Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study SO YOU THINK YOU ARE SAVED.

Well, actually, JLB, your reply goes right to the O.P.'s study.
Why did I stay home and bake cookies instead?
You're bringing up Mathew 6.1
If we do good deeds so man could see them, we have already received our reward - which is the compliments of man and their admiration. We would not be seeking God's admiration in doing His will and receiving His reward. I'm not sure what the reward is. It could be here on earth - just because when we do what God wills things turn out better in general. Or it could mean our reward in heaven - which I also don't really know what those rewards could be; maybe no one does.

Instead handing out tracts is more difficult to do. But it was the will of God. Which I did not do. Because it was too difficult. So, yes, it goes right to the O.P. And I had asked this before:
How much are we willing to do? Only to the point of our comfort, or do we go beyond that to keep the commandments? When we're feeling overburdened, is that us doing OUR will and doing more than we can? In this case we would not be relying on Jesus.
Mathew 11:28

Wondering

As many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. Romans 8:14

JLB

Peace: the peace of knowing they are saved, peace in life. Love and understanding : not being condemned for the things they've done wrong and life and knowing they are loved despite this by God and other believers vs reading post after post that they are evil wicked sinners and we deserve nothing and good hates who we are.

So not true.

God loves you, more than you can comprehend.

In Christ, you are forgiven for your sins you have committed and are a new person, created in the image of God.

He longs to be with you and spend time with you, and to restore you and bless you.

He wants you to know Him, and to be close to Him, and to be filled with His love and His Spirit.

Here is just one of Paul's prayers for us, and since it is inspired by the Holy Spirit and in the bible, you know it comes straight from God's heart.

14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:14-19

That's God's will for your life.

Anyone of these prayers that Paul prays like this, is for you to "take hold of" and pray for yourself, knowing it is God's will for you, personally.

Here is your prayer for today, as long as it is "today".

Heavenly Father,

I come to you today in the name of Jesus,

I pray that I ...may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Father God, please fill me with your fullness, that I may experience the love of Christ, that goes beyond the knowledge in my head...

Begin to pray this and thank God for this, and praise His wonderful name for this everyday, and you will begin to experience Him as never before.

God is for you, who can be against you!

JLB

I know we have the sin nature - it's not dead.
If you still have the sin nature, that is, if you are still in the flesh, then you have not been born again:
"you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you." (Romans 8:9 NASB)

By virtue of having the Spirit we are NOT in the flesh anymore, the flesh being defined by Paul as having a mind set on the desires of the flesh. If one's mind is set on the desires of the flesh he is either simply not born again, or he is living contrary to his new nature in profound disobedience.

But the bottom line is, If a change of mind has never occurred that person simply is not born again. Smaller said something to the effect of if we're honest with ourselves none of us go more than two seconds without sinning. That would be describing the mind still set on the desires of the flesh, IMO. That's hardly describing a born again person. It certainly doesn't describe me....never has, as a Christian, I mean. That doesn't mean I haven't struggled with sin. It means I've had a different mind about sin since being born again. That's been one thing that has been completely undeniable.

It pangs me to hear Christians talk about living in utter defeat to sin with no hope of ever having victory over it. That to me is a worthless gospel. It's all part of this distorted grace gospel that is presently gripping the church.

If you still have the sin nature, that is, if you are still in the flesh, then you have not been born again:
"you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you." (Romans 8:9 NASB)

3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Romans 8:3-9

"In the flesh", in verse 9 is a reference to "under the law, without the Spirit".

Paul has just finished teaching them they are free from the law... But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. Romans 7:6

What died was the law, with the body of Christ. We also died with Christ [symbolically], in Baptism, and were resurrected [symbolically] with Him, that we should walk with Him in the newness of life.

Paul says, "in the likeness" of His death and resurrection.

5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:5-11

The sin within our flesh, is still alive, which is why he says that we should "reckon ourselves dead to sin".

We have now been given the power, to "put to death", which is to say, mortify the deeds, that come from our sin nature within our flesh, that is still very much producing sinful desires that long to be gratified and expressed through our bodies.

... but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. Romans 8:12

If we were to give in and give up and go back to the world and begin to live as before, we would find out that the sin nature within our flesh, would overcome us and reign and rule us as before.

