Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Should Christians Keep the Ten Commandments Today???

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Sabbath Made For Man ...

vja4Him said:
Mark 2:27

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath."

So...does this verse mean that the seventh-day Sabbath has been transferred to Sunday or does it mean that the purpose of the Sabbath was for the benefit of man to rest and enjoy a labor-free day as God commanded?? And not to "serve" the Sabbath like a burden which was brought on by the man-made laws of the Jewish religious leaders???

glorydaz said:
You're first example is of Jewish women who were accustomed to keeping the Sabbath.

The others are when Paul went to preach the Gospel...he was not following the Sabbath Law.
He was preaching the good news that they could enter into the Sabbath rest.

Ok, what about the Gentiles who kept the Sabbath???...

Acts 13:42-44
And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Brother Lionel said:
I guess the subject title said it all. Its a simple question that I feel needs to be addressed within the Christian community. If you believe that we do, why? If you believe that we dont, why?

I don't believe this.

RND said:
glorydaz said:
You make a mockery of something you don't understand.
I understand your position glorydaz, I just don't agree with it.

If you are content to simply follow the Ten Commandments, then be my guest.
Thanks although I was unaware I needed your permission.

[quote:1qtu49n0] It certainly frees you up from the higher calling Jesus taught.
I'm not freed from anything. In fact, the more that is given to a man the greater is expected of him.

Do you notice how easy it is to keep the 10 as opposed to what we are called to do? :nod
Hmm, funny I thought Jesus has His yoke was light.[/quote:1qtu49n0]

His burden is light because we have the Holy Spirit, otherwise, it would be even more impossible than the stone law was.

And please stop poking needlessly. I realize you don't want to hear what I have to say, but it isn't exactly showing fruit when you have to add sarcasm to the discussion. As I said, you're certainly free to your opinion, and I realize you don't need my "permission"...I'm simply stating a fact. If I didn't say it, you'd be accusing me of trying to push my beliefs onto you. I'm trying to be as upfront and honest as I can be, and still you seem to get offended and defensive.

glorydaz said:
Just because you have made a personal decision to try and follow the Sabbath Law, does not mean it wasn't meant only for the nation of Israel for a specific purpose...which our Lord did not keep and which He asked none of us to keep.
I will agree one purpose of the sabbath was to set His people apart from the other nations.

You don't want to see, so, naturally, you dismiss any evidence given from the Word.
What evidence has been offered that says the sabbath was done away with? All I have seen offered is Hebrews 4 which as been shown to be misunderstood by most.

You're forced to look to the Old Testament to support your belief that it's in effect for Christians.
Well in that it is the word of God I see nothing wrong with that. I mean it does make up over 2/3's of the Bible so I doubt God wants us to ignore it.

The Sabbath and the other ordinances were but a shadow of the Christ who was to come.
Again, if the sabbath was a shadow that would mean the other commandments were as well. How did the 7th commandment foreshadow Jesus?

Col. 2:13-17 said:
13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Did God "hand write" His law or did He speak it?

Here we see why the Jews were not allowed to enter into Christ's sabbath rest. While He was working, they hardened their hearts...still observing the Sabbath Law, I might add.
The Jews rejected Jesus because they claimed He wasn't the Messiah and were afraid He would take away their place, their power structure.

Heb. 3:6-11 said:
But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. 1Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

The ancient Israelites didn't enter the promised land because of disobedience.

Jesus is our Sabbath rest...we're to cease from our own works, and allow Him to work through us.
So does that mean we don't have to follow the Ten Commandments anymore?

Hebrews 4:9-11 said:
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
Sabbatismos.

Brother Lionel said:
glorydaz said:
Of course the physical part, too, is covered in Jesus's commands

Where?? He said "but I say unto you". "But" means on the contrary so Jesus did nto address the physical part of the law. But does that mean that He abolished them?? No...

They've waxed old. And, I might add, the Sabbath was never in any commandment Jesus gave us.

Waxed old??? So something that came from a perfect God "waxed old"?? And the first four was never addressed by Jesus, do then avoid these along with the seventh day as well??

Just telling you what the Word says, brother.

These are not my thoughts...I'm just the messenger.
Hebrews 8:13 said:
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

glorydaz said:
His burden is light because we have the Holy Spirit, otherwise, it would be even more impossible than the stone law was.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the phrase and how it has to do with how Jewish teachers were viewed.

And please stop poking needlessly.
I'm not poking you. If you feel that way it might be the Holy Spirit trying to get your attention!

I realize you don't want to hear what I have to say, but it isn't exactly showing fruit when you have to add sarcasm to the discussion.
glorydaz, I have enjoyed your input very much, I think the only hostility you're feeling is yours.

