Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Should Christians Keep the Ten Commandments Today???

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
glorydaz said:
The Torah was for the nation of Israel, specifically, and that includes the Ten Commandments which are the stone tablets.
Why then did God require strangers and sojourners to obey the law?

The Word states quite clearly who they were given to.
And what was the reason these were given to Israel?

They are not the only commandments in the world.
Virtually every nation on earth's legal system is based on them.

They were given because the children of Israel, in their conceit, asked for them, just the way they asked for Kings and Judges.
Where can I find the verses that describe the COI asking for the Ten Commandments?

The Sabbath, specifically was given as a sign of their deliverance from Egypt.
In the second reading of the law this is very true. Are you suggesting that God's redemptive work is somehow finished? Are you suggesting that we should no longer remember and rejoice in God's creative work?

glorydaz said:
If you think for one minute the law is keeping people from sinning you're sadly mistaken.
I don't think anyone has made such a suggestion. I know I haven't and I know BL hasn't.

The law reveals sin...that's it.
Ummm, that's quite a bit don't you think?

We're free from the law because we are under grace.
Should we sin more then so grace abounds?

Perhaps we need a thread to explain that concept.
Yes, that might be good.
Grace does not...nor has it ever...been a license to sin.
To break the law.

The only ones who believe that are those who insist on keeping themselves under the law.
You know the world might be a better place if people considered the law of God more, don't you think? I mean seriously who wouldn't want to live in a world where we didn't have to have locks on our doors and homes and prisons? These things we be unnecessary in Heaven because everyone there will understand and respect God's commandments.

glorydaz said:
RND said:
DarcyLu said:
And PLEASE do not come back and say - but we do NOT keep the Sabbath and that is in the 10 commandments like I know you will do, the 10 commandments were a shadow of Christ, now we have the real Christ in us who is our Sabbath.
So what was the shadow that the 7th commandment pointed to?

LOL Not everything has a shadow...some things are straight-up noon. :yes
There are still shadows at noon, que no?

Brother Lionel said:
Thats great Son of Israel,

So are you saying that after a person receives Christ into his/her life, that they are free to live a life disobeying the Ten Commandments and still consider themselves living in the will of God? An example would be someone who claimed to be a Christian but yet they consistently, unrepently bowed down to buddha statues or worshipped at islamic shrines. Are their fruits exemplifying a Christian lifestyle?? If no, then you, by default, recognize that they are breaking one of the Ten Commandments by worshipping other gods, and if they are breaking one the Ten Commandments, then by default, they are still binding, correct?

Hi I'm not sure you were replying to my post Lionel, You appear to be referring to someone else?

It's probably been said already but I believe that no-one is made righteous or justified by observing the written code. However, those who are born of the Spirit of Life will fulfil it - not because it is written in the pages of a book, but because it is written in their heart.

Re: Sabbath Made For Man ...

This scripture is in terms of justification glorydaz... Not living an obedient life for God...[/quote]
You only think that because you don't know about Jesus being our Sabbath Rest.
Let me guess, you're a SDA or JW, right?
I sense we're not on the same page, nor are we likely to find agreement.
But, yes, I am quite serious about Jesus' work on the cross...I dislike man taking any glory that is His alone.[/quote]

Hey, I am not Jewish or Advent, yet, I DO LOVE MY MASTER! And you post that [you are quite serious..]?? :screwloose If you were on this end of the viewing you would not need to be told that.

--Elijah

"If you love me keep my Fathers commandments." That seems to be easy enough to understand. Why would any who call themselves Christians contradict Christ?

I had an SDA friend a few years back and he spent his entire time trying to convince me my Sabbath was not Christ, but it was a day. When I say his entire time, I really do mean it, too, instead of talking about Jesus' grace and what Jesus did for us and building up His church, my friend had complete tunnel vision and could only focus on this one thing. Who knows, maybe one of you is my long lost friend.

Reader, can you see the keepers of the law also like to judge?
We do see certain characteristics of those under the law, but one important thing is missing, and that is fruit. Provoking one another, strife, heresies, desiring vain glory...these are always a sign of someone walking in the flesh instead of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness...these are what are missing from the keepers of the law. This is the difference between law and grace.

Gal. 5:13-26 said:
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

DarcyLu said:
I had an SDA friend a few years back and he spent his entire time trying to convince me my Sabbath was not Christ, but it was a day. When I say his entire time, I really do mean it, too, instead of talking about Jesus' grace and what Jesus did for us and building up His church, my friend had complete tunnel vision and could only focus on this one thing. Who knows, maybe one of you is my long lost friend.
Grace is for those who are not deliberate law breakers. Should God extend His grace for those who have no interest in keeping His commandments? Yahshua and the disciples preached the keeping of the commandments. The Sunday Sabbath is a commandment of a man, not God. Why should I follow that beast (nation) who instituted a Sunday Sabbath, or even praise the Vatican for doing so.

mdo757 said:
"If you love me keep my Fathers commandments." That seems to be easy enough to understand. Why would any who call themselves Christians contradict Christ?

