Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Taking a break from God !

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Tina

Today is Monday and I just feel like taking the day off and doing nothing much but relaxing. I feel like taking a break from God ! :biggrin

Have you ever felt this way ... Is it wrong?

Church staff work 6 days a week, diligently praying, fasting and worshipping God almost on a daily basis - and this is in addition to their daily office duties.

Come rest day, which is usually Monday or some other weekday, they just want to take a break.

I am not a church worker but sometimes do feel like taking a break from God... Even happily married couples feel like getting away from their spouse every now and then, don't they ? :shrug

Well, the Lord Jesus Himself said, Come ye aside and rest a while.

But we do need the presence and grace of God constantly.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

What I meant was lasting a whole day without bible, praying, worshipping.... I wonder how long a Christian can actually last like that ? :chin

I just want to stay home and do nothing or go out and do anything ! :biggrin

Often if we just relax, we don't necessarily have the Bible open in front of us; like if a Bible verse has come to mind, it can stay in one's mind for hours, or maybe a hymn or spiritual song is going through our minds while we relax. (Better than listening to a bunch of politicians on TV ...) :)

Today is Monday and I just feel like taking the day off and doing nothing much but relaxing. I feel like taking a break from God ! :biggrin

Have you ever felt this way ... Is it wrong?

Church staff work 6 days a week, diligently praying, fasting and worshipping God almost on a daily basis - and this is in addition to their daily office duties.

Come rest day, which is usually Monday or some other weekday, they just want to take a break.

I am not a church worker but sometimes do feel like taking a break from God... Even happily married couples feel like getting away from their spouse every now and then, don't they ? :shrug

Matthew 11:28-30"Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

so you're taking a rest Tina, that would be refreshing. Take time to refresh your self in a godly way it will surely help you to be at your best. People think if you look after yourself you're being selfish, but in my opinion , if you credit your needs first, you will be the best person, daughter, sister, girlfriend, mom, or wife, son , husband or brother…

Just that, we as Christian must refrain from too much idleness. When King David did not go to war and was idle he met temptation in the form of Batseba, and the rest was history…

Matthew 11:28-30"Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

so you're taking a rest Tina, that would be refreshing. Take time to refresh your self in a godly way it will surely help you to be at your best. People think if you look after yourself you're being selfish, but in my opinion , if you credit your needs first, you will be the best person, daughter, sister, girlfriend, mom, or wife, son , husband or brother…

Just that, we as Christian must refrain from too much idleness. When King David did not go to war and was idle he met temptation in the form of Batseba, and the rest was history…

God's gift:

Yes, the Matthew 11 passage is so, so relevant.

It's so important to learn to let the Lord take the burden.

So often we want to burden ourselves with what the Lord can take off our hearts and minds and consciences.

I agree with Gg and then Farouk, if you don't neglect Him speaking to you. But, knowing you, Tina, I don't think you would or could go an entire day without making Him a part of your day. You may not open your Bible or get on your knees, but you won't resist the Holy Spirit as He impresses Himself on your heart.

So no, you cannot take this break from God. Not in a train, not in the rain, not with a fox, not in a box, not on a boat, not with a goat. Try it, try it, you will see. You will not do it, Tina T. :)

Jonah tried it, and look where that got him! :tongue

Tina

It's not possible to take a break from God. He's always there. No matter what you do or where you go. What Jesus did was to go off by himself, away from people, so that he was alone, just him and his Father. What did he say or do? Not much is recorded.

But just in human terms, how many friends and lovers alike do you know, or at least know about, who can be in one another's presence and not say or do anything? Just be in one another's presence? And they are perfectly comfortable, happy, and restful there? It is their place of break and peace.

There's nothing wrong in what you're a thinkin. It's normal to want to get away once in a while. But it seems to me that everyone should also once in a while experience the presence of God in a venue where no other human is around. Where he expects nothing from you and you expect nothing from him. Except to just stand, sit, or lie in one another's presence; basking in that which surpasses all understanding. It's hard to take a break from that.

FC

My wife 'took a break from God'...eleven years ago this August. She hasn't been back since.

I know that's not the kind of break you're talking about, lol. It just reminded me of what my wife said to me.

Taking a break from ministering on the Lord's behalf I understand perfectly. After all, we are still just flesh and blood. But I would not consider taking a break from God himself for even a single moment. I'm that dependent on him now in my life. I couldn't imagine life without God. I'd rather die.

Us regular folk tend to think too highly of ourselves in regard to our gifts and tend to impose burdens on ourselves that God did not put.

Romans 12:3
"3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."

Many times the church will be quick to impress a heavier burden of ministry and service on Christians than what their faith and calling actually requires of them. Paul says to soberly consider the calling and faith we each have from God to work for him. It's your call Tina.

Jethro Bodine

My wife 'took a break from God'...eleven years ago this August. She hasn't been back since.

Your older than I pictured.you. What do you mean that your wife took a break from God? Were the two of you in some kind of ministry together back then?

FC

What I meant was lasting a whole day without bible, praying, worshipping....
I just want to stay home and do nothing or go out and do anything !
Ok, NOW I get it!

I get like that every so often... I don't worry about it and I am sure God does not get upset over it.

How can you know how good you feel in His presence, if you never LEAVE it?

You are normal, and God reached out to you way before you called upon Christ's name. I see no harm in this - but if you actually TRY to see how long you can do... well................................... just don't try it, ok?

What do you mean that your wife took a break from God? Were the two of you in some kind of ministry together back then?

FC
No, not in ministry...just a married couple trying to resolve the typical differences and struggles married people deal with. She threw the towel in and said she was going to take a break from God for a while. I knew when she said it that people usually don't come back from such a decision...and that she was sealing the fate on our marriage until she did.

I know that Tina isn't talking about that kind of a decision. It just made me think of what my wife did. For Tina, I'm thinking of that verse in Ecclesiastes that talks about not being overly righteous or something like that.

Ah, here it is:

"Do not be overrighteous...why destroy yourself? (Ecc. 7:16 NIV)

Last edited by a moderator:
Us regular folk tend to think too highly of ourselves in regard to our gifts and tend to impose burdens on ourselves that God did not put.

Romans 12:3
"3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."

Many times the church will be quick to impress a heavier burden of ministry and service on Christians than what their faith and calling actually requires of them. Paul says to soberly consider the calling and faith we each have from God to work for him. It's your call Tina.

splendid!

Should pastors not go on leave, that is if they go at all.?

Of course! They do, but that ain't what I'm talking about. They go on leave to get away from work, not from God.

I tried to take a break from God yesterday but didn't quite succeed. I got part of my eyebrow ripped off after peeling off my facial mask... :o

Found myself praying to God to grow back and restore my brow .... :pray :pray :pray

:lol

Of course! They do, but that ain't what I'm talking about. They go on leave to get away from work, not from God.

I tried to take a break from God yesterday but didn't quite succeed. I got part of my eyebrow ripped off after peeling off my facial mask... :o

Found myself praying to God to grow back and restore my brow .... :pray :pray :pray

:lol

i am waiting for farouk to say have a tatooed eyebrow :lol:lol:lol
well, tina just a brown or black eyebrow liner will do for us girls.
what kind of facial mask? care to share some beauty tips? ;)hehehe:)

i am waiting for farouk to say have a tatooed eyebrow :lol:lol:lol
well, tina just a brown or black eyebrow liner will do for us girls.
what kind of facial mask? care to share some beauty tips? ;)hehehe:)

God's gift:

Well, maybe you are more expert than me, there....

Back