres no promise for the church to be taken from the wrath of satan or man.

1 Thessalonians 5:6-9 NKJV
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,

I think the point is that every person that calls themselves a Christian prepare themselves and get right with God today because one never knows what could happen tomorrow. While it is great to plan for the future we have to live in the present too. If a Christian really lives for Christ each day and knows that they are saved then there are no worries about qualifying for a Rapture. It is the Holy Spirit that changes Christian people to be more and more like Christ. A Christian that became a Christian a day before the Rapture would still get Raptured.

As for the Pre-Trib Rapture here are some great sermons:

In this second part of our study on the Pre-Tribulation rapture of the body of Christ, we look at 12 reasons why Christians will not have to endure 7 years of God's judgment and wrath. In this sermon we look at the first 6 reasons:
SermonAudio.com - The Pre-Trib. Rapture 2

In this final message, we will look at the remaining 6 reasons why Christians will be raptured away BEFORE the "time of Jacob's trouble". (Jeremiah 30:7)
SermonAudio.com - The Pre-Trib. Rapture 3

I think the point is that every person that calls themselves a Christian prepare themselves and get right with God today because one never knows what could happen tomorrow. While it is great to plan for the future we have to live in the present too. If a Christian really lives for Christ each day and knows that they are saved then there are no worries about qualifying for a Rapture. It is the Holy Spirit that changes Christian people to be more and more like Christ. A Christian that became a Christian a day before the Rapture would still get Raptured.

In this second part of our study on the Pre-Tribulation rapture of the body of Christ, we look at 12 reasons why Christians will not have to endure 7 years of God's judgment and wrath. In this sermon we look at the first 6 reasons:

In this final message, we will look at the remaining 6 reasons why Christians will be raptured away BEFORE the "time of Jacob's trouble". (Jeremiah 30:7)
you know the in your site jesus is savior.com they should list schofield. if that guy was alive and taught the pre-trib.it wouldnt be accepted. divorced three times.

that is one of the reasons i dont buy pre-trib. the other is historically when isreal was being rebelious and killing the ot prophets, God let that happen, he didnt wisk them away,but if you notice when he brought judgments upon isreal by other nations,none of the prophets were touched.

1 Thessalonians 5:6-9 NKJV
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
God did not appoint us to the wrath of God,however the tribulation that Jesus said would precede His return is the wrath of satan not God.

No offense meant to your teachers but I am convinced that it is not possible for anyone to defend the pre-trib position without dishonest manipulation of the scriptures. The bible simply does not contain a pre-trib rapture, the rapture is exactly the opposite of pre-trib, it is post trib, because there is no pre-trib in the bible and the bible teaches a post-trib(opposite)it takes dishonesty in order to produce something exactly the opposite of what is actually in the bible. I have studied this part of the bible from every conceivable point,there is no pre-trib rapture but there is a post-trib rapture.

God did not appoint us to the wrath of God,however the tribulation that Jesus said would precede His return is the wrath of satan not God.

Tribulation, or Jacob's trouble is a God-appointed time. The last half of the Tribulation before the Return of Christ is where the world will experience God's wrath, as in the Bowl Judgments. It intertwines with what the Satanic Antichrist will have poured out on Israel and any who claim Christ during that time.

No offense meant to your teachers but I am convinced that it is not possible for anyone to defend the pre-trib position without dishonest manipulation of the scriptures. The bible simply does not contain a pre-trib rapture, the rapture is exactly the opposite of pre-trib, it is post trib, because there is no pre-trib in the bible and the bible teaches a post-trib(opposite)it takes dishonesty in order to produce something exactly the opposite of what is actually in the bible. I have studied this part of the bible from every conceivable point,there is no pre-trib rapture but there is a post-trib rapture.

I have studied this also over many years and I believe in a pre-Trib rapture. It doesn't mean that either of us or any of us are scripturally wrong, either. It is an interpretation based on information that is deliberately vague. No position impedes one's spiritual walk, unless one allows it, nor does it affect one's salvation.

Therefore to categorically call out anyone who holds any position (post, mid or pre-Trib) as dishonest and manipulative of scripture is unnecessary.

you know the in your site jesus is savior.com they should list schofield. if that guy was alive and taught the pre-trib.it wouldnt be accepted. divorced three times.

that is one of the reasons i dont buy pre-trib. the other is historically when isreal was being rebelious and killing the ot prophets, God let that happen, he didnt wisk them away,but if you notice when he brought judgments upon isreal by other nations,none of the prophets were touched.
I am not a rapture believer, every part of my soul knows this is a twisted dangerous theory. Why would Jesus over and over again prepare us for the false one? what on earth kind of arrogance would think they are above the martyrs over the centuries who have died for their faith? it is an honor to be a soldier of Christ and fight the good fight till the end! and hey if I'm wrong goody for me! :biglolbut if some feel the Lord is going to take them away from all this, whoa what a let down that will be. We are to prepare to stand up to the false one that is what are faith and the teachings are all about.

