Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Revelation: Vision 1. Christ the Head of the Body.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Christ the Head of the Body.

As the Spirit of God begins to unfold to us the manifold glory of Christ He draws from all the wonders that we see – life, nature, scripture, heaven, the beauties of colour, fruits, jewels and radiant light. Yet these are but representations of the wondrous glory and splendour of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The first vision of Christ is His Pre-eminent position as the Royal High Priest, the Head of the Body of Christ. We are given a full view of His holy character and His perfect credentials. He triumphed over death and His trophies are pictured as the keys of hell and death.

Then we see the unfolding glory of His resplendent face in all its loveliness. Its light brings life to all creation. There is no fuller and truer presentation of the Saviour`s glorious qualifications that was ever committed to mankind.

This wonderful revelation of the Lord was given to the Apostle John. He was a prisoner on the island of Patmos for his belief in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

`I, John, both your brother and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God & for the testimony of Jesus Christ.` (Rev. 1: 9)

As he was waiting on the Lord, He hears a loud voice behind him, as of a trumpet, telling him to write what he sees & hears in a book. He was then to send it to the seven churches in Asia and by God`s Holy Spirit this revelation has been read by believers down through the centuries.

`I was in the Spirit on the Lord`s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, Saying, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,” and “What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.” (Rev. 1: 10 & 11)

John then turns and sees a vision of the one who spoke to him. It is the glorified Lord Jesus Christ. He is seen in the midst of seven lampstands.

`Then I turned to see the voice that spoke to me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the seven lampstands one like the Son of Man...` (Rev. 1: 12 & 13)

Christ the Royal High Priest.

The details of this vision of the Lord draws upon the imagery of the High Priest ministering in the temple. However this is but a shadow of the true minister of the sanctuary in the heavenlies – the Lord Jesus Christ. (Heb. 8: 1 & 2)

His Character.

`like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band.`(Rev. 1: 13)

As this first vision of the Lord Jesus Christ unfolds we see Him as the Royal High Priest. He is like the Son of Man, indicative of the lowliest humility of our Saviour, yet He has obtained the highest honours in heaven and earth.

The long garment is as the priests wore, symbolic of holiness, yet Christ`s very character is holy and without spot. And the golden girdle was worn by the High Priest to indicate his high office and authority, but Christ, the eternal High Priest, ever lives to intercede, giving eternal blessings.

His Counsel.

`His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, And His eyes like aflame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace,....` (Rev. 1: 14 & 15)

The whiteness of His head and hair symbolise the maturity of His understanding and the perfection of His intellectual knowledge. The eyes are another essential factor for discernment, if judgment is to be absolutely righteous. Christ`s vision penetrates every realm and sphere, and scans the innermost thoughts of every mind & heart.

The symbolic picture of the `feet,` refer to the uprightness of all Christ`s dealings. He is perfectly just, never misjudges, miscalculates or misunderstands any case in question. He rewards every worthy achievement and recognises the sacrificial suffering of His people.

The glorified Lord Jesus Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father `far above all principality and power, and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.` (Eph. 1: 20 & 21)

His Authority

`His voice as the sound of many waters; He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword,..`. (Rev.1: 15 & 16)

In this amazing vision of the Lord Jesus we are shown His great authority in relation to the Body of Christ. We are told of His majestic voice, the powerful sceptre in His right hand and the awesome judgments that come forth.

The Lord speaks to many peoples on various subjects, `the sound of many waters.` (Rev. 17: 15)
He combines His sovereign commands and counsel with His heartfelt comfort as He delivers His message in authority.

Then we see the prevailing might of His right hand which supremely oversees His Church, the Body of Christ. The stars are symbols of administrative authority in spiritual things, and all such power Christ oversees and maintains.

Finally the execution of judgment or of justification is by His powerful word. With it He smites & by it He saves. The searching sight of His light operates through the `Sword of the Spirit.` No invention of man or of demon can evade the force of its thrust.

