Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Question

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Corn Pop

Just wondering if anyone can show me scripture where the biblical tithe suddenly went from the firstfruits of crops and flocks and fruits and vegetables, and suddenly turned into dolla bills?.

And, when the gentile church pastor, priest, whoever, become a levite?

Last edited:
I have never heard of dollar bills being biblical. That is more a modern day thing. Back then though, like the tax collectors, they gathered money and misused the scale so that people were being cheated. And I know somewhere in the bible it says that God does NOT like dishonest scales. Does that help?

I would believe it comes from the use of the word 'increase' if your increase is wheat , cattle , or money , it is your increase..
also the story of the widow who gave her all

Mar 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
Mar 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

I dont have a strong stand on tithing.. i do VERY much believe in supporting the local church.

I would believe it comes from the use of the word 'increase' if your increase is wheat , cattle , or money , it is your increase..

Mar 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
Mar 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

I dont have a strong stand on tithing.. i do VERY much believe in supporting the local church.
And there lies my stance also.

Just wondering if anyone can show me scripture where the biblical tithe suddenly went from the firstfruits of crops and flocks and fruits and vegetables, and suddenly turned into dolla bills?.

And, when the gentile church pastor, priest, whoever, become a levite?

Anyone "listening to" pitching the ponzi scheme of "you give me your dollars" and "God will give you 100 times more dollars" would be wise to run to the exit as fast as possible.

Last edited:
The "law" is spiritual. It has zero to do with a dollar bill, but unfortunately many try to make it seem that way.

If we sow to the Spirit, we get a Spiritual Return.

I know of a non religious place. Everyone donates food, and then the organiser distributes all that food to all people who need it so everyone has food.

Its all about daily bread. Spiritual bread and material bread for survival. They are the only needs in life. The only needs in life is bread and water, both spiritual and material. Nothing more.

Can you show me scripture where the increase is money?

The only i can find is if the flock/crop increase was too big to take jerusalem, they could exchange it for money, then take that money to jerusalam and rebuy goods with it, like fruit and vegetables or whatever they choose. Thats the only reference to the tithe and money.

I cant find scripture wher it was flocks,crops,fruits,vegetables, and a dollar bill.

Im talking the biblical tithe. Not some widow throwing her two coins in the treasury.

The words in scripture directly explaining what the tithe is and what it was for.

Last edited:
Nope i cant ... Some hint.. Kiwidan i am not in disagreement with you on this..
This passage is interesting with both offerings and stopping the offerings..
Exo 36:3 And they received of Moses all the offering, which the children of Israel had brought for the work of the service of the sanctuary, to make it withal. And they brought yet unto him free offerings every morning.
Ya need to read the whole chapter...

After Jesus made his comment to the Pharisees about tithing spices, you never see the word again in the NT. I think tithing isn't giving 10% to your church to pay bills and salaries to "professional" ministers, but you will hear otherwise. I believe the 10% principle is the minimum level of what your giving should be. And it should be to the poor (not the lazy). The reigning theme after Christ rose again was to be "generous," to to give at minimum, 10%. The apostles didn't take the money and pay bills. They gave to anyone as they had need. Likewise, be generous to those in need. I would seriously hesitate to give to a brick and mortar church where few of those dollars go to the needy.

will the other side is i am a PK i know about paying the bills of a church building.. if people want a church in a building they should pay for it.. if they have need of a full time pastor they should pay for it.. Not all pastors are rich off the congregation some like Dad had paying jobs.. and used 'personal' monies to keep the heat on

The only i can find is if the flock/crop increase was too big to take jerusalem, they could exchange it for money, then take that money to jerusalam and rebuy goods with it, like fruit and vegetables or whatever they choose. Thats the only reference to the tithe and money.

I cant find scripture wher it was flocks,crops,fruits,vegetables, and a dollar bill.

Dan,
Dollars, Marks, Yen or Gold, increase is just that. when any person gives their money up they give up bargaining power just as the farmer does does with livestock or crops. they are equal in the Grand scheme of life today. It is, all of it, a matter of heart, the Spiritual H

Im talking the biblical tithe. Not some widow throwing her two coins in the treasury.

