Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Christians Keep the Ten Commandments Today???

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Brother Lionel said:
Thats great Son of Israel,

So are you saying that after a person receives Christ into his/her life, that they are free to live a life disobeying the Ten Commandments and still consider themselves living in the will of God? An example would be someone who claimed to be a Christian but yet they consistently, unrepently bowed down to buddha statues or worshipped at islamic shrines. Are their fruits exemplifying a Christian lifestyle?? If no, then you, by default, recognize that they are breaking one of the Ten Commandments by worshipping other gods, and if they are breaking one the Ten Commandments, then by default, they are still binding, correct?
:lol
Why would a Christian bow down to a buddha statue - this is a ridiculous attempt on your part.
We are to LOVE THE LORD WITH ALL OF OUR HEART, MIND AND SOUL. If Christians live within the 2 commandments Christ gave us - then we will not, I repeat not, do anything the 10 commandments tell us not to do.

The Word tells us that our faith is dead w/out works, of course we need works otherwise our faith is dead.

Fruit = Christ = the Word

Re: Sabbath Made For Man ...

Brother Lionel said:
glorydaz said:
You only think that because you don't know about Jesus being our Sabbath Rest.
Let me guess, you're a SDA or JW, right?
I sense we're not on the same page, nor are we likely to find agreement.
But, yes, I am quite serious about Jesus' work on the cross...I dislike man taking any glory that is His alone.

First of all, SDA's are not the only sabbath-keeping Christians. Second of all, JW's believe that the WHOLE old testament was dont away so I think we're clear on what I am not...

And I too take Jesus' work on the cross quite seriously. I sense that we are not on the same page because Christ' death on the cross guarantees that God's law still stands. Think about it this way, if God could have removed the law, then that wouldve removed our sin because sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4). And where there is no law, there's no sin (Romans 3:20, 5:13). So if the law wouldve been removed, then sin wouldnt have been present. And if sin wasnt present, then there was no need for a Savior to save us from sin, and if there was no need for a Savior, then Christ would not have to die for us. And yet because Christ died for us, He shows us that His law is still the standard. Think about it...

God did not remove the law...He gave us a new and better Covenant. It's as simple as that.

And PLEASE do not come back and say - but we do NOT keep the Sabbath and that is in the 10 commandments like I know you will do, the 10 commandments were a shadow of Christ, now we have the real Christ in us who is our Sabbath.

Son of Israel said:
Hi!
I'm new here, so I haven't read all the posts answering this question so I'm sure that many have already revealed that we as Christians in the New Law of Life in Christ know that we aren't under that Old Law system.
In my Life in Christ and His Righteousness being manifest in me every moment of every day, I never give thought to anything except the Righteousness of Christ in me and only think and move and have my being in His Holy Spirit in me.
I don't live my life in Christ with lawlessness, so I don't ever have to think of the "law" or "thou shalt not" commandments.
Now I live in His Law of Liberty!
I hope that makes sense :)
Love and Blessings in Christ!
Son of Israel
It makes perfect sense to me, brother. :thumb

DarcyLu said:
Why would a Christian bow down to a buddha statue - this is a ridiculous attempt on your part.

Ridiculous?? You'd be surprised as to what certain Christians say and believe my friend. No disrespect but your respose sounds like you havent been exposed to much so keep living... You'll see what Im talking about...

DarcyLu said:
We are to LOVE THE LORD WITH ALL OF OUR HEART, MIND AND SOUL. If Christians live within the 2 commandments Christ gave us - then we will not, I repeat not, do anything the 10 commandments tell us not to do.

Did you know that these two commandments are Old Testament Commandments?? Jesus was only repeating what was in the Torah...

DarcyLu said:
The Word tells us that our faith is dead w/out works, of course we need works otherwise our faith is dead.

So...does that mean that we shouldnt do things like dow down to idols or disrepect our parents??? Hhmmmm :chin And I think you mean the following, Christ=love=obedience:

1 John 5:2, 3
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Brother Lionel said:
Thats great Son of Israel,

So are you saying that after a person receives Christ into his/her life, that they are free to live a life disobeying the Ten Commandments and still consider themselves living in the will of God? An example would be someone who claimed to be a Christian but yet they consistently, unrepently bowed down to buddha statues or worshipped at islamic shrines. Are their fruits exemplifying a Christian lifestyle?? If no, then you, by default, recognize that they are breaking one of the Ten Commandments by worshipping other gods, and if they are breaking one the Ten Commandments, then by default, they are still binding, correct?