`and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.` (Rev. 1: 16)

Here we come to the awesome sight of the Lord Jesus in His unspeakable glory. There can be no night where the Shekinah of His glowing countenance shines forth. The sun overlays all forms in the terrestrial while the light of His face adorns every life with the many diverse graces of His goodness.

The Apostle John was overcome by this wondrous vision of the Lord Jesus and collapsed at His feet as dead. The blinding sight of Christ`s glory, His concentrated gaze and the terrible sword protruding from the mouth all made John`s heart tremble & become terror stricken. But the Lord lays His hand upon him and reassures him that He has all things under His command.

As the `First,` Christ is the creator of all things visible & invisible, and as the `Last,` He finishes all things in heaven and on the earth. He has conquered death & hell and is alive for evermore.

`And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid;
I am the First & the Last. I am He who lives, & was dead, and behold I am alive for evermore. Amen.
And I have the keys of Hades and of death.” (Rev. 1: 17 & 18)

John was then to write what He had just seen in the first vision, and then what was happening in the churches in his time and finally he was to record what things would take place after that.

“Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this.” (Rev. 1: 19)

The Lord Jesus then explains to John what the lampstand and stars represented. As the priest in the earthly temple would move amongst the lampstands and watch to keep their lights burning so it is that Christ, the Head of the Body, who moves amongst the churches makes sure that their lights, their witness of Him is true and clear.

And just as the seven stars, the Pleiades (Job 38: 31) control our planetary system from billions of miles away, so it is that Christ has administrative authority over the churches, His Body, supervising them over the centuries and throughout the world.

“The mystery of the seven stars you saw in my right hand, & the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches.” (Rev. 1: 20)

Let us now look at the Lord dealing with each of the 7 groups. He encourages & comforts, or warns & exposes error, while revealing Himself afresh to each group as the answer to their problem. If we are a part of the Body of Christ then even today we are to heed what the Spirit is saying.

Ephesus – Division. (Rev. 2: 1 – 7)

Christ reveals Himself to these believers as the preeminent one who has all power & authority walking in their midst.

`He who holds the 7 stars (angels), who walks in the midst of the 7 golden lampstands. (the Body of Christ)` (Rev. 2: 1)

7 in Heb. Means `to be complete.` Thus the complete Body of Christ.

He encourages & commends them for their patience, perseverance & testing of false apostles, & then points out a severe error –

“...you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen;” (Rev. 2: 4 & 5)

The believers had lost their `first love.` Their affection & allegiance was not on Christ, but on earthly support, so they had `fallen.` They looked more to their leaders rather than listening to the Lord. Divisions & factions had formed.

`I am of Paul,... I am of Apollos,` (1 Cor. 3: 4)
`I hear that there are divisions among you,...` (1 Cor.11: 18 & 19)

Many of the early believers did however discern those who `lorded it over ` others and did not agree with their behaviour.

“But this you have, that you hate the deed of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.” (Rev. 2: 6)

Nicolaitan – Gk. Nikolaos, `nikao,` to conquer, and `laos,` the people.

To conquer the people, or to lord it over them. ( 1 Peter 5: 3)

The Lord Jesus Christ then encourages the believers to listen to His Holy Spirit so they can be overcomes who will receive of His eternal life.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” (Rev. 2: 7)

To be overcomers they need to `hold fast to the Head,` Christ, & not look to men as their Head. (Col.2: 18 & 19)

2. Smyrna – Persecution (Rev. 2: 8 – 11)

Christ is not only the Commencer and Consummator of life as the First and Last, but also the conqueror of death. Where death reigns as the enemy`s power, all mankind are held in bondage. But Christ is the Originator of life as the First and the Overseer as the Last. He is also the Overcomer who was dead and is alive. So He presents Himself as the prevailing Victor that He may make His people victorious also.

“And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write, these things says the First & Last, who was dead, & came to life:..”
(Rev. 2: 8)

In the martyr age (& for martyrs down through the centuries) the Church was confronted by the cruel power of the devil. Thus Christ unveiled Himself as not merely alive, but also immune from death`s power, and assures the same immunity to His people.

