Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Should women teach?

willow the wip said:
I tend to agree that women shouldn't be senior pastors over churches. My posts refer to ministering or preaching.

Ahh now that is diffrent every one is called to preach and minister to unbelievers men and women.

people need to seperate the diffrences between the Body of Christ and the unbelivers.

God has order in his church.

you see unbelievers are not apart of the body of Christ.

Never said anything about unbelievers in that statement.

8-) YES,women can teach,and they can prophesy.
-/\/\-----------------------------------------------------------------
\ / TODAY'S VERSE from HEARTLIGHT -- http://www.heartlight.org/
--\/------------------------------------------------------------------

November 11, 2004

VERSE:
In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is
man independent of woman.
-- 1 Corinthians 11:11
http://www.SearchGodsWord.org/desk/?que ... ians+11:11

THOUGHT:
"We are all one in Christ Jesus!" Paul told the Galatians (Gal.
3:26-29). Satan, however, constantly tries to divide God's people.
One of his most effective means of division has been to divide men
and women -- whether in families or churches. Paul reminds us that
if Jesus is our Lord, we recognize we need each other and we are
committed to placing value on each other. Rather than letting Satan
divide us through our differences, we choose to unite around our
Savior!

PRAYER:
Holy God, in whose image I am made, please give me the courage
to value and esteem all others as you value me. In Jesus' name I
pray. Amen.

There are a number of instruction than state that women should not teach men contained in the scriptures. I find not that state that it is OK for them to do it.

Here is what John MacArthur says:
  • Can women serve as elders in the church?
    We don't believe there's a place for women elders in the church. When the apostle Paul said that a woman should not "teach or exercise authority over a man" (1 Timothy 2:12), he did not follow that statement with a cultural argument. Rather he went all the way back to creation to show that women weren't intended to dominate men (vv. 13-14). The reasons he gave are that the woman was created after the man, and that she was deceived when acting independently of his leadership.
    Paul goes on to say in 1 Timothy 2:15 that "women shall be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint." That verse is not talking about women's eternal destiny, but means that they are saved from being second-class citizens through the privilege of rearing children. God designed a woman to fulfill a role in the home that no man ever can (Proverbs 31:10-31; Titus 2:4-5).

Our society's current thinking on the woman's role is contrary to the priorities revealed in the Bible. Genesis 3 explains why that conflict exists. After the Fall, God told the woman, "Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you" (Genesis 3:16). Genesis 4:7 helps us to understand what that verse means. There God told Cain, "Sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it." Exactly the same phrase is used in both passages. So in the same way sin tries to dominate us all, fallen women desire to overpower their husbands, and fallen men tend to oppress them in the same way sin oppresses the sinner. The intended balance, of course, is achieved when men and women lead and submit in a godly manner (Ephesians 5:22-33).[/*:m:bc40c]

I think that the Woman is to do what God has called her to do. I don't know how often God is going to call a woman to be the head of the Body, but he has in the past. Look at Deborah. I want to see God's Will, not human will.

evanman said:
There are a number of instruction than state that women should not teach men contained in the scriptures. I find not that state that it is OK for them to do it.

:D Who was Lydia? You cannot say that women cannot teach.
There are no scriptures to support that. The only scriptures that
you had just teach us that women are not to Lord over authority
towards their husbands,or to steal center stage from them.
There are no scriptures that say women cannot teach,and there
are women in the bible who did teach. Do you dare say that God
would allow them to teach and then say these women were out of
line when the word doesn't say that?

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
I think that the Woman is to do what God has called her to do. I don't know how often God is going to call a woman to be the head of the Body, but he has in the past. Look at Deborah. I want to see God's Will, not human will.

:D AMEN!

blueeyeliner said:
evanman said:

Was Lydia a teacher of the church? You'll have to show me were such a thing is recorded. All I know is that there was a church in her house! (A group of belivers lived in her house).

evanman said:
blueeyeliner said:
evanman said:

Was Lydia a teacher of the church? You'll have to show me were such a thing is recorded. All I know is that there was a church in her house! (A group of belivers lived in her house).

:D Shouldn't that be enough to convince you that women can
teach? What about Priscilla and Aquilla? Women can teach,but they
must respect the authority of their husbands and allow them to lead.
Many men don't want to lead today,and it is sad yet true,but women
are allowed to teach. They should not talk over the teachers in church,
ect....But if men were more prone to talking than women,I'm sure that
the message to be silent in church would have been for them instead.
Today however,some men do talk more than the women.
Women may teach,but we all must show respect towards one another,
and respect for the way God placed things in order.
If a man is not the husband of the woman teaching,or if he is not in a
leadership position in the church,I believe in all honesty that a woman
can teach him if he wants to know about God and the Bible,Salvation,
ect.....

Its ideas like these that turn me away from Christianity. Simply because someone has particular genitals means that they should not be allowed authority over the opposite sex nor be allowed to teach is absurd. Men have dominated the world leadership for pretty much forver, and look at the state the world is in. What does that say about the "purity" of men being the only ones allowed authority.

And when women arent allowed authority over men, what about Joan of Arc? She led her people to victory, but of course the church had her burned at the stake for being a witch.

As my personal opinion I believe there is nothing wrong with a woman being allowed to teach or having authority over me as a male, my only concern - as it would be for men as well - is that she uses it wisely and justly. This is the 21st century, not the dark ages. While we are at it, why dont we just legalise slavery as well, after all, God allows it. I simply view this as another one of the bibles out of date theories. I dare say that the people who wrote the Bible were all men, and I can only see this as a sexist way of ensuring only men stay in control of society.