As I said, you're certainly free to your opinion, and I realize you don't need my "permission"...I'm simply stating a fact.
What fact? That I am free to observe the sabbath without your permission?
If I didn't say it, you'd be accusing me of trying to push my beliefs onto you.
No I wouldn't. Your beliefs are yours and mine are mine and nothing you can say will effect them. I respect your right to express your views without having those views effect mine. This is something we teach in prison ministry.

I'm trying to be as upfront and honest as I can be, and still you seem to get offended and defensive.
glorydaz, I am neither upset nor offended. You are certainly entitled to your POV and you are free yo express it.

DarcyLu said:
Brother Lionel said:
DarcyLu said:
Of course it was a way of living and a habit for him, he had been a jew his entire life! It doesn't mean he "kept" it and he did not keep it.

So, at first you admit that it was his way of life to keep the Sabbath but you then say that this fact doesnt mean that he kept it??? Explain...

DarcyLu said:
He went to preach the NEW sabbath, where all the people were. Paul's Sabbath was Christ - he preached that very thing.

Where?? Where do you read that the sacredness and holiness of the seventh day has been transferred to Sunday? Because the bible I read tells me that God only decreed one day holy and thats the seventh one. Show me where God decreed Sunday holy like He did the seventh day?
Ummm.......we weren't even talking about WHICH day was the Sabbath and it does NOT matter which day you pick to be your Sabbath, you don't even need to pick a day. Just pick Jesus and you're good to go. :)
I guess one can be "a little" pregnant.

Brother Lionel said:
vja4Him said:
Mark 2:27

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath."

So...does this verse mean that the seventh-day Sabbath has been transferred to Sunday or does it mean that the purpose of the Sabbath was for the benefit of man to rest and enjoy a labor-free day as God commanded?? And not to "serve" the Sabbath like a burden which was brought on by the man-made laws of the Jewish religious leaders???

While you wait for his answer, I'll respond...
It is speaking of Jesus being our Sabbath rest. We can cease from our efforts to obey a law that leads to condemnation and can allow His Holy Spirit to do His work through us. Practically, it works out like this...We no longer have to work to keep the law, our work of faith is to allow Him to use us for His greater glory.
Romans 4:4-5 said:
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

glorydaz said:
It is speaking of Jesus being our Sabbath rest. We can cease from our efforts to obey a law that leads to condemnation and can allow His Holy Spirit to do His work through us.
Where does it say this?

Practically, it works out like this...We no longer have to work to keep the law, our work of faith is to allow Him to use us for His greater glory.
Hmmm, there are some groups and deniminations that profess having multiple wife's and concubines is OK. How would you convince someone that this is not the desire of God especially when the attitude is that "We no longer have to work to keep the law"?

Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
I Paul saying we no longer have to keep the law in light of his teaching in Romans 3?

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

glorydaz said:
It is speaking of Jesus being our Sabbath rest.

So, when Jesus said the "Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath", you think He was implying that He was our rest?? Seriously???

glorydaz said:
We can cease from our efforts to obey a law that leads to condemnation and can allow His Holy Spirit to do His work through us.

I agree here, but if the Holy Spirit empowers us keep the law, then we will naturally keep the ten commandments...

glorydaz said:
Practically, it works out like this...We no longer have to work to keep the law, our work of faith is to allow Him to use us for His greater glory.

No one said we have to keep the law in order to be saved my friend... We are saying that we should live in obedience towards God after we are saved... And practically, it is still a sin to physically commit murder, dishonor our parents, lie, cheat, steal, and covet. Therefore, it is still expected for Christians to keep the commadments. Thats like saying I am a Christian but I am unrepently commiting physical adultery. Are my fruits showing a saved Christian lifestyle?? No.....

glorydaz said:

This scripture is in terms of justification glorydaz... Not living an obedient life for God...

Man=Mankind. The sabbath was made for Mankind. Yahshua said: 'If you love me keep my Fathers commandments. He also said for us to not think the laws have been done away with. The New Covenant is the renewing of the Old Covenant, but with a few changes.

mdo757 said:
Man=Mankind. The sabbath was made for Mankind. Yahshua said: 'If you love me keep my Fathers commandments. He also said for us to not think the laws have been done away with. The New Covenant is the renewing of the Old Covenant, but with a few changes.
Stop making so much sense! :lol

Brother Lionel said:
glorydaz said:
It is speaking of Jesus being our Sabbath rest.

So, when Jesus said the "Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath", you think He was implying that He was our rest?? Seriously???

Actually, I'm surprised you're so shocked. Most Christians know that.
glorydaz said:
[quote="Romans 4:4-5":397w7bdo] Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

This scripture is in terms of justification glorydaz... Not living an obedient life for God...[/quote:397w7bdo]
You only think that because you don't know about Jesus being our Sabbath Rest.
Let me guess, you're a SDA or JW, right?
I sense we're not on the same page, nor are we likely to find agreement.
But, yes, I am quite serious about Jesus' work on the cross...I dislike man taking any glory that is His alone.