The words in scripture directly explaining what the tithe is and what it was for.
Sorry Dan and Reba,
My post was lost somewhere in Hyper-Space but here I go again.

Dan, she already has. Let's begin this with a bit more background and perhaps God will not let the Hyper-Beast eat it this time. These peoples living in cities are in violation of the will of God as illustrated in the telling of the story of the Tower of Babel. and in the Garden God did not establish a city, no, He said Adam would earn his lot by the sweat of his brow and He told Adam the land would reist him all the days of his life.

When we look at Abram, latter Abraham, he lived in a land filled with cities and God Almighty called him out and into a land where he was to live alone, in the country. And in like fashion, all the way through Jacob, later named by God to be Israel, the Jews were farmers.

Now, the point, it is not as you suspect. God said to Tithe on or of our first fruits, our increase. When I lived in Houston, Texas and I worked for Southwestern Bell, Quality Forklift or when I ran either of the companies I built, except for the garden in my back yard I purchased my edibles from this or that market, my increase was in the form of American Dollars and God does and did expect me to tithe of my first fruits, dollars.

You see, Reba, the Preacher's daughter, has already given you the scriptures you are asking after.

Some may say well not all pastor/priest/bishop/kings whatever they like to call themselves are rich. I will tell you why there not. Its because they only got a small crop. I guarentee if there church was mega they would have a few 500 benz sitting in the garage because they think there levites and can freely recieve a cut of the income.

Kiwidan my dad was a pastor .. he fell timber in the woods to feed us kids and more then once used the paycheck to pay the church bills .
if members of a church group want to meet in a building who should pay for it but them? IF they wish to have a 'full time' pastor again they should be willing to pay him a salary.. i dont need a building..

as far as a church building again here is
Exo 36:3 And they received of Moses all the offering, which the children of Israel had brought for the work of the service of the sanctuary, to make it withal. And they brought yet unto him free offerings every morning.
Exo 36:4 And all the wise men, that wrought all the work of the sanctuary, came every man from his work which they made;
Exo 36:5 And they spake unto Moses, saying, The people bring much more than enough for the service of the work, which the LORD commanded to make.
Exo 36:6 And Moses gave commandment, and they caused it to be proclaimed throughout the camp, saying, Let neither man nor woman make any more work for the offering of the sanctuary. So the people were restrained from bringing.
Exo 36:7 For the stuff they had was sufficient for all the work to make it, and too much.
Exo 36:8 And every wise hearted man among them that wrought the work of the tabernacle made ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work made he them.
Exo 36:9 The length of one curtain was twenty and eight cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: the curtains were all of one size.
Exo 36:10 And he coupled the five curtains one unto another: and the other five curtains he coupled one unto another.
Exo 36:11 And he made loops of blue on the edge of one curtain from the selvedge in the coupling: likewise he made in the uttermost side of another curtain, in the coupling of the second.
Exo 36:12 Fifty loops made he in one curtain, and fifty loops made he in the edge of the curtain which was in the coupling of the second: the loops held one curtain to another.
Exo 36:13 And he made fifty taches of gold, and coupled the curtains one unto another with the taches: so it became one tabernacle.
Exo 36:14 And he made curtains of goats' hair for the tent over the tabernacle: eleven curtains he made them.
Exo 36:15 The length of one curtain was thirty cubits, and four cubits was the breadth of one curtain: the eleven curtains were of one size.
Exo 36:16 And he coupled five curtains by themselves, and six curtains by themselves.
Exo 36:17 And he made fifty loops upon the uttermost edge of the curtain in the coupling, and fifty loops made he upon the edge of the curtain which coupleth the second.
Exo 36:18 And he made fifty taches of brass to couple the tent together, that it might be one.
Exo 36:19 And he made a covering for the tent of rams' skins dyed red, and a covering of badgers' skins above that.
Exo 36:20 And he made boards for the tabernacle of shittim wood, standing up.
Exo 36:21 The length of a board was ten cubits, and the breadth of a board one cubit and a half.
Exo 36:22 One board had two tenons, equally distant one from another: thus did he make for all the boards of the tabernacle.
Exo 36:23 And he made boards for the tabernacle; twenty boards for the south side southward:
Exo 36:24 And forty sockets of silver he made under the twenty boards; two sockets under one board for his two tenons, and two sockets under another board for his two tenons.
Exo 36:25 And for the other side of the tabernacle, which is toward the north corner, he made twenty boards,
Exo 36:26 And their forty sockets of silver; two sockets under one board, and two sockets under another board.
Exo 36:27 And for the sides of the tabernacle westward he made six boards.
Exo 36:28 And two boards made he for the corners of the tabernacle in the two sides.
Exo 36:29 And they were coupled beneath, and coupled together at the head thereof, to one ring: thus he did to both of them in both the corners.
Exo 36:30 And there were eight boards; and their sockets were sixteen sockets of silver, under every board two sockets.
Exo 36:31 And he made bars of shittim wood; five for the boards of the one side of the tabernacle,
Exo 36:32 And five bars for the boards of the other side of the tabernacle, and five bars for the boards of the tabernacle for the sides westward.
Exo 36:33 And he made the middle bar to shoot through the boards from the one end to the other.
Exo 36:34 And he overlaid the boards with gold, and made their rings of gold to be places for the bars, and overlaid the bars with gold.
Exo 36:35 And he made a vail of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen: with cherubims made he it of cunning work.
Exo 36:36 And he made thereunto four pillars of shittim wood, and overlaid them with gold: their hooks were of gold; and he cast for them four sockets of silver.
Exo 36:37 And he made an hanging for the tabernacle door of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen, of needlework;
Exo 36:38 And the five pillars of it with their hooks: and he overlaid their chapiters and their fillets with gold: but their five sockets were of brass.

