Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Talk Like a Pirate

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
View attachment 3526

ITLAP Day: Abandon hope, all ye who enter thar

The storm's ben a-brewing far mos' all dis yar! The day, they say, 'tis almos' upon us. Tomorrow be da momentious moment ye ban wait'n for. Grab yer grog, maties! Trim yer sails and set course for Ye Old Talk like an international idiot, errrrr... I means ta say, Pie-rat!

Cap'n Saprrow at yer service.

Avast me hearties! The weather is clear for sailing into ITLAP Day, tomorrow, matey!

No, scourge me for the scurvy dog I be... 'tis not tomorrow, but 'tis still yet and hence days three. The 19th is coming... the 19th is coming

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrrr.. 'dat Depp 'as tak'n da booty an' clutched it mightily unto his bosom, being da' poo' foo' that 'e is. Yet thar remains the possibility 'dat he, yea, even he may hear da voice a-callin' or' da breeze. Pray, I say, for thar be none else may we do. 'Tis fame and celebrity that confounds even the stars themselves.

"Quips and snails and puppy-dog tail..."
"Tha's what little boys are made of, made of.
"That's wha' lit'l boys are made of."

With the very believable stumbling and bumbling, with the exceptional scripting and the match between character conceived together with character portrayed we may suspend disbelief and escape into a land and a time that carries the imagination so well. How often does this one "stumble" into the blessing? What was that? Did he trip and stumble into that rigging only to be flung onto yonder ship outside the reach of the enemy? How fortuitous, right? The question comes as others ponder for us, "Did he plan that?"

No man can.

It speaks many things into the hearts of many. Wisdom and Folly, the walk of the wayward sailor and even the martial art called the "drunken defense" all seem to collide into one person, larger than life. There are other struggles seen that may captivate. Will the hero get the girl? Will the girl become a Cap'n in her own right? So many mysteries of the written word, often spoken, seldom heard.

I was speaking to my son about his favorite move, "Fight Club" yesterday. He mentioned that he must have seen it forty (40) times or so. So I waited, saying nothing, knowing that a pearl was about to be shared.

"It's not about what everybody thinks it's about," he began. "It's about how our things, the things that we own, actually make us their slaves." He developed the idea of his insight further saying, "We need furniture because we must fill the house we own." I could see that owning one thing begets owning another. A thought of Jesus having no bed to call his own whispered itself into me.

Having seen "Fight Club" a couple two times myself, it made sense. My son continued with many examples and his thematic discussion was brought out, opened up to bloom there, in the words that were shared and hung in the air between us.

My thought echo'd his. "It is also about the struggle of a man with two inner faces, of one person fighting and struggling inside of himself."

I was moving my son toward understanding the battle between Ye Ol' Flesh-man and the Spirit man, reborn.

He pondered what I had said, and mind you, I said nothing about my inner reflection, only the comment about the inner struggle of the protagonist of the movie and my young man (now 29 years of age) agreed. I didn't mention that we are all called to become overcomers trusting the Lord to show this, to open this thought (at the right time, His, not mine) for me to him (our son).

There are so many themes woven into our tales and stories. The story of Pygmalion, for instance, seen in so many places. The Romeow and Mewliette story of love that my kitties were named after. I like stories, as you may know. Certain aspects, certain themes of the great stories, the fall of those from the highest places to the lowest of lows is part of what is called "The Greek Tragedy". Why do these common elements appeal and appease? They discuss in many ways, the things that are answered through study of the Words of Life. They too may be taken as gleaning from the field of another, yet we know that we are not to follow the ways of any other.

My sheep know my voice and they shall not follow the voice of another.

WE are safe in His arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you guys know you can set facebook to Pirate English? It's really hillarious. Try it.

[video=youtube;BwUWcvPuFiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwUWcvPuFiU[/video]

I had my settings set to pirate for quite a while, but it got distracting after a while. I may switch it back for brief periods of time, but not as long as I had before.

Just bouncing around the web today. Kind of waiting to hear on a few different job leads.

Did you talk like a pirate yesterday?

Arrrr, me matey! I did indeed.

Unto me was given the pleasure to have spoken in the dialect of the pirate to grandchildren who have also rec'd instruction and guidance as well as introduction to the subject of ITLAP in 1st grade schools. T'was my pleasure to have spoken to quite some few here on the forum and main deck of ye ol' CF.net as well as some places yonder amid ships. Phone conversations included greetings of pirate talk and smatterings of some very descriptive language, as well as a couple turns o' phrase offered to educators and faculty of our higher education campuses local to me.

My favorite? Yep, as you may guess, it was the talk with the grandchildren, the fruit of my loins, if you would allow me to call them by that moniker, those of my namesake, Sparhawk, and my sons that was found to be, by me, yours truly, the wind that filled my sail that fine day of yesterday especially as memories of yesteryear, some three times removed, when my son of elder age was married and who also celebrated in another way with a wife whose sails are filled in yet another way.

(PS - She's pregnant).

SO Yes, this here Cap'n Sapprow was delighted yet again by a day where we may play and plan and be guided by winds of many manners, blown from many parts of yonder earth. No one knows the true origin of the wind, it blows invisible to the eye, yet we feel its touch.

How a pirate talks: "I just downloaded a terabyte of music for free"

Also if you look at the language settings on facebook, I believe there is a "talk like a pirate option". At least there used to be one.... google it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back