Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Should Christians be true friends with non-Christians?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I would like to point out that, one of my best friends is Muslim, why' because we grew up together. But I despise the Muslim faith, I hate the Muslim faith, because it is false, but I love my friend. I also have some Muslims in my family, but one left Islam because he said it did not feel right, and he saw what Christ has done for me. I have met many sweet Muslims, I just hate Islam, so I do not dicuss religion with them, because it will become heated. They will defend theirs, and I will defend mine. But I and my Muslim friend talk mostly everyday, we still go places with each other. I had studied Islam for about a year, so I feel sorry for these poor souls, they do not know that they worship a false faith, but you can still be friends with them.

Lewis W said:
I just hate Islam, so I do not dicuss religion with them, because it will become heated. They will defend theirs, and I will defend mine.
Islam is one of the easiest religions to refute. What sources are you using in your study?

You also say you hate Islam because 'it is a false faith.' Is that really the only reason to hate it?

Don't tell him this, but his holy book tells him not to take Jews/Christians as friends.

Lewis W said:
I would like to point out that, one of my best friends is Muslim, why' because we grew up together. But I despise the Muslim faith, I hate the Muslim faith, because it is false, but I love my friend. I also have some Muslims in my family, but one left Islam because he said it did not feel right, and he saw what Christ has done for me. I have met many sweet Muslims, I just hate Islam, so I do not dicuss religion with them, because it will become heated. They will defend theirs, and I will defend mine. But I and my Muslim friend talk mostly everyday, we still go places with each other. I had studied Islam for about a year, so I feel sorry for these poor souls, they do not know that they worship a false faith, but you can still be friends with them.
:pray

Lewis W said:

Lewis: keep up the good work and keep praying for your Muslim friend.

Our church has a cross-cultural ministry and reaches out to Muslims, especially those in a refugee detention centre not too far away. One of those refugees who has now been released is now a member of our staff at church and is partly responsible for one of our services morphing into an English/Parsi service!! :amen

I did a book review on a book a couple of days ago called Islam In Our Backyard". You may want to check out the post in the Book Reviews section. :study

God Bless

Sanitarium said:
Lewis W said:
I just hate Islam, so I do not dicuss religion with them, because it will become heated. They will defend theirs, and I will defend mine.
Islam is one of the easiest religions to refute. What sources are you using in your study?

You also say you hate Islam because 'it is a false faith.' Is that really the only reason to hate it?

Don't tell him this, but his holy book tells him not to take Jews/Christians as friends.
Yes I can refute, Islam ,and I have many time before, but to keep tempers down, with my friends and relatives, I just let my light shine. And you said something about hating Islam, does not Gal 1, say 2 times, if anybody preach to you another Gospel, let him be accursed ? Do I need to go any further. And they have taken notice of the change in me, and the fact that I give Christ all the glory. They even seen me preach a funeral last month, and not one of them went against what I said. So they know who I am, in Christ. Now if I am forced to get with them, I have no problem with it.

GojuBrian said:
mike111 said:
Why would anyone think its not ok to be friends with non christians.

1 Corinthians 5:9-10
9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world

Well, we can be friends with non-christians, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

Non-christians do non-christians things and we can't participate in certain activities. This draws a line in how far our friendship goes. :)
learned that the hard way.

Lewis W said:
Yes I can refute, Islam ,and I have many time before, but to keep tempers down, with my friends and relatives, I just let my light shine.
hmm I asked what sources you have studied. Why is that so hard to answer? The reason I ask is because I am worried. Many Christians first stop is a Christian website to learn about another religion. However in my experience, these sites and sources (Christian) are almost always woefully lacking in solid rebuttals and in some cases outright wrong. You should always go straight to Islam's own texts or at least find a site that has verifiable analyses of certain issues (plug plug: WikiIslam hehe)

Lewis W said:
And you said something about hating Islam, does not Gal 1, say 2 times, if anybody preach to you another Gospel, let him be accursed ?
hmm yes that's my point - it appears the ONLY reason you hate Islam is the exclusivity of your own religion. Believe me, there are MANY reasons to hate Islam - and none of them should have anything to do with the religion you personally follow.