I am not a rapture believer, every part of my soul knows this is a twisted dangerous theory. Why would Jesus over and over again prepare us for the false one? what on earth kind of arrogance would think they are above the martyrs over the centuries who have died for their faith? it is an honor to be a soldier of Christ and fight the good fight till the end! and hey if I'm wrong goody for me! :biglolbut if some feel the Lord is going to take them away from all this, whoa what a let down that will be. We are to prepare to stand up to the false one that is what are faith and the teachings are all about.

What is dangerous about the Pre-Trib rapture interpretation? If I am wrong, I will overcome by the blood of the Lamb. If I am right, I will attend the wedding feast of the Lamb.

The argument concerning martyrs is not worthy. Martyrdom is an actual calling. these people have their great reward. If you could ask them now if they would go through it again for Christ, they would give you a wholehearted YES!

If the Rapture is near, many of us are called to that. To be alive at such a time as this is also a type of calling.

What is dangerous about the Pre-Trib rapture interpretation? If I am wrong, I will overcome by the blood of the Lamb. If I am right, I will attend the wedding feast of the Lamb.

The argument concerning martyrs is not worthy. Martyrdom is an actual calling. these people have their great reward. If you could ask them now if they would go through it again for Christ, they would give you a wholehearted YES!

If the Rapture is near, many of us are called to that. To be alive at such a time as this is also a type of calling.
I respect your opinion but I don't buy it not one bit. I just know it is false teaching. I can't articulate how I know but every part of my being knows it is a very dangerous theory. I want to fight the battle here! that is what I feel I am meant to do.

I am not a rapture believer, every part of my soul knows this is a twisted dangerous theory.
I agree that there will be no rapture. The idea of the rapture - understood in terms of people being taken off the earth - is largely a recent North American idea.

I have a number of arguments to present against the conventional rapture model. Perhaps these will help you. I will post them soon....

I respect your opinion but I don't buy it not one bit. I just know it is false teaching. I can't articulate how I know but every part of my being knows it is a very dangerous theory. I want to fight the battle here! that is what I feel I am meant to do.

There is nothing false about any of the three interpretations. There is nothing dangerous about any of them. There is no battle to be fought---that is my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

If the Rapture is near, many of us are called to that. To be alive at such a time as this is also a type of calling..

What calling? What I don't get is what makes people who believe this so special that the God Lord is going to rapture you away from the battle to come? isn't that what we are taught when we are delivered up to the false one and allow the Holy Spirit to speak for us? Why would the Bible teach about the false one and his teachings if he is going to pull you away? how can you be a strong witness to your faith if your not given the test of all tests?

What about the poor slobs not raptured? don't they need the help of those whose faith in Christ will help them through? It doesn't make a lick of sense.

We are to wear all the Armour of God! that is battle talk to me.:yes

I have studied this also over many years and I believe in a pre-Trib rapture. It doesn't mean that either of us or any of us are scripturally wrong, either. It is an interpretation based on information that is deliberately vague. No position impedes one's spiritual walk, unless one allows it, nor does it affect one's salvation.

Therefore to categorically call out anyone who holds any position (post, mid or pre-Trib) as dishonest and manipulative of scripture is unnecessary.
If anything, I believe in a MID-trip rapture - and I'm kinda with Drew, I'm not sure of the whole "Rapture" thing anyway.

But in any case, I agree with Alabaster's post as quoted.

I believe that the scriptures do not teach that there will be any kind of rapture event involving believers leaving the surface of the earth.

Paul’s description of living believers being snatched up in the air in 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 is, I suggest, a metaphorical rendering of what he says in two other passages: 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 and Phillipians 3:20-21. Here is the 1 Corinthians 15 passage:

51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."

When will this happen? At Jesus’s return. From earlier in the same passage:

For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,

The reference to “being made alive†clearly maps to the raising of the dead to an imperishable state. Now here is the 1 Thessalonians 4 passage:

For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever

Clearly the same scenario is being described in both texts. Note the structural parallels. In simplified form we have:

1 Cor 15: Return of Jesus à Trumpet à resurrection of dead à transformation of the living
1 Thess 4: Return of Jesus à Trumpet à resurrection of dead à catching up of the living

It would seem rather clear that there can only be a single “fate†for those who are alive when Jesus returns, the trumpet is sounded, and the dead are raised. Granted, it is characterized somewhat differently in the 1 Thess 4 text as in the 1 Cor 15 text. But, given the trumpet is present in both contexts and the resurrection of the dead is present in both contexts, and the overall scenario is about what happens when Jesus returns, we really must conclude that there is an equivalence between “being transformed†(as per the 1 Cor 15 material) and “being caught in the air†(as per the 1 Thess text). There are simply too many factors in common between the 1 Cor 15 context and the 1 Thess 4 context to allow us to see the “transformation†as being an event other than the same event described as being “caught up in the airâ€.