Now why in the world would you jump to that conclusion? :crazy

No one is advocating sin. NO ONE.
I will say this again...you can obey every single one of the Ten Commandments and still be sinning.
The law of Christ brought a much higher standard.

Grace and Truth came by Jesus...not Moses.
John 1:17 said:
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
We are DEAD TO THE LAW by the body of Christ.
Romans 7:4 said:
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Christ is the END OF THE LAW for believers.
Romans 10:4 said:
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
We are under the LAW OF CHRIST...not the stone law of Moses.
1 Corinthians 9:21 said:
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
Man is not justified by the works of the law.
Galatians 2:16 said:
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
If righteousness comes by the law...CHRIST DIED IN VAIN.
Galatians 2:21 said:
I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Christ has redeemed us from the CURSE OF THE LAW.
Galatians 3:13 said:
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
The law was but our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.
Galatians 3:24 said:
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
If you're justified by the law, you're FALLEN FROM GRACE.
Galatians 5:4 said:
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

glorydaz said:
God did not remove the law...

really!!!???? :clap

glorydaz said:
He gave us a new and better Covenant. It's as simple as that.

It is as simple as that, but in regards to the New Covenant, His law never changed, the surface at which it is written will. The old was written on stone, the new will be written on our hearts and in our minds.

Its funny that you mentioned the New Covenant because many Christians believe that the New Covenant has been fulfilled but the bible teaches us that it hasn't. The New Covenant will be fulfilled when Christ returns and establishes His eternal kingdom.

This is why He said "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."

This is also confirmed In Jeremiah 31:34 where God is descrbing the New Covenant. And He says "And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

So, you are correct in that He gave us a better Covenant, but its very important to properly understand what the New Covenant is.

Glorydaz, all of those verses are speaking of justification or salvation, not obedience. We must properly understand the scriptural context when reading the bible my friend. Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments, and the bible also says that showing love towards God is keeping His commandments. Now you can argue with me all day but, please my friend, dont argue with scripture...

And in one hand you say that you are not advocating sin, but on the other hand you say that we "free from the law". This is contradictory because the bible says that sin is the transgression of the law. Does it not??

Brother Lionel said:
DarcyLu said:

Ridiculous?? You'd be surprised as to what certain Christians say and believe my friend. No disrespect but your respose sounds like you havent been exposed to much so keep living... You'll see what Im talking about...

DarcyLu said:

Did you know that these two commandments are Old Testament Commandments?? Jesus was only repeating what was in the Torah...

DarcyLu said:

So...does that mean that we shouldnt do things like dow down to idols or disrepect our parents??? Hhmmmm :chin And I think you mean the following, Christ=love=obedience:

1 John 5:2, 3
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
I doubt any of us are so simple as to believe that all who claim to be Christians are, in fact, Christians.

The Torah was for the nation of Israel, specifically, and that includes the Ten Commandments which are the stone tablets. The Word states quite clearly who they were given to. They are not the only commandments in the world. They were given because the children of Israel, in their conceit, asked for them, just the way they asked for Kings and Judges. The Sabbath, specifically was given as a sign of their deliverance from Egypt.

Brother Lionel said:
And in one hand you say that you are not advocating sin, but on the other hand you say that we "free from the law". This is contradictory because the bible says that sin is the transgression of the law. Does it not??

If you think for one minute the law is keeping people from sinning you're sadly mistaken.

The law reveals sin...that's it.

We're free from the law because we are under grace.
Perhaps we need a thread to explain that concept.
Grace does not...nor has it ever...been a license to sin.
The only ones who believe that are those who insist on keeping themselves under the law.

Brother Lionel said:
glorydaz said:
God did not remove the law...

really!!!???? :clap Don't take my words out of context. That's deceitful. :shame

glorydaz said:
He gave us a new and better Covenant. It's as simple as that.

It is as simple as that, but in regards to the New Covenant, His law never changed, the surface at which it is written will. The old was written on stone, the new will be written on our hearts and in our minds. The Old was placed inside the Holy of Holies for a reason. Do you have any idea why?
Its funny that you mentioned the New Covenant because many Christians believe that the New Covenant has been fulfilled but the bible teaches us that it hasn't. The New Covenant will be fulfilled when Christ returns and establishes His eternal kingdom. Wrong...He did it at the cross. Why do you people insist on diminishing His work on the cross? Do you not know what, "It is finished", means?This is why He said "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." That has nothing to do with His work on the cross and His fulfillment of the law. :shame
This is also confirmed In Jeremiah 31:34 where God is descrbing the New Covenant. And He says "And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Done...already done. We have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us...our sins are forgiven and are remembered no more.

