Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Soulmates

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi Edward,
Guess I never answered to the above (got an alert this morning).

I've highlighted and underlined 4 sentences. They have to do with this idea of yours that you CHOOSE who you love. I say you don't.

1. You met someone in whom you were interested.
Did you choose to be interested??

2. You ask them over/out to get to know them better.
You ask them over/out BECAUSE you're interested. At this point, you could decide not to, but you're still interested.

3. Then you realize you are falling in love.
Did you choose to fall in love, or did it just happen?

Think of it. Why were you interested in THIS someone? Why not Mary Smith whom you work with every day?
This is what I mean. We are drawn to a particular person when love is involved, we don't choose that person.

Wondering

Ok I've had a little coffee now. Let's see..met someone in whom I'm interested, did I choose to be interested?
Initially...when she very first piqued my interest... perhaps not, for I think that we're hard-wired to be curious and have interest in...(she) who completes me. (Eve, (girls) was taken out of man... so Adam lost a part of himself the day Eve was made..a worthy trade off because now he wouldn't be lonely! Plus, she's dazzling to behold, and smells good...!)

Whoa...Thanks, God!! What a wonderful world it is, that has girls in it..., when a man & women come together and the two become one flesh (once again), there is completion...(and fruit!). Prolly where the saying came from, you complete me. But I digress, so,

No choice for initial interest, we're hard-wired to be interested, however, what do I do with that interest? Pursue it, or cast it down? A choice is then made, to receive it or reject it. If we receive it...WHOOSH! down into the heart to affect the very makeup of our being...

I think I got that right. :chin :yes

2. You ask them over/out to get to know them better.
You ask them over/out BECAUSE you're interested. At this point, you could decide not to, but you're still interested.

Yeah...after you chose to receive it and began pursuing your interest...:wink

I think we can all agree that soul mates are not real.
Anything could interfere with a relationship that could end it.
Soul mates are a dream.
Soul mates are for a while.
Soul mates are never two way.

I'm sorry I started this thread.
It may have given false hope to some people.
There's a reason why we stand alone on judgment day.

But if you can believe that someone is your soul mate for a time, that's a good thing.
Love is always a good thing.
If you think the idea of soul mates isn't really then you haven't found yours. I believe that there is one person that God meant us to be with for life. It is His choice, not ours.

I am with my soul mate. We met when I was 14 years old. He is the true love of my life, my best friend, and my spiritual mate. We think alike, we have the same thoughts at the same time, and God leads us in the same direction at the same time.

We have a very unusual relationship. It is one that nearly everyone dreams of but few find. It came from God and He anoints it.

I learned early on to have a bit of mysteriousness about myself early in a dating relationship by not talking so much about myself. The girls will fill in the holes with their imagination...and will build me up in their mind better than I ever could...

There. Now that's a man secret, so all you girls owe me a dollar each, for sharing.

Any men present didn't know that yet, send 5 lol. That's good insider info...!!
:woot:woot:woot2

I think it just happens. That's what love does, it flows like a river out of your belly...after you choose to expose your spirit to this other spirit, so called them to invite them to togetherness...

Right?
Edward,
You're sweet and right (of course!) and we agree on everything!!!

I learned early on to have a bit of mysteriousness about myself early in a dating relationship by not talking so much about myself. The girls will fill in the holes with their imagination...and will build me up in their mind better than I ever could...

There. Now that's a man secret, so all you girls owe me a dollar each, for sharing.

Could we, like, meet somewhere??
LOL

Wondering

You've let the cat out of the bag. I think you owe all us men $2

If you think the idea of soul mates isn't really then you haven't found yours. I believe that there is one person that God meant us to be with for life. It is His choice, not ours.

I am with my soul mate. We met when I was 14 years old. He is the true love of my life, my best friend, and my spiritual mate. We think alike, we have the same thoughts at the same time, and God leads us in the same direction at the same time.

We have a very unusual relationship. It is one that nearly everyone dreams of but few find. It came from God and He anoints it.
Hi Sandy,
You're one lucky girl.
Thank God every day.

I find that the love of your life may or may not be also a soul mate.
I find that a soul mate may or may not be of a romantic interest.
Anything under God's blue sky is possible, but it sounds like you have it all!

Yeah. If we know each others tricks, how will it ever work????
There is no way on this earth that a man wil ever ever understand a woman's mind and mode of thinking.

What I do know though is that a woman's mind is cleaner than a mans. That's cause you change it more often than men do.

