Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Sin a Choice

Romans 6:1-8
1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?
3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
7 For one who has died has been set free from sin.
8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.

Colossians 3:1-3
1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Colossians 2:11-13
11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.
13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

No believer has to crucify himself. This is both physically and spiritually impossible to do. And so, God has done the crucifying for us. See above. How does a man live in what God has already done for him in and through Jesus Christ? See Romans 6:11, 2 Corinthians 5:7.

Romans 6:1-2
1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?

Romans 6:6-7
6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
7 For one who has died has been set free from sin.

Galatians 5:24
24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Colossians 3:3
3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

To the born-again believer, God is far more than a mere Helper:

Colossians 3:4
4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

John 15:4-5
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

John 1:4
4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

Romans 8:11
11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.
Wonderful post, describing a life without sin.

No, of course not. But what does your question have to do with what I quoted to you from God's word?

That I am not perfect and never will be does not negate the truth and commands of the verses I cited. While perfection is beyond the Christian person in their practical living, they cut themselves way too much "slack" regarding their sin and the call to holiness than they should - as the verses I quoted to you indicate.
Wow, what a let down, after reading your previous post. :sad

No, of course not. But what does your question have to do with what I quoted to you from God's word?

That I am not perfect and never will be does not negate the truth and commands of the verses I cited. While perfection is beyond the Christian person in their practical living, they cut themselves way too much "slack" regarding their sin and the call to holiness than they should - as the verses I quoted to you indicate.
Some do slack to much, some do not see what they do to be sin, just as others are to quick to judge others in things that they deem to be sin as they become holier than thou. As a child of God if we sin unknowingly then it is the Holy Spirit, not man, that will convict us. What one deems to be a sin may not be a sin before God.

Back