Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Bible Study Sin a Choice

You seem to have likened the "flesh" with skin and bones.
Jesus, and all others, walked in skin and bones.
But Jesus' mind controlled His actions.
He walked in the Spirit while still having skin and bones.
So too do those reborn of God's seed.
"Flesh", in this context, is a worldly oriented mind.
You and many of us have been round and round with your sinless perfection and you stating you never sin. I'm delighted you have no weak areas in your life like many of us do that are allowing Jesus to help us with and that you are so perfect in your own eyes. Now, nor either in the future will I discuss with you about your sinless perfection. I will discuss other topics with you, but we all know where you stand on the teachings of the Nazarene church doctrine.

God bless you and have a great day.

One more thing, can you define to us a list of what are the different types of sin you speak of? Thank you.

Last edited:
This is what God considers to be transgressions (sin) against Him. What man calls a sin may not be a sin against God, but only something they deem to be a sin. Not trying to justify anything, but just showing what God has already said and given us that we remain pleasing and Holy unto Him.

Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Col 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
Col 3:6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
Col 3:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
Col 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
Col 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Last edited:
Some people do commit suicide.
Is it their body that gets so depressed, or desperate, or whatever, that makes men jump ?
No, it is the mind.
Your reject the idea of sinlessness because you blame the skin and bones for sin.
But what sin can a body commit ?
The vessel is just a tool for the mind's use.
Again, here is what the scriptures, the truth says -
For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:17
Yep, good scripture proving that those walking in and after the Spirt cannot do the things they once wanted to do when they were still in the "flesh".
so that you do not do the things that you wish.
I do not do the things I wanted when I was in the "flesh".
Being in the Spirit prohibits that sinful behavior.

You and many of us have been round and round with your sinless perfection and you stating you never sin.
Thanks be to God you see more than just Jesus and His apostles carrying His perfect way forward.
I'm delighted you have no weak areas in your life like many of us do that are allowing Jesus to help us with and that you are so perfect in your own eyes.
"My" weaknesses were eliminated at my rebirth from God's seed.
And it is by Christ I am enabled to obey.
Now, nor either in the future will I discuss with you about your sinless perfection. I will discuss other topics with you, but we all know where you stand on the teachings of the Nazarene church doctrine.
I have visited their "church".
Their doctrine was very inclusive of sin.
Just like the rest of the world's "churches".
God bless you and have a great day.
If I am such an enemy of God, why are you asking God to bless me ?
John writes..."If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." (2 John 1:10-11)
One more thing, can you define to us a list of what are the different types of sin you speak of? Thank you.
Sure.
1. Not loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
2. Not loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

Thanks be to God you see more than just Jesus and His apostles carrying His perfect way forward.

"My" weaknesses were eliminated at my rebirth from God's seed.
And it is by Christ I am enabled to obey.

I have visited their "church".
Their doctrine was very inclusive of sin.
Just like the rest of the world's "churches".

If I am such an enemy of God, why are you asking God to bless me ?
John writes..."If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." (2 John 1:10-11)

Sure.
1. Not loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
2. Not loving your neighbor as you love yourself.
I never said you were an enemy of God and I would sincerely pray God is blessing you. But, why can't you give us a list of those sins you talk about?

Is it their body that gets so depressed, or desperate, or whatever, that makes men jump ?
No, it is the mind.
Your reject the idea of sinlessness because you blame the skin and bones for sin.
But what sin can a body commit ?
The vessel is just a tool for the mind's use.

I can give you what the scripture says, but I can’t force you to believe it.

You keep interjecting your own “perspective” your own opinion and adding to what the scripture so plainly says.

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:17

Paul is contrasting the flesh and the Spirit.

• For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh;… so that you do not do the things that you wish.

The human mind is not mentioned in this passage.

JLB

1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

It is not until we are raised up to meet Jesus in the air that we are then changed from this corruptible mortal body into our new glorified bodies that are no longer corruptible or mortal. If we are walking in the Spirit then we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh, but there is such a battle within us between the flesh and the Spirit and at times it is hard to do that which we should do.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

These are the sins mentioned by God. Some have problems in these areas, but yet seeking help from God to overcome them as none of us are perfect yet, but only made perfect in the Spirit as only God knows the intents of our hearts.