“I know your works , tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer.
Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days.” (Rev. 2: 9 & 10)

10 – Gk. Word `deka` - fig. for law, testing

Day – Gk. Word `hemera` - fig. meaning a period of time, judgement.

The `10 days` is symbolic of a period of testing time that the believers through the centuries will have to undergo until God brings judgement. To be an overcomer we are not to fear suffering but be faithful even unto death. Man may take our physical life, but it is the Lord who gives eternal life.

The second death refers not to the physical death but to the spiritual `death` of the unrepentant who will be cast from God`s presence forever.

“Be faithful until death and I will give you the crown of life. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.” (Rev. 2: 11)

3. Pergamos – False Doctrines. (Rev. 2: 12 – 17)

Christ is revealed to these believers, as their judge, with the authority of His Word.

`He who has the sharp two-edged sword.` (Rev. 2: 12)

He commends them for professing His name & not denying their faith in Him. However, in their midst are those teaching wrong doctrine.

The Doctrine of Balaam – Worldly
(2 Peter 12 – 22)

`who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, & to commit sexual immorality.` (Rev. 2: 14)

Balaam was teaching Balak to corrupt God`s people by tempting them to defile their separation from the world & abandon their pilgrim character. Similarly certain people were teaching believers to behave like the world bringing them back into bondage. This is spiritual adultery. The Lord points out to the believers that they are `dwelling` in the world, `where Satan`s throne is.`

“I know ....where you dwell, where Satan`s throne is.” (Rev. 2: 13)
`the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.` (1 John 5: 19)

World – Gk. Word `kosmos,` meaning the moral system, order of the world.

The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans – Hierarchical Control
(`lording it over,` 1 Peter 5:2 & 3)

What were `deeds of the Nicolaitans` in Ephesus, now became a doctrine in Pergamos.

The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans.

Nikolaos – Gk. Words, `nikao` to conquer, & `laos` the people. To conquer the people.

Instead of local groups in homes ministering to one another, certain elders began `lording it over` many of the believers. This eventually developed into a hierarchical system of control, which we can still see today. This is the way the world operates & the Lord told his disciples they must not behave so.

`You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them,....Yet it shall not be so among you;` (Matt. 20: 25 & 26)

The Apostle Paul also saw this wrong behaviour of leaders & chastises the people for coming under such bondage.

`For you put up with it if one brings you into bondage,..` (2 Cor. 11: 20)

The solution is to repent & know Christ`s Character as exemplified by Paul who was -

`gentle among you, just as a nursing mother....` & `we exhorted & comforted,...as a father..` (1 Thess. 2: 7 & 11)

4. Thyatira – Idolatry & Witchcraft. (Rev. 2: 18 – 29)

Christ highlights His deity to these believers. He tells them that He is searching their motives & will judge those who are worshipping Satan.

`These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, & His feet like fine brass;` (Rev. 2: 18)

The Lord encourages & commends them for their works, love, service, faith & patience, but warns of the false prophets teaching heresy. The Apostle Peter also warned the early believers that there would be false teachers & false prophets rise up from among them who would bring in destructive heresies. These are works of the flesh – idolatry, sorcery,.....dissensions, heresies – (Gal. 5: 19 & 20)

` false prophets.....false teachers....who will secretly bring in destructive heresies.....& many will follow their destructive ways...` (2 Peter 2: 1 & 2)

The Lord then addresses this (spiritual) harlotry, sexual immorality, where people bow down & venerate other so-called gods, or in their hearts follow false doctrines. (Num. 25: 1 & 2)

“because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach & seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality .... I will cast her ...& those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation unless they repent of their deeds.” (Rev.2: 20 – 22)

Queen Jezebel, of the Old Testament is often used as an illustration of someone bringing in heresies of witchcraft & idolatry to the people. (2 Kings 9: 22) One of the main heresies was imagining there was a `Queen of Heaven.` ( Jer. 44: 17) Israel burned incense to this so-called deity, & venerated her image in the hope of protection. Even today this is a common practice keeping many in bondage.

