Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Bible Study Sin a Choice

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
We are all born with a nature to sin because of the fall of Adam and Eve who introduced sin into the world allowing to fall to Satan's temptation. All have sinned and fallen short of God's glory, that's a fact. But, to those who are of Christ need to get up every morning and crucify this flesh and walk in the Spirit so we do not fulfill the lust of the flesh. No one has to sin like it's some kind of command to do so as it's a freewill choice to fall to the temptations Satan loves to place before us.

Even a Spiritually born again child of God will mess up at times as we are still mortal living in a corruptible fleshly body where the sin nature dwells. Grace does not give us a license to sin, but when we do we have an intercessor (Christ Jesus) before the Father who makes intercession for us and forgives our sin when we repent of them. There will always be a struggle between the flesh and the Spirit and sometimes the flesh will win the battle, but never the war. A Spiritually born again indwelled with the Holy Spirit child of God should never willfully sin like we plan to do so, but yet we see ourselves messing up at times and having to admit to our downfall we need help from God to work on. Does that mean we are no longer God's own, no, it just means we are yet housed in this fleshly body, but yet without excuse.

Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

1Cor 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Cor 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Adam and Eve sinned because they had a nature to sin ?
We do have two natures. One is flesh nature of where we sin within the flesh as flesh is a filthy rag to God, Isaiah 64:6; Galatians 5:17, and then there is a Spiritual nature in us by being Spiritually born-again being indwelled with the Holy Spirit, John 3:3, that can not sin. The flesh does not inherit the kingdom of God as it is our Spiritual inner man by the rebirth that inherits the kingdom of God. This is why we must die daily to the flesh so when Christ returns and separates the wheat from the tares, or the sheep from the goats we who are wheat, and or sheep that hear His voice will be with God in his kingdom for ever and those who are among the tares, and or goats will be cast into the lake of fire to be with Satan, the beast and the false prophets forever.

1 Corinthians 15
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

We do have two natures. One is flesh nature of where we sin within the flesh as flesh is a filthy rag to God, Isaiah 64:6; Galatians 5:17, and then there is a Spiritual nature in us by being Spiritually born-again being indwelled with the Holy Spirit, John 3:3, that can not sin.
My thoughts are we have one nature , human nature just like Adam , Eve and Jesus . Of course we are a spirit in a fleshly body , and those two are at conflict , the flesh and the spirit . I don't think we are that far apart in our thinking :) .

My thoughts are we have one nature , human nature just like Adam , Eve and Jesus . Of course we are a spirit in a fleshly body , and those two are at conflict , the flesh and the spirit . I don't think we are that far apart in our thinking :) .

Eve sinned because she was enticed by Satan.

She became defiled and therefore “weakened” to disobey God because she did not do what Jesus did when He was tempted, she engaged in a conversation with him and thus allowing what was in Satan’s heart to “commune” (communication) with her heart.

And He said, “What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”
Mark 7:20-23

Paul says it this way - a little leaven, leaven’s the whole lump.

I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

• defilement comes from within

Notice that Eve did not “see” that the tree was good for fulfilling her “desires” until after her dialog with Satan.

but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ ” (OSAS)

Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. Genesis 3:3-6

JLB

We are all born with a nature to sin because of the fall of Adam and Eve who introduced sin into the world allowing to fall to Satan's temptation. All have sinned and fallen short of God's glory, that's a fact. But, to those who are of Christ need to get up every morning and crucify this flesh and walk in the Spirit so we do not fulfill the lust of the flesh. No one has to sin like it's some kind of command to do so as it's a freewill choice to fall to the temptations Satan loves to place before us.

Even a Spiritually born again child of God will mess up at times as we are still mortal living in a corruptible fleshly body where the sin nature dwells. Grace does not give us a license to sin, but when we do we have an intercessor (Christ Jesus) before the Father who makes intercession for us and forgives our sin when we repent of them. There will always be a struggle between the flesh and the Spirit and sometimes the flesh will win the battle, but never the war. A Spiritually born again indwelled with the Holy Spirit child of God should never willfully sin like we plan to do so, but yet we see ourselves messing up at times and having to admit to our downfall we need help from God to work on. Does that mean we are no longer God's own, no, it just means we are yet housed in this fleshly body, but yet without excuse.

Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

1Cor 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Cor 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
How can your mortal vessel make you do anything that counters your Spiritually oriented mind ?

Which one is in control ?
Can your body make you do anything your mind says "NO" to ?

Eve sinned because she was enticed by Satan.
And Eve would agree with you , she might even say ," The shining serpent🌟 made me do it !"