Oscar Wilde once said "A woman is meant to be loved, not understood"

I'm sorry Edward. How could you dare to say there is no such thing as a soulmate?
Apparently you've never had one.

Apparently not. I thought I did at one point...but soulmates don't leave do they? I would think not.
You've let the cat out of the bag. I think you owe all us men $2

I know, I thought of that. But wondering asked some good honest questions, and I couldn't help myself, so we'll call it even on that, lol.

I'm sorry Edward. How could you dare to say there is no such thing as a soulmate?
Apparently you've never had one.

I also don't agree that you could fall in love with anyone if the circumstances permit it.
What you say about being stranded on an island is called Desperation, not Love.

It is possible to be in love with a person that is not a soulmate.
And it's possible to have a soulmate with whom you feel no eros type of love, but an agape love.

It would be interesting to know what you think Soulmate means.

Wondering

Wondering love is a strange thing..sometimes the people we love cannot reciprocate or vice versa. I got married and thought that it would be forever. But he eventually walked away. I cannot say he was my soul mate. I believe that we know the person that we love. The person may be attached which is painful. To find someone that we truly care deeply about and they care the same is rare indeed. I think loving that kind of intense should be reserved only for God. By the way the bible nowhere as far as I know states that a woman should love her husband....:shock Women are commanded to submit.
Ephesians 5. 25
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her.

Colossians 3. 18
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

Last edited:
There is no way on this earth that a man wil ever ever understand a woman's mind and mode of thinking.

What I do know though is that a woman's mind is cleaner than a mans. That's cause you change it more often than men do.

Oscar Wilde once said "A woman is meant to be loved, not understood"

A woman is meant to be loved, not understood":thumbsup

That's the thing, right here. No one can tell her that soulmates don't exist! So...what is it?...how did my (soulmate) leave, and hers didn't?

Honor. She has a man with honor, and more than that, she has honor. So the inclination is to honor your mate. Lift them up and carry them with you in your heart. They obviously do this for each other.

I did it too, for my ex-wife. I had plenty of opportunity to cheat on her, but didnt. I thought it through and realized that (nothing ever stays hidden) if I cheated on her it would dishonor her (and me) and crush her heart. She was good to me, loved me, so I didn't want to be that guy.

Unfortunately, my ex-wife had no honor, so no soulmate there. Even though we did love each other for a time, and was spiritually focused on each other, so the connection was real and the love flowed... enough to be able to say, soulmates. But it wasn't soulmates, just love. When honor was laid down, the love stopped flowing.

Honor. There must be honor present for love to last.

Wondering love is a strange thing..sometimes the people we love cannot reciprocate or vice versa. I got married and thought that it would be forever. But he eventually walked away. I cannot say he was my soul mate. I believe that we know the person that we love. The person may be attached which is painful. To find someone that we truly care deeply about and they care the same is rare indeed. I think loving that kind of intense should be reserved only for God...

I can relate to this. I thought that we'd be together forever too. We were past all that, settling in and so forth, having been together for 23 years, but the grass sure looked greener next door I suppose.
But...cannot reciprocate? What does this mean? That he had no honor? If you love her, and would honor her as wife, then choices are made to commitment. For better or for worse, thick or thin, things will work themselves out. An honorable man knows this, and will feed his love for her to her, daily. (I failed this in that if I had been the spiritual leader as I ought to have been...she might not have walked away). You may be right that the level of relationship & love that we're talking about should be (is only possible?) With God. Maybe human marriage is a dry run for a real loving relationship with God? We know God is true, but can we be? :wink

... By the way the bible nowhere as far as I know states that a woman should love her husband....:shock Women are commanded to submit.
Ephesians 5. 25
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her.

Colossians 3. 18
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

A very astute observation Sister. Perhaps even a prophetic shadow of our duty as believers/bride of Christ to fully submit unto the Lord? Makes sense.

By the way the bible nowhere as far as I know states that a woman should love her husband....:shock
"3Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, 4so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." (1 Titus 2:3-5 NASB)

"3Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, 4so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." (1 Titus 2:3-5 NASB)

hello Jethro Bodine, dirtfarmer here

Abide is correct. The love(agape) that men are commanded toward their wife is the sacrificing type. Just as Christ bears with us in our weakness and frailty, we are to be likewise toward our wife. Christ brings us alone with love and gives himself up for us, a willingness of self sacrifice, but no where are wives instructed to reciprocate that type of love to her husband.

Titus 2:4 the word love is translated from the Greek word "philandrous " which is similar to love for a friend type, not a self-sacrificing agape type love as is required from the husband.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back