The Apostle Paul also warns Timothy of these errors & gives some details of the false doctrines.

`in the latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits & doctrines of demons. ....forbidding to marry, ....profane & old wives` fables,` (1 Tim. 4: 1 – 7)

& `gullible women....always learning & never coming to the knowledge of the truth.` (2 Tim. 3: 6 & 7)

These people are continually looking for `secret knowledge` & teaching, beyond what God says in His Word. They do not have a firm foundation of the truth in Jesus Christ but are led on by their own fleshly desires.

There needs to be repentance, acknowledging Christ as the ONLY Son of God, not one among other Deities. It is He who `searches the mind & hearts,` His `eyes like a flame of fire` (2 Tim. 2: 15)

5. Sardis - Denominations. (Rev. 3: 1 – 6)

Christ comes to this group of believers telling them He is the one with the Spirit of God & the administrative power over the Body of Christ.

“These things says He who has the 7 (fold) Spirits of God & the 7 stars.` (Rev. 3: 1)

He exposes their trust in man-made denominations, a `name` they have made for themselves.

`I know your works, that you have a name,...` (Rev. 3: 1)

Name – Gk. Word `onoma,` authority. & `onomai,` renown, to derive advantage from.
Denomination – the act of naming. (The Concise English Dictionary)

Many in this group have prided themselves on their denomination rather than honouring the Lord Jesus Christ. They gain prestige from their allegiance to the organisation which has a standing in the world. They think that they are `alive,` but Christ says, they are `dead.`

The Apostle Paul speaks of such people who preserve all the outward form of religion, but don`t believe its true meaning.

`For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud ....having a form of godliness but denying its power:` (2 Tim. 3: 5)

Paul speaks of this `power.` It is Christ Himself whom we humbly believe died for our sins & is now risen, giving us His new life by His Holy Spirit.

`we preach Christ crucified,....Christ the power of God...` (1 Cor. 1: 23 & 24)

The Lord then counsels these people to receive of the Holy Spirit, remembering how they first received life in Christ.

`Be watchful & strengthen the things that remain.....Remember therefore how you have received & heard; hold fast & repent.` (Rev. 3: 2 & 3)

Finally the Lord commends the few believers who have not put their trust in man`s denominations, but have looked to Him for their righteousness.

`You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments, & they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.` (Rev. 3: 4)

6. Philadelphia – Christ`s Character and His Purposes. (Rev. 3: 7 – 13)

Christ reveals His Character (Holy) & His Purposes (True) to this group of believers, and then He opens up to them His riches of wisdom & knowledge.

`These things says He who is Holy, He who is true, .....See I have set before you an open door...` (Rev. 3: 7 & 8)

Christ`s Character

“`He who is holy .....` (Rev. 3: 7)

Holy – Gk. Word `hosios,` meaning right by intrinsic or divine character.

As Christ reveals His divine character to these believers they are changed into His likeness. (2 Peter 1: 4) They are not partial or sectarian but have a love for all the brethren, the Body of Christ. This is shown by their name which reveals their character..

Philadelphia - `Philos` - fond, & `adelphos` - brother, meaning - love of the brethren.

They have a desire to see the Body of Christ come to full maturity.

`...speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head – Christ - `(Eph. 4: 15)

Christ`s Purposes

These believers are given the true riches in Christ, a full understanding of Him, His character & His purposes so they can help the Body of Christ come to full maturity. This is symbolised by `the key of David.`

`He who has the key of David, He who opens & no one shuts, & shuts & no one opens.` (Rev. 3: 7)

The key of David unlocked Israel`s national treasures, but Christ unlocks His treasures, the true riches of wisdom & knowledge of Himself. An `open door` means access to this true wisdom & knowledge of Christ. (Phil.3: 8 – 10)

`Christ,..... in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom & knowledge.` (Col. 2: 3)

The wisdom & knowledge of Christ`s purposes involves an understanding of the 3 groups -

The Body of Christ, Israel & the Nations. ( 1 Cor.10: 32)

Knowing Christ`s purposes for each group brings a clarity to God`s word. Christ & His purposes are the centre, not us.