I disagree Kiwidan... the guy in this letter is a Christlike pastor This was a letter to the editor .......

There is a great shepard in our small town
He watches over his flock day and night with great love and devotion. He will take in any stray lambs he finds or who come to him without any questions or a second thought.
He condems no one, he just loves and cares for his own little lambs and strays.
No, its not our Blessed Savior Christ who is here, but a very Christ like man. He may be smalll in size, but he has a heart that outweighs his body. We who know him are very blessed.
We all thank you Shepherd Jack, for your love and devotion through out this year.

Signed A. Believer...

This guy took kids home when they missed the school bus a 40 mile trip.. he split wood for the older folks .. cleaned the fish he caught and gave them to those who did not have. We dont hear about these kind of guys .. we only hear of the ones you are talking about.. There really are others like my dad out there... We hear about anything that makes Christianity look bad. and i agree those guys are thief's.

Thats a great story and im sure thats a good thing your dad done. Im more talking about the compulsary 10% tithe churches, or that say tithe, not the basic feel free to donate if you like, churches.

Anyhow, the Most High always choose Jerusalem. He did not choose a church building. So church tithing is not biblical.

Last edited:
Dan,
The tithe is not nor has it ever been in Christ's Church compulsory. Your error lies where you have not mentioned. The Church Jesus/God is returning to Rapture is not a single building on this planet. The Church of Jesus is not even the Pew Whales found seated in large number on Sunday Morning. Some of the Church of the Christ can be found there but in very small numbers.

Now, here's the real issue. The tithe is ten percent and there is such a stigma connected to that tenth. I and my wife, off the top, remove more than a tenth but it does not end there. To ask me for a rough number or an approximate percentage is sheer folly because at any given moment conditions will change and the LORD wills us to take care of it and we do. The tithe does operate the Church Building for the greatest part and since we are called to be Missionaries and since better than 98 percent of the average American Church Assembly are lost, that tithe goes to mission work. Other things, ranging from a child needing an exercise devise because of Diabetes to a young mother needing housing for herself and children until her drunk and abusive husband can catch on and turn his life around and these items will not wait, often, for an organized solution and if we can, we solve it for the cause of Jesus.

You are looking at all of this in the wrong light. If you dislike getting lost in large assemblies where even the pastor is oft a lost man, don't go there, I don't.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back