Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Question

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The tithe was instituted in the law to the Jew. This law was never given to the gentile. In fact, Paul never uses the word tithe in scripture & he was the apostle to the gentiles. The tithe was ended upon the resurrection of Jesus Christ. However, it is right to give to the support of the church. God loves a cheerful giver & the needy are always ion need. We are to give generously & according to our hearts. But tithes are not required for the gentile. you won't find tithing anywhere in Pauls teaching.
First, I have, to this point, failed to welcome you. Welcome!

Now, what you have expounded here is rooted in disbelieve as a result of the Modern day New Covenant and Modern day New Testament Christians and it is, just, not Biblical.

People before and people after the Mosaic (man's Misnomer) Law resisting or resisted the Grace of God are judged under, what we call, The Law.

Please, let me explain where I come from, FYI. The Bible was inspired to be written by Jesus. (John 1:1-3) Jesus taught from the Bible, form the book of Genesis through the book of Malachi.

Because this is true, Bill Taylor stands flat footed and all on this being the Bible. That does not trash the, so called, New Testament. It does make the New Testament the best set of Commentaries on the Bible, ever written. Why, they are Christ/Holy Father/Holy Ghost inspired/written commentaries on the Bible's content making them profitable to study. (Timothy 3:16 & 17)

In your first sentence you err and continue to build on that non-foundation made of air. The Tithe was instituted with Abram's rescue of his nephew, Lot, and all the other people.

You then say, "This law was never given to the gentile." Also not true and a goo9d study of the Bible will show you that even the Gentile was required to Tithe. (this will be specifically delineated in some of the studies, found in public libraries and Book Stores.) Without the tithe they could not be accepted as being, somewhere nearer, equal with the Jew and above the average Gentile.

You are right about the word tithe never appearing in Paul's writings but then the word Trinity never is used in the revelation of God in His Word, but it is true, none the less. The lack of an English, French, German or any other language's word is the Classical Straw-man Argument, leaving the perpetrator lacking credentials.

If I were you I would rethink and then rewqrite this post.

I went to visit a friend in a suburb and I seen a homeless person sleeping on the front step of a nice church building. I mean, the buildings worth over a mill and theres a human being with nothing sleeping on the step. Something aint right. One person wins 100 million in lotto while people in society dont eat. I mean far out.

And ad 2pac once said.. Why does God need gold ceilings to talk to me.

Last edited:
... Why does God need gold ceilings to talk to me.
You'll have to tell us, because I've never known God to need a gold ceiling to talk to me. I don't know of anyone else that thinks this either, so you'll have to tell the rest of us why you think this is true.

You'll have to tell us, because I've never known God to need a gold ceiling to talk to me. I don't know of anyone else that thinks this either, so you'll have to tell the rest of us why you think this is true.
Agreed, I also would like to know the answer to such heresy.

Agreed, I also would like to know the answer to such heresy.

I think he was refering to and predicted the popes quote 20 years later about how dangerous it is to have a personal relationship with Christ outside the mediation of the church.

So theres a question. Why would God need gold ceilings to talk to me.

Last edited:
I think he was refering to and predicted the popes quote 20 years later about how dangerous it is to have a personal relationship with Christ outside the mediation of the church.

It looks to me as though you worry to much about derogatory rubbish. Being as it is who asked it I can find nothing edifying, the first time it wasasked and I find no value in it being repeated.

I would believe it comes from the use of the word 'increase' if your increase is wheat , cattle , or money , it is your increase..
also the story of the widow who gave her all

Mar 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
Mar 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

I dont have a strong stand on tithing.. i do VERY much believe in supporting the local church.
I thought what the Lord Jesus cherished more was her heart for Lord.

Last edited:
I have not said different...
will the other side is i am a PK i know about paying the bills of a church building.. if people want a church in a building they should pay for it.. if they have need of a full time pastor they should pay for it.. Not all pastors are rich off the congregation some like Dad had paying jobs.. and used 'personal' monies to keep the heat on

God doesn't need them but they might be a help for you to talk to Him.

Entering the church (building) is a metaphor for entering the throne room of God. Modern western Christianity has taken out the stained glass with Bible scenes and replaced them with a rock-n-roll band leading the congregation in a parody of joyful noise. The awe of the presence of the Lord has been banished. Now Jesus, the king of kings and Lord of Lords is presented as my "buddy."

(some body got to hep me.......) :thud

iakov the fool
:boing

imo it was man made FOR the Worship of God. People were to come together as like minded worshippers and give thanks and praise to God. As well as pray for help with life issues that may be troubling in their life. To get answers to prayers.
It is/was NOT to Eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is/was NOT so some could come to gather and sale items to make their living by. It is/was NOT for some to con others into thinking if you buy my product it will help you connect to God or get answers from God.
when one does all or one of the NOTS it mke a mockery of The House of The Lord.
So the whip and a show of anger happened to be what was needed to get his point across.

... Modern western Christianity has taken out the stained glass with Bible scenes and replaced them with a rock-n-roll band leading the congregation in a parody of joyful noise. The awe of the presence of the Lord has been banished...
Seems God disagrees with you on this!
:
"Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises!
Sing praises to the LORD with the lyre, with the lyre and the sound of melody!
With trumpets and the sound of the horn make a joyful noise before the King, the LORD!
Let the sea roar, and all that fills it; the world and those who dwell in it!
Let the rivers clap their hands; let the hills sing for joy together
before the LORD..." (Ps 984-9a, ESV)

So you are saying the awe of the presence of the Lord banished in the Psalms as well?

Or by calling it a "parody" are you trying to claim that those who prefer a more joyful and upbeat type of worship such as described in the psalms are actually ridiculing and making fun of God and the worship of Him?

