Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Should Christians pull guns on intruders?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
GojuBrian said:
Sound Silence said:
Shoot to wound, not to kill.

Wrond and wrong!! :crazy

You NEVER shoot to wound, you NEVER shoot to kill. You shoot to stop the threat, period.

Shooting to wound is quoted by people who don't shoot very much if any at all. I've seen people at the range that can't even hit the target at all from ten yards. Do you think someone will be able to put a bullet 450 thousanths or smaller in diameter through a handheld pistol in a particular spot on an aggressive assailant? Do some research, it's not a sniper rifle. :screwloose

:salute
duh common sense, i remember one my of soldiers first gun fight as a deputy, 50 ft 30 rounds hits 0, tunnel vision. that's how it is. you dont have time go breathe in squeeze the trigger oh so slowly shoot, remember he's moving fast and maybe armed and shooting at you as well.

jason

OK,
I'm a gun owner and believe the 2nd amendment is crystal clear. I have no doubt that I would shoot anyone who threatened me or mine with bodily harm. I do wonder how to reconcile that with Christ. Yes the deciples were armed at times, but would Christ defend himself? I can't think of a time that he did. I can certainly think of time he didn't.

I believe there is a principal in Scripture to love our neighbors and our family, and out of love we should protect them. Jesus laid His life down for us, His family. A sacrifice was needed in His situation, and He laid His life down for us...we should do the same for our family, friends, and neighbors against evil. It pleased God to bruise Christ for our sakes. God is not a pacifist, though He does expect us to love our enemies. It is unloving to allow people to go on criminal rampages and not have mechanisms in place to prevent it. It is unloving to our neighbors and family to watch as they are attacked. It is unloving to our children to allow someone to cause them harm and not be willing to sacrifice our lives protecting theirs...especially if they do not know the Lord. The intruder has already made a choice to die for his lust.

A few weeks after Shaun died, New Years Eve night, a man pulled into our driveway with his radio blasting in a big four wheel drive truck. He pulled up very close to our back porch, and stopped right at our door with his radio blaring. The children were upstairs in bed, and I had the phone in my hand already as I walked to the back door. I also grabbed a baseball bat that we kept there as I walked out praying that God help me. Like Brian said, all I could think about was stopping this man any way I could in order to protect my children. I am not by nature brave, but I knew that I was prepared to die to protect my children. As I stepped out I flipped the light switch, and I yelled to the man to see what he wanted....my dog was barking like crazy. He sized me up, the bat, the phone, the dog, and drove over my porch trying to leave. He broke the concrete. After I settled down, I thought that maybe he had the wrong house or something, and was surprised to see me. He was probably startled to see a lifted bat in one hand and a cordless phone in the other. :biggrin I was probably not in any danger, but at the time when I went out I didn't know that. A friend told me I should have locked the door and called 911, but at the time the only concern I had was the children (I live 40 minutes from the nearest sherriff.), and I thought he would have to kill me before he gets into the house and possibly hurts one of them...I would spend my life, or his, if need be. It's likely I made all the wrong decisions, but there wasn't a lot of time to think, and a protective love of my children kicked in.

A friend told me I should have locked the door and called 911, but at the time the only concern I had was the children (I live 40 minutes from the nearest sherriff.), and I thought he would have to kill me before he gets into the house and possibly hurts one of them...I would spend my life, or his, if need be. It's likely I made all the wrong decisions, but there wasn't a lot of time to think, and a protective love of my children kicked in.
Oh Tina, it takes a loving parent to make such a choice and I'll be honest, locking the door may have not been my first choice either. The thought of me locked (trapped) in the house doesn't sit well. You were on the preemptive and the only thing that may have scared him off quicker is if that bat was a shotgun instead! :lol LOL ;)

I believe there is a principal in Scripture to love our neighbors and our family, and out of love we should protect them. Jesus laid His life down for us, His family. A sacrifice was needed in His situation, and He laid His life down for us...we should do the same for our family, friends, and neighbors against evil. It pleased God to bruise Christ for our sakes. God is not a pacifist, though He does expect us to love our enemies. It is unloving to allow people to go on criminal rampages and not have mechanisms in place to prevent it. It is unloving to our neighbors and family to watch as they are attacked. It is unloving to our children to allow someone to cause them harm and not be willing to sacrifice our lives protecting theirs...especially if they do not know the Lord. The intruder has already made a choice to die for his lust.
I just had to repeat that because it brings us right smack down on one of my favorite passages:

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

God bless you sister! :amen

Great story Tina, thanks for sharing!