I can give you what the scripture says, but I can’t force you to believe it.
All that would have taken the same amount of time as just providing the scripture.
You keep interjecting your own “perspective” your own opinion and adding to what the scripture so plainly says.
If I didn't trust from whence my perspective originated, I wouldn't offer it.
Yep.
Those walking in and after the "flesh" cannot do the things of the Spirit.
Paul is contrasting the flesh and the Spirit.
He sure is.
Which would you say you are ?
For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh;… so that you do not do the things that you wish.
The human mind is not mentioned in this passage.
Can your hair commit sin ?
How about your toe nails ?
"Flesh" in Paul's context, is not the vessel man walks inside of. (It is a worldly oriented mind.)
If it were just the mortal body, then Jesus was also walking in sin.

I really hope that is not what you are opining.

1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
You are equating the aging, deteriorating, vessel, with sin.
I do not.
If having a mortal body is sinful, then all the babies who have passed away are doomed.
They never got the chance to repent of, and be washed of, their past sins.
Sins are acts committed at the behest of worldly oriented minds.
It is not until we are raised up to meet Jesus in the air that we are then changed from this corruptible mortal body into our new glorified bodies that are no longer corruptible or mortal. If we are walking in the Spirit then we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh, but there is such a battle within us between the flesh and the Spirit and at times it is hard to do that which we should do.
The vessel will indeed change.
But the man inside of it won't.
You're judging the "book" by its "cover" !
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

These are the sins mentioned by God. Some have problems in these areas, but yet seeking help from God to overcome them as none of us are perfect yet, but only made perfect in the Spirit as only God knows the intents of our hearts.
Which of those sins can your vessel commit, without your mind's commission ?
Does your mortal body control your life, or does the Spirit of God control your life ?

You are equating the aging, deteriorating, vessel, with sin.
I do not.
If having a mortal body is sinful, then all the babies who have passed away are doomed.
They never got the chance to repent of, and be washed of, their past sins.
Sins are acts committed at the behest of worldly oriented minds.

The vessel will indeed change.
But the man inside of it won't.
You're judging the "book" by its "cover" !

Which of those sins can your vessel commit, without your mind's commission ?
Does your mortal body control your life, or does the Spirit of God control your life ?
How many times do we have to tell you and show you the scriptures that it is not our skin and bones that sin that you are so fixated on. I figured by giving you 1Corinthians 15 and Galatians 5 you would understand what we have said and shown you, but you seem to refuse those scriptures as you fixate on your own doctrine.

You have every right to believe how you will as that is your choice, but I will have to say that what you believe in sinless perfection can become a stumbling block to those who are yet very young in the word of God as they can feel they can not measure up to such perfection and some could end up turning away from God feeling like a failure because they are not perfect.

All that would have taken the same amount of time as just providing the scripture.

If I didn't trust from whence my perspective originated, I wouldn't offer it.

Yep.
Those walking in and after the "flesh" cannot do the things of the Spirit.

He sure is.
Which would you say you are ?

Can your hair commit sin ?
How about your toe nails ?
"Flesh" in Paul's context, is not the vessel man walks inside of. (It is a worldly oriented mind.)
If it were just the mortal body, then Jesus was also walking in sin.

I really hope that is not what you are opining.

More opinion.

You refuse to address the scriptures I have presented.

And you just keep talking in circles adding more opinions.

JLB

Where in that did it claim the body is sinful ?
Mortality does not translate to sinful.
Jesus had a mortal body.
Are you going to say His body was sinful just because it was mortal ?
It is not until we are raised up to meet Jesus in the air that we are then changed from this corruptible mortal body into our new glorified bodies that are no longer corruptible or mortal.
Are you stating that it is a sin to age; to grow old and wear out ?
If we are walking in the Spirit then we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh, but there is such a battle within us between the flesh and the Spirit and at times it is hard to do that which we should do.
It isn't hard when you remember what Jesus endured to enable us to walk in the Spirit instead of in the "flesh".

Some may have problems with some of them, but the risk associated with committing them keeps some others walking as Jesus walked.
God has helped some overcome them.
Others desire the sin more than they desire eternal life.
How many times do we have to tell you and show you the scriptures that it is not our skin and bones that sin that you are so fixated on. I figured by giving you 1Corinthians 15 and Galatians 5 you would understand what we have said and shown you, but you seem to refuse those scriptures as you fixate on your own doctrine.
Define "flesh" in Gal 5:16.
Define "flesh" in 1 Cor 15:50.
You have every right to believe how you will as that is your choice, but I will have to say that what you believe in sinless perfection can become a stumbling block to those who are yet very young in the word of God as they can feel they can not measure up to such perfection and some could end up turning away from God feeling like a failure because they are not perfect.
If people don't know what to fight for, they quit fighting.
If everyone is trying to get better and better, without the knowledge that complete victory is possible, the struggle becomes futile.

