Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question on the perspective of God as a result of Calvinist doctrine

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes you advocate works salvation, its very sly, but its there.
You have redefined "salvation by works" from what writers like Paul intended.

You basically are saying like many do, faith is a requirement for salvation.
To claim that people are saved (have eternal life) but posses no "faith" is a bizarre claim that runs contrary to scripture:

Ephesians 2:8-9 [NKJV] 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
  • SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH ... You cannot exclude FAITH from Ephesians 2 any more than you can add WORKS.
Romans 10:8-10 [NKJV] 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
  • Neither CONFESSION nor BELIEF would come without FAITH, and without CONFESSION and BELIEF, there is no Righteousness or Salvation. One cannot exclude FAITH and arrive at SALVATION.

Not surprisingly, if this discussion were to continue for weeks and weeks, we would still not reach resolution and that isnt profitable for either side. I did not expect to nor set out to "win over" anyone on this forum. By posting here, I knew from the start it would be a bit like someone trying to sell Ohio State t-shirts in Ann Arbor, MI - not likely to attract any takers. However, the discussions were interesting and while I strongly disagree with Calvinist theology, I appreciate those taking the time to engage in conversation. It caused me to look more closely at scripture and stretched me in answering challenges from multiple people.

To sum up my parting thoughts, I wholeheartedly believe every word of the KJV because I believe every word is pure (Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. 6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.) and preserved (Matt 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.). Based on our discussions, I believe you would all say you believe the Bible as well. Our diversion comes in our take on what the Bible says.

Throughout this entire thread, I have tried to convey the principle to consider your doctrine and what it portrays God to be - does that portrayal of God align completely with ALL scriptural descriptions of God, ALL his attributes? Does one or two attributes overpower the others in your doctrine making it out of balance (Proverbs 11:1 A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.)? If within your doctrine, God can't be 100% merciful, 100% just, 100% holy, 100% love, etc. then that is a red flag that something in the doctrine is off and somewhere, somehow scripture had been misinterpeted or misapplied.

Bible study isn't easy. We can't simply read scripture and understand every nuance of doctrine and application. 2 Timothy 2:15 says , Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Things to note here -
We must study to show ourselves approved unto God. This implies that if we dont study, we wont be approved unto God.​
It also calls those who study workmen - Study is hard work.​
Those that work dont need to be ashamed - again implying that those that don't do the work will be ashamed.​
Rightly dividing the word of truth - Perhaps the most important part. The command to rightly divide means wrongly dividing is possible. There are rules to Bible study that help protect from false doctrine. Be aware of context, the audience, the dispensational time period. If the time period in the passage isn't the church age, you'd better be careful not to wrongly apply something to our lives today - especially in the case of salvation. Because every word is pure, use the Bible to define itself. God is consistent in his use of langauge and concepts. Trace specific words and phrases throughout the word to shed light on passages of study, comparing scripture with scripture. (1Cor 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.)
I dont mean to lecture on methods of Bible study as if the topic is unknown to you and I am an expert. My intent here is to show that it isnt that I just disagree with Calvinism or don't believe the Bible as some have charged in this thread. I've been taught by trusted men who have done the work of 2Tim 2:15 and I've done my own work to confirm that teaching for myself. It is from that basis that I stand by my prior statements.​
These kinds of exchanges are useless in terms of helping the other side understand the opposite view. But it can hone one’s position.

I'm not in a snare. We both believe God does all the work in regards to salvation. You IMO have a semantics issue understanding what I am saying that seems insolvable ... so I will leave it at that.
And I say you have a Salvation by works issue, and only the Grace and Mercy of God can deliver you.

You have redefined "salvation by works" from what writers like Paul intended.

To claim that people are saved (have eternal life) but posses no "faith" is a bizarre claim that runs contrary to scripture:

Ephesians 2:8-9 [NKJV] 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
  • SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH ... You cannot exclude FAITH from Ephesians 2 any more than you can add WORKS.
Romans 10:8-10 [NKJV] 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
  • Neither CONFESSION nor BELIEF would come without FAITH, and without CONFESSION and BELIEF, there is no Righteousness or Salvation. One cannot exclude FAITH and arrive at SALVATION.
Salvation by works is quite simple, when you condition salvation, any part of it, on something man does.

Salvation by works is quite simple, when you condition salvation, any part of it, on something man does.
I agree ... but FAITH is something man HAS, not does. Furthermore, there is no MERIT on our part in having FAITH, since (Ephesians 2:8-9) that FAITH is also a GIFT FROM GOD!

[We also have the Blood of Christ ... but there is no WORK or personal MERIT involved in that, either.]

This does not align with God being love (I John 4:8, 16) and being just (Deut 32:4 and Isaiah 45:21). Further, the teaching of Irresistible Grace says that God “forces” faith upon those he has elected in order to cause them to believe on him and obtain salvation through his grace.

Thank you for clearly summing up the core of Calvinism.

Most Calvinist's havent quite understood that the term "elect" refers to the Jews.

