Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Roman Catholic dogma of the Assumption is not Biblical

Is the Roman Catholic dogma of the Assumption of Mary biblical?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
notapseudonym said:
We do not bow down or what you would consider praying to a statue or other image. We do this because of what the image signifies, who the image is of, for it is a visuale reminder of the person. For example, we have a statue of Mary in our house. We pray the family rosary around this statue, not because we are praying to Mary but because we see the statue and remember, oh Mary, my mother in Heaven.

Do you have pictures in your house? I do too. I have one of a good friend of mine who moved away. We would laugh at each other, try and bug each other in fun and talk about problems each saturday. Well he is not in town anymore. When I have a problem, like the ones I talked to him about, I look at the picture and make a comment like, "I wish you were here to laugh at me right now." I am not worshiping his picture, I am not bowing down before him, I am remebering him and his friendship.

I will continue to pray for you.

The argument that you are using is not a valid one.

I do not bow down and ask photographs of friends to pray for me. I call my friends on the phone or write them letters.

That is not what is going on in these pictures.

idol1cp.jpg

The pope is bowing down and praying to a graven image.

Leviticus 26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

Remember I am an ex-Catholic and used all the same arguments and exuses you use.

If you are an ex-catholic then you must noy have known what the arguments ment. We are never going to agree on this. We will find out when we die that I am correct. Also, you used the term "valid" in the wrong way.

I have pictures in my house--none of them serve as a reminder to pray. None of us would dream of gathering round them.

These statues ARE set up, knelt before--which is itself spoken against! just as praying before them is also spoken against by God Himself!

FLEE IDOLATRY!

notapseudonym said:
If you are an ex-catholic then you must noy have known what the arguments ment. We are never going to agree on this. We will find out when we die that I am correct. Also, you used the term "valid" in the wrong way.
Well, we will find out that someone is correct.

*also an ex-RC*

As I said we will never agree on this subject. There is a truth here you will never see because you refuse to see it. Not allthe picture sof saints in my home remnd me to pray to them. I have 3 pictures of St. Cecilia in my room reminding me I have a friend in Heaven watching out for me.

notapseudonym said:
As I said we will never agree on this subject. There is a truth here you will never see because you refuse to see it. Not allthe picture sof saints in my home remnd me to pray to them. I have 3 pictures of St. Cecilia in my room reminding me I have a friend in Heaven watching out for me.

I have God's word telling me that Jesus is my advocate.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Rome tells us that we need Mary to be our advocate. That is a lie from Satan.

O Immaculate and wholly-pure Virgin Mary, Mother of God, Queen of the world, hope of those who are in despair: You are the joy of the saints; you are the peacemaker between sinners and God; you are the advocate of the abandoned, the secure haven of those who are on the sea of the world; you are the consolation of the world, the ransom of slaves, the comfortress of the afflicted....

O great Queen, we take refuge in your protection. After God, you are all my hope. We bear the name of your servants; allow not the enemy to drag us to hell. I salute you, O great mediatress of peace between men and God, Mother of Jesus our Lord, who is the love of all men and of God, to whom be honor and benediction with the Father and the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Only Jesus is our peace. Only Jesus is our hope. Only Jesus is our refuge.

The Mary of Rome is nothing more than an ancient devil goddess in new garb.

Is there a Queen of Heaven in the scriptures?

Yes, there is!

Jeremiah 7:17 Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?

Jeremiah 7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

Jeremiah 7:19 Do they provoke me to anger? saith the LORD: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces?

You see! There is a queen of heaven in the bible. God is not pleased when His people worship this devil!

The prophet Jeremiah warned the people not to worship this goddess but the people refused to listen!

Jeremiah 44:16 As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the LORD, we will not hearken unto thee.

Jeremiah 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

Today the cult of Rome will not repent of the fornication it promotes!

crowning.jpg

Devil goddess

So, we should just disregard the mother of Jesus.
Let's be logical here.
Jesus loved His mother,
Jesus loves us
Therefore His mother loves us.

And also
if we love Mary we love Jesus
If we love Jesus our love for Him cannot be complete if we do not love His mother. So you cannot reject one but embrace the other.

notapseudonym said:
So, we should just disregard the mother of Jesus.
Let's be logical here.
Jesus loved His mother,
Jesus loves us
Therefore His mother loves us.

And also
if we love Mary we love Jesus
If we love Jesus our love for Him cannot be complete if we do not love His mother. So you cannot reject one but embrace the other.

Let's be logical... I call Mary "blessed among women" and have nothing against her.

It is the false Queen of Heaven that the RCC has foisted upon it's faitful I have a problem with.

I did not have to love my mother in law to love my wife.