There'e no telling what the guys intention was and you did the right thing. I would suggest getting his description and plate number to report it as detailed as you can.

God bless you sister!

I would most certainly pull a weapon on someone if they tried to come into my house, property, etc..

I wouldn't want to kill someone, but if you have to pull the trigger.. then you do what you have to do..

there's a difference in killing someone just to kill them, and killing someone to protect yourself

Mat 5:38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have [thy] cloke also.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

Men are the protectors and providers put in place by God. As men we should have the tools and the knowledge to protect ourselves and our families.

If we do not protect ourselves, who will provide for our families?

GodspromisesRyes said:
how bout now everyone prove their postion by the New Testament so that we can see if we stand in the word of God or in what is common?-

1Ti 5:8 But if any provideth not for his own, and specially his own household, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever.

Rom 12:17 Render to no man evil for evil. Take thought for things honorable in the sight of all men.

It's honorable to protect your own family. Jesus (the husband) delivered Israel (his wife) from her enemies (when Israel was humble).

But, God still has angels protecting those who are his. And those who are led by the Spirit can be led to either protect, or do nothing because God would know the outcome already. :)

I have brought this topic up 3 times on this board, and I have heard it all. But I will tell you, to protect my family, I will kill you, as I said in post's of the past, God does not expect for you to sit up there while a intruder, is raping your wife or daughter or son, and all you do, is say, I will pray for your soul. God expects you, if it is in your power to take this guy's head off, if you have to. During New and Old Testament times, such a guy would have been put to death. Christians make me sick telling you not to strike back, if a intruder inters your home, because you are a Christian, get out of my face with that. You don't let people just come in and hurt your family, (If You Can Help It) Now even Jesus knew that you must protect yourself, or why else, would Jesus make this statement.

Luke 22:36 (King James Version)

36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

What were they used for ? To protect and for battle, and the occasional apple peeling. :biggrin God does not expect you to stand there and let somebody stomp you, until you blend in with the ground. Now if someone hits you, depending on where you are at in your walk with the Lord, you might be able to turn the other cheek. But God knows that not everybody is going to turn the other cheek, nor did He design them to. Turn the other cheek is not for everybody. I mean the intruder is raping your wife and you ask the guy does he want a sandwich, when he is done, and I will pray for you ? Take his head off. Now if you can talk the guy, out of this, do so, but if you can't, and you get a chance, take his head off, with anything that you can find. And I do agree with some scholars who think that the turn the other cheek statement, by Jesus, was made as a humorous remark. Because the Lord Himself knows that not everybody is going to turn the other cheek. And yes Jesus did have a sense of humor. Did you all not know, that God created earthly warriors, I mean literally, and He continues to create them, even today. Some people just don't have the spirit to strike back, and then some do. And God knows this, that is why I agree with the scholars who think that that remark by Jesus was made while he was in a humor mode, Jesus was not a ridged master, He was a fun person to be with. He also displayed a violent side in the temple. And lets be honest here, we serve a tender loving God, but He is also a violent God. And we are to act very loving towards others, but if you have to protect your family, or something and you have no other way out, get violent if you have to.

Luk 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Luk 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

2Cr 10:2 But I beseech [you], that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
2Cr 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Cr 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Cr 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
2Cr 10:6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
2Cr 10:7 ¶ Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he [is] Christ's, even so [are] we Christ's.