Believers then can clearly see what is happening on the world scene & speak confidently but humbly to others of what God is doing & why. This brings encouragement & growth in others. Then many who were in error will gain understanding, acknowledging that God says of the Philadelphia ones -

`I have loved you.` (Rev. 3: 9)

7. Laodicea - Man`s Character and his Purposes. (Rev. 3: 14 – 19)

Christ reveals Himself to this group as the Originator (Beginning) & the one who will Terminate all things, (Amen) plus the one who oversees all in between. It is His purposes that will prevail, not man`s.

`These things says the Amen, ......the Beginning of the creation of God.` (Rev. 3: 14)

This group believe that by partnering with the world system they can transform & change the world bringing peace, hope & justice, through man`s efforts. This is shown by their name, which reveals their character & motives.

Laodicea - `Laos` - people, & `dike` - justice, meaning – the people`s justice.

This is spiritual adultery, joining with the world & not relying on the Lord.

`....friendship with the world is enmity with God.` (James 4: 4)
Friendship – from the Gk word, `philia` friendship & `philos` friend, associate, partner

This group also look to the world for leadership techniques & business strategies, measuring their success by worldly standards.

`I am rich, have become wealthy, & have need of nothing.` (Rev. 3: 17)

The Lord however chastises them quite severely saying that He sees them as -

`wretched, miserable, poor, blind & naked -` (Rev. 3: 17)

This group should have been a `Witness` to the world of the power of God to change people.

They should have been `faithful` to show that it is by His Spirit people are changed, & not by man`s efforts – promotions of organisations, entertainment, or big events etc.

They should have been `true` to God`s word declaring that He will judge the world, instead of saying that He is transforming it for the better.

The Lord `the faithful & True Witness` then addresses their watered down witness or `lukewarmness.` He tells them quite strongly, that unless they repent He will `vomit ` them out of His mouth.(Rev. 3: 16) He then counsels them to know Him as their source -

`buy from Me gold....white garments...& anoint your eyes...` (Rev. 3: 18)

Gold - Faith in Christ & not in man. (1 Peter 1: 7)
White Garments - Christ`s righteousness not man`s efforts. (Titus 3: 5 & 6)
Anoint your eyes - Insight by the Holy Spirit into Christ`s purposes, & not man`s purposes. (John 16: 13)

Christ the Reward. (Rev. 2 & 3)

Christ`s promises of a reward to the seven churches encompass the full inheritance to every overcomer. This includes a new body, an incorruptible one that can dwell in the realms of the third heaven.

`For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality...` (1 Cor. 15: 53)

Yet more amazing still, is that they are sons of the most high, adopted into His family and given positions of authority and service as King Priests.

`The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: and if children, then heirs, heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ.` (Rom. 8: 16)

Peter reminds us that -
`the inheritance is incorruptible, undefiled, and never fades away.` (1 Pet. 1: 4)

What an inheritance! What a joy and a wonder for it is Christ`s Life.

Christ`s Life.
(The Tree of Life. Rev. 2: 7)

`To him who overcomes I will give him to eat from the tree of life which is in the midst of the paradise of God.` (Rev. 2: 7)

Christ is the source of eternal life. He continually sustains and nourishes us in our life now and throughout eternity. The proof of this `life` is seen in our service and relationships with others. As we cooperate with the Holy Spirit we will experience the fruitfulness of a Christ led life.

Thus the picture of Christ as the `Tree of Life,` shows this fruitful life through us by the Holy Spirit. Here are 12 aspects of service and relationships by the Holy Spirit, in which we operate.