Which is why Peter warns us of this very thing -

20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 2 Peter 2:20-21

The sin nature is subdued, by the Spirit of God empowering us to overcome. Not by keeping the fleshly commandments contained in ordinances of the law of Moses. This is the point Paul makes in Romans 8, as he illustrates to those "who know the law" [Jews] from his example in Romans 7, in which he illustrates the One who gave the law, their former Husband, became flesh and died, so they are now free to be married to the One who gives the Spirit, He who is raised from the dead.

Therefore we are debtors, not to the flesh, the outward expressions of keeping the law of Moses, which have no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Example: Removing yeast from your home during Passover week, does not remove the sin from our life, but points to the Passover Lamb who takes away our sin.

JLB

By virtue of having the Spirit we are NOT in the flesh anymore, the flesh being defined by Paul as having a mind set on the desires of the flesh. If one's mind is set on the desires of the flesh he is either simply not born again, or he is living contrary to his new nature in profound disobedience.

But the bottom line is, If a change of mind has never occurred that person simply is not born again. Smaller said something to the effect of if we're honest with ourselves none of us go more than two seconds without sinning. That would be describing the mind still set on the desires of the flesh, IMO. That's hardly describing a born again person. It certainly doesn't describe me....never has, as a Christian, I mean. That doesn't mean I haven't struggled with sin. It means I've had a different mind about sin since being born again. That's been one thing that has been completely undeniable.

It pangs me to hear Christians talk about living in utter defeat to sin with no hope of ever having victory over it. That to me is a worthless gospel. It's all part of this distorted grace gospel that is presently gripping the church.
Hi Jethro,
I can't do better than JLB.

As I read your post, the scripture that came to mind was Romans 8:5 and, as to be expected, he did quote that.

Just let me assure you that I don't feel defeated toward sin, if your reference is to me. Jesus has won sin and satan and I feel truly free - free from the BONDAGE of sin.

Romans 8:9 means we are not thinking to satisfy the flesh anymore, or the sin nature - but if the spirit of God dwells in us, we are indeed in the spirit. We share in the spirit of God. God breathed His breath into Adam and gave him life in Genesis 2:7 Then man fell. Jesus has restored the original condition through the Holy Spirit.

You bring up the grace movement. Jethro, what YOU believe is closer to the grace movement! If one is not careful, he could take this gospel to mean that we're totally able to sin and God will forgive us everything. Since, as you say, we no longer have the sin nature - how could we sin? You're going to say the flesh, but it's the same thing. Now, I know this is not what the grace movement means, Joseph Prince has said it 1,000 X. However, it could be misunderstood.

I'm saying the opposite. We still have the capability to sin because of our sin nature. But it has been WON, it has been put under dominion - it's separate from our SPIRIT which has now become part of our nature.

Must go till later.

Wondering

A lot that is said here goes against everything i was ever taught about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and what the cross means. In the short amount of time that I've been here on this forum trying to find answers they only thing i have found consistently is condemnation, conflicting information, and confusion. I know that the people i have been speaking with love God and Jesus to the best of their ability so I'm not trying to down or dog anyone. All I'm trying to say is if that's how i feel and have seen what do others see. Why would anyone think they can find peace and love and understanding being a Christian. Blessed are the peace keepers for they will inherit the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek. Those scriptures come to mind. What's right, what's wrong and how can we all be on the same page?. Why are there 50 different posts about the same thing all ending in a different answer and the same tired old arguments. I certainly don't know. All i know I'd when i read posts like these i don't feel encouraged, loved, or certain about who God is and what he wants.

Hi Warrior4Jesus,
It can become very confusing at times and that is why it is so important that each of us study the word of God on our own as the Holy Spirit reveals all truth to us, John 14:26. I know there are others that have more knowledge in the word of God, but we also need to try the spirits that are speaking to us, 1John 4:1-4, as there are only two spirits that operate as one is the spirit of truth and the other the spirit of error. You have that anointing in you from the Holy Spirit and no man can teach us apart from the Holy Spirit teaching them first, 1John 2:27. I love your eagerness to seek out truth and the Holy Spirit will guide you in your understanding, God bless you as you draw closer to Him.