RND said:
mdo757 said:
Stop making so much sense! :lol

Uh, I hate to break up this little back-slapping party but you have a few minor details you'll have to explain before you make any kind of a case. No one from Adam to Moses obeyed the Sabbath Law, nor did Jesus or the Apostles ever tell us to keep the Sabbath Law. If I need to explain how not all of God's commandments and laws are the Old Covenant, I'll do it again even though I've done it already. First you need to understand the concept of fulfill. You stumble over that at every turn.

The New Covenant is not a "renewing with a few changes", so maybe you should put forth scripture to prove what you say. You can't ....without doing some major twisting as in "all men" means the "elect".

We really don't need these cultish ideas being put forth as doctrine.
It's already gotten way out of hand on some of the other threads...I'd sure hate to see it happen here, as well. Put up scripture if you have a leg to stand on....use your sword instead of your pep-squad. That proves nothing.

glorydaz said:
You only think that because you don't know about Jesus being our Sabbath Rest.
Let me guess, you're a SDA or JW, right?
I sense we're not on the same page, nor are we likely to find agreement.
But, yes, I am quite serious about Jesus' work on the cross...I dislike man taking any glory that is His alone.

First of all, SDA's are not the only sabbath-keeping Christians. Second of all, JW's believe that the WHOLE old testament was dont away so I think we're clear on what I am not...

And I too take Jesus' work on the cross quite seriously. I sense that we are not on the same page because Christ' death on the cross guarantees that God's law still stands. Think about it this way, if God could have removed the law, then that wouldve removed our sin because sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4). And where there is no law, there's no sin (Romans 3:20, 5:13). So if the law wouldve been removed, then sin wouldnt have been present. And if sin wasnt present, then there was no need for a Savior to save us from sin, and if there was no need for a Savior, then Christ would not have to die for us. And yet because Christ died for us, He shows us that His law is still the standard. Think about it...

glorydaz said:
Uh, I hate to break up this little back-slapping party but you have a few minor details you'll have to explain before you make any kind of a case. No one from Adam to Moses obeyed the Sabbath Law, nor did Jesus or the Apostles ever tell us to keep the Sabbath Law. If I need to explain how not all of God's commandments and laws are the Old Covenant, I'll do it again even though I've done it already. First you need to understand the concept of fulfill. You stumble over that at every turn.

Wrong again...

Genesis 26:5
(God speaking) Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Genesis 39:9
(Joseph speaking) There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness (adultery), and sin against God?

glorydaz said:
The New Covenant is not a "renewing with a few changes", so maybe you should put forth scripture to prove what you say. You can't ....without doing some major twisting as in "all men" means the "elect".

Sure...

Jeremiah 31:31 & 33

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah. But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The New Covenant also excludes the ceremonial laws...

Clear enough for you??

glorydaz said:
We really don't need these cultish ideas being put forth as doctrine.
It's already gotten way out of hand on some of the other threads...I'd sure hate to see it happen here, as well. Put up scripture if you have a leg to stand on....use your sword instead of your pep-squad. That proves nothing.

Thats funny, thats the same thing they told Jesus and the apostles... :clap

Hi!
I'm new here, so I haven't read all the posts answering this question so I'm sure that many have already revealed that we as Christians in the New Law of Life in Christ know that we aren't under that Old Law system.
In my Life in Christ and His Righteousness being manifest in me every moment of every day, I never give thought to anything except the Righteousness of Christ in me and only think and move and have my being in His Holy Spirit in me.
I don't live my life in Christ with lawlessness, so I don't ever have to think of the "law" or "thou shalt not" commandments.
Now I live in His Law of Liberty!
I hope that makes sense :)
Love and Blessings in Christ!
Son of Israel

Son of Israel said:
Hi!
I'm new here, so I haven't read all the posts answering this question so I'm sure that many have already revealed that we as Christians in the New Law of Life in Christ know that we aren't under that Old Law system.
In my Life in Christ and His Righteousness being manifest in me every moment of every day, I never give thought to anything except the Righteousness of Christ in me and only think and move and have my being in His Holy Spirit in me.
I don't live my life in Christ with lawlessness, so I don't ever have to think of the "law" or "thou shalt not" commandments.
Now I live in His Law of Liberty!
I hope that makes sense :)
Love and Blessings in Christ!
Son of Israel
:thumb That's what we've been trying to say!

hi Son of Israel :wave welcome. Maybe they will be nice to your post because you are new. :)

Thats great Son of Israel,

So are you saying that after a person receives Christ into his/her life, that they are free to live a life disobeying the Ten Commandments and still consider themselves living in the will of God? An example would be someone who claimed to be a Christian but yet they consistently, unrepently bowed down to buddha statues or worshipped at islamic shrines. Are their fruits exemplifying a Christian lifestyle?? If no, then you, by default, recognize that they are breaking one of the Ten Commandments by worshipping other gods, and if they are breaking one the Ten Commandments, then by default, they are still binding, correct?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back