`son, (Gal. 3: 26) heir, (Gal. 4: 7) steward, (1 Peter 4: 10) servant, (Eph. 6: 6)
king, (Prov.25: 28) judge, (1 Cor. 6: 2 & 13) priest, (1 Peter 2: 5) holy one,(1 Cor. 1: 2)
teacher, (Heb. 5: 12) citizen, (Eph. 2: 19) brother, (Heb. 2: 11) friend, (3 John 14).`

Christ`s Authority. (The Crown of Life. Rev. 2: 10)

`Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.` (Rev. 2: 10)

This crown represents the authority to rule and reign with Christ. We are called of Christ to be King Priests, and then empowered with His authority. Each overcomer will also be given specific authority and responsibility for specific areas of service. These are represented by other `crowns,` which we will receive in relation to our obedience to the Holy Spirit.

Crowns – Gk. `stepho,` Victor`s Crowns - a badge of royalty.

The Crown of Life. (James 1: 12)

`Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been proved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love him.`

There are many trials we face as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The Crown of Rejoicing. (1 Thess. 2: 19)

`For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?

There is great joy in discipling and mentoring others.

The Crown of Glory.
(1 Peter 5: 2 - 4)

`Shepherd the flock of God....not....as being lords over those entrusted to you, but examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.`

There is a great responsibility to be examples to others.

The Crown of Victory.
(1 Cor. 9: 24 - 27)

`Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown.`

There is great freedom in being guided by the Holy Spirit and not self. That is the way to `run` the race of life.

The Crown of Righteousness. (2 Tim. 4: 8)

`Finally there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved His appearing.`

Looking for the Lord coming to His Body, nourishes our everyday life. We are continually receiving His life which then flows out to help and disciple others.

Christ`s Character. (The Hidden Manna. Rev.2: 17)

`To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat.` (Rev. 2: 17)

`Jesus said, “ I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead.....
I am the living bread,..... It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. (John 6: 48 -50, & 63)

Bread is bought to nourish those who are alive; but Christ, the Bread of God imparts life eternal. The physical bread we eat is from wheat or other grains, grown in the ground from whence our bodies are derived. The calcium, silicon, iodine, iron, phosphates etc in an organic form are packed into the wheat in order to build up our strength.

In like manner, if we are to become partakers of spiritual life and immortality we must eat the Bread of God, which is made up of righteousness, goodness, lovingkindness, graciousness, perfectness, holiness and such like which result in Christ likeness.

To believe Christ and receive Him is to appropriate and partake of the Bread of God , (Christ`s character) which came down from Heaven. In doing so the result is life everlasting, because these divine virtues are imperishable. Therefore the gift (reward) of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Christ Likeness and Function. (The White Stone with our New Name. Rev.2: 17)

`To him who overcomes, I will give him a white stone,
and on the stone a new name written, which no one knows except him who receives it. ` (Rev. 2: 17)

To have our own new name written on that `white stone,` is to have our specific character and function identified.

`Coming to Him as to a living stone,....precious ...you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood,...` (1 Peter 2: 4 & 5)

This shows that the living likeness of Christ, the precious Stone, is imprinted on every redeemed soul. And every living stone built in the spiritual structure of this celestial house, has become a partaker of the divine nature.

We are individually set in the Body of Christ with a specific purpose and function.

`...now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased.` (1 Cor. 12: 18)

Christ Appearing for the Body of Christ.

(The Morning Star. Rev. 2: 28) `I will give him the morning star.` (Rev. 2: 28)

The morning star is the herald of the coming day. It is seen only by the `watchers,` or the early risers.

In the spiritual heavens, Christ is also the Bright and Morning Star.

`I am the bright and Morning Star.` (Rev. 22: 16)

He is the One whom we eagerly await. We look to His `appearing.`

`Finally there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord the righteous judge, will give to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved His appearing.` (2 Tim. 4: 8)

Appearing – Gk. `epiphaneia,` meaning – manifestation, brightness, to become visible, conspicuous.

We are encouraged to eagerly wait for the Lord to come again.

`To those who eagerly wait for him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.` (Heb. 9: 28)

And when Christ `appears,` we shall become like Him, changed and taken to glory.

`When Christ, who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.` (Col. 3: 4)

Back