So, you are correct in that He gave us a better Covenant, but its very important to properly understand what the New Covenant is.

It certainly is...just look at the error we're uncovering. :yes

Brother Lionel said:
Glorydaz, all of those verses are speaking of justification or salvation, not obedience. We must properly understand the scriptural context when reading the bible my friend. Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments, and the bible also says that showing love towards God is keeping His commandments. Now you can argue with me all day but, please my friend, dont argue with scripture...

Don't patronize me, especially when you only succeed in showing your blindness to the Word.
The Word, itself, should convict you of your sin. But if you're so set in it, you can read it all day long and no understanding will come. I'm not the one arguing with you....the sword does it's own work. :amen

DarcyLu said:
And PLEASE do not come back and say - but we do NOT keep the Sabbath and that is in the 10 commandments like I know you will do, the 10 commandments were a shadow of Christ, now we have the real Christ in us who is our Sabbath.
So what was the shadow that the 7th commandment pointed to?

RND said:
DarcyLu said:

LOL Not everything has a shadow...some things are straight-up noon. :yes

Son of Israel said:
Hi!
I'm new here, so I haven't read all the posts answering this question so I'm sure that many have already revealed that we as Christians in the New Law of Life in Christ know that we aren't under that Old Law system.
Meaning we no longer have sacrifice bulls, goats, sheep, etc. or that we no longer have to obey the Ten Commandments?
In my Life in Christ and His Righteousness being manifest in me every moment of every day, I never give thought to anything except the Righteousness of Christ in me and only think and move and have my being in His Holy Spirit in me.
As we all should.

I don't live my life in Christ with lawlessness, so I don't ever have to think of the "law" or "thou shalt not" commandments.
Does that mean that there is no more law? For example do you get 100% on the 1 Corinthians 13 test?

Now I live in His Law of Liberty!
Which is what? BTW, are you suggesting that you are free to do whatever you want?

I hope that makes sense :)
Sorta.

Love and Blessings in Christ!
Son of Israel
Same to you my brother.

glorydaz said:
RND said:
DarcyLu said:

LOL Not everything has a shadow...some things are straight-up noon. :yes
Well, just askin'. I mean if one of the Ten Commandments was a shadow then it only stands to reason so to were the other nine.

What if I agreed that the sabbath was a shadow that pointed to our rest in Christ what then does the 9th commandment point to? The 7th? The 2nd? I would imagine the answers should be somewhere in scripture. These examples should be easily pointed to.

glorydaz said:
Uh, I hate to break up this little back-slapping party but you have a few minor details you'll have to explain before you make any kind of a case. No one from Adam to Moses obeyed the Sabbath Law, nor did Jesus or the Apostles ever tell us to keep the Sabbath Law.
How do you know that? Do you have anything that we could reference that would help us to understand this? What do you make of Gen. 26:5? The word law in that verse is translated Torah. Apparently Abraham obeyed God's Torah.

If I need to explain how not all of God's commandments and laws are the Old Covenant, I'll do it again even though I've done it already.
Yes, I would like to see that because I don't believe you made this point.

First you need to understand the concept of fulfill. You stumble over that at every turn.
Yes, it means to "fill full" or to "fill up". Gives one the mental picture of a cup running over.

The New Covenant is not a "renewing with a few changes", so maybe you should put forth scripture to prove what you say. You can't ....without doing some major twisting as in "all men" means the "elect".
All men definitely refers to mankind. And I certainly agree that the New Covenant is not a "renewing with a few changes".
We really don't need these cultish ideas being put forth as doctrine.
glorydaz, I think you are beginning to lose any credibility in your arguments with the name calling. It weakens your argument and shows that you're on your last legs. When you have to try and make things personal it is a sure sign that your argumentation is failing. No one has said anything disparaging to you.

It's already gotten way out of hand on some of the other threads...I'd sure hate to see it happen here, as well.
Then let's agree not to name call and say people are expressing "cultish" ideas.

Put up scripture if you have a leg to stand on....use your sword instead of your pep-squad. That proves nothing.
I think the majority of scripture offered to establish the points made have been by the Ten Commandments crowd.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back