Eve has to shoulder the final responsibility for her actions , right ?
She became defiled and therefore “weakened” to disobey God because she did not do what Jesus did when He was tempted, she engaged in a conversation with him and thus allowing what was in Satan’s heart to “commune” (communication) with her heart.
Eve did not have the example of Jesus to follow but she did have a command from God to follow .
Notice that Eve did not “see” that the tree was good for fulfilling her “desires” until after her dialog with Satan.
Human nature allows us to reason and make choices and sometimes influence from bad places can help us to make bad choices .

And Eve would agree with you , she might even say ," The shining serpent🌟 made me do it !"

Eve has to shoulder the final responsibility for her actions , right ?

She doesn’t say he made me do it.

And the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”
The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

I believe she had a choice.

However I also believe she was weakened and corrupted by what came out of the Devil into her.

“How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer, son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations!
Isaiah 14:12

Eve did not have the example of Jesus to follow but she did have a command from God to follow .

And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ ” Genesis 3:2

She did what the LORD did and spoke God’s word to the Devil.

However It seems she added something that the Lord didn’t say.

Yes.

• so that you do not do the things that you wish.

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:17

Just like Adam and Eve we were all made in the image of God, but yet all have sinned and fallen short. That's a fact we all know. We are not that far apart as I am speaking about the flesh. When in the flesh we take part of worldly things that cause us to sin as in thoughts, actions and what we speak. There is no one that is perfect while being in the flesh, thus the need for the Spiritual rebirth, John 3:5-7, by faith in Christ through God's grace, Ephesians 2:8-10.

As long as we walk in the Spirit then we will not fall to the sins of the flesh, but yet, and this is no excuse, we are still mortals living in a corruptible body that will fall short at times.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

We as a Spiritually born again child of God do not go about deliberately sinning making a mockery of the sacrifice Jesus made for all of us, but we will mess up at times while striving for that perfection that is in Christ. God does not see our flesh, but knows us by what spirit is living in our heart.

LOL
I hope your body never makes you jump off a bridge.
Will you please give me some example of your, or a body, making someone sin ?
so that you do not do the things that you wish. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:17
Can't you see that those who walk in the Spirit cannot do the things of the flesh ?
If one cannot do the things of the Spirit, they are walking in the flesh.

Just like Adam and Eve we were all made in the image of God, but yet all have sinned and fallen short. That's a fact we all know. We are not that far apart as I am speaking about the flesh. When in the flesh we take part of worldly things that cause us to sin as in thoughts, actions and what we speak. There is no one that is perfect while being in the flesh, thus the need for the Spiritual rebirth, John 3:5-7, by faith in Christ through God's grace, Ephesians 2:8-10.

As long as we walk in the Spirit then we will not fall to the sins of the flesh, but yet, and this is no excuse,
You were doing great, until you added the excuse below...
we are still mortals living in a corruptible body that will fall short at times.
Is your mind in control of your body ?
Or is your body in control of your mind ?
Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

We as a Spiritually born again child of God do not go about deliberately sinning making a mockery of the sacrifice Jesus made for all of us, but we will mess up at times while striving for that perfection that is in Christ. God does not see our flesh, but knows us by what spirit is living in our heart.
Your excuses allow a child reborn of God to be devilish.
As you have stated, that the perfection you seek is in Christ.
Aren't Christians in Christ full-time ?
Why seek something you were reborn into ?

Read post #12
You seem to have likened the "flesh" with skin and bones.
Jesus, and all others, walked in skin and bones.
But Jesus' mind controlled His actions.
He walked in the Spirit while still having skin and bones.
So too do those reborn of God's seed.
"Flesh", in this context, is a worldly oriented mind.

Which one is in control ?
Jesus .
Have you ever said NO to sleep but fell asleep anyway ?

Have you ever said NO to sneezing but sneezed again anyway ?

Have you ever said NO to falling in love with someone but you fell anyway ?

Even in your mind you can say NO to laughing or crying but your mind can betray you . Emotions are tricky .

The most important thing is to say YES to is taking Jesus as your LORD and savior .

Jesus .

Have you ever said NO to sleep but fell asleep anyway ?
Would that have been a sin ?
Have you ever said NO to sneezing but sneezed again anyway ?
Would that be a sin ?
Have you ever said NO to falling in love with someone but you fell anyway ?
No.
Even in your mind you can say NO to laughing or crying but your mind can betray you . Emotions are tricky .
Would any of those things be the result of temptation to sin ?
Autonomic responses are not sinful.
The most important thing is to say YES to is taking Jesus as your LORD and savior .
Saying yes involves saying no to something else.

Those reborn of God's seed have been given a divine nature.
And the mind of Christ.
Like the OP said, sin is a choice.

LOL
I hope your body never makes you jump off a bridge.

Some people do commit suicide.

Again, here is what the scriptures, the truth says -

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:17

• so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Back