Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question About Mary

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really.... So which bible is Sola scriptura???

Which one of these Bibles contain Sola scriptura

1. KJV Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

2. ASV Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

3. NIV Isa 45:7 I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.

4. ESV Isa 45:7 I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.

5. NASB Isa 45:7 The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

So which Bible reads as Sola scriptura.... The one that reads Evil? perhaps disaster? or may be calamity??? They all have very very different meanings!!!

KJV Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

ASV Gal 2:16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed on Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

NIV Gal 2:16 know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

ESV Gal 2:16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

CLV Gal 2:16 having perceived that a man is not being justified by works of law, except alone through the faith of Christ Jesus, we also believe in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by the faith of Christ and not by works of law, seeing that by works of law shall no flesh at all be justified."

So again which Bible reads as Sola Scriptura.... The one that reads Faith in Jesus? or the ones that reads Faith of Jesus???

My friend... You don't have the word of God... much less "Sola scriptura" !!! You have a simple translation of the Word of God... translated by bias men!!! My Greek text... without the translation of men reads... "Faith of Jesus" .... NOT "Faith in Jesus."

Sola scriptura.... If you only knew... LOL
Paul

So I am supposed to accept your on-the-fly translation of a couple of phrases from ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek into English as proof of sola scriptura? You're either out of your mind or joking. Or both.

And, for the record, I am not your friend.

So I am supposed to accept your on-the-fly translation of a couple of phrases from ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek into English as proof of sola scriptura? You're either out of your mind or joking. Or both.

And, for the record, I am not your friend.
I simply asked you to pick which Bible translation was Sola Scriptura... as they were different in their translation...

Sorry I made you look stupid!!!
I'm sad you won't be my friend! Friends tell the truth!
Paul

They treat her very similarly to a deity and then say "Oh, no, no, she isn't actually a deity." But one can't deny the logical consequences of one's position by simply saying it isn't so. I said "not technically", but that's just their claim.
Agreed, Calling someone the Mother of God... Places her right up there as God!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (paragraph 509) teaches, “Mary is truly ‘Mother of God’ since she is the mother of the eternal Son of God made man, who is God himself.” The solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, is a holy day of obligation, and they celebrate this feast every year on January 1 in honor of her.

Sad... but true.
Paul

Agreed, Calling someone the Mother of God... Places her right up there as God!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (paragraph 509) teaches, “Mary is truly ‘Mother of God’ since she is the mother of the eternal Son of God made man, who is God himself.” The solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, is a holy day of obligation, and they celebrate this feast every year on January 1 in honor of her.

Sad... but true.
Paul

Calling Mary the Mother of God is actually a Christological statement.

I simply asked you to pick which Bible translation was Sola Scriptura... as they were different in their translation...

Sorry I made you look stupid!!!
I'm sad you won't be my friend! Friends tell the truth!
Paul
I accept your apology!

If you understood sola scriptura, you wouldn't make such a strange statement. Get back to me when you understand a) sola scriptura and b) the principles of translation.

Where does it say that it isn't? If not the Bible, what else is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian? Church doctrine? The word of priests? The Pope? It is a typical Catholic tactic to minimize the truth of God's word so that false doctrine can be added onto it.

Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it [the word of God] is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart."

It doesn't, but that isn't the question. You keep saying "Sola scriptura". The question has been with regard to the scripture you're using which conforms that.

Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart."

Or go by jaybo's personal and fallible opinion of what the Bible means.

Its not failable.

The most trusted source we all agree with is the scriptures.

You claim Mary is ever virgin so to prove that as truth you need scripture but it's not in scripture. Even if Jesus had no brothers still does not prove Mary was ever virgin. The Bible does use the original word for brother as Jesus had brothers and you can twist it to try say it could mean cousin but thats not guaranteed and also as I said still would not mean Mary was ever virgin just Jesus had no brothers and they were his cousins.

The cousins or brothers argument doesn't work and a waste of time because it doesn't prove anything to do with Mary being ever virgin. Its irrelevant. Its only if Jesus had brothers or not. That's all the argument is and doesn't mean anything. And I heard people say the excuse for Jesus having brothers is it was from another marriage, just excuses with no scriptual fact. People will do anything to twist scripture to make it suits there beliefs.