Lewis W said:
Do I need to go any further.
Yes, please do. I may seem a little harsh, but I think your reasons (and many non-Muslim theists) for hating Islam are absolutely ridiculous. The Muslim can turn and throw the same thing back at you. In fact the Quran says Christianity is completely false - so you will never win in a debate with a Muslim if your basis of argument is the bible.

Lewis W said:
And they have taken notice of the change in me, and the fact that I give Christ all the glory.
Oh! So they're murtad are they? Wonderful!

Lewis W said:
Now if I am forced to get with them, I have no problem with it.
What does that mean? 'get with them?'

In conclusion I'd like to say that I have actually played "Allah's advocate" with Christians - in that I will debate as a Muslim and they do their best to win the debate. They have and will ALWAYS lose (well except Gabe probably heh) because as I said, they have no idea what they're talking about. How do you expect to convince them their religion is wrong if you know nothing about it?

Of course I had to lie (as Allah's advocate) about Islam, but hey, you Christian's don't know better, and you will be walked all over (and destroyed in places) for your lack of knowledge.

Thanks and sorry just some of my general observations about Christians vs. Muslims thrown in along with my comments to you. Thanks for reading :)

I've gotten to know "just of the boat" Muslims on a very personal level. Thank you very much. Before I made my decision to not be close friends with non christians, I preferred friendships with people who were passionate about religion. Period. Jews, Muslims, Hindus...We both taught each other what our respective religion is about. I would have to say they were mostly hard-headed and very biased (espc the men-sorry to sound sexist). But I wouldn't label ALL Muslims as a result of becoming close with 3-4.

That has been my experience has an open-minded Christian.

Hindus were the most calm and giving.
Jews asked the most questions (what if His coming has not occurred yet and you happen to be a part of the gullible ones who were fooled?)
The Muslims created the most conflict (wanted to speak but wouldn't listen to me when I tried to speak)

Then again, I have been to synagogues (with an ex) and Hindu temples and celebrations-with friends. This has probably given me a more positive view of their religion. Not once did any Muslim invite me to their mosque or services.

Fembot said:
Jews asked the most questions (what if His coming has not occurred yet and you happen to be a part of the gullible ones who were fooled?)
The Muslims created the most conflict (wanted to speak but wouldn't listen to me when I tried to speak)

Then again, I have been to synagogues (with an ex) and Hindu temples and celebrations-with friends. This has probably given me a more positive view of their religion. Not once did any Muslim invite me to their mosque or services.
When i was in afghanistan our base had a mosque for the local afghani troops that were asigned to us, and i was invited, but i didn't go violation of a general order. Jason

jasoncran said:
Fembot said:

When i was in afghanistan our base had a mosque for the local afghani troops that were asigned to us, and i was invited, but i didn't go violation of a general order. Jason

Would you have gone if it wasn't a violation?

Fembot said:
...I preferred friendships with people who were passionate about religion. Period. Jews, Muslims, Hindus...We both taught each other what our respective religion is about...

I would like to point out for the benefit of others, that this is the worst possible way to learn of another's faith. Especially when that faith encourages such practices as Taqqiya. Many Muslims are ignorant of their own faith and have not read their own Scriptures in a language that they understand. They may pray, fast, not eat pork and celebrate Eid, but these folks would be what I (and no doubt Sani would) consider nominal (sometimes mistaking labelled “moderateâ€Â) Muslims. They're just following a few of the outward rituals and mistakenly believe that this is Islam. In addition to all this, we have the side of “moderate†Islam that non-Muslims rarely see or want to acknowledge. Wife-beating, child-abuse and anti-Semitism is rampant among them.

If you want to understand what Islam “is about†you need to start with the source; the Quran & Hadith. Passionate and truly devoted Muslims who do not completely ignore the bulk of the teachings found within Islamic scripture would be those that are doing this. From a Christian POV if you want to win Muslims over to Christ, then it is important to know what Islam actually teaches, not the watered-down "faith" which is often peddled in the West to aid in conversions and deflect attention from the root cause of all the violence, perversion and persecution of non-Muslims, women and children at the hands of Muslims in the East and now increasingly in the West.

