Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question About Mary

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Rev 12:
Is the dragon - Satan -real or not? I believe he is real.
Is the "male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron" - Jesus real or not? I believe he is real.
Is the woman who gave birth to the child real or not? I believe she is real.
Moreover she is the mother of the child, who is Jesus. Therefore she must be Mary.
Rev 12 says about this woman (Mary) that her offspring are "those those who keep the commandments of God and bear testimony to Jesus."
Yes, there is a lot of imagery. The woman can be seen to represent Israel and the Church. It's called fusion imagery and is common in the Bible. But the woman is real, gave birth to a real child.

There is no Catholic mythology but sound interpretation of the Bible.
So a third of the stars fell from heaven? And the dragon was present, waiting for Jesus to be born? Funny how Luke forgot to mention these "insignificant" events!

There would be no life on Earth if Revelation was anything but John's imagery. All of Revelation was a supernatural vision given to John. It is all symbolic, much of it written "in code" about the Roman empire.

If you interpret it in any other manner, it is Catholic mythology.

So a third of the stars fell from heaven? And the dragon was present, waiting for Jesus to be born? Funny how Luke forgot to mention these "insignificant" events!

There would be no life on Earth if Revelation was anything but John's imagery. All of Revelation was a supernatural vision given to John. It is all symbolic, much of it written "in code" about the Roman empire.

If you interpret it in any other manner, it is Catholic mythology.

I agreed there was a lot of imagery. But it's not all imagery.
And any imagery is about something.
John wasn't just off his head on magic mushrooms when he wrote Revelation.

I wonder if Mary was old at the time of Christ. I mean if her cousin Elizabeth was known as old age I can't see how Mary would have been a much younger woman. And it say as also Elizabeth in her old age, so could that reference Mary was also old?, maybe, maybe not. Cousins are not usually far apart in years like 60 years.

Last edited:
There was a satanist, Protestant and Catholic, they all got together to make a forum and called it Christian😂🤣that's the best one! Can't think of a better joke. Well, cin cin! Enjoy what's coming. Keep your eyes on the news and know God's 👁 is on you. 😁

Protestant commentators see Jesus addressing Mary as “Woman” as a rebuke. But this is not. Jesus would never be so rude to his mother as to rebuke her, particularly in public. It would be breaking the 4th commandment. And Mary does not act as rebuked. He means something special by the term “Woman”. In fact one commentator says there is not one occasion in ancient literature of a son addressing his mother as “Woman”
I didn't say that He rebuked her. In fact, I also said that the use of the term "woman" was possibly a term of respect.

I wonder if Mary was old at the time of Christ. I mean if her cousin Elizabeth was known as old age I can't see how Mary would have been a much younger woman. And it say as also Elizabeth in her old age, so could that reference Mary was also old?, maybe, maybe not. Cousins are not usually far apart in years like 60 years.
I believe that Mary was a teenager when she gave birth to Christ. That was the typical age for new mothers in those days.

As I listen to Catholic radio and hear what other Catholics have to say, I am more and more convinced that the Catholic church raises Mary to the level of deity. Am I right? Is it Catholic teaching that Mary is divine? Thanks.
Hello WIP, It is in reference to God only. "Divine" is a word that is applied to the Creator, a Supreme Being. The Virgin Mary does not qualify for such a title.

Walter

Hello WIP, It is in reference to God only. "Divine" is a word that is applied to the Creator, a Supreme Being. The Virgin Mary does not qualify for such a title.

Walter
I agree but my question is not whether or not Mary is divine but what the Catholic church teaches and what the church members portray about Mary. I can't be the only one in the world that gets this impression from listening and seeing what Catholics say and do.

I agree but my question is not whether or not Mary is divine but what the Catholic church teaches and what the church members portray about Mary. I can't be the only one in the world that gets this impression from listening and seeing what Catholics say and do.

Where does the Catholic Church teach that Mary is divine?

I'm glad that you agree, but maybe it is a good idea to search the scriptures for your own use as to what to me you are doing but to me again as you have said, you are not the only one that gets that impression.

Walter

If Mary was so important don't you think Paul would have spoken about her, or the other NT writers, and she would have been exalted in the gospels?. But there is nothing.

I'm interested to know what scriptures are used to exalt Mary and the reasons why .Those who think she's divine or even those who don't think she divine yet still exalt her with all prayers and praise, why and what makes her so special. I'm interested to know.

Last edited:
If Mary was so important don't you think Paul would have spoken about her, or the other NT writers, and she would have been exalted in the gospels?. But there is nothing.

I'm interested to know what scriptures are used to exalt Mary and the reasons why .Those who think she's divine or even those who don't think she divine yet still exalt her with all prayers and praise, why and what makes her so special. I'm interested to know.

You don't think that being the Mother of God makes her special?
How many other women in history have given birth to a divine being?

Or perhaps you don't think Jesus is not God - just another human, no-one special.

You don't think that being the Mother of God makes her special?
How many other women in history have given birth to a divine being?

Or perhaps you don't think Jesus is not God - just another human, no-one special.
She is special because she was chosen by God to give birth to Jesus, but she is not divine, ever-virgin, to be worshiped, prayed to, nor should statues of her and the other ":saints" be idolized.

She is special because she was chosen by God to give birth to Jesus, but she is not divine, ever-virgin, to be worshiped, prayed to, nor should statues of her and the other ":saints" be idolized.
I agree she is not divine or to be worshipped but she is ever-virgin and she can be prayed to.
I agree that statues should not be idolised.

I agree she is not divine or to be worshipped but she is ever-virgin and she can be prayed to.
I agree that statues should not be idolised.
The Bible says in several places that Jesus had brothers. Without twisting the meaning of the words to fit your doctrine, were they also conceived by the Holy Spirit or did Mary and Joseph have intercourse? (There are no other reasonable explanations.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back