Those of us who have children may understand .. Love comes in different forms...
Because we love our children we scold them for things/ideas that can harm them.
Running out in the street ... hanging around with the wrong crowd....
If all parents are to the kids are cuddly Teddy Bears.. is that good?
IF parents are never cuddly Teddy Bears that also is not good...
Consequences to our actions happen in life, both for good and bad.. which can be said 'consequences of sin happens in our lives ..'
overeating ( Gluttony) leaves us with unwanted pounds..
Over drinking ( alcohol) can lead to bad health or jail.
sex sins can lead to STDs or a life situation with a child..
Learning the ways of the Lord lead to blessings . .He has left us with a detailed path for everyday living..
Sorta as parents forgive their children God forgives us.. He is Grace & Mercy. He does not hold us to our sins
yet the consequences can still be there... to the glutton .. forgiven but fat..
Should well continue to dwell in the consequences or strife to overcome them..

After you have being born again, and have received the Holy Spirit, then the transformation can begin, which includes repenting of sins, and iniquities.

This is the process of becoming a son of God, in which we can be led by the Spirit, and eventually walk with God as Jesus did.

JLB
You are right old friend. Do you think that this Scripture is in line with your thinking?
Philippians 2:12 "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,"
Hello Chopper,

Can you please post the scripture that says grace means unmerited favor?

As far as I can remember, no verse says as such, there could be but I don't remember. here is a good verse....
Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

And here is "Strong's" definition....
charis
khar'-ece
From G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).
Total KJV occurrences: 156

Christian doctrine has been composed by folk who search out meanings of biblical words and arrive at good meanings. Such is grace. God extended this favor of Salvation to us who didn't deserve it. Jesus died while we were yet sinners. That's grace to the undeserving.

Hi Chopper, This does not sound like what you have been teaching in times past. We all know (born again believers) that no man is justified by the law. We are under the Law of Christ (obedience through His Grace) The obedience is obeying the Spirit of the law that is written in our hearts through grace, not the letter of the Law through the flesh (pride).. We live our lives (born again believer) not by believing by faith, but by faith, trusting in Him and His word through the testimony of his Spirit in us . Obedience does not come by the flesh, but by the Spirit of Christ in whom we fellowship with. I'am not teaching here, I'am testifying on how He has work in me.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not talking about justification. I'm saying, look at the 10 Commandments as a way of living that pleases the Lord. These are moral fingerprints of a Holy God. For instance. "Do not steal" so God doesn't want me to leave my office with my employer with a dozen pencils that he paid for in my pocket. These commands for us today are fundamentals of a holy lifestyle, that's all!!

Our justification from sin is strictly in Jesus the Son of God, not in any Law of Command.

Paul is saying 1 Corinthians 7:12-16
So do you adhere to what Paul is saying or what Jesus is saying?
Jesus said we're not to leave our spouse. Mathew 19:9 He said the divorce law given to Moses was only because men's hearts had become hard but that from the beginning man and wife was of one flesh.
(Deuteronomy 24:1) Mathew 19:8

Are you insinuating that Jesus made an exception regarding being unequally yoked, which is found nowhere in scripture?

Wondering
It's the unequally yoked that causes many to divorce. Would God expect me to stay with an abusive husband that tried to kill me, or would He help me get out of that marriage? Without going into great detail I know it was God who made a way for me to escape my oppressor.

Many seem to pick and choose one scripture to make their point, but we have to compare scripture with scripture, OT with NT as we need the whole and not just the parts that make sense to the carnal mind. This is not to put you down or come against what you believe as I would never do that, but is how we are to study Gods word. I use to believe everything that came out from the pulpit for after all the Pastor is suppose to teach us as the Holy Spirit teaches them. With so many theories on how others teach we find so many conflicting and confusing teachings. When I started to not listen to man, but to discern the spirit that was teaching me I found many teachings of man to be false. I had to get to the place where I started studying Gods word by first praying and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal truth that my Spiritual eyes were opened to truth. One has to have the whole and not just the parts to understand what God has already said.

I have a full class I teach on marriage and divorce on my website that will explain in full detail of that which I have already posted if you would care to read it. Just click on the link at the bottom of my post.

You are right old friend. Do you think that this Scripture is in line with your thinking?
Philippians 2:12 "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,"

As far as I can remember, no verse says as such, there could be but I don't remember. here is a good verse....
Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

charis
khar'-ece
From G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

Christian doctrine has been composed by folk who search out meanings of biblical words and arrive at good meanings. Such is grace. God extended this favor of Salvation to us who didn't deserve it. Jesus died while we were yet sinners. That's grace to the undeserving.