8-) There are many women in the bible,and it is not sexist at all.
There are rules and there is order in nature and in life whether or not
we can accept them.
It is to a womans honor to respect her husband. Women are allowed to
teach. If you want to accuse the bible of being sexist,then you have
it in your mind to look for a fight,right? Why else would you do that here?
The carnal mind cannot understand the word of God.
There is a natural order in nature,and it is this way to bless not curse.
Being humble and realizing you are not it,and that life isn't all about you,
is a great step in getting wisdom.
If I submit to my godly husband,I am pleasing to God,and thats what I
want. If I love my husband like I said I did when I married him,I'd respect
the way God made him and admire him. Husbands also ought to love their
wives as their own bodies,amen. There is nothing wrong with mutual respect God's way.
If you have come here to put down the bible,then please,please,please,
by all means steer clear away from me.
God is everything,and he is worth everything and everyone to me,amen.
Let me know when you finally have come to your senses and realize that
you are not all that,o.k?

Blueeyeliner said:
Shouldn't that be enough to convince you that women can

You do know that Priscilla and Aquila were husband and wife?? Not two women :wink:

Still waiting for scriptural evidence where Lydia was a teacher of the church!

Deborah did NOT lead the Body of Christ. She was a judge of Israel, not a "Pastor" of a church.

Priscilla helped her husband to lead Apollo to Christ--very different from teaching the church.

If you want to accuse the bible of being sexist,then you have
it in your mind to look for a fight,right?

Incorrect, I do not come looking for a fight. I post my personal opinion about what I believe to be out dated, absurd practices. If someone wants to take it up to debate with me, and If I see there being some point to it, Ill go along with it.

Being humble and realizing you are not it,and that life isn't all about you,
is a great step in getting wisdom.

Ive never said that life was about me, nor any other one individual. In this particular topic, I find what the bible says to be an outrage against equal rights, which I hold dear in a society.

If I submit to my godly husband,I am pleasing to God,and thats what I
want.

What about to yourself? Im not one to expect the world to revolve around me, but being humble can only go so far. But, if thats the way you want to live your life, then so be it.

If I love my husband like I said I did when I married him,I'd respect
the way God made him and admire him. Husbands also ought to love their
wives as their own bodies,amen.

Loving and respecting your partner is one thing, but to be completely submissive to him and to never have authority over him simply because of what a book says is another. People are appauled by the way Islamics oppress their women, but what about this passage? What does that say about how Christian women should live? While not as bad with the stonings for showing a bit of skin or looking at another man funny, it is still a form of oppression.

If you have come here to put down the bible,then please,please,please,
by all means steer clear away from me.

Ive put down the Bible many times before. I do not do it out of spite, nor do I do it simply to lure christians into fights, I do it because I am stating my opinion.

God is everything,and he is worth everything and everyone to me,amen.

Like I said before, if thats how you want to live your life, then thats your choice.

Let me know when you finally have come to your senses and realize that
you are not all that,o.k?

I could tell you that a long time ago. I know for a fact that Im "not all that". Text is horrid for understanding a persons tone of voice, for I am not trying to be smug, not trying to over power you with my ego, I am merely stating my opinion that I dont believe women should be back ground scenery raising the children while the men sort everything out.

Loving and respecting your partner is one thing, but to be completely submissive to him and to never have authority over him simply because of what a book says is another. People are appauled by the way Islamics oppress their women, but what about this passage? What does that say about how Christian women should live? While not as bad with the stonings for showing a bit of skin or looking at another man funny, it is still a form of oppression.

I disagree. If a husband loves a wife the way the Bible commands then he would never force her into any type of oppresion but would listen to her as if he were listening to himself. So although a wife is commanded to submit to her husband, through his loving her she should always be heard.

Interestingly enough, the Bible commands a wife to submit her husband and the husband to LOVE his wife. It seems to me it would be actually easier to submit than always love. I am not married yet, so I don't know but that was something I noticed when reading and thought was interesting. ---Just a thought---

Back on topic-- I don't know if women should be in all roles of teaching (still debating that one myself!) but I think there is definately a place for women teaching. In fact, I have a Bible Study to lead tonight so I had better jet!

Judy said:
Blueeyeliner said:
Shouldn't that be enough to convince you that women can

You do know that Priscilla and Aquila were husband and wife?? Not two women :wink:

8-) Yes, I do,but the point is that she could teach with her husband
and teaching wasn't denied from her. Thanks for asking me Judy.

Should a woman teach

Ok I feel that Jesus would have no problem with a woman teaching . He was very kind to all women and respected them. As you read the gospels tell me where it says Jesus said that he didn't allow a woman to teach.
This is an example of why I do not think its wrong for a woman to teach. If a woman is a Minister and by teaching the word of God she brings a person to GOD and there by saves his soul, do you realy think that God would be angry with her?
You have to remember we are talking about a time long ago , and then women were treated different from men to say the least. We can no longer abide by all that is in the Bible because if we did then we would still be stoning women and men to death for adultery , also it was pemitted back then to have your children stoned if they did not obey and respect you . Would any one of you want to see that happen today? I don;t think any of us would and to do so would make you a murderer.
You have to live in today's world not back thousands of years ago.

May God bless you all.

Sorry, Greyfeather, but the reasons given for whether women should or shouldn't teach men are based purely on scriptural principles not on cultural or social norms.

In my honest opinion, Women can teach if they are really led by the Holy Spirit of God. God has used Women equally like Men right from the Old Testament days.

As for usurping authority is concerned, even men have no right to usurp authority over women for they are joint-heirs and equals in the sight of God.

I deeply appreciate greyfeathers reply.

Back