Are the Ukrainians fighting for a status quo, or are they fighting for their entire nation back ?
Worldly Christianity is happy if they just don't get worse, with no thought given to total victory.
The Church By Christ Jesus (Eph 3:21), gets men perfectly sin free on their first day, and teaches them to remain that way in God's eyes.

Victory or death !

More opinion.
Thanks.
You refuse to address the scriptures I have presented.
You are errantly equating skin and bones with sin.
Paul's "flesh" in Gal 5 was "the worldly oriented mind".
And you just keep talking in circles adding more opinions.
Just quit equating every use of the word "flesh" with "skin and bones" !
There is nothing inherently evil in our "skin and bones".

Where in that did it claim the body is sinful ?
Mortality does not translate to sinful.
Jesus had a mortal body.
Are you going to say His body was sinful just because it was mortal ?

Are you stating that it is a sin to age; to grow old and wear out ?

It isn't hard when you remember what Jesus endured to enable us to walk in the Spirit instead of in the "flesh".

Some may have problems with some of them, but the risk associated with committing them keeps some others walking as Jesus walked.
God has helped some overcome them.
Others desire the sin more than they desire eternal life.

Define "flesh" in Gal 5:16.
Define "flesh" in 1 Cor 15:50.

If people don't know what to fight for, they quit fighting.
If everyone is trying to get better and better, without the knowledge that complete victory is possible, the struggle becomes futile.

Are the Ukrainians fighting for a status quo, or are they fighting for their entire nation back ?
Worldly Christianity is happy if they just don't get worse, with no thought given to total victory.
The Church By Christ Jesus (Eph 3:21), gets men perfectly sin free on their first day, and teaches them to remain that way in God's eyes.

Victory or death !
If you are going to twist everything I or the scriptures say and put words in my mouth then I am done with our conversation.

All have sinned and fallen short of God's glory, that's a fact. But, to those who are of Christ need to get up every morning and crucify this flesh and walk in the Spirit so we do not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Romans 6:1-8
1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?
3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
7 For one who has died has been set free from sin.
8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.

Colossians 3:1-3
1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Colossians 2:11-13
11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.
13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

No believer has to crucify himself. This is both physically and spiritually impossible to do. And so, God has done the crucifying for us. See above. How does a man live in what God has already done for him in and through Jesus Christ? See Romans 6:11, 2 Corinthians 5:7.

Even a Spiritually born again child of God will mess up at times as we are still mortal living in a corruptible fleshly body where the sin nature dwells.

Romans 6:1-2

Romans 6:6-7
6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

Galatians 5:24
24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Colossians 3:3

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

we need help from God to work on

To the born-again believer, God is far more than a mere Helper:

Colossians 3:4
4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

John 15:4-5
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

John 1:4
4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

Romans 8:11
11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

Romans 6:1-8
3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.

Colossians 3:1-3
1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Colossians 2:11-13
11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.
13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

No believer has to crucify himself. This is both physically and spiritually impossible to do. And so, God has done the crucifying for us. See above. How does a man live in what God has already done for him in and through Jesus Christ? See Romans 6:11, 2 Corinthians 5:7.

Romans 6:1-2

Romans 6:6-7

Galatians 5:24
24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Colossians 3:3

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

To the born-again believer, God is far more than a mere Helper:

Colossians 3:4
4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

John 15:4-5
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

John 1:4
4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

Romans 8:11
11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.
Be honest with yourself. Are you without any sin in your life here on earth as being a perfect man? Do you get angry or upset with others, talk about others. Do you take things home from work like a pencil or paperclip? Do you ever have a bad thought about someone else? Please be honest with yourself.

Be honest with yourself. Are you without any sin in your life here on earth as being a perfect man?

No, of course not. But what does your question have to do with what I quoted to you from God's word?

That I am not perfect and never will be does not negate the truth and commands of the verses I cited. While perfection is beyond the Christian person in their practical living, they cut themselves way too much "slack" regarding their sin and the call to holiness than they should - as the verses I quoted to you indicate.

Back