Chopper you are right as there is no particular scripture that defines the meaning of grace, but the Greek defines the meaning as you already posted. Here are some scriptures about grace that we see it is Gods favor even though none of us deserve it.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

1Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Amen to that sir.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not talking about justification. I'm saying, look at the 10 Commandments as a way of living that pleases the Lord. These are moral fingerprints of a Holy God. For instance. "Do not steal" so God doesn't want me to leave my office with my employer with a dozen pencils that he paid for in my pocket. These commands for us today are fundamentals of a holy lifestyle, that's all!!

Our justification from sin is strictly in Jesus the Son of God, not in any Law of Command.
Sorry Chopper, It was confusing. But being a born again believer, the law is pleasing to us also, and it is now sown in our hearts and is an adversary to the Adamic nature. The new man, now, does not go out of it's way to practice sin, but rejoices in all who have that same Spirit because of the fruit it produces.

"In the flesh", in verse 9 is a reference to "under the law, without the Spirit".
Yes, anyone who is still 'in the flesh' is under the authority of the law to arouse sin in them and condemn them for that sin.

The sin within our flesh, is still alive, which is why he says that we should "reckon ourselves dead to sin".
Yes, the impulses of the flesh are still with us. Because of the Spirit being in the Christian we are no longer by nature sinners. When Christians do sin they are acting contrary to their nature. In Christ, them sinning no more means they have the mind/nature of the sinner they once were than barking like a dog makes a human now a dog by nature. If I bark like a dog, it doesn't mean I somehow now have the nature of a dog. It means I'm acting contrary to my real nature. And that hardly means I can't act contrary to my real nature. It simply means I am acting contrary to my real nature. This is Paul's whole point--stop acting like a slave to sin who is still under the authority of a sin nature that is now dead. The law can't make you sin since that nature is gone now and has been replaced by a nature that DOES want to keep the law...and can.

We have now been given the power, to "put to death", which is to say, mortify the deeds, that come from our sin nature within our flesh
No, those desires come from your flesh, not your sin nature. You are by nature, because of the Holy Spirit, no longer a sinner by nature. You have a new nature. Paul is saying, "start acting like it!" Sin is no longer 'you' but sin dwelling in you, that is in your flesh. It's no longer your nature to sin that sin should be coming from that.

If we were to give in and give up and go back to the world and begin to live as before, we would find out that the sin nature within our flesh, would overcome us and reign and rule us as before.
It's not that an existing sin nature overcomes us, but rather that, eventually, deliberate unrepentant sin will result in God withdrawing his Holy Spirit. And it was because of the Holy Spirit that you had the new nature to begin with, so you will in effect lose that new nature and are turned back over to the nature you had before--a mind set on the things of the flesh. But as long as you have the Spirit you are not 'in the flesh' because you have the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9 NASB). I know a lot of Full Gospel type churches define 'being in the flesh' as not walking in the Spirit, but Paul defines 'in the flesh' as not having the Spirit altogether.

As I read your post, the scripture that came to mind was Romans 8:5 and, as to be expected, he did quote that.
Just because you can still think on the desires coming from the flesh, or even your own mind (which is still the flesh) doesn't mean you are by nature what you used to be before you received the Holy Spirit. Are you by nature a dog if you decide you want to purposely think like a dog? Of course not. But that is what you are saying is true about the person who purposely entertains sinful thoughts, that somehow that HAS to mean they are still an unredeemed sinner by nature.

Since, as you say, we no longer have the sin nature - how could we sin?
Boo! Did not say that.
Paul is saying since you have a new nature now, how can you choose to live in the sin that you don't have to do anymore? He says that because the slave driver of our old nature that made us sin, and which the law enforced in us, has been replaced by a new nature that makes us do righteously. We don't have to respond to the impulses of the flesh by nature anymore. We don't have that nature anymore to make that possible. If we are responding to the impulses of the flesh it certainly is not because we still have the old nature of a mind set on the thing of the flesh. We're doing it out of ignorance, perhaps even pride and arrogance, but definitely not because we have to by nature.