Seems to me that worshiping a building and it's stained glass windows is where the ridicule of God really is. And way too many people who think they need these things (stained glass, banishment of anything that doesn't fit their personal tastes, etc) to worship God properly really are worshiping these things instead of worshiping God.

Why did Jesus get out a whip and call the man made temple courtyard his fathers house?, when nothing man made is Gods house.

The temple in Jerusalem is the place where God said He would "put His Name." It was, therefore, figuratively; "His house."

Deu 12:4-7 You must not worship the LORD your God in their (the other nations') way. But you are to seek the place the LORD your God will choose from among all your tribes to put his Name there for his dwelling. To that place you must go; there bring your burnt offerings and sacrifices, your tithes and special gifts, what you have vowed to give and your freewill offerings, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks. There, in the presence of the LORD your God, you and your families shall eat and shall rejoice in everything you have put your hand to, because the LORD your God has blessed you.

It is most likely that Jesus drove the money changers and those selling sacrificial animals out of the temple court because they were cheating the the people who came to worship and, if you think about it, all those animals would be pooping and defiling the temple court. (If you've ever driven on I-5 in California, past the Harris Ranch cattle yards near Coalinga, you'd smell them before you could see them.)

The Priests would only accept "Temple Shekels" into the treasury so a person would have to exchange his common money for the temple shekels and pay the money changer a fee which was too high and they very likely paid the priests a fee for the privilege of operating an exchange booth in the temple court. (kick-back)

Also, only perfect animals could be offered for sacrifice.

Lev 22:21 When anyone brings from the herd or flock a fellowship offering to the LORD to fulfill a special vow or as a freewill offering, it must be without defect or blemish to be acceptable.

Num 19:2 This is a requirement of the law that the LORD has commanded: Tell the Israelites to bring you a red heifer without defect or blemish and that has never been under a yoke.

So when a worshiper brought an animal, the priest would inspect it before it was offered to insure it had no defects. If he found any, the worshiper would have to buy one of the sacrificial animal vendors' guaranteed acceptable animals. They would be rather expensive. (surPRRIZE SURprize!) Again, the vendor would probably have paid the priests for the privilege of being a vendor in the temple court and would kick back to the temple leadership.

So the money changers and animal vendors and temple leaders were taking advantage of the people who came to worship. They were using the Law which God gave Moses for profit and needed their butts whipped.

Jesus provided the whipping they needed.

hope that helps.

iakov the fool
:boing

Seems God disagrees with you on this!
:
"Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises!
Sing praises to the LORD with the lyre, with the lyre and the sound of melody!
With trumpets and the sound of the horn make a joyful noise before the King, the LORD!
Let the sea roar, and all that fills it; the world and those who dwell in it!
Let the rivers clap their hands; let the hills sing for joy together
before the LORD..." (Ps 984-9a, ESV)

So you are saying the awe of the presence of the Lord banished in the Psalms as well?

Or by calling it a "parody" are you trying to claim that those who prefer a more joyful and upbeat type of worship such as described in the psalms are actually ridiculing and making fun of God and the worship of Him?

Seems to me that worshiping a building and it's stained glass windows is where the ridicule of God really is. And way too many people who think they need these things (stained glass, banishment of anything that doesn't fit their personal tastes, etc) to worship God properly really are worshiping these things instead of worshiping God.
I, like you, mus disagree. At the Promise Keepers meetings in Houston about 60,000 men lifted their voices to sing Amazing Grace and I'm not sure there was a dry eye in the place. And as we sang there was such a movement of the Holy Spirit/God that men, family leaders, were coming to the foot of the cross all over the building. Stained Glass and beautiful but imagined paintings of Jesus or/and God do, absolutely, not a thing for me.
And I cannot call to memory the address but God said not to have pictures or statues of him in the Church.

I, like you, mus disagree. At the Promise Keepers meetings in Houston about 60,000 men lifted their voices to sing Amazing Grace and I'm not sure there was a dry eye in the place. And as we sang there was such a movement of the Holy Spirit/God that men, family leaders, were coming to the foot of the cross all over the building. Stained Glass and beautiful but imagined paintings of Jesus or/and God do, absolutely, not a thing for me.
And I cannot call to memory the address but God said not to have pictures or statues of him in the Church.
Ex 20:4

Thats the problem I see with images. People get them in there head. I mean people can have a visual image in there mind what Jesus looked liked in human form, yet God is spirit and the image of a man should not be worshipped.

Many say we or Jesus was made in Gods image so God must be human looking.

The truth is, knowone knows what Jesus looked like so no image of him should ever be attempted or made. It just adds another pagan god to the list.

No one who painted those pictures of Jesus that we are all familiar with every claimed that this is exactly what Jesus looked like. They are simply meant as reminders of who He was and as tools to help draw us closer to Him. Saying those pictures are pagan gods is about as irrational as saying using an atomic symbol to represent an atom makes the atomic symbol a pagan god. Now if someone foolishly chooses to venerate one of those pictures, that's on them, not on everyone else who has, makes, or looks at a picture that was intended to represent Jesus.

No one who painted those pictures of Jesus that we are all familiar with every claimed that this is exactly what Jesus looked like. They are simply meant as reminders of who He was and as tools to help draw us closer to Him. Saying those pictures are pagan gods is about as irrational as saying using an atomic symbol to represent an atom makes the atomic symbol a pagan god. Now if someone foolishly chooses to venerate one of those pictures, that's on them, not on everyone else who has, makes, or looks at a picture that was intended to represent Jesus.

Those original images and the similar looking images of christ we see today were pagan gods anyhow, they just changed the names to Jesus and Mary once the church was established.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back