Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Regeneration

JM

Is faith produced by our unregenerated human nature, or is it possible only after we are regenerated?

By regenerated, I'm assuming you mean renewed, as in 2 Corinthians 4:16; Ephesians 4:23; & Colossians 3:10.

Well, we know that faith comes by hearing God's Word (Romans 10:17). And we know that we each have a measure of faith that is apportioned to us by God (Romans 12:3-6). I've noticed that many verses that mention faith also mention belief. My theory on this is that we must first believe and faith will come (or grow). Here's an analogy:

Every car that I've ever own I believed that they had the ability to start. Every component necessary to start the car is there, but as cars get older, those components often fail. I've had some cars that tested my faith in this regard. If you have a car that fails a lot, you probably don't have a great deal of faith in that car. If you buy a new car, it's easy to believe that the car will start. And with each successful attempt, your faith in that car increases.

It's the same with God. I believe that God can do what He says in His Word. As the years go on, I see Him fulfilling those promises and my faith is growing. Years ago I don't think that I could believe He could or would do some of the things that I take for granted today. Like when I was out of work and didn't know how I was going to make it. He provided. Now, I have no problem trusting Him to provide.

So to answer your question, I think that faith is produced as we are regenerated by His Word.

Jason said:
Is faith produced by our unregenerated human nature, or is it possible only after we are regenerated?

Good Day, Jason

I will say that a unregerated peerson can not have Faith, and that Faith is the result of God regenerating us.

I will write my Law on their hearts.

Peace

Bill

kwag_myers said:
By regenerated, I'm assuming you mean renewed, as in 2 Corinthians 4:16; Ephesians 4:23; & Colossions 3:10.

Well, we know that faith comes by hearing God's Word (Romans 10:17). And we know that we each have a measure of faith that is apportioned to us by God (Romans 12:3-6). I've noticed that many verses that mention faith also mention belief. My theory on this is that we must first believe and faith will come (or grow). Here's an analogy:

Every car that I've ever own I believed that they had the ability to start. Every component necessary to start the car is there, but as cars get older, those components often fail. I've had some cars that tested my faith in this regard. If you have a car that fails a lot, you probably don't have a great deal of faith in that car. If you buy a new car, it's easy to believe that the car will start. And with each successful attempt, your faith in that car increases.

It's the same with God. I believe that God can do what He says in His Word. As the years go on, I see Him fulfilling those promises and my faith is growing. Years ago I don't think that I could believe He could or would do some of the things that I take for granted today. Like when I was out of work and didn't know how I was going to make it. He provided. Now, I have no problem trusting Him to provide.

So to answer your question, I think that faith is produced as we are regenerated by His Word.

Good Day, Kwag

What about those who are not of God and therefore can not hear?

Joh 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Romans Not each one,

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.Rom 12:4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
Rom 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Those brethren he was among were believers, and where thinking more highly of them selfs amoung their fellow believers. He reminds them all that they are of the same body made of many members.

Peace to u,

Bill

Sorry Bill, but you've lost me. Care to try again (keep it simple, I ain't that smart).

kwag_myers said:
Sorry Bill, but you've lost me. Care to try again (keep it simple, I ain't that smart).

Good Day, Kwag

You posted:

"Well, we know that faith comes by hearing God's Word

I asked about:

Joh 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Peace to you,

Bill

bbas 64 said:

According to John 8:31-36, they will continue to be slaves to sin. However, Galatians 3:22 tells us that the only way to receive God's promise of redemption is to believe in Jesus. This is what I mean when I say that faith grows from believing. Otherwise, you only have faith in yourself (I can do it, the power of positive thinking, etc.).

kwag_myers said:
[quote="bbas 64":974fd]What about those who are not of God and therefore can not hear?

According to John 8:31-36, they will continue to be slaves to sin. However, Galatians 3:22 tells us that the only way to receive God's promise of redemption is to believe in Jesus. This is what I mean when I say that faith grows from believing. Otherwise, you only have faith in yourself (I can do it, the power of positive thinking, etc.).[/quote:974fd]

I think we are born of God first so we may believe in Him and are set free to accept the gift.

bbas 64 said:
[quote="kwag_myers":00319]Sorry Bill, but you've lost me. Care to try again (keep it simple, I ain't that smart).

Good Day, Kwag

You posted:

"Well, we know that faith comes by hearing God's Word

I asked about:

Peace to you,

Bill[/quote:00319]

John 3:3 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

We are spiritually dead, we need to be born again so we can see/hear the Gospel preached...God supplies the means and the method to salvation.

Jason said:

As it says in Galatians, faith is a fruit of the Spirit. The Spirt regenerates a man's heart, giving him the ability to believe and call upon God.

Romans 3 tells us man is so corrupt he cannot choose God in his natural sinful state. Furthermore, Christ tells us in John 6:44 that nobody may come to Him unless the Father calls him.

Regenerations comes before acceptance, not after. :) If it were the other way around then everyone would go to hell.

A simple illustration is the Apostle Paul.

No more needs to be said. ;)

Johannes is correct. Once regenerated by the Holy Spirit that indiviual will submit themselves to God(who can resist God? no one can) and can never become spiritually dead again because they're sealed with eternal life.

Jason said:

I'm not sure if you are referring to salvific faith or sanctifying faith.

If you are talking about faith that saves, then I'd have to say that it is niether produced by our unregenerated heart nor after we are regenerated. "For it is by grace that you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God." (Eph 2:8) So the faith that leads to salvation is from God not from man.

If you are speaking of sanctifying faith, then it can only come after one believes and thus after we are regenerated. This faith, I believe, stems from the initial faith that is from God and leads to salvation. This faith grows over time as you walk in Christ and are nurtured in the Word.

In Christ,

Matthew

Faith to be saved comes from God and not from ourselves. We're told that in Eph. 2:8. Faith to trust God comes from Him. Faith to live for God comes from Him.

There are different kinds of "faith". Much of it has nothing to do with Christianity. You have faith that a chair will hold you. You have faith that your car will start in the morning and get you to where you want to go. Faith is believing and trusting without proof. We do that all the time in every day life.

Jon-Marc said:
Faith to be saved comes from God and not from ourselves. We're told that in Eph. 2:8. Faith to trust God comes from Him. Faith to live for God comes from Him.

There are different kinds of "faith". Much of it has nothing to do with Christianity. You have faith that a chair will hold you. You have faith that your car will start in the morning and get you to where you want to go. Faith is believing and trusting without proof. We do that all the time in every day life.

I see where you are coming Jon-Marc from but I don't see these other kinds of so-called faith as faith at all.

It is a common belief that everyone has a natural intuitive faith. In the example you have given, when we sit on a chair we know the chair will hold us up. This is not a true faith, but rather a proven premise based on logic, concluded on the law of averages. This kind of faith is certainly not the faith spoken of in scriptures, for the scriptures speak of a faith that is credited as righteousness. Now if we acknowledge that God is righteousness, then we must accept that faith is also a gift of God, revealed only by God, and not a development of any human intuitive intelligence. And it is only available to those to whom God chooses to reveal it as you have pointed out.

My understanding of faith may be flawed, but I believe that faith is believing something without proof. I believe, therefore, that it can apply to non-spiritual things. Anyway, that's just my personal opinion, and it's not worth debating. :D

Back