We still have the capability to sin because of our sin nature.
No. You still have the capability to sin because you still have an unredeemed flesh body. Your body was not your sin nature...your mind was (don't you remember what it was like before you got saved?????). Paul said you once had a mind set on the desires of the flesh. The desires of the flesh did not go away. The mind SET on the desires of the flesh is what is gone now. So don't act like it still is, and certainly, don't set it back on the desires of the flesh! You will die if you do that. IMO, God will eventually withdraw his Holy Spirit if you reject everything he has done for you and you persist in acting like he did nothing.

Last edited:
Chopper you are right as there is no particular scripture that defines the meaning of grace, but the Greek defines the meaning as you already posted. Here are some scriptures about grace that we see it is Gods favor even though none of us deserve it.
Grace is defined in Scripture. ...."the kindness and love of God, our Savior, toward man"....(Titus 3:4). .........Grace is according to the measure of the gift of Christ. (Eph. 2:7) The one word that would best describe grace is "Salvation", But no man can know what grace is until man see's himself in his true sinful nature. Until then, it is just another word in the Bible.

Peace: the peace of knowing they are saved, peace in life. Love and understanding : not being condemned for the things they've done wrong and life and knowing they are loved despite this by God and other believers vs reading post after post that they are evil wicked sinners and we deserve nothing and good hates who we are. (Often times Grace and mercy, love and understanding don't materialize in these posts ). Peace keepers : the folks who just love unconditionally knowing we are all sinners and each and every are responsible for their own walk and relationship with God and that we shouldn't withhold love because they are sinners.
Meek: Quiet, gentle. The ones that don't run around running their mouth just to hear themselves speak. The ones that speak only when they have something important to say and not a regurgitation of some condemning point of law. About the things that go against what I've been taught and believe do not just resonate in this post and you will have noticed i left out pointing the finger at who and what because it's not for me to argue with others. I simply noticed something and posed the questions so that the Holy Spirit may convict those he will or show me my errors. I have no issues with the OP and i love him very much in Christ as with all of you.

I think we can all be quite assured that God in Christ was is and will remain against all evil and sin.

The difficulty arises when we realize we are sinners, with evil present with us.

Does God in Christ LOVE this about us? I'd have to say...nay. Never happened.

And that's about the point where the fun begins in christian theology. Most want to see themselves as only justified and completely "all that," and all the other people, not. It's a hallmark that comes with the territory. Some see this zone as uncomfortable. Some enjoy trying to figure it out. I quit insulating myself from the more dire aspects of scripture, so I'm somewhat comfortable in that arena. I know the curse of God is personally beneficial.

charis
khar'-ece

The "Strong's" definition is correct. Grace means unmerited favor in theology. Christians must remember we are not saved through theology groups. Theology means opinions. The true meaning of grace is that God has influenced your heart in some way. People will see your life reflecting God. Through what God has done to you, people know something has happen to you because the grace of God has come upon you.

Our Lord Jesus Christ brought us in grace. However, He never mentioned grace in any of His gospels. Grace is mentioned in the Gospels two times (Luke 2:40) (John 1:14-17). Jesus teaches the difference between the "Law of Moses" and "Grace and Truth", Matthew 5:27-42.

The scripture says it like this, "For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ". Jude 1:4

If we want to say we are saved by grace, that is correct. However you say it because I am pleasing God.
And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 1 Peter 4:18

From The Jimmy Swaggart Bible Commentary:

Paul dealt with this problem as well, Due to the fact that Grace abounded over sin, false teachers were claiming that it didn't really matter how much they sinned, because Grace would automatically cover it.

Paul answered that by saying: "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that Grace may abound?" His answer was instant: God forbid, how shall we, who are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 5:20; 6:1-2).

There are others who address the problem of sin, by claiming that the soul and the spirit are made pure and perfect at conversion, and whatever happens in the realm of their physical body, has no bearing on their soul and spirit. Paul addressed this as well.

He said: "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Corinthians 7:1).

This Passage plainly tells us that whatever sinful filthiness takes place in the flesh also is at the same time, taking place in the spirit.

Man is made up of spirit, soul, and body (1 Thess. 5:23). Whatever affects one, affects the other. In other words, it's not possible for one to sin in one's physical body without the soul and the spirit being affect. So the contention of those who claim that their spirit is unaffected by sin, is unscriptural.

To be con't...

Back