Sanitarium said:
Lewis W said:
Yes I can refute, Islam ,and I have many time before, but to keep tempers down, with my friends and relatives, I just let my light shine.
hmm I asked what sources you have studied. Why is that so hard to answer? The reason I ask is because I am worried. Many Christians first stop is a Christian website to learn about another religion. However in my experience, these sites and sources (Christian) are almost always woefully lacking in solid rebuttals and in some cases outright wrong. You should always go straight to Islam's own texts or at least find a site that has verifiable analyses of certain issues (plug plug: WikiIslam hehe)

[quote="Lewis W":k80lw71t]
And you said something about hating Islam, does not Gal 1, say 2 times, if anybody preach to you another Gospel, let him be accursed ?
hmm yes that's my point - it appears the ONLY reason you hate Islam is the exclusivity of your own religion. Believe me, there are MANY reasons to hate Islam - and none of them should have anything to do with the religion you personally follow.

Lewis W said:
Do I need to go any further.
Yes, please do. I may seem a little harsh, but I think your reasons (and many non-Muslim theists) for hating Islam are absolutely ridiculous. The Muslim can turn and throw the same thing back at you. In fact the Quran says Christianity is completely false - so you will never win in a debate with a Muslim if your basis of argument is the bible.

Lewis W said:
And they have taken notice of the change in me, and the fact that I give Christ all the glory.
Oh! So they're murtad are they? Wonderful!

Lewis W said:
Now if I am forced to get with them, I have no problem with it.
What does that mean? 'get with them?'

In conclusion I'd like to say that I have actually played "Allah's advocate" with Christians - in that I will debate as a Muslim and they do their best to win the debate. They have and will ALWAYS lose (well except Gabe probably heh) because as I said, they have no idea what they're talking about. How do you expect to convince them their religion is wrong if you know nothing about it?

Of course I had to lie (as Allah's advocate) about Islam, but hey, you Christian's don't know better, and you will be walked all over (and destroyed in places) for your lack of knowledge.

Thanks and sorry just some of my general observations about Christians vs. Muslims thrown in along with my comments to you. Thanks for reading :)[/quote:k80lw71t]
No I do not have to go any further, if I don't want to. Because I do not feel like debating on this. I have done that to many times over the years on this board, over this subject.

Gabe said:
I would like to point out for the benefit of others, that this is the worst possible way to learn of another's faith. Especially when that faith encourages such practices as Taqqiya. Many Muslims are ignorant of their own faith and have not read their own Scriptures in a language that they understand. They may pray, fast, not eat pork and celebrate Eid, but these folks would be what I (and no doubt Sani would) consider nominal (sometimes mistaking labelled “moderateâ€Â) Muslims. They're just following a few of the outward rituals and mistakenly believe that this is Islam. In addition to all this, we have the side of “moderate†Islam that non-Muslims rarely see or want to acknowledge. Wife-beating, child-abuse and anti-Semitism is rampant among them.

If you want to understand what Islam “is about†you need to start with the source; the Quran & Hadith. Passionate and truly devoted Muslims who do not completely ignore the bulk of the teachings found within Islamic scripture would be those that are doing this. From a Christian POV if you want to win Muslims over to Christ, then it is important to know what Islam actually teaches, not the watered-down "faith" which is often peddled in the West to aid in conversions and deflect attention from the root cause of all the violence, perversion and persecution of non-Muslims, women and children at the hands of Muslims in the East and now increasingly in the West.
Excellent post Gabe, I have nothing to add.

Fembot said:
The muslims I met were off the boat. Immigrants. They weren't "from the west."

Yes, I know. My comments were aimed at Muslims in general, not just Western ones.

Gabe said:
Fembot said:
The muslims I met were off the boat. Immigrants. They weren't "from the west."

Yes, I know. My comments were aimed at Muslims in general, not just Western ones.
You are right he was all those things, and many Muslims don't even know it. Like when he mad up a revelation to take his, stepson's wife, to be his wife,and molesting little Ayisha,who was 8 years old and still playing with dolls, at that time.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back