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 2 Timothy 2:19

JLB

And I say you have a Salvation by works issue, and only the Grace and Mercy of God can deliver you.
What kind of works do you refer to?
1...The works of the Mosaic Law...circumcision, dietary rules, sabbath keeping, feast keeping, tithing, etc.?
2...Or repentance from sin, baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, enduring faithfully until the end, etc.?
3...Or doing good for those around you, abstaining from evil, and witnessing to others about God?,
One is out, but without two and three one is going to the lake of fire.

I agree ... but FAITH is something man HAS, not does. Furthermore, there is no MERIT on our part in having FAITH, since (Ephesians 2:8-9) that FAITH is also a GIFT FROM GOD!

[We also have the Blood of Christ ... but there is no WORK or personal MERIT involved in that, either.]
Man believes with the Faith he has, believing is something man does. You cant divorce the act of believing from Faith Heb 11:6

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

1 Pet 1:21

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

So if you condition salvation on your act of believing, thats works. Again works is when you condition salvation, any part of it on what you do.

Question, is a person Justified before God, based solely on Christs blood shed for them, prior to them having Faith and believing, in fact even while they are unregenerate ? Answer yes or no, then if you like explain why Thanks

"FAITH" ... He is referring to the "WORK" of having faith as a prerequisite to being saved.
In the light of calvinism, I understand his point.
But that light is sooo dim.
The only reason anyone ever proclaims calvinism and its "doesn't matter what you think or do, you are saved" tenets, is because they feel they are one of the lucky ones God picked out of the crowd...without telling them.
What is the point of making such a doctrine known?
God doesn't care.

Respectfully, is it necessary for you to "illustrate your faith" with "one king of works" before God can save you?

(That would be the issue that brightfame52 is taking 'issue' with.)
Yes, as Jesus said not to put the "candle under a bushel basket".
My salvation will be determined at the end of my life, not the middle of it.

Thank you for clearly summing up the core of Calvinism.

Most Calvinist's havent quite understood that the term "elect" refers to the Jews.
Where on CF do anti-FREE WILL folk go to just post "smack" about how terrible what other people believe is? It seems to be constant "OPEN SEASON" on people showing up to offer nothing constructive but to just VOMIT how much they hate Reformed Beliefs on any and every topic. Where do we go to express our utter contempt for those that reject the SOVEREIGNTY of GOD, reject the 5 SOLAS and reject the MONERGISM of SCRIPTURE?

Should we start to CARPET BOMB all of the NON-CALVINISM Theology Topics in an "eye for eye" guide to Justice?

Yes, as Jesus said not to put the "candle under a bushel basket".
My salvation will be determined at the end of my life, not the middle of it.
Cool with me ... he will strongly disagree.
Are you Catholic? (They hold that sort of view of justification/sanctification/salvation.)

Question, is a person Justified before God, based solely on Christs blood shed for them, prior to them having Faith and believing, in fact even while they are unregenerate ? Answer yes or no, then if you like explain why Thanks
You can't ask a Southern Baptist a question like that just before I have to rush off and give Platelets ...
I'll answer later tonight! 😉

You can't ask a Southern Baptist a question like that just before I have to rush off and give Platelets ...
I'll answer later tonight! 😉
Before God began creating the heaven, earth, the universe, and man He saw His elect in eternity as saved persons/people. Always has. He contemplated His elect as saved individuals. That's the only way God can see them.

Now, everyone, go have your supper and come back here for more Biblical truth from a Biblical Christian.

Me.

The answer for salvation, like so many of the BIG THINGS of God is …
Already and Not Yet”.

Our SALVATION has (present tense) a simultaneous PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE aspect to it.
  • PAST: God chose, purposed, made His plan, wrote names in the Book of Life before the foundation of the Earth. We were already saved in Christ before God said “Let there be light”. This “settled position” of God’s plan and purpose did not prevent the incarnation or the crucifixion or the resurrection. Around the First Century AD, we were also SAVED [past tense and again] in the finished work of Christ. Thus we were saved before we were ever born; before our great grandparents were born. “ALREADY”
  • PRESENT: Our status as having been “ALREADY SAVED” in no way prevented us from being born fallen and under the curse common to mankind. It did not exempt us from the status of “dead” and “enemy” described in Ephesians 2:1-3. Therefore, at some point between OUR birth and death, we were also “SAVED” [present tense] and Born from above and made a new man and given a new heart and sealed with His Holy Spirit as a “deposit guaranteeing an inheritance”. We ARE SAVED and have God’s Law written on our hearts. We are His masterwork with good works to do that He prepared in advance for us to walk in (Ephesians 2:10). We are being SANCTIFIED, becoming transformed more like Christ and having our faith FINISHED and PERFECTED. Thus we are at present both SAVED and BEING SAVED in the unfolding miracle of Already and Not Yet.
  • FUTURE: What we will become, we are not yet. However, our FUTURE GLORIFICATION is as certain as our selection according to the immutable plan of God according to the purpose of His desire was. He who has BEGUN a good work, WILL COMPLETE His good work in us. So we are NOT YET as saved as we will one day be. We will one day be GLORIFIED and we will be eternally WITH HIM, perfected in His presence and perfectly fit for the purpose of praising Him.
ALREADY and NOT YET.
The Baptist answer to that question.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back