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].
Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Honestly, Lovely and Researcher did the best job of putting this in it's proper Biblical and Christian perspective. I've know Lovely (Tina) for a few years now and violence is not part of her personality. But she has shown us that love and protection of family in the absence of her (late) husband was indeed Godly.

All these verses being offered have more to do with our every day, one on one relationships with our fellow man than they do when faced with physical and aggressive actions against our loved ones and ourselves.

We can quote all the passive verses until He returns, but I have yet been given a satisfactory answer to the the typical question:

What would you do if the very life of your loved ones (an/or yourself) were in jeopardy? Could you honestly stand there and say, sorry loved ones, but I know of verses that suggest I should not defend you.

Good "luck" with that one!

I'll repeat it again:

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Vic C. said:
What would you do if the very life of your loved ones (an/or yourself) were in jeopardy? Could you honestly stand there and say, sorry loved ones, but I know of verses that suggest I should not defend you.

I don't know of any verses that suggest one should not defend their families. Even mothers are designed with a protective instinct -- just look at mama cats defending their kittens! So if we have this protective instinct, we have to believe that it comes from God.

1Pe 2:19 For this [is] thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.

1Pe 2:20 For what glory [is it], if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer [for it], ye take it patiently, this [is] acceptable with God.

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

1Pe 2:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed [himself] to him that judgeth righteously:

1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

1Pe 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

1Pe 3:8 ¶ Finally, [be ye] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [be] pitiful, [be] courteous:
1Pe 3:9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
1Pe 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
1Pe 3:11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
1Pe 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord [are] over the righteous, and his ears [are open] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [is] against them that do evil.
1Pe 3:13 ¶ And who [is] he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?
1Pe 3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy [are ye]: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
1Pe 3:16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
1Pe 3:17 For [it is] better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

1Pe 4:12 ¶ Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

1Pe 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy [are ye]; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

1Pe 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or [as] a thief, or [as] an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

1Pe 4:16 Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

1Pe 4:17 For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?

1Pe 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

1Pe 4:19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls [to him] in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

so being a policeman or soldier is bad then, the law allows us in the states, i hate to shoot anyone but my family will survive if need be. the average response time is at least a few minutes, if he or she coming through the window and you are there calling on the phone ( you are the only one up) it may be too late, you can draw or use show of force, and the politely state " i suggest you go back out the way you came in" then if they continue to apraoach obviously they intend to kill you or are insane, i would hope the next thing you hear his or her dead body hitting the ground or the intruder writhing in pain.

it's that simple..

jason

Mat 16:24 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mat 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Rom 12:12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
Rom 12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
Rom 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
Rom 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Rom 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Rom 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Jhn 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Ecc 9:18 Wisdom [is] better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good.

2Cr 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Rev 13:10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

so i guess then the soldier, cop and fireman are evil, if that's true why serve the lord. where i used to live i would take the cops ten to twenty minutes to respond even if shots fired! so you tell me when you live and watch your spouse being raped and you have the power warewithal to stop that, is that just! the god we serve isnt a pacifist but we must use commen sense people. if that's not the case can i go to any of your house and try to kill you an see how much your" faith is". will i wind up dead or you!

lets be real. how many would actually do this turn the cheek in that situation, missionary work is different,i'm talking about your home not a foreign country or the local mission field in a bad nieghborhood. btw did jesus tell the centurion to stop being one, the centurions then were the local law enforcement. hmm no.

i believe in the protective power of christ seen it, read my testimony from afghanistan, but a home invader is different..

jason

anyone who is anti pulling gun on intruders yet pro-cop look why the 2nd amnedment was in place and then look up the posse-commidutus act of 1836. in early american history there was no law enforcement only the militias or the constables, law enforcement came later in ny first. so how was the law enforced back then in the wild west or florida.. with a gun..

the first gun control attempt was by wyat earp at tombstone, but he was deputized then, after the civil war

jason

when I smoked, cigarettes were .55 a pack. now that they cost $55.00 per carton, it makes sense that there's a three day waiting period to buy a gun!

no but all joking aside, I believe in protecting life and limb. :wave

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back