Hey DarcyLu:
The Words above are from God! He uses NO FORCE, just do as you please. And what FRIEND would not want us to LOVE GOD??? Personally from this end, I see the Hobby/horse ones in Rev. 17:1-5 & ALL united in Babblying! Matt. 6:24 :crazy Only belive! God in bottom/line lied to Eve about death! Gods memorial of creation is really the first day! God is going to burn any lost sinner in hell eternally! And both this one & the saved have immortality, and Christ was created! And we will party in heaven with achohol & we will leave earth & sinners here soon & they will have another chance! and the pope?? whatever. And our sabbath that is Gods Sabbath is now our sabbath rest in Christ.. along with the manservent, maid + the livestock! And on *& on!

Won't you be happy when it is ALL OVER? --Elijah

by DarcyLu on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:34 am

DarcyLu said:
I had an SDA friend a few years back and he spent his entire time trying to convince me my Sabbath was not Christ, but it was a day.
He was attempting to do you a favor.

When I say his entire time, I really do mean it, too, instead of talking about Jesus' grace and what Jesus did for us and building up His church, my friend had complete tunnel vision and could only focus on this one thing. Who knows, maybe one of you is my long lost friend.
I think the insinuation here is that SDA's don't talk about the love and grace of Jesus. Tell me how does one show their love for the King?

Talking or doing?

glorydaz said:
Reader, can you see the keepers of the law also like to judge?
No one has judged you here in this thread. They have pointed out the error of certain of your beliefs.
We do see certain characteristics of those under the law, but one important thing is missing, and that is fruit. Provoking one another, strife, heresies, desiring vain glory...these are always a sign of someone walking in the flesh instead of the Spirit.
glorydaz, when you were insinuating that some of us lacked understanding and were members of a cult was this fruit of the Spirit?

Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness...these are what are missing from the keepers of the law.
That's your personal judgment. Tell me is making blanket references regarding character a fruit of the Spirit? Does that fall under gentleness or meekness?

This is the difference between law and grace.
No, it's not the difference between 'law and grace'. Those gratefully bestowed with grace seek to honor the King by hearing Him and being obedient.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

The saints keep the commandments of God.

glorydaz said:
Brother Lionel said:
Glorydaz, all of those verses are speaking of justification or salvation, not obedience. We must properly understand the scriptural context when reading the bible my friend. Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments, and the bible also says that showing love towards God is keeping His commandments. Now you can argue with me all day but, please my friend, dont argue with scripture...

Don't patronize me, especially when you only succeed in showing your blindness to the Word.
The Word, itself, should convict you of your sin.
I thought BL was under grace, not under law, so why would the word convict him? Isn't that the Holy Spirits job now?

But if you're so set in it, you can read it all day long and no understanding will come.
More judgment. Which fruit of the Spirit is that again?
I'm not the one arguing with you....the sword does it's own work. :amen
Well glorydaz it's just my observation but I would say you are arguing against the word of God myself.

Son of Israel said:
[quote="Brother Lionel":lsasvwe9]Thats great Son of Israel,

So are you saying that after a person receives Christ into his/her life, that they are free to live a life disobeying the Ten Commandments and still consider themselves living in the will of God? An example would be someone who claimed to be a Christian but yet they consistently, unrepently bowed down to buddha statues or worshipped at islamic shrines. Are their fruits exemplifying a Christian lifestyle?? If no, then you, by default, recognize that they are breaking one of the Ten Commandments by worshipping other gods, and if they are breaking one the Ten Commandments, then by default, they are still binding, correct?

Hi I'm not sure you were replying to my post Lionel, You appear to be referring to someone else?[/quote:lsasvwe9] I think BL is asking you questions.

That so-called faith in Christ which professes to release men from the obligation of obedience to God (i.e. obeying His word), is not faith, but presumption. "By grace are ye saved through faith." But "faith, if it hath not works, is dead." Ephesians 2:8; James 2:17

RND said:
Son of Israel said:
[quote="Brother Lionel":2of5vreq]Thats great Son of Israel,

Hi I'm not sure you were replying to my post Lionel, You appear to be referring to someone else?
I think BL is asking you questions.[/quote:2of5vreq]

Oh!
Well if Lionel's question is referring to me I don't understand why he would say I said something I didn't say? free to live disobeying??
And why use an example of a speculative mythical non-christian who "claims" to be a chistian, then argue a mythical application of the O.T. 10 commandments??
Why would I care how that pretend "christian" considers themself??

This thread that I answered was should "Christians" keep the 10 commandments?
I am a Christian, not the person Lionel described, and as a Christian, the answer is
"of course not!"
Neither do I see the wisdom or inspiration of the Holy Spirit in choosing to invent an un-related hypothetical scenario about a non-christian, then jump into his supposed disobedience as though I was His Lord or King or something lol.

Son of Israel

Is Sunday Sabbath? part 1

[youtube:11drp9fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HG0CF3tiE[/youtube:11drp9fs]

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back