If the standard “rapture†view is to be sustained in respect to the 1 Thess 4 passage, we are left with the following puzzle: We have 2 different events (the “rapture†of 1 Thess 4 and the transformation of 1 Cor 15) both occasioned by a return of Jesus, both accompanied by a trumpet blast, and both accompanied by the raising of the dead.

I suspect that the way the “rapture theologians†get around this is to posit that there are two “returns†of Jesus – one to rapture people away, followed a later “final†return. And there are two trumpet blasts – one at each return. Finally, there must be two raisings of the dead, one at each return.

That sounds mighty forced and awkward and really becomes highly unrealistic upon analysis. If different “return†events are really being described in both passages, then the 1 Thess 4 “raising of the dead†must precede the 1 Corinthians 15 raising of the dead, if rapture theology is to work. Note the implications of this:

1. In the 1 Thess 4 account, it is only those believers who are alive at the time who are raptured. So the dead who get raised are “left behind†along with those who are not raptured. This is a decidedly odd scenario – the living believers are raptured and the world chugs along with two categories of human beings - the resurrected dead and people, who were neither raptured nor raised from the dead. Do you really think that is sensible?

2. In the 1 Corinthians 15 account, describing Jesus’ 2nd “second coming†on the view I am critiquing, Paul tells us that the dead are raised. Fine. But if there has been a prior raising of the dead, then who are those raised at this 2nd return of Jesus? Presumably those who have died since the first “raising of the dead†– as per the 1 Thess 4 material. But Paul has told us the general resurrection sequence in 1 Cor 15 – first Jesus, then when he returns, everybody else. So has Paul forgotten about those raised at the first return of Jesus (the 1 Thess 4) version?

This whole scenario seems surpassingly contrived and downright silly. To be fair, perhaps I have misrepresented what rapture believers actually believe to be the case. Please advice me if this is so and / or comment on the model I have ascribed to those who accept the rapture model.

I suggest that the raising of the dead is a single discrete event in time. It only happens once. So this really does force us to see the “transformation†as being the same event as the “catching up of the livingâ€. Paul is using the “caught up in the air†image to represent the transformation that will take place in the bodies of those who are alive at the time of the resurrection.

Note how the Phillipians 3 text endorses the 1 Corinthians 15 text in respect to what actually happens to those alive at the time of Jesus’ return (if there is only return) – they are transformed, not snatched away:

20But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body

Both the 1 Corinthians 15 and the Phillipians 3 texts are asserting that those who are alive at Jesus’ appearing will be changed or transformed so that their mortal bodies will become incorruptible, deathless. This is all that Paul intends to say in Thessalonians, but he uses poetic imagery, from biblical and political sources, to enhance his message. Little did he know how his rich metaphors would be misunderstood two millennia later.

In ater posts, I will show that there is sound Biblical precedent to understand the “caught up in the clouds†image as specifically metaphorical.

Thank you Drew for that very clear answer. I should use more bible references. Another good reference my favorite actually:

Ezekiel 13:4 "O people of Israel these prophets of yours are like jackals digging around the ruins. 5. They have done nothing to strengthen the breaks in the walls around the nation. They have not helped it to stand firm in battle on the day of the LORD. 6. Instead they have lied and said "My message is from the LORD even though the LORD never sent them. And yet they expect him to fulfill their prophecies!

I suggest that one reason for the development of the belief in a "rapture" is the misunderstanding of metaphorical language. There is a long tradition of the use of such language in the scriptures - the Hebrew writers "knew a good metaphor when they saw one".

The problem is that many in the 21st century have read these metaphors and taken them literally. Thus, just as one example, people read the "caught up in the air" statement from 1 Thess 4 and take it literally. I think it is clearly a metaphor, although that argument needs to be made.

This same "reading a metaphor as literal" problem also leads to other errors about the end times, where texts expressed using lurid cosmological imagery (e.g. stars falling to earth, earthquakes, etc.) are taken literally. Instead, I suggest these are metaphors, intended to invest what are actually "commonplace" events - like political changes - with their theological significance.

You might be a "preterist" and not know it. This is, to some degree at least, true of me - I believe that there are a number of New Testament prophecies that were fufilled in the first century, whereas many, perhaps most, Christians believe such prophecies remain to be fulfilled.

In any event, the correctness of "preterism" and / or its variants should be decided on calm Biblical / historical argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back