Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

SECULAR SAYINGS THAT HAVE BIBLICAL ROOTS

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Which isn't what?

The original saying, or one of the verses I posted up?

Remember, the saying is used in a myriad of ways today... and likewise the thinking behind the verses are varied as well.

Exactly! That's the game. Secular sayings that have Biblical roots. (They aren't always the same. In fact, they often morph. The basic easy ones haven't morphed much and that's what makes them so easy to us all.)

Secular: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Biblical:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Apocryphal book of Sirach (AKA Ecclesiasticus) we find a verse that sounds similar:

All flesh consorteth according to kind, and a man will cleave to his like. (Sirach 13:16)

Is that what Gazelle meant by “dig deeper�

-HisSheep

And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. (Genesis 1:11)

Bingo?!!! :tongue

I think so but...

I'll wait for confirmation before proceeding.

-HisSheep

Ah yes, good one.... and back to that confused man of Ecclesiastes:

New American Standard Bible (©1995) 8:15
So I commended pleasure, for there is nothing good for a man under the sun except to eat and to drink and to be merry, and this will stand by him in his toils throughout the days of his life which God has given him under the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose I will not be getting an affirmation that that was the verse intended...so I'll move on :)

Secular: writing on the wall

Biblical:

that is in daniel.

and there appeared a hand that wrote on the wall. the king was afraid and he asked for the soothsayers and he was told that daniel whom interpreted his fathers dream.

daniel then told him mene mene tarkel upsharin(though has been weighed and found wanting and not many days hence shall the kingdom be taken).

favorite verse and book of mine.

Yes indeed, Daniel chapter 5 where Beltshazzar gets the message. ;) (and it isn't a good one, the connotation there, and IRL today is it's bad news) Your turn.

GOOD ONE :thumbsup

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate; A time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Ah yes, good one.... and back to that confused man of Ecclesiastes:

New American Standard Bible (©1995) 8:15
So I commended pleasure, for there is nothing good for a man under the sun except to eat and to drink and to be merry, and this will stand by him in his toils throughout the days of his life which God has given him under the sun.
Well done! But, I was actually thinking of:

And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. (Luke 12:19)

I’m a KJV mostly, and in that translation Luke’s use of the term is closer to today’s saying (it’s exact) than Solomon’s. Either way, good on you, I didn’t think of Ecclesiastes. (One of my favorites).

I suppose I will not be getting an affirmation that that was the verse intended...so I'll move on :)
You are wise to move on when I lapse. I don’t always find time to log on here…

But Gazelle, you never gave us another…

How about this one:

“Dumb assâ€

As in “I’m such a dumb-ass.†:toofunny

Where in the bible does it come from?

-HisSheep

ok that comes for the story of the donkey that spoke to balaam.

and lets not get into the curses of that side of house. i know you didnt mean to say it that way but some will take as offense as often that is used that way.

:o I know where you're going with that, but that's a nasty term IRL.

2 Peter 2 : 16 King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.

.... as opposed to Baalam's ass? ;)

Ok...

Secular: stiffnecked

Biblical:

This one is all over the scriptures, but I believe the first use of the term is in Exodus 32:9 "And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people" (KJV)

Here's one: A labor of love

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back