I know from scripture that Mary was a sinner like me. I also know from scripture that the myth of the Assumption is just that... a myth or fable.

She was an obedient servant of the Lord and for that I hold her in high esteem.

Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Luke 1:46-48 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

I haven't any problem with this Mary.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The blessed mother of the Lord Jesus was the most blessed of all women when she conceived and bore the only begotten Son of God!

I will always call her blessed, just as she stated people would do.

It's this false Mary of the church of Rome I have problems with!

wwt-article_other03.jpg

that looks like an Egyptian godess. Why is it impossible for Maryto have been assumed into Heaven, body and soul?

notapseudonym said:
that looks like an Egyptian godess. Why is it impossible for Maryto have been assumed into Heaven, body and soul?

It didn't happen that is why.

http://www.catholicconcerns.com/MaryWorship.html

Mary Worship?

A Study of Catholic Practice and Doctrine

Mary Ann Collins
(A Former Catholic Nun)

June 2001

"Mary was probably in the Upper Room when the tongues of fire fell upon the 120 disciples. However, she is never mentioned again in the Book of Acts, which is our only historical record of how the Church was born. She is also not specifically identified in the epistles. Paul did send greetings to "Mary", but that was a common name. (In the Gospels and in the Book of Acts, she is referred to as "Mary the mother of Jesus" to distinguish her from other women named Mary.)

It is notable that John, who took Mary into his home after Jesus was crucified, does not mention her in his epistles, and he only mentions her on two occasions in his Gospel (the wedding at Cana and the crucifixion of Jesus). John mentions Mary Magdalene more than he mentions Jesus' mother.

ASSUMPTION -- At the end of her life, Mary was taken up ("assumed") body and soul into Heaven. ("Catechism" 966, 974)

There is no biblical reference to the assumption of Mary. The Gospel of John was written around 90 A.D., which is more than 100 years after Mary was born. (Surely Mary was more than ten years old when Jesus was conceived.) If Mary had been supernaturally assumed into Heaven, wouldn't John (the disciple that Mary lived with) have mentioned it? When Enoch and Elijah were taken up to Heaven, the Bible recorded it. With Elijah it was recorded in some detail. (See Genesis 6:24 and 2 Kings 2:1-18.)

The Assumption of Mary was officially declared to be a dogma of the Roman Catholic faith in 1950. This means that every Roman Catholic is required to believe this doctrine without questioning it. However, as we will see, the teaching of the Assumption originated with heretical writings which were officially condemned by the early Church.

In 495 A.D., Pope Gelasius issued a decree which rejected this teaching as heresy and its proponents as heretics. In the sixth century, Pope Hormisdas also condemned as heretics those authors who taught the doctrine of the Assumption of Mary. The early Church clearly considered the doctrine of the Assumption of Mary to be a heresy worthy of condemnation. Here we have "infallible" popes declaring something to be a heresy. Then in 1950, Pope Pius XII, another "infallible" pope, declared it to be official Roman Catholic doctrine. (Note 15)

notapseudonym said:

The image that I placed is of The "Queen of Heaven". The Divine Mother and Child.

She goes by many names in all cultures around the world.

God condemns devotion to the "Queen of Heaven".

Jer 7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
Jer 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

People continue to this day to honour the queen of heaven and they still "see no evil" in it, and still provoke God to anger every time they do.

Prove to me it did not happen. I cannot prove to you it did, I have faith in the Church and its teachings and that is good enough for me. The Pope did not condemn the doctrine, only the writings. Also the gospel of John, as you said, was written about 90 A.D. In all probablity this was not the apostle John writing it.
Do we just disregard everything that is not in the bible? All we are told about 20 + years of His life is "HE grew in grace and knowledge before God and man." I guess He nevr slept or eat or talked or did anything during those years because the bible does not say so.

notapseudonym said:
Prove to me it did not happen. I cannot prove to you it did, I have faith in the Church and its teachings and that is good enough for me. The Pope did not condemn the doctrine, only the writings. Also the gospel of John, as you said, was written about 90 A.D. In all probablity this was not the apostle John writing it.
Do we just disregard everything that is not in the bible? All we are told about 20 + years of His life is "HE grew in grace and knowledge before God and man." I guess He nevr slept or eat or talked or did anything during those years because the bible does not say so.

That is no excuse. The man of God isn't concerned with what isn't written but what is written.

God gave us everything we need for faith and practice in the bible.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Jesus always used and honored scripture.

Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

It is not an excuse but a point, a fact.

He gave us everthing we need to know to gain eternal life. It is all collected in something Catholics call the deposit of faith. All reveled truth ended with the death of the last apostle, John. Nothing new has been revealed to us.

God has given us His inspired word and so much more, tradition.

Back