She is called a virgin because she had a child before having personal relations with her husband. that is all. She is a virgin in the scripture as prophecy and to give birth to Christ. That's all the proof is. Nothing about ever virgin that's just a personal belief not based on scripture.

Last edited:
I accept your apology!

If you understood sola scriptura, you wouldn't make such a strange statement. Get back to me when you understand a) sola scriptura and b) the principles of translation.
I'm glad your not sore for me making you look Stupid...
Knowing that Sola scriptura, means by scripture alone... thus the meaning by scripture alone, is a Stupid Belief given that we have many many different scriptures over the years that do not agree... Glad you see sola... doesn't quite fit

For example my NOVUM TESTAMENTUM GRAECE is in it's 27th edition... thus impossible for at least 26 of those editions to be Sola scriptura, meaning by scripture alone, as there are 27 different scripture versions! Now the United Bible Society only has 4 different editions of Sola scriptura... So you do the Math.... Which of the 4 editions of the USB text and which of the 27 editions of the NOVUM TESTAMENTUM GRAECE is

Do you even understand what biblical scripture is... Sola Scriptura?
Paul

Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart."
If by scripture you mean the book commonly referred to as the "Holy Bible" I don't see where Hebrews 14:2 says that it is the sole place which contains the supreme being's words.

Its not failable.

The most trusted source we all agree with is the scriptures.

You claim Mary is ever virgin so to prove that as truth you need scripture but it's not in scripture. Even if Jesus had no brothers still does not prove Mary was ever virgin. The Bible does use the original word for brother as Jesus had brothers and you can twist it to try say it could mean cousin but thats not guaranteed and also as I said still would not mean Mary was ever virgin just Jesus had no brothers and they were his cousins.

The cousins or brothers argument doesn't work and a waste of time because it doesn't prove anything to do with Mary being ever virgin. Its irrelevant. Its only if Jesus had brothers or not. That's all the argument is and doesn't mean anything. And I heard people say the excuse for Jesus having brothers is it was from another marriage, just excuses with no scriptual fact. People will do anything to twist scripture to make it suits there beliefs.

She is called a virgin because she had a child before having personal relations with her husband. that is all. She is a virgin in the scripture as prophecy and to give birth to Christ. That's all the proof is. Nothing about ever virgin that's just a personal belief not based on scripture.

Well said, but I doubt that Mungo will pay attention. His mind is closed; he believes whatever the Catholic denomination tells him to believe.

I'm glad your not sore for me making you look Stupid...
Knowing that Sola scriptura, means by scripture alone... thus the meaning by scripture alone, is a Stupid Belief given that we have many many different scriptures over the years that do not agree... Glad you see sola... doesn't quite fit

For example my NOVUM TESTAMENTUM GRAECE is in it's 27th edition... thus impossible for at least 26 of those editions to be Sola scriptura, meaning by scripture alone, as there are 27 different scripture versions! Now the United Bible Society only has 4 different editions of Sola scriptura... So you do the Math.... Which of the 4 editions of the USB text and which of the 27 editions of the NOVUM TESTAMENTUM GRAECE is

Do you even understand what biblical scripture is... Sola Scriptura?
Paul
Obviously you have no understanding of sola scriptura. If you think that the variety of English translations has anything to do with this principle then there is no point in further discussion.

If by scripture you mean the book commonly referred to as the "Holy Bible" I don't see where Hebrews 14:2 says that it is the sole place which contains the supreme being's words.
a) There is no such verse as Hebrews 14:2
b) Hebrews 4:12 is obviously not "the sole place which contains the supreme being's words". The entire Bible -- Genesis to Revelation -- contains the supreme being's words. That's why it's called "God's word".

Well said, but I doubt that Mungo will pay attention. His mind is closed; he believes whatever the Catholic denomination tells him to believe.

Even if Mary was ever virgin still wouldn't mean anything special. Many people are ever virgin. It doesn't make anyone more important. Its not a sin for a husband and wife to have a baby.

Mary was pure and a virgin who gave birth to Christ, aside from that why are some people so obsessed with her private life having to stay a virgin is something important. If Mary and Jospeh had relations what would be so wrong with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back