Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

SECULAR SAYINGS THAT HAVE BIBLICAL ROOTS

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
A good man is hard to find

This phrase was coined by songwriter Eddie Green in 1918
The concept is common enough in secular sayings - remember the movie, "Looking for Mr. Goodbar"?
Here's the whole song:
A good man is hard to find
You always get the other kind
Just when you think that he is your pal
You look for him and find him fooling 'round some other gal
Then you rave, you even crave
To see him laying in his grave
So, if your man is nice, take my advice and hug him in the morning, kiss him ev'ry night,
Give him plenty lovin', treat him right
For a good man nowadays is hard to find, a good man nowadays is hard to find.​

Welcome to our game.
How we are playing is this... the person who guessed and provided the SCRIPTURE verse accurately as the answer, gets to post up the next search.

You post up a SECULAR phrase. And others try to find the reference IN SCRIPTURE for the answer.

This is based upon using such phrases by unbelievers as lead-ins to talking about God and Christ's sacrifice for our sin. They rarely realize what they "just said" has it's roots in the Bible, God's Word.

So... thusly:

Secular: In the twinkling of an eye
Biblical: NASB (©1995) 1 Corinthians 15:52
in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

Now, my turn again :biggrin

Secular: a house divided against itself cannot stand

Biblical:
Matthew 12:25 (King James Version):

"And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand".

Sorry, I didn't understand the rules. Thanks.
Repeating my last secular: "A good man is hard to find."

Hmmm...this is a good one Spar.

How about

All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way; But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him. Isaiah 53:6

Not sure if this is the text you're thinking of...although it would explain why a good man is hard to find. ;)

Hmmm...this is a good one Spar.

How about

All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way; But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him. Isaiah 53:6

Not sure if this is the text you're thinking of...although it would explain why a good man is hard to find. ;)
You got the right idea, Handy because it's the concept and not the actual saying that roots back to one of the minor prophets whose name begins with an "M". Ooops? Did I say too much?

I thought before it might have been Micah 7:2 which states:

The godly person has perished from the land, And there is no upright person among men. All of them lie in wait for bloodshed; Each of them hunts the other with a net.

Which sort of fits as well. Is that it?

(I think this one gets the prize for being one of the toughest!)

I thought before it might have been Micah 7:2 which states:

The godly person has perished from the land, And there is no upright person among men. All of them lie in wait for bloodshed; Each of them hunts the other with a net.

Which sort of fits as well. Is that it?

(I think this one gets the prize for being one of the toughest!)
:yes

That's it! (KJV Gives more of the "good man is perished" flavor):
Micah 7:2 (King James Version):

"The good man is perished out of the earth: and there is none upright among men: they all lie in wait for blood; they hunt every man his brother with a net."

Ahhh...it does make a difference when there are different translations at play.

Good one Spar!!

Let's see if I can come up with a "stumper" as well.

How about this one:

Red sky at night, Sailor's delight,
Red sky at morning, salior take warning.

:chin

(Mat 16:2-3 KJV) - "He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red. And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?"

Without waiting for the confirmation (bad and presumptuous me) I'll go on and suggest the next:
Secular: "Pin him to the wall"

And the Biblical root is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I thought that would have been a leetle bit tougher!

Did not King Saul try to pin David to the wall?

(am I right...I am aren't I! :biggrin)

OK...after searching and searching for "obscure common" phrases (yes, yes that was oxymoronic) I now present this one:

Honey, you don't know the half of it! ;)

Oh, and just to abide by the rules the reference for "pin him to the wall" is 1 Samuel 19:10.

and king saul saw david and when the spirit of the lord left he tossed a javelin at david whilst he played the harp..

Back