Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Should a Christian go to war?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Alright, Stove, thanks for your input. However Bolts, I wish to be specific on an issue.

StoveBolts, lets take for instance that X is completely a Christian country (no Muslim) and also Y is another (no muslim)...and a misunderstanding arrises between the two countries.

Z is somewhere watching. Z is a muslim country

1. Will you go to war against Christian country Y??

2. You are about to use up your ammo, and Z is willing to sell, would you buy from Z to finish up the war?

for everyone, how much different is physical combat (country vs country)from marrital/family combat (husband vs wife or parents vs children, or ppl of the same faith vs ppl of the same faith)? This is a serious war, right?

Someone should emerge a winner, right? If we can justify physical war...should we also justify the one we experience regualrly at home? War is war.

If X should win and war is justified then the husband/wife or children should also win - so that family wars should also be justified.
Here is my take. There is no such thing as a Christian or Muslim country. Sounds crazy.. I know. But there are good people and there are bad people and even sometimescgood people do bad things.

I would not attack. I would only defend. But I would defend, if pushed, to win.

I would not fight for my country if I thought it was morally wrong unless we got into something so deep the alternative was worse. Ideologies are fine, but how those ideas are lived out is what matters.

So should Christians join the military, and if already in would we have a right to refuse to go to war. Same thing with the cops, they are at war on the streets, do they have a right to kill if they are Christian cops, same principle as war. Muhammed Ali refused war in the name of his faith.
Did anybody see the above post ?

Actually Gary, that is a question: It means, how would Christ feel (the blood shed for these people being killed) when these people are killed during wars...is Christ happy about that?

Your Gospel is one of feelings and emotions, it contradicts the very Word you're trying to uphold.

Think about what you're saying and compare it to actual scripture. If you're honest with yourself, you will see that scripture trumps your feelings.

So should Christians join the military, and if already in would we have a right to refuse to go to war. Same thing with the cops, they are at war on the streets, do they have a right to kill if they are Christian cops, same principle as war. Muhammed Ali refused war in the name of his faith.

The answer is yes a Christian has the right to serve in the military and go to war. I have covered this in previous posts. Paul covered this through the Lord in Romans when he stated governments have do not bear the sword for no reason. Remember there is a time and place for ALL things.

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything
3 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Last edited:
The answer is yes a Christian has the right to serve in the military and go to war. I have covered this in previous posts. Paul covered this through the Lord in Romans when he stated governments have the right to bear the sword. Remember there is a time and place for ALL things.

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything
3 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
You are right but many Christians even though the Bible says otherwise, still say a Christian should not fight. I have even heard on this board you should not even fight a intruder who breaks into your home and rapes the wife. I think the no fight mentality is insane.

You are right but many Christians even though the Bible says otherwise, still say a Christian should not fight. I have even heard on this board you should not even fight a intruder who breaks into your home and rapes the wife. I think the no fight mentality is insane.

That thought is madness and straight from satan. If life is so precious why would God not want us to defend it against such wickedness? Remember also a man has a Godly duty to protect his wife and family, if he doesnt he is wrong and in sin. It is written in 1 Timothy 5:8:
8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

I believe this covers also protecting them physically.

I know a young Christian man that went to Iraq. He was ordered to shoot a child. He refused. The child started to shoot at them and the Sargent ended up shooting the boy. War is ugly. Kill or be killed or let the ones your supposed to be protecting be killed. This young man will be haunted for life at the children he's shot. War is dirty. War sucks. But its a reality of the world we live in. Regardless of religion, if every person committed themselves to non violence, there would be no wars. BTW, wars only show who's got the biggest stick. The don't always show who's right.

No one cares to answer my question: are our family wars also justified for any reason?
A rapist can justify his act. So can a murderer. Just because one can justify something doesn't make it right.
Everyone has their breaking point. We all have the potential to kill. Many kill with words and justify themselves.

Would you espouse taking taxpayer's money when it was sweet to do so, but refuse to do the job you said you would do when you agreed to take that money?

I know a young Christian man that went to Iraq. He was ordered to shoot a child. He refused. The child started to shoot at them and the Sargent ended up shooting the boy. War is ugly. Kill or be killed or let the ones your supposed to be protecting be killed. This young man will be haunted for life at the children he's shot. War is dirty. War sucks. But its a reality of the world we live in. Regardless of religion, if every person committed themselves to non violence, there would be no wars. BTW, wars only show who's got the biggest stick. The don't always show who's right.
Yes many in the war of Vietnam came home with the murder of children on their hands. And sometimes they had to shoot them or the children would shoot them. Also when they had to take a village many innocent women and children were killed.

StoveBolts. How do you define religious war?
When two opposing ideologies over a diety results in bloodshed at the national level. I've heard it called systemic sin. Its when leaders propagate and encourage sin and justify it through their religious lens.

I have continuously quoted scripture and affirmed this, read my previous posts.

Acts 10:1 1 "
At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly."

Enough with this bickering and stone throwing. It seems one can serve and love God and serve the military